Year 60,000 Discussion

Makuta Miras

It could be interesting if the Kaiju had something else on the side, though, just to expand upon what we've already seen from the source material. And it wouldn't have to be a 100% resurrection, either; it could be played off like the memory snippets the Starkiller Clones had from The Force Unleashed II while giving the player access to a similar, yet still somewhat biologically different, Kaiju, just to differentiate from their previous counterpart.

But it's just a thought. Whether it gets used or not, I don't expect it to have that much impact on the game at large.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

While the Kaiju have a hivemind of sorts, they don't share memories.

I may be wrong about this, but the movie seemed to imply that they do share memories, at least to some extent. It's how the different later waves of kaiju knew how to bring down the jaegers - by learning from the mistakes of those that came before. 

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

That's the impression I was getting as well, Nato.

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Bonus points to anyone who can guess which theoretical rahkshi kaita Groundpound was based on (and who would be in it)

[1/07/2015 10:34:14 PM] Dane: Groundpound is essentially what the Fang-Omega-Kat Kaita would have looked like
[1/07/2015 10:34:26 PM] Dane: in my eyes

I don't need to guess. 

The RP isn't an exact copy of the movie though.

Obviously not. Yet the creatures in this game all apparently have a shared hive mind, just like those in the movie. As the GMs haven't elaborated on the nature of this hive mind, we players are given little choice but to make our own speculations. 

Edited by Of Australian Origin...

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Where did all of the PC jaegers go? I've only killed three of them, and the Alpha only trashed two. 

What happened to the rest? 

-The Dependable Man-

Name: Malinus Vod

Species: Ta-Matoran

Powers/Gear: As a Ta-Matoran, Malinus is more resistant to heat and flame than most of his species. In terms of equipment, he generally uses a simple wooden walking stick and a fireworks revolver which has been modified to be smaller, more lightweight, and more easily concealable. To compensate, however, it loses some of its power and range.

Personality: On the surface, Malinus is everything that a spokesperson should be: smooth, slick, jovial, and as charismatic as he can possibly be. Always one to lend a hand with a 100-watt smile, even his sharp humour can’t mar his affability. But underneath this, Malinus is actually an angry man, hungry for power and bitter at how he has been manipulated and used by the company which bears his name. Too often he views the people around him as tools for his own advancement; his generosity is measured to garner debts from others, and his altruism is designed to bring him recognition.

Bio: For years, the Vod family has been seen sitting upon the throne of the Vod Consortium: one of the more powerful shipping companies in the universe. The son of Saphirai Vod, the former so-called “Dagger King” -- as the dagger is the traditional symbol of the Vod line and the logo of its company -- Malinus spent his childhood preparing for the day when he would take over the company. But when he finally ascended to the throne, the young man learned that his role was simply for show; the true machinations of the Consortium was controlled by a legion of advisors and executives and underlings who viewed the Dagger King as nothing more than a puppet. Eventually, when the Kaiju appeared and began ravaging the universe, the Consortium believed that it would be best for the population to see the company as helping the resistance; thus, Malinus was chosen to join the army of Jaeger pilots as the Consortium’s representative, valiantly -- and publically -- fighting for the good of all.

Appearance: Of average height and build for a Matoran, Malinus stands tall and proud, but not too tall or too proud for people to think of him as arrogant. His skin is dark red, covered by armour which is predominantly black, with only his hands, feet, chest and mask being bright red. His right leg is twisted slightly from the knee down, causing him to limp. His face is handsome, with strong features and bright yellow eyes framed by a powerless great-style Kanohi Hau.

Jaeger: The Dagger King

Jaeger Nickname: The Dagger King

MK: Mark II, Level I

Kanohi: Hau

Weaponry: Each of the King’s fists come with a retractable dagger coming from their knuckles; these can be charged with electricity for extra kick when used against enemies. The King also comes with a Jaeger-sized claymore strapped to its back; its edges can be superheated for extra cutting power.

Pilot: Malinus Vod

Appearance: Tall and powerful, were the King a regular man, its body would be clearly one of a great warrior-hero of legend. Although its paint has been worn away with time and exertion, it is clear that its body was painted crimson and gold, with a stylized dagger appearing on the Jaeger’s back, pointed downwards. On the King’s left arm is written, “The sword makes the enemy.”

-Void

retweet.

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

So, this game's been running for a little while now, and I've got to ask: will there be more to the plot than just us continuously killing off each other's PC's? I only ask because I'm getting the impression that some people are starting to resent me for repeatedly killing their characters (which I definitely don't blame them for), and I have a feeling people are going to very quickly grow tired of constantly having to make new PC's. 

• Upvote 1

Considering that most of the approved PCs seem to be Kaiju at the moment, and that the Kaiju plot so far has been focused on attacking the last remaining bastions of civilisation, I'm not really seeing any room to advance the story right now, to be perfectly honest. Maybe if the Kaiju players were given something to do in an attempt to distract the majority of them from all going on rampages at once, then the other characters might eventually get something thrown their way as well sometime in the future. I mean, I'm actually starting to get bored with my character Smackdown, soley because of the fact that he's been carving a path of destuction into Zakaz for a while now, and absolutely nobody has shown up to fight him yet. This is leading me to believe that there's some hidden quota of civilians I have to downright massacre before I can even get a Jaeger Player/NPC sent out to my location. :P

And don't even get me started on Blockbuster, who, for the most part, is extremely non-aggressive...

Don't get me wrong or anything; this RPG does have an interesting concept, and I would very much like to see it succeed, but since it came out right after Panzer and Bionifight (both, of which, already have mechs), the dynamic between the Jaegers and the Kaiju is a little unbalanced at this point in time, and it's kind of a problem that needs to be resolved soon.

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

The difference being that the combat in this game is far more kill-or-be-killed than in Bionifight or MuP. Kind of makes me feel like that schoolyard bully who just beats on everyone, the way I've been massacring PCs. 

• Upvote 1

I actually wish I could trade places with you right now, Nato, because at the time of this post, I've yet to see a response concerning Phantom's attack on one of Chumpu's NPC Jaegers, meaning that I still haven't scrapped with anyone since the game started.

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

I don't mean to re-write the script, but-

A possibility would be to have an unknown massive Kaiju appear, requiring the combined forces of the Kaiju to defeat.

That would decrease the number of Kaiju and give people a chance to make more Jaegers.

I actually wish I could trade places with you right now, Nato

No you don't. Seriously, you don't. My life is terrible. 

I don't mean to re-write the script, but-

A possibility would be to have an unknown massive Kaiju appear, requiring the combined forces of the Kaiju to defeat.

That would decrease the number of Kaiju and give people a chance to make more Jaegers.

I don't think people want to make anymore Jaegers after the BZPRPG copied the EXO-matoran from Matoran Und Panzer, which Bionifght later copied & now, we have this game introducing more kinds of mechs and gave us the opportunity to play as monsters, which we will not let go to waste.

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I don't think people want to make anymore Jaegers after the BZPRPG copied the EXO-matoran from Matoran Und Panzer, which Bionifght later copied & now, we have this game introducing more kinds of mechs and gave us the opportunity to play as monsters, which we will not let go to waste.

Actually, the Exo-Matoran were in development behind-the-scenes for the BZPRPG long before the inception of Matoran Und Panzer. It's just that they weren't introduced into the game until a few months ago.  :)

-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

Bionifight didn't copy MuP either. People had been nagging for power armour, exo-suits and mechs to be allowed since Bionifight started, and the staff finally relented. Giant robots with people inside them are hardly an original concept... 

It's not a mecha game, it's not a giant monster game and it certainly isn't ancient aliens.

Yet I think pretty much all of these feature in MuP to some extent.

It's tanks.

And there's surprisingly little of this. 

The same way no one here seems to have made drifting jaeger pilots. 

I will happily make a copilot character if someone needs a copilot

Kopaka, the coolest(Pun intended) Ko-Toa ever:

Comic_Blizzard_Blade_In_Use.png      

"If the fight had turned, Exann might be the one on the floor with Antidermis spurting out of him. This is how battle is. This is how life is." -Mar'jik, Corpus Rahkshi                                       

@Nato: I meant in-game. And stop spoiling Panzer. :P

@Chumpu: Page 8, Post 283.

@Tiragath: While Tanks is practically the name of the game, there does seem to be more Exo-Suits running around.

@Current Discussion: Sizes according to my understanding:

Panzer: Exo-Suits = smaller than Tanks.

Bionifight: Metal Gear/Gundam height.

Y60K: Megazord height.

Had an additional three paragraphs involving references to Modern Civics, comparisons to the WWII setting of first-person shooters in the PS2 era, and additional ideas to help boost the game's number of Jaegers, but the site signed me out and the original post was lost. Will expand upon this later if anyone would like me to type it up again.

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

Panzer: Exo-Suits = smaller than Tanks.

Bionifight: Metal Gear/Gundam height.

The exo-suits in MuP are skakdi-sized, approximately. 

In Bionifight, the size limit is 2.5 times that of the pilot. 

Close enough.

So, yeah, here's the basic points I was trying to get across in those three paragraphs:

WWII Shooters - People eventually got bored with them due to similar setting, lack of variety, and the fact that almost every single one of them had a Normandy sequence, thus leading to their extreme decline as a sub-genre. The parallels I was attempting to draw here was that, regardless of size, all three games involve robotic suits being used to kill things, a war/battle of some sort, and (with the exception of Bionifight in this instance) similar humanoid mech builds. Had one of them decided to do something similar to IGPX instead of jumping on the war machine bandwagon, or even had some sort of Kohli Match played by teams of piloted, mechanical dinosaurs, this wouldn't have been much of an issue.

Supply and Demand vs. Monopolisation and Timing - Not counting the BZPRPG (since they're not as widespread) and Corpus Rahkshi (nobody would really take them seriously anymore if 90% of their "bodies" were to suddenly disappear overnight), there are currently three seperate games in this forum with relatively easy access to mechs in some way, shape, or form. Because of the differing height categories and opponents available amongst them, players with time constraints are more likely to jump into the game that most suits they're personal preferences, which wouldn't be much of an issue if more people suddenly decided to trickle in here to play RPGs. As it stands right now, however, more people seem to favor the more reasonably-sized machines instead of the towering monstrosities, and it shows in the current number of Jaeger Profiles. Ironically, had Y60K's "release" been postponed until Panzer or Bionifight were no longer in the picture, the number of active Jeagers would've likely been a lot more soley due to the fact that they would hypothetically be the only active game in here to really feature any mechs, allowing them to effectively monopolise the genre since the supply and demand of mech-related games would effectively swap places.

Ideas to Boost Jaeger Numbers:

1. Give us more plot details that take us away from the seemingly mindless violence that we've been experiencing so far, especially for the Kaiju since they currently outnumber them.

2. Introduce some in-game ramifications that actually make us want to fight the Kaiju. If the characters are on the brink of anhilation, then give us the feeling that the islands could be wiped off of the map at any given moment.

3. Expand upon the backstories of the Jaeger pilots. In the original movie, all of the pilots were generally considered to be the "good guys" - military background, relatively clean-cut, somewhat honorable, and the last line of defense between humanity and the creatures trying to kill them. So far, the game has been pretty consistent in this regard.

Now I want to see the "bad guys."

Whether it's due to someone in the Stelt government offering inmates the keys to their cells in exchange for fighting some Kaiju, or if Xia decides to give away sweet, sweet loot to the pilot who has the most kills under their belt in any given week, there needs to be room for the more selfishly-motivated characters as well. Kaiju are more akin to a destructive force of nature; relying soley on them to fill the roles of the villains isn't exactly doing anybody any favors.

Surprisingly enough, this actually turned out to be longer than those original three paragraphs.

Edited by Timageness
  • Upvote 1

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

Bad guys, you say? :P

We already have the bad guys.

Like, two PCs though.

Two Artahka PCs.

Two.

Anyway, I think- and this is only tentative, since I haven't discussed with Scorp yet- what we could do to increase the number of Jaeger profiles would be to possibly cut out the limitations on Jaegers having to be humanoid. We'd still need some discussion among us two to work it out, but I think being allowed to have a skyscraper-sized mech in just about any form you want would increase profile quantities. 

Thoughts?

@Plot details- expect them within a week. I've got an extra two days off school this weekend (Admittedly I'll be getting next to no posting done on the Saturday, but whatever) so the Kaiju should be pulling out in the next few days, then we'll actually start the plot, since the game's opening has been way, way slower than I hoped/wanted.

@Purpose for Kaiju fighting- see above.

Also, breaking news since I can't double post:

The Kaiju attack is now over.

I'm not bunnying any PCs out of Xia, but if you could please start wrapping up your fights that'd be nice. :)

Edited by Miras the Omniscient

VBWj75sh.png

By "bad guys," I actually meant somewhere along the lines of convicted murderers, a group of pirates that somehow got their hands on a few Jaegers, or generally other nasty individuals you really wouldn't want to run into in a dark alley, but it's nice to know that Artahka is going somewhere in that direction as well.

The addition of non-humanoid Jeagers sounds awesome, and could provide much more freedom when determining the mech's specifications, design, and weaponry. This I like.

Another suggestion I would like to make would be a sort of tribal system for the Kaiju, just to make sure that the Jeagers continue to get a little extra breathing room. Yes, it's been stated that the vast majority of them follow Sharky, but what hasn't been revealed yet is how the Kaiju decide who becomes the next Alpha, besides eventually reaching Category 5. Having different factions of Kaiju vying for things like the best hunting grounds, nesting areas within the Hive, or even the favor of the current Alpha, could provide for an interesting distraction while Jaegers get repaired and civilisation rebuilds itself, and would lead to some brutally epic violence while simultaneously explaining why there's so much Kaiju Blue within the waters surrounding their home.

As for plot details, this falls under reasonable parameters. Sometimes I forget that not everybody has the same amount of time in here as I do because of stuff IRL, and it's a habit I've been trying really hard to kick since my first day in the RPG Forum (I make no claims about myself being a perfect individual). I apologise if parts of my posts come off as sounding impatient because of this.

Edited by Timageness
  • Upvote 1

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

I've already got a loner kaiju; I'm kind of surprised others haven't done the same.

As for non-humanoid jaegers, I'm honestly not sure that's the best idea. Having unusual body shapes is what makes the kaiju unique - they can have extra limbs, or wings, or whatever - if people did the same with jaegers that'd detract from what makes the kaiju unique in the first place. 

I thought the whole reason that kaiju were allowed to have weird anatomy was to balance the scales a little, since at the start they have no ranged weaponry, unlike the jaegers. If jaegers get guns and are allowed to have whatever physical makeup they want, it's going to put all of the kaiju PCs at a massive disadvantage. 

EDIT: Just read the outcome of the Xia attack, and I'm a little confused. According to the intro post, the population of Xia is deep inland, at the base of the Mountain. And during this entire fight, no kaiju - PC or NPC - made it that far inland. The Alpha itself only got as far as the empty warehouses on the outskirts of the city. 

I can't help but be a little annoyed that after all of the effort the PC jaegers have put into defending the city you've just gone and said "nah, the kaiju actually wrecked the place". 

• Upvote 1

Well, the Kaiju would have the organic advantage over the Jaegers in some respects, and since the Jaegers are running off of a power source and a limited control interface, you wouldn't realistically be able to add on as many extra pieces without accounting for the additional weight somehow or adding more pilots into the mix anyway. If there were reasonable limits put into place and they were properly maintained by the GMs, then the idea theoretically could still remain viable.

I went back and read the post again as well, and while most of it does seem to actually coincide with the damage done, some of the wording, particularly the sentence describing the streets, does come off as a bit misleading. A quick edit would probably fix it, though. 

Edited by Timageness
  • Upvote 1

Epics: 

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

GM Résumé:

Well no, the post basically says that the city is badly damaged, and that a huge chunk of the population is missing/dead - which makes no sense because none of the PC or NPC kaiju reached the populated parts of the city, at least not IC.

I've said before that I'm kind of pro-kaiju here, but it completely devalues all of the effort that we players put into fighting off the PC and NPC kaiju to go and say that the entirety of Xia actually got destroyed off-screen. 

• Upvote 1