Character limit in posts.

Not Quite Dead

Unlimited I am certain, but the post has to have substance to it lest it be chopped up by a staff member's plural sai of judgement, or just smashed all-together by their war-hammer of possible banning.

• Upvote 1

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

No, there's definitely a limit. That's the problem Tiragath and I (and probably others as well) are having; trying to figure out what it is, so we can make longer posts over in the RPG forum without fear of them getting randomly cut off. 

• Upvote 1

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

According to this link, somewhere around 60 K (including spaces and line breaks).

Tried testing it out myself the old fashioned way a little while ago by inputting the number 1 over and over again without either. Got bored and gave up around 37,518.

• Upvote 1

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

According to this link, somewhere around 60 K (including spaces and line breaks).

Tried testing it out myself the old fashioned way a little while ago by inputting the number 1 over and over again without either. Got bored and gave up around 37,518.

Actually, the information I gave there was false! If you look down further in that thread, you'll see Black Six says:

The site doesn't care about how many words or characters you have, it cares about overall filesize. This includes all the characters you see, as well as all of the formatting and BBCode, and some things you can't see like line-breaks. So 60,000 characters with no formatting can take up the same amount of space as 30,000 characters with different fonts, links, banners, etc.

So, in a nutshell, there isn't a character limit on BZPower. However, each post has a filesize limit.

-Rez

Hm.... but it seems to take several days for that limit to kick in and cut posts? 

Embers - A Bionicle Saga - Chapters/Review

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Hm.... but it seems to take several days for that limit to kick in and cut posts? 

Many times, at least in my experience, if you aren't going over the filesize limit, any cut-outs occur after you attempt to edit a post. Sometimes cutting the original text and then pasting it back in will fix your cutoff issues. :) Otherwise, you're probably hitting that filesize limit, and you may need to reduce the amount of characters in the post and/or remove any other items, like images, which take up filesize.

-Rez

Actually, the information I gave there was false! If you look down further in that thread, you'll see Black Six says:

The site doesn't care about how many words or characters you have, it cares about overall filesize. This includes all the characters you see, as well as all of the formatting and BBCode, and some things you can't see like line-breaks. So 60,000 characters with no formatting can take up the same amount of space as 30,000 characters with different fonts, links, banners, etc.

So, in a nutshell, there isn't a character limit on BZPower. However, each post has a filesize limit.

-Rez

I'll admit to missing that since I originally found the topic after my test and decided to scim a little bit because of how draining typing was.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

IE, how many characters (1, A, !) can a single post have?

Unlimited.  Unlike the Lego forum when your allowed to only use 2000 words(Character).

This is incorrect. Please read the post of mine above that Reznas quoted.

The maximum size of a post is 2500 kilobytes.

I read it and I get it and don't get it.  Why can't there be unlimited words?  And either way, it feels like its unlimited.  

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html

I read it and I get it and don't get it.  Why can't there be unlimited words?  And either way, it feels like its unlimited.  

Clearly it's not unlimited, or this topic wouldn't be here. As I said above, the maximum size of a post is 2500 kilobytes. Everything you type into a post takes up space. Every character takes up at least a byte of space. That puts a theoretical maximum of about 2.5 million characters in a single post. But all the formatting, images, emoticons, etc, also take up space, reducing that number significantly.
  • Upvote 6

Clearly it's not unlimited, or this topic wouldn't be here. As I said above, the maximum size of a post is 2500 kilobytes. Everything you type into a post takes up space. Every character takes up at least a byte of space. That puts a theoretical maximum of about 2.5 million characters in a single post. But all the formatting, images, emoticons, etc, also take up space, reducing that number significantly.

I get it now.  Thanks!

A signature is supposed to be this:

Jaeger_Gipsy_Danger_Decal_02.png

and BTW https://screen.yahoo.com/star-trek-convention-000000768.html