A small question

Mate.397

Okay, since I tried to look for any sort of answer and found nothing so far, I'm gonna ask here now. Lately my posted topics are somehow remaining at 0 - 0 even though this one http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/18634-chrova-the-protector-of-time/ got near instant responses the previous few like this http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/18623-protodermis-entity-2015-redux/ had no attention given to for near a week. Now I'm no expert but I'm pretty sure it's near IMPOSSIBLE for a posted thread to have 0 views and 0 comments for almost a week, while the rest around it gets more and more views and attention. Funny thing is this has been an issue since like last month so I must ask, what is going on with this site?

This topic might be better of in either the Q&A forum or, more likely, the tracker.

As far as zero posts being made in one topic versus the other, that is a simple answer - in the forum listing, it will not count the first post as a reply, but instead as the topic itself; thus, each topic will have one less reply than the actual number of posts. If nobody makes a post in the topic after you post it, then your topic will remain at zero replies. That is the case in your protodermis entity topic.

The zero views issue, on the other hand, I do not have a simple answer for. Your protodermis entity topic is the only topic in the Bionicle-Based Creations forum to have this issue; I would recommend creating a tracker ticket for the issue so that the staff can figure out what might be going on.

Zero comments simply means people haven't posted. That's not indicative of a problem with the forums.

The view count, however, should have increased by now because the topic has to have had at least a single view (say, from staff who would have looked it over to make sure it's not violating rules). The view count of a topic refreshes at least once a day, I believe, so it seems somehow that isn't happening.

I'm also pretty sure that a post to a topic also refreshes the view count, so the lack of posts might be related to the locked view count.

There also was an issue with no entry views showing up for blogs a few months back. Maybe this is related?

~B~

• Upvote 3

I've had issues with view count, sometimes the view count will freeze until someone replies (the topic in my sig gained 0 views for like a week, then someone replied and it increased by like a thousand).

As for the replies, it's entirely possible to simply not get any comments on a thread. I am able to view the topic you linked just fine, so it's not bugged or anything. In my experience it's pretty common in BBC to not get any posts.

IetTsFQ.png

What does it say for you about this topic? it says 53 views for me.

Every topic should display the same number of views for everyone, since it's within BZPower's server and not dependent on your computer.

---

I think that Ballom might have a point - this could be related to the 0 views incident with the blogs several months back. The only problem with that is that the staff never actually figured out what was going on; the problem just... disappeared, and things went back to normal on their own after about a month.

• Upvote 1

So maybe there is something in the coding that refreshes views only when there is a reply post? I seen a topic that had 0 views and posts yet had an up-vote. Also wouldn't you viewing your own topic after it was posted technically count as a view? Seems like there must be an error in an underlining code. I've even read topics only to see that my view wasn't registered.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

So maybe there is something in the coding that refreshes views only when there is a reply post? I seen a topic that had 0 views and posts yet had an up-vote. Also wouldn't you viewing your own topic after it was posted technically count as a view? Seems like there must be an error in an underlining code. I've even read topics only to see that my view wasn't registered.

This isn't something exclusive to BZP. If you look on YouTube, it takes a day for the servers to process the amount of views on a video. That's why you will see 301+ views on videos with more than 301 likes. It's not a coding issue, just the servers processing information that it took in that day. If you think about it, with the amount of topics, posts and other information going in and out of the BZPower servers every day, there's a lot to handle. So, as Ballom already mentioned, the view count refreshes daily. :)

-Rez

EDIT: Of course, there may be a few glitches and server burps every once in a while, like Nascent mentioned about the view count freezing. If you continually experience issues with the view count (meaning the view count doesn't refresh after days have gone by), you may want to post an issue in the Tracker. :)

Edited by Reznas

I had difficulty garnering attention when I started MOCing as well. I used that (and in many ways still do use it) to motivate myself to improve my skills outside of my comfort zones.

Just my advice.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I had difficulty garnering attention when I started MOCing as well. I used that (and in many ways still do use it) to motivate myself to improve my skills outside of my comfort zones.

Just my advice.

You have seen the "average" building level I have, I assume. I don't consider myself a newbie since I have been evolving my MOC building since 2007 and I did improve greatly since then, don't get me wrong there are those who can build better no doubt about it. But when a "5 minute" build gets more attention than something one tinkers with for a few days, just feels almost insulting, if you get what I mean.

Thing is, these things really can't be controlled. :\ Best you can do is keep working hard and posting your creations and hope for the best. :) But you can't expect comments, even if your creation is really good. It really comes down to who's looking at your topics and whether they are willing to comment.

-Rez 

And how famous you are. If you've only been around for a few days and haven't been posting as much, you're not going to get as many views as the ANCIENT FAMOUS STAFF MEMBER who posted a five-minute MoC. :(

If you want your topic to get attention, sig advertisements, especially banners, work wonders. 

And how famous you are. If you've only been around for a few days and haven't been posting as much, you're not going to get as many views as the ANCIENT FAMOUS STAFF MEMBER who posted a five-minute MoC. :(

If you want your topic to get attention, sig advertisements, especially banners, work wonders. 

Funny you say that, as I was here for years until some strange glitch made me create a new account

Thing is, these things really can't be controlled. :\ Best you can do is keep working hard and posting your creations and hope for the best. :) But you can't expect comments, even if your creation is really good. It really comes down to who's looking at your topics and whether they are willing to comment.

-Rez 

Yeah this is a good point. I myself can get a far share of replies while in a topic but if you take a look at the topics I have started... You will see I only have one topic with over 20 posts and that is only due to it being in Games and Trivia section. My MOCs if you want to call them that since they are videos don't even seem to get 10 posts. Half of the ones they do have are likely mine replying to the one or two people who actually reply. So while I may not have the 0/0 issue you seem to be having I do know how you feel Mate.397 when another MOCer gets plenty of more views and replies.

"A stranger will always be a stranger unless you give them a chance."

:m_p: :r: :m_o: :w: :l:    :n: :i: :g: :h: :t: :w: :m_o: :l: :f:

|premierball.png| <- My Pokémon | BZPRPG Characters: Po-Matoran Doseki & Nui-Jaga Scorpio; Ga-Matoran Orca 
Matoran und Panzer: Doseki & Glitch | Marvel RP PC | Mata Nui Monopoly: Come... Own a piece of the legend!

Onua.png

I checked your topic's stats in the BBC forum listing, and the view count has been updated. Since things still may be buggy with new topics that don't get replies, I'll direct you to this Tracker ticket. I'll get the proper people on it to see if something's up.

I'll close this up then, since the main problem is something more suited to the ticket linked to above.

• Upvote 2