Science Topic

Taka Nuvia

I missed this so much... a topic to discuss science in all of its forms. May it be Physics, biology or chemistry. ^^I'll just start this here by asking a simple question: now what exactly is gravity? I man, at first I was told that every mass has gravity, okay. But then I learned that masses 'bend' space, and this causes the effect we call 'gravity'.And now, I am confused. :huh: Does anyone have an explanation for this? (Probably the solution is very simple, and I just can't see it... and maybe the question should be 'What is matter", but that's an entirely different story...)

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

Well, I don't know much, but the simplest explination:Imiagine the universe is a trampoline, and everything is resting on the surface. The heavier things make a larger indent in the trampoline, and that means that if anything aproaches, it will fall, or bend into the indent, which is gravity.That's the easiest way to explain gravity.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

...I have no clue.I think that it has something to do with the lack of light in space, so thre is little to no light to reflect.Plus, if there's light or heat on a ship, which there would be unless it was a drone, then any heat sensor or light sensor would pick it up.That's what I think.

1Ydp0mg.jpg

I missed this so much... a topic to discuss science in all of its forms. May it be Physics, biology or chemistry. ^^I'll just start this here by asking a simple question: now what exactly is gravity? I man, at first I was told that every mass has gravity, okay. But then I learned that masses 'bend' space, and this causes the effect we call 'gravity'.And now, I am confused. :huh: Does anyone have an explanation for this? (Probably the solution is very simple, and I just can't see it... and maybe the question should be 'What is matter", but that's an entirely different story...)

One of the current theories for gravity, is that it is an exchange of molecular particles. The more mass, the more particles being shared, and thus a stronger attraction. However we have yet to actually find one of those particles, so we can't know for sure.As an interesting side note, some scientists think that this particle exchange is actually a much weaker version of the Strong Nuclear Force. Which, if true, would bring the total number of natural forces down to three.
jlovfkk.jpg

One of the current theories for gravity, is that it is an exchange of molecular particles. The more mass, the more particles being shared, and thus a stronger attraction. However we have yet to actually find one of those particles, so we can't know for sure.As an interesting side note, some scientists think that this particle exchange is actually a much weaker version of the Strong Nuclear Force. Which, if true, would bring the total number of natural forces down to three.
Two. The electromagnetic force and the weak force are known to be one and the same, the electroweak force.It is also predicted that the strong force and the electroweak force will unify at an incredibly high energy level, and so if what you say is true then the total forces in the universe is one.

-[bZRPG Profiles]-

- [Vejmeq] - [isiak] - [Qathek] -

I've been confused about gravity since I found Einstein's theory on it and the graviton theory.I did A-Level Physics last year, and it was quite cool. Particle physics is quite fascinating, we went to Imperial College University for a lecture on it. I'm looking forward to LHC finishing the tests and proving/disproving Higgs Boson.

Edited by -Malchior-

___

8Sxue4J.jpg

___

___

Ahh, science. I didn't particularly excel in this subject, but I always find it interesting.One of the recent things I've looked up is super conductivity. Man, is it cool! Then there's cornstarch and water matched with just the right frequency of sound... Gotta love non-Newtonian liquids. ^^ Anyway, I haven't really studied gravity or physics before. Biology was an interesting class, though. ^^

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Two. The electromagnetic force and the weak force are known to be one and the same, the electroweak force.It is also predicted that the strong force and the electroweak force will unify at an incredibly high energy level, and so if what you say is true then the total forces in the universe is one.
I believe the electroweak force has yet to be proven, unless I missed that rather large discovery.
jlovfkk.jpg

Hmm...Didn't know that.Expect an 8th grader with a 3.86 GPA not to know things like that.An another note, Life Science (Biology?) is my favorite category of science.Physics is kind of fun, but it's not something I would normally expect to get an A in.Chemistry? The only thing connecting me and Chemistry is a poster of the Periodic Table up in my room. But I at least know how to use it.

I

___warned

__________you

______________about

____________________the

_______________________stairs

____________________________bro

99041.png

Ah yes, we must discuss physics and chemistry and whatnot here. For science. You monster :PAnyways, did anyone else here about another earth-like planet being discovered (though I hear that happens a lot,) or how in a test that took place in Germany IIRC, where some particles moved faster than light. Now to wait until we can move faster than light.

rarity-with-wings.jpgrarity-heart.png <<Newest Chibi: Nuparu Inika

Hm.Tachyons?I knew about the Earth-like planet... it was supposed to be almost exactly like Earth, only twice as big.It possibly could have life.But we cannot move faster then light.The closer to the speed of light you get, the smaller and hotter you get.Which is why lightspeed travel is impossible, unless we utilize wormholes.Space is my thing (SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!)

1Ydp0mg.jpg

...I have no clue.I think that it has something to do with the lack of light in space, so thre is little to no light to reflect.Plus, if there's light or heat on a ship, which there would be unless it was a drone, then any heat sensor or light sensor would pick it up.That's what I think.

Lack of light in space? Where did you get that one from? Space is full of electromagnetic waves, and a goodly amount of that is visible light. If anything, there's more of a lack of light down here on earth.In the vacuum of space, there is nothing to get in the way of light (e.g. air) like we have in our little atmosphere. Thus light is actually more abundant in space.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Re: the FTL neutrino problem: Technically they're not tachyons, because as far as we can tell, they started out STL and then accelerated to FTL for a quick moment before they reached the Italian lab (I think it was Italian).And re: not being able to go FTL: That's the commonly accepted theory and we've seen nothing so far to contradict it...except this particular FTL neutrino effect. They're still working on fiding out why it can accelerate past the speed of light, but as far as we can tell all the sensors and equipment worked like it should have and it should have done like they expected...but it didn't. No one knows why yet.Re: light in space. This is accurate, and is half of why stealth in space is a problem, the other half being thermal emissions. IIRC, space has a 3 Kelvin background, so you'd need incredible capacity in your heat sinks and the best refrigeration available to get that low.:w:

Science really confuses me. For instance, magnets; how do they work?

ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7

ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7ExoM7

pc_rancorous.gif GO READ RETIREMENT BY KABOOKIE, ZONIS, KORTU, ME, DREIKEN, EMKAY, CABOOSE AND BOSTWIK. CLICK HERE. pc_rancorous.gif

On the subject of the faster-than-light experiment, (neutrinos are the particle name), it was actually proven false. Something about the speed of the satellite used to track the neutrino put the difference over their margin of error. In other news, during my Physics class today, we were going over harmonic motion. Since I already knew all the material covered, I instead derived an equation for stereo vision. :PdL/(x+1) = L'Where d is the distance between your eyes, L is the distance from your eyes to the objects, and x is the distance between the two objects you are crossing, and L' is the apparent distance from your eyes to the virtual object. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png

jlovfkk.jpg

Simplified explanation:An atom is made up of electrons, protons and neutrons. Electrons have a negative charge and can move freely; protons have a positive charge and stay in the nucleus; neutrons have no charge and stay in the nucleus.Like charges repel, opposite charges attract.In a magnet, electrons have been shifted to one end (negative charge), leaving more protons at the other (positive charge).

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Simplified explanation:An atom is made up of electrons, protons and neutrons. Electrons have a negative charge and can move freely; protons have a positive charge and stay in the nucleus; neutrons have no charge and stay in the nucleus.Like charges repel, opposite charges attract.In a magnet, electrons have been shifted to one end (negative charge), leaving more protons at the other (positive charge).
If that's the case, then why is gold, an excellent conducter, also non-magnetic?
jlovfkk.jpg

If that's the case, then why is gold, an excellent conducter, also non-magnetic?
You do know that the electromagnetic force is the unification of the electric force and the magnetic force, right? Just because something easily allows electrons to flow through it does not mean that it itself is magnetic.

-[bZRPG Profiles]-

- [Vejmeq] - [isiak] - [Qathek] -

You do know that the electromagnetic force is the unification of the electric force and the magnetic force, right? Just because something easily allows electrons to flow through it does not mean that it itself is magnetic.
By your definition, magnets are caused by electrons moving to one side of the object. So a magnet brought near any conductor should either attract or repel the electrons in that conductor. I believe the answer is that the electromagnetic fields of the individual particles align with each other to form a continuos magnetic field. If my memory serves me right.
jlovfkk.jpg

On the subject of the faster-than-light experiment, (neutrinos are the particle name), it was actually proven false. Something about the speed of the satellite used to track the neutrino put the difference over their margin of error.

I saw that article. It was a hypothesis as to why the data said what it did--not proven, IIRC.:w:

On the subject of the faster-than-light experiment, (neutrinos are the particle name), it was actually proven false. Something about the speed of the satellite used to track the neutrino put the difference over their margin of error.

I saw that article. It was a hypothesis as to why the data said what it did--not proven, IIRC. :w:
I believe someone has now repeated their experiment and produced the same results - faster than light.

By your definition, magnets are caused by electrons moving to one side of the object. So a magnet brought near any conductor should either attract or repel the electrons in that conductor.I believe the answer is that the electromagnetic fields of the individual particles align with each other to form a continuos magnetic field. If my memory serves me right.
My mistake, I was describing static electricity XDEasy to do, when it's late at night.I don't know why it's only iron, cobalt and nickel that can be made into magnets, though...

Hmm... Is it really true that scientists used to ignore the property of magnestism? I recently watched The Haunting and this was brought up in the film. Apparently because scientists had no way to explain or prove what causes magnets to work, they refused to believe such a thing existed. Though, this was from a movie, so I'm not sure if it's true. =/

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Hey, science nerds! If you're so smart, then has anyone really been far even as decided to go use want to do look more like?

That's a linguistics question. Wrong topic.
This is the second time someone in this topic has made an Internet reference, and this is also the second time no one gets it.
No, we get it. We just chose to ignore the obvious spam. On topic:Out of curiosity, what is everyone's favorite branch of science?Mine's Physics, especially quantum optics. :D
jlovfkk.jpg

Hey, science nerds! If you're so smart, then has anyone really been far even as decided to go use want to do look more like?

This is the second time someone in this topic has made an Internet reference, and this is also the second time no one gets it.
No, we get it. We just chose to ignore the obvious spam.
I don't believe you. I don't think you guys have a sense of humor. :P

tumblr_n3nqpzvUrQ1qlzuomo1_500.gif

Internet reference

That doesnt even mean anything, stop it

pc_rancorous.gif GO READ RETIREMENT BY KABOOKIE, ZONIS, KORTU, ME, DREIKEN, EMKAY, CABOOSE AND BOSTWIK. CLICK HERE. pc_rancorous.gif

No, we get it. We just chose to ignore the obvious spam.
I don't believe you. I don't think you guys have a sense of humor. :P
No, you're the one with no sense of humour for not getting the linguistics joke. :rolleyes:Back on topic, did anyone else hear about how they developed the new world's lightest solid material? Edited by Lhikevikk Returns!
bug_animated.gif