Papu and Rangi

emily

Pretty shortly after Christian Faber posted this video documenting concepts for the original Voodoo Heads that eventually became BIONICLE, someone threw up a topic on Eurobricks offering brick-built versions of the iconic heads. GK733 took the idea and ran with it, using a modified version of one of the heads in this awesome MoC that he dubbed a Great Being. That really fueled my imagination, and now I've built up something of my own based on his design.

dsc02821.jpg

As you can see, the core of the designs are taken straight from GK733's MoC. What I did was switch things up to bring in more of the Voodoo Head aesthetic. The heads are also completely custom - I feel like the Islanders theme had a strong influence on BIONICLE's earliest conceptual art direction, and made Papu and Rangi to be siblings to Kahuka in design.

Together

Rangi

Side

Back

Head

Papu

Side

Back

Head

For those who don't know, Papu and Rangi are easily the most mysterious of BIONICLE characters. Their names are derived from the Mother and Father gods of Maori, Ranginui and Papatuanuku, which is more than likely why they only appear in passing conversation in the Mata Nui online game - once the Maori lawsuit hit LEGO realized they needed to cover up the evidence they were actually using Maori gods in their story fast and had the only places they had appeared thus far, those vague mentions in Mata Nui, struck from the record.

I personally believe that they were conceived as the original Great Beings of the BIONICLE mythos, to later be replaced by what we got. Either way, they were definitely god-tier - Nokama speaks of how they plan the fates and Jala says that they named Ta-Koro as the village of fire.

Papu is the blue one - I envisioned her as the warrior of the two and gave her a more dynamic pose to convey that. Rangi is the balancing avatar of knowledge, taking a more hunched and wizened stance. Their attributes are reflected in the Toa Kaita - Akamai of Valor, and Wairuha of Wisdom.

Sorry the photos are only okay, I don't have much to work with.

Oh! And while we're here, here's another thing I made.

• Upvote 7

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

These look really good, especially Rangi. I like how you used mainly bricks or classic Technic pieces to keep the early Bionicle feel. Also, I'm stealing this headcanon of what the Great Beings look like :P .

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username.