Jump to content

Suggestion : Canon-locking Gen 1 (poll)


  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

I'll make this a short post as it's fairly self-explanatory but we've started seeing a lot of discussion about what is and is not, what should and should not be considered canon again recently... I can't help but post this without coming off a little hypocritical as I'm actually genuinely interested in resizing the GSR and therefore ignoring Greg's figure but that's discussion for somewhere else...

 

The point of this poll is instead to suggest we ask Greg to canon lock Gen 1 meaning he would no longer agree to canonise or retcon things for us, the community. I think recent retcons have done as much harm as good and now they're actually seeking to actively retcon information we already have it would seem to me that enough is enough...

 

So vote here, do you think it would be a good idea to put a stop to any future canonisations from Greg? Consider by the way that this would be with his approval, not just a bunch of fans who disagree with the practice ganging up and denouncing him! In effect, what I am suggesting is that Greg canonises the fact that he can no longer canonise things. Kind of like a genie granting a wish that he will no longer be a genie :P

 

I like how Greg has always remained in touch with the community and wouldn't suggest any of us would necessarily want that to stop as he can still clarify things to us and even suggest his own opinion on things in the future. It simply puts an end to the 'word of Greg' phenomenon where anything he says is immediately etched in stone canon. This could even be better than our current process as we would be getting impartial input from the original writer but we would no longer be forced to accept it as fact. It would make he more like a preacher and less like a God and I think that would be a step forward for all of us. Maybe he would even return to the forum if he wasn't constantly being badgered with these silly requests (though unlikely) He definitely deserves a break after all he's given us though and this is definitely a good way to do it so I put it to a vote to see how popular this is as an idea. Please vote before you read any further posts so we can get an unbiased result, though I think I know how this one will end :D

 

So to clarify. Canon-locking Gen-1 would nullify the 'word of Greg' moving forward but have no effect on previous statements, decisions or canonisations. It is not intended to shut Greg out of the community and could hopefully bring him back into it on a personal level. We can still discuss all of our theories just as we do now and even ask Greg what he thinks but Greg's response would no longer be accepted as factually true but simply his personal opinion. It would level the playing field and protect any previously established facts from retconning while allowing what little untapped story potential to remain as grey areas to be interpreted by fanfiction in the future.

 

I've included a don't know/don't care option simply because I know some people won't and it'll be interesting to know which of these three groups (not just the two) is most vocal on the topic. I think my vote is pretty well known so I'll start us off! Will leave this up for the forseeable future and see where it goes, please take a moment to vote if you made it this far ;)

  • Upvote 3

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

 

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would say lock it: one of the great things about a story is the potential for various interpretations and messages people can draw from them. If someone were to add more and more information to the canon, it would ruin the point of interpretation, since the new canon could nullify the ideas with a word. Keeping the story the way it is now seems best to me.

Not Tikicrazy. Not Tikiloco. Just plain ol' Tikiturbo.

 

Check Out My S&T 7 Entry: "Teacher" Below

 

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=7740

 

KINGDOM HEARTS Fan? PM me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BZP has gotten a lot of trivial things canonized, but now a few people want to add more girls and suddenly it's a problem.

Funny how this poll wasn't made until something involving gender was proposed.

 

Look, I am not an SJW. I'm not even a feminist. But there have been so many ignorant, uninformed ideas about gender posted in these threads that I'm about to McFreakin lose it.

 

Yes the MU has gender. Yes the lack of female characters affected people who liked Bionicle in a negative way.

 

There's no named characters of Plasma that would be changed so why is it such a crime to take advantage of a canon loophole?

  • Upvote 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What people should be doing, in my opinion, is writing their own fan stories with their ideas for canon.  Such a small cross section of the fandom is even going to learn about newly-canonized ideas at this point that you're just better to put your creativity to work and make something.  Who knows?  You might even find that you're good at it.

  • Upvote 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

BZP has gotten a lot of trivial things canonized, but now a few people want to add more girls and suddenly it's a problem.
Funny how this poll wasn't made until something involving gender was proposed.

Actually, it's not the first time people try to lock gen1. It happened with the Toa Cordak canonization, it happened during the "mass canonization" about Toa Mangai. That's nothing new, and no, that's not specific to feminizing BIONICLE.

 

As to lock gen1 canon... The main issue is that it's not something the community can decide. Greg clearly stated that it was something that was up to LEGO, not fans.

  • Upvote 5

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

-- Greg Farshtey

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll say this is a bad idea, you might get the man offended and strain the relationship that BZP has with Greg in terms of dictating what would be canon or not.

I just think in the case of "who are you to tell me to stop canonizing my story" BZP will have less liberty to make their impact, and this privelage will perhaps go into the hands of the younger fans at LMB who might not put in a lot of thought if they ask for something to be canonized, while here at BZP we have actually started discussing things before shooting then at Greg. On that note, really proud of the community. :')

  • Upvote 2

                      Archon                      


***


"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."


 


Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!


***Toa Kyraan***

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No. I do not think there should be a cannon lock. I have the personal view that additions and evolutions for the gen1 story is a good thing, and keeps it living and breathing.

 

HOWEVER...I can also acknowledge that my view is extreme. What SHOULD be done, and what I've been activly advocating for since I became aware of this debate, is that cannonizations should be a DEMOCRACY. It shouldn't be firing things at greg like a machine gun, it should be ideas, designed, molded, and approved by the community, and sent to Greg (without tricks or manipulations) for approval.

 

The idea of canonizing everything under the sun is way too far. But so is cannon locking.

  • Upvote 5

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

BZP has gotten a lot of trivial things canonized, but now a few people want to add more girls and suddenly it's a problem.

Funny how this poll wasn't made until something involving gender was proposed.

 

This has absolutely NOTHING to do with the current gender debate. If you so wish you may call that the straw that broke the camel's back but nothing more. As Maxim 21 mentioned as as I think ALL of us are aware, there have been many occasions where unnecessary canonisation polls and topics have attracted a great deal of flack and flame over recent years particularly. The gender issue is of note as a recurring issue certainly but that's kind of the point isn't it? The community at large will never agree on anything like this in it's entirety so whatever the outcome it will disappoint a lot of people. The same is true of ANY attempted (and successful) canonisation. A lot of people who voted in the Toa Mangai polls for example did NOT get what they wanted and now something that a majority of people DID NOT vote for is canon (check the polls, they didn't require a majority vote only a marginal victory) 

 

If this post was intended to in some way suggest I have started this poll simply because I feel there is no place for females within the Matoran universe I take extreme offence at such implications. I make my feelings on all matters of canonisation very clear, people just seem to cling onto the gender issue because they see it as some deep-seated political debate into the gender divide within children's playthings.

 

Now hopefully I will only have to ask one time that we do NOT derail this discussion by bringing up such issues again. If you want to go and discuss the gender divide, there are several places to do so, this is not one of them. This is to discuss canon-locking, nothing more...

 

BZP has gotten a lot of trivial things canonized, but now a few people want to add more girls and suddenly it's a problem.

Funny how this poll wasn't made until something involving gender was proposed.

Actually, it's not the first time people try to lock gen1. It happened with the Toa Cordak canonization, it happened during the "mass canonization" about Toa Mangai. That's nothing new, and no, that's not specific to feminizing BIONICLE.

 

As to lock gen1 canon... The main issue is that it's not something the community can decide. Greg clearly stated that it was something that was up to LEGO, not fans.

 

Thanks Maxim, that's interesting stuff! I see what you mean with your latter statement and Greg is right of course, Lego holds the real rights to Bionicle. We don't discuss it with Lego though, it's always been Greg who gives us our extended information and canonisation. I'm not suggesting for a moment that we try to communicate such things with Lego but that has no precedent anyway. Lego has never really had any direct communication with us regarding any of the story details as that was Greg's domain. The point is, since the canonisations are coming from Greg, and not Lego, it's Greg we need to convince to knock it on the head, not Lego... So while it's true Lego could randomly introduce 7 new elements and change the size of the GSR and redistribute genders willy-nilly should they wish to, they most likely never will... I think Greg is the man to talk to as he always has been!

 

I'll say this is a bad idea, you might get the man offended and strain the relationship that BZP has with Greg in terms of dictating what would be canon or not.

I just think in the case of "who are you to tell me to stop canonizing my story" BZP will have less liberty to make their impact, and this privelage will perhaps go into the hands of the younger fans at LMB who might not put in a lot of thought if they ask for something to be canonized, while here at BZP we have actually started discussing things before shooting then at Greg. On that note, really proud of the community. :')

 

I see exactly where you're coming from with this and it is a concern I guess. Personally I would expect him to be fairly grateful for such a suggestion given the amount of time it would free up for him to spend with his family and whatnot but of course Gen1 is still his baby and it's always hard when the kids leave home I guess! I think he would need to be sure that it was something that the community supported as he would be very unlikely to agree to such a lock if it upset a great deal of fans.

 

I do thinkGreg has probably had enough of these questions though and frankly, so many years after the line ended, his answers are becoming less and less reliable. Look at the two big debates going on right now. The size of the GSR and the gender divide. Both are results of him writing something that turned out to be ridiculous on closer inspection. Be it a number that's arguably too big or constantly using male characters and pronouns he made mistakes even when the story was live. Asking him to determine these tiny details now, so many years after the line stopped being the main focus of his work life is asking for trouble! 

 

I think I already mentioned his mix-up with one of the mask canonisation polls for the Mangai (please correct me if I'm getting this wrong) I believe Boidoh had Greg shortlist some masks that could be used by a particular Toa and then put it to the vote. After the vote decided which mask was 'best' Greg changed his mind and decided that the winning choice was actually a uniqe mask or somesuch thing and therefore should not have been included on the shortlist anyway. In this case, it wasn't even Greg canon, he simply took some information which SOME members of the community had decided should be canon and made it so. He didn't need to think about it and it had no relevance. Essentially it was just a hand wave and a head nod and that was it. No wonder Boidoh made so many polls once he realised how easy it was to get pointless stuff canonised!

 

At the end of the day, I didn't create this poll because I thought the forum would rally behind me and go break down Greg's door with a cease and desist order. I'm actually surprised that there is such an even divide in the voting (right now) and I'll continue to be interested in where it goes next whether it stays even or moves either way. I think the difference between Fikou and TOK (pro and anti canonisation) parties is that pro are happy to canonise something that has minimal support wheras anti think it should stay the same without a significant majority. The Mangai canonisations are a good example of this in action as only one of the dozen or so options in each poll got canonised so everyone who voted for something else loses out and then it gets canonised. Sure they can still write it in their fanfic or headcanon it but it's now officially 'wrong'... And that's wrong...

  • Upvote 2

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

 

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's very simple: we don't have the authority to do this.

 

And Munty, I don't think you should make assumptions about how Greg feels about answering questions. His answers have always been curt and occasionally careless, they aren't necessarily signs of frustration or boredom. And Greg has stated many times on the LMB that he only answers questions when he feels like it and that it barely takes up any of his time, so I don't think it's that much of a concern to him. 

  • Upvote 4

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

BZP has gotten a lot of trivial things canonized, but now a few people want to add more girls and suddenly it's a problem.

Funny how this poll wasn't made until something involving gender was proposed.

Actually, it's not the first time people try to lock gen1. It happened with the Toa Cordak canonization, it happened during the "mass canonization" about Toa Mangai. That's nothing new, and no, that's not specific to feminizing BIONICLE.

 

As to lock gen1 canon... The main issue is that it's not something the community can decide. Greg clearly stated that it was something that was up to LEGO, not fans.

 

Ha get rekt  :P . I vote don't know/care. Some people really want things to be canonized, but some don't, and I want to stay neutral. The only thing I'm against is when a canonization goes against canon media, which is why I'm for Toa of Plasma as female, but not Plantlife.

  • Upvote 2

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First off, toa kopaka4372 and Rahkshi Lalonde are correct -- this isn't going to happen. We have no governing body that could enforce a blanket ban on canonization. The only way it'll stop is if Greg stops taking questions himself, and that's up to him.

 

But in a hypothetical scenario in which we could do this, should we ban G1 canonization? I haven't voted yet, because my opinion on the subject has recently changed, and I want to wait a bit and see if it sticks. But at the moment, I would say yes. A few weeks ago, I would have stated that canonization is a great avenue for tying up loose ends and clarifying details of G1. But since then, I've only seen minor and trivial canonizations proposed, nothing really brilliant. I've realized that, like SPIRIT said, all of this can be accomplished more easily and more elegantly in fan works: short stories, animations, roleplaying blogs (shameless plug: dark-hunters-inc.tumblr.com), you name it. As we get further into G2, canonizing minor details of G1 becomes less and less important.

 

It's not that G1 is dead, or that it was perfect and untouchable. It's just no longer being told by LEGO. It's being told by the fans. 

  • Upvote 6
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First off, toa kopaka4372 and Rahkshi Lalonde are correct -- this isn't going to happen. We have no governing body that could enforce a blanket ban on canonization. The only way it'll stop is if Greg stops taking questions himself, and that's up to him.

 

But in a hypothetical scenario in which we could do this, should we ban G1 canonization? I haven't voted yet, because my opinion on the subject has recently changed, and I want to wait a bit and see if it sticks. But at the moment, I would say yes. A few weeks ago, I would have stated that canonization is a great avenue for tying up loose ends and clarifying details of G1. But since then, I've only seen minor and trivial canonizations proposed, nothing really brilliant. I've realized that, like SPIRIT said, all of this can be accomplished more easily and more elegantly in fan works: short stories, animations, roleplaying blogs (shameless plug: dark-hunters-inc.tumblr.com), you name it. As we get further into G2, canonizing minor details of G1 becomes less and less important.

 

It's not that G1 is dead, or that it was perfect and untouchable. It's just no longer being told by LEGO. It's being told by the fans. 

Well put.

  • Upvote 3

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's something I brought up about six months ago (at the beginning of the Toa Mangai nonsense), and Greg offered his perspective on it, as pointed out, which is that he's not for it.

 

Ultimately, I'd say my stance is always what it's has been, in that I'm for "good" canonzation, and against "bad" canonization. The further we go along, however, and there's less and less what could realistically be considered "good", so I'm more likely to vote no. Case in point, the Toa of Plasma changing to female could have been an interesting debate back in the day, but is completely toothless now, and only serves as self-satisfaction.

 

First off, toa kopaka4372 and Rahkshi Lalonde are correct -- this isn't going to happen. We have no governing body that could enforce a blanket ban on canonization. The only way it'll stop is if Greg stops taking questions himself, and that's up to him.

Very true, but since we're the ones going to him WITH the suggestions, there's always the possibility he might take to heart that there is a vocal contingent who's against it. Unlikely, given his comments last time, but all the same.
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have mixed feelings on this whole thing. I don't think Greg should be "locked out" of something he worked so hard on, but I do think we need to stop bothering him with all of this. If we're still doing this five years after the end of G1, who's to say we won't still be at it in another five years? It's going to get real old real fast, and I think we need to nip it in the bud.

By the way, I was looking through the third link on maxim21's post and I found that "pre-existing canon" thing (which I support) that somebody mentioned yesterday. Greg said that just this past October. Even if we dupe him into canonizing anything from here onward, he and the story team and Lego aren't going to recognize it as official; it's just going to be a pat on the head.

  • Upvote 2

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Massive shrug; voted for the middle option. I agree that we can't do this ourselves, much as we would like to, and putting our authority above Greg's just is going to cause even more problems. 

 

If it were me behind the writer's desk making the decision, however, Gen 1 would have been canon locked long ago. There's an appeal in evaluating a complete work as a closed whole as opposed to combing the parts for bits to canonize, leaving the whole thing fluid and unclosed. I'm also noting that it makes fanfics harder to write, because the community can canonize what you thought went along with the canon right out from under you. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Canonization debates have been some of the pettiest, most pointlessly divisive, and needlessly aggressive things I've seen on this website and there's no way I'm going to vote to take all that away.

 

~ BioGio

  • Upvote 4

 

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have mixed feelings on this whole thing. I don't think Greg should be "locked out" of something he worked so hard on, ...

 

That's NOT what is being discussed. Simply that in the future Greg would only being giving us what he thought and felt about the story WITHOUT making it immediately stick in canon. It would actually make it EASIER to talk to Greg about Gen1 if anything as it would mean we could stop worrying about him saying something that doesn't make sense and then trying to work out how to assimilate it into known canon. Noone is trying to take Greg's job away or diminish in any way the role he's played (and is still playing) in Gen1, but we can keeptalking to him about this stuff without it being added to canon for no good reason and that's what this is about.


Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

 

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I voted yes because for all intense and purposes gen 1 is done. It's time to put more energy and focus into gen 2. Yes we can still talk about gen 1 but the primary focus of canonizations and such should be on gen 2. So that's what I think, let's just move on and focus on the now rather than the past.

  • Upvote 1

overwatch-pharah-mission-statement_Thumb

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Voted "Absolutely not", although I am not impressed by how biased the allowed answers are.

 

(I would much rather vote "No" without the "there can never be enough canon" bit that kind of implies that I support thoughtless canonisation for the sake of canonisation, which I do not.)

 

I'm also not sure that this poll makes much sense generally.

You want Greg to declare that his word is no longer automatically canon, right. But you also say that we should still be able to ask him to clarify details of the story. So you want to be able to ask Greg what he meant when he wrote a particular bit of story, but when he answers, you say "No Greg, you didn't mean that when you wrote the story; this new information shouldn't become canon"?

  • Upvote 2
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I have mixed feelings on this whole thing. I don't think Greg should be "locked out" of something he worked so hard on, ...

 

That's NOT what is being discussed. Simply that in the future Greg would only being giving us what he thought and felt about the story WITHOUT making it immediately stick in canon. It would actually make it EASIER to talk to Greg about Gen1 if anything as it would mean we could stop worrying about him saying something that doesn't make sense and then trying to work out how to assimilate it into known canon. Noone is trying to take Greg's job away or diminish in any way the role he's played (and is still playing) in Gen1, but we can keeptalking to him about this stuff without it being added to canon for no good reason and that's what this is about.

I know what you meant; it was simply poor wording on my part.

  • Upvote 1

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Voted "Absolutely not", although I am not impressed by how biased the allowed answers are.

 

(I would much rather vote "No" without the "there can never be enough canon" bit that kind of implies that I support thoughtless canonisation for the sake of canonisation, which I do not.)

 

I'm also not sure that this poll makes much sense generally.

You want Greg to declare that his word is no longer automatically canon, right. But you also say that we should still be able to ask him to clarify details of the story. So you want to be able to ask Greg what he meant when he wrote a particular bit of story, but when he answers, you say "No Greg, you didn't mean that when you wrote the story; this new information shouldn't become canon"?

 

The answers are yes/maybe/no, feel free to ignore the rest of the options they don't have any hidden meaning :P

 

The last part of your post is mostly accurate frankly, I think it's time for Greg to stop adding to canon. Of course if we ask him something specific about why he personally did something or what he specifically thinks about something it's a question only he can answer. Things that Greg has already done in the past are not up for debate, ever. We can't retcon how he thinks or alter the writer's intentions. None of that stuff is particularly relevant though and frankly there probably aren't many good questions left to ask the man, hence the increasingly ridiculous requests he's receiving these days :D Essentially this refers to adding new information or changing old information. If someone asks him to provide specific details regarding the cordak for example (I don't think that's happened yet has it?!) then he can give us his thoughts on the matter but it should NOT be made canon because he's literally making it up on the spot. He doesn't KNOW any more about them than we do so why have him fill in all the blanks when we can let the community do it in a far more personal and enjoyable way with art, MOCs and fiction? We don't have any of that stuff with the Mangai now thanks to the Boidohgate polls...

  • Upvote 1

Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

 

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I voted yes because for all intense and purposes gen 1 is done. It's time to put more energy and focus into gen 2. Yes we can still talk about gen 1 but the primary focus of canonizations and such should be on gen 2. So that's what I think, let's just move on and focus on the now rather than the past.

*intents and purposes  :P

  • Upvote 1

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I voted yes because for all intense and purposes gen 1 is done. It's time to put more energy and focus into gen 2. Yes we can still talk about gen 1 but the primary focus of canonizations and such should be on gen 2. So that's what I think, let's just move on and focus on the now rather than the past.

And if you don't like G2 and want the story of G1 to continue, well... you're living in the past.

 

The same thing happened when they stopped supporting MS-DOS. I like my 586 perfectly fine, thank you very much.

LEGO Republic:

The Valkyrie

The "Christmas Brick"

 

My BZPRPG Profiles

 

Now a proud member of The Kanohi Force

76561198041367047.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll say this is a bad idea, you might get the man offended and strain the relationship that BZP has with Greg in terms of dictating what would be canon or not.

I fail to see why that would be a bad thing.

 

But what's proposed in this topic seems rather ridiculous. We could just stop asking him to canonize things. That's all that's needed.

 

~B~

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I never noticed the whole thing about bugging Greg. It's like children nagging their mom to read them a bedtime story. I'm sorry, and I'll be blunt, but please leave him be? I'm voting Yes because everyone deserves peace and quiet. And as a literary artist, I actually know what he's going through, the stress from constantly being asked about what you've created, to the point where it actually makes you sick. If we keep annoying him, we'll lose him eventually.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

We could just stop asking him to canonize things. That's all that's needed.

tumblr_m83ldp1KBX1rxevt4o1_400.gif

 

I want us to be able to talk to Mr. Farshtey about this wonderful world he and Lego have put together for us -- chat about existing content, ask about the creation process, hear stories about the team, ask about stuff we've yet to talk about (we've covered just about everything at this point, so I don't know off the top of my head what's left), etc. Obviously Lego can continue to canonize whatever they want on their own, but I really think we should lay off on begging them to make every little thing official. This was supposed to be fun, but these debates are making us look bad.

Maybe it's ourselves we should be canon-locking. :P

  • Upvote 7

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

We could just stop asking him to canonize things. That's all that's needed.

tumblr_m83ldp1KBX1rxevt4o1_400.gif

 

I want us to be able to talk to Mr. Farshtey about this wonderful world he and Lego have put together for us -- chat about existing content, ask about the creation process, hear stories about the team, ask about stuff we've yet to talk about (we've covered just about everything at this point, so I don't know off the top of my head what's left), etc. Obviously Lego can continue to canonize whatever they want on their own, but I really think we should lay off on begging them to make every little thing official. This was supposed to be fun, but these debates are making us look bad.

Maybe it's ourselves we should be canon-locking. :P

 

Even though i've never actually taken the time to try and talk with Farshtey, I do agree with this. It's us as the community/fanbase that needs to just stop trying to canonize every little thing. We need to just accept those grey areas and see them for what they are, wonderful little grey areas that allow more artistic freedom/creativity than we could imagine.

  • Upvote 4

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

We could just stop asking him to canonize things. That's all that's needed.

tumblr_m83ldp1KBX1rxevt4o1_400.gif

 

I want us to be able to talk to Mr. Farshtey about this wonderful world he and Lego have put together for us -- chat about existing content, ask about the creation process, hear stories about the team, ask about stuff we've yet to talk about (we've covered just about everything at this point, so I don't know off the top of my head what's left), etc. Obviously Lego can continue to canonize whatever they want on their own, but I really think we should lay off on begging them to make every little thing official. This was supposed to be fun, but these debates are making us look bad.

Maybe it's ourselves we should be canon-locking. :P

 

Even though i've never actually taken the time to try and talk with Farshtey, I do agree with this. It's us as the community/fanbase that needs to just stop trying to canonize every little thing. We need to just accept those grey areas and see them for what they are, wonderful little grey areas that allow more artistic freedom/creativity than we could imagine.

 

 

THIS, ALL OF THIS! This is exactly what I am proposing but the sad truth is we will always have members who are unwilling to stop asking these questions and fans outside of BZP who didn't get the memo so to speak...

 

If everyone here could simply agree that enough is enough and headcanon/fancanon is enough then that would be great but all it wuld take is one wally from off (or on) the site to ask a ridiculous question and somehow have another ridiculous thing canonised and it's all for nought. Without confirmation from Greg that no further additions to the story will be official canon we'll still be stuck in the exact same place. And note how I said 'further additions' meaning we CAN add more content and even hear it from Greg but they'll just be ideas and suggestions, rather than being immediately permalocked into canon and probably massively confusing the good story we already have. 

 

It's not just about intentional additions to canon either. Look at how often people bring up 'Greg quotes' from the LMB and use them in the storyline&theories forum. Every comment Greg has EVER made is accepted as canon. I know I said I didn't want particular examples bringing into this discussion (especially gender!) but look at the debate of gender-swapping that's currently going on. A lot of the posts cite Greg quotes as he says 'he' and 'him' a lot when he answers these questions. So literally that whole argument could be resolved if we had put a canon lock in place years ago. We could interpret Greg saying 'he' as a slip of the tongue or simply choose to ignore it as each and every one of us would be working from headcanons and WAFC (widely accepted fan-canon) If the above were to be taken as an example I don't think there would be much of a debate about gender-swapping certain un-established tribes as not only would it no longer be a retcon, it would also no longer be canon. So even if 96% of the forum agreed that a change to female was a good idea, the 4% who disagreed could write a fanfic with males in and it would still be just as plausible as anything following the WAFC of an all-female tribe.

 

That's what we've lost due to this extensive canonisation, the freedom to explore the Bionicle universe for ourselves. All of those little discoveries we made on the journey from 2001-2010 were what kept us coming back. Now those moments are all gone, and not simply because the story ended. We took those gems away from ourselves by demanding Greg fill in every little last detail for us. Leaving us with no more grey areas and no room for interpretation... 

 

That's why I don't think it's enough for us to just 'stop asking' because the community has NEVER been unanimous before and is unlikely to in the future. Even if all but one person stops asking, there's still the chance that Greg's answers to that last person will contradict previous statements or introduce new, unnecessary and even unwanted facts into canon simply because it's him saying it. If we suggest to him that canon-locking Gen1 is what's best for the story he put so much time into creating though I think it's highly likely he'll understand, even if he doesn't agree! I don't want us to have to stop talking to him or remove him from the community and cut him off from his work. I just hope we can find a way to implement some sort of damage control so we can put an end to this rampant canonisation moving forward...


Check out my Bionicle store on Bricklink here!

> > > Bionic Bricks < < <

 

Let me know if you can help me find these last few collectibles!

Masks%20footer4_zpspqs4myrt.png

Also looking for WILD KRAATA and a VMKK Yo!!!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My stance is that Gen 1 is over, canon should have pretty much been locked in when the story was wrapped up. Locked from both Greg and the community making changes :P

That being said, fan connections and fanon is fine to me. LEGO's all about creativity and imagination. Just be able to differentiate between fanon and canon :P

  • Upvote 2

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An argument I've seen a lot of is "Canonizing new things messes with my already written/future fanfiction".

 

The beautiful thing about fanfiction that makes it such a prevelant artform is that it can pay as much or as little attention to existing cannon as it wants. There is absolutley nothing stoping me from cracking open Microsoft Word, right now, and making Nuju the 2005 traitor as opposed to Vakama.

 

There's even a mechanism within the story for these to still be considered canon, if the writer so wishes: Alternate universes, something which we all know have played a major role in the story since the introduction of the Zivon (I think that was when it was introduced).

 

More than that: a writer shouldn't have to answer to fanfiction when decisions are made as to what did and did not happen within their story. Yes, he is giving fans the ability to change it, but if he really wanted to veto and shoot down an idea, he would, and he does.

 

In addition: the story used to have a LOT more contributions between 2001 and 2010, as we all remember...During that time, fanfiction was written and immediatly canonicly contradicted on a weekly basis. No one spoke of canon locking then, why should we now?

 

Fanfiction is one of the things that makes the Bionicle community so special...but in reality, canon locking helps as much now as it would have back in 2008.

Hi.

If you remember me from when I was most active on BZP, from 2009-2011...

I know I was cringy. But please keep in mind I was literally 12.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not voting, but I don't get why everyone says this is "Greg's" story when it's not. A lot of people worked on it and wrote for it, there was an entire story team after all, and discounting them and their contributions really rubs me the wrong way.

Honestly, I'd like it if the canonizations did end. I'd appreciate it if Greg wasn't the sole arbiter of what is and isn't in the story, considering there were many others who also worked on it alongside him and, to me at least, it always seemed a little... unfair? I suppose, that one member of the story team is the one deciding what goes and doesn't.

Could be the rest don't really care or mind, but I'm mostly bringing this up since this isn't "Greg's" story.

  • Upvote 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not voting, but I don't get why everyone says this is "Greg's" story when it's not. A lot of people worked on it and wrote for it, there was an entire story team after all, and discounting them and their contributions really rubs me the wrong way.

 

Honestly, I'd like it if the canonizations did end. I'd appreciate it if Greg wasn't the sole arbiter of what is and isn't in the story, considering there were many others who also worked on it alongside him and, to me at least, it always seemed a little... unfair? I suppose, that one member of the story team is the one deciding what goes and doesn't.

 

Could be the rest don't really care or mind, but I'm mostly bringing this up since this isn't "Greg's" story.

Glad you brought this up. Most BIONICLE fans don't seem to realize that Greg wasn't the sole writer of the story, just the one we saw the most of due to his interactions with the fans and due to the fact that he wrote the books and the comics. It does make him an easy scapegoat for any problems, though.

 

However, because Greg was indeed the one who actually wrote the books and thus brought the events and characters to us, he had an especially important influence on the story, such as how we interpreted the various events and characters. More so, he did make a lot of important story decisions; a few months ago on the LMB he confirmed that it was him who chose Matoro  to be the Toa to die in 2007. So he's an important figure, and the only reason everyone goes to him now is because he's the only member of the story team still in touch with the fans. We assume that he has behind-the-scene knowledge, including the opinions and decisions of other members of the story team, that influences what he tells us. 

  • Upvote 2

toakopaka.png
Credit goes to Linus Van Pelt (Formerly known as Cherixon) and Spectral Avohkii Enterprises

My Memoirs of the Dead entry, Reflectons:

http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=7351

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Greg canonizes every ###### thing in the Bionicle universe, there will be no room for creativity.

 

Greg is really only canonizing stuff that the fans ask him about.

 

The fans are being creative with their theories.

 

That they ask Greg to canonize.

 

So there is room for creativity. Greg's canonization in the LMB may actually promote it.

 

What in the world are you trying to say anyway? What creativity will be squashed? Where?

  • Upvote 4

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Should G1 be canon locked? Abso-positivio-lutely! Want it to continue? Write up a fan-fiction.

 

There we go, done 'n done. Time for Taco Bell. Toodle-dudes.

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon
  • Upvote 2

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An argument I've seen a lot of is "Canonizing new things messes with my already written/future fanfiction".

 

There's even a mechanism within the story for these to still be considered canon, if the writer so wishes: Alternate universes, something which we all know have played a major role in the story since the introduction of the Zivon (I think that was when it was introduced).

I must mildly disagree here. Constructing an alternate universe takes a whole lot of work, which kinda ruins the point of fanfiction - using an already constructed fictional universe to make the settings, characters, etc, easier to construct, in addition to the time-honored trick of piggybacking off the original work's popularity to reach a wider audience. Having to build an alternate universe takes away from that.

 

In addition, a lot of my fanfiction isn't written in an alternate universe, so it's not "insured" against canon-flipping. To use a recent example, I wrote a male Toa of Plasma, and now everyone is trying to canonize them as female. While I understand why they want to do this, it's annoying because it takes away from my own story's plausibility - it's no longer plausible in canon, and it requires a larger and unnecessary explanation to make it fit when it just would be better off alone.

 

But that's just my opinion on the subject. I like to think of my fanfiction as well-researched and plausible instead of slapped-together, and therefore I find this annoying.  

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...