Rock Raiders

BenLuke

I recall it. The game was fun, but really hard for a kid as young as I was. :w:

Not only was it a hard game, it was harder than it should've been thanks to numerous glitches. Those kept me from enjoying the game as much as I enjoyed other LEGO software.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Rock Raiders is one of my favorite themes. Along with Lego Racers, I used to play the Playstation version of the game all the time, although to be honest I don't think I got further than the fifth level for a very long time. :PAside from the game, I initially only had the Hover Scout. At some point (2004? But could I really have been buying things online when I was seven?) I bought 3347 and 3348 on Ebay. Soon after, however, I gave them to a friend. And of course, now they sell for around twenty dollars online. :/I really should try to get a hold of the DK books about the theme sometime soon, the theme had a unique and interesting story and hearing about the books mainly from the summaries of other people isn't as cool as being able to read them myself. :P

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

My brother was more into Rock Raiders than I was... Though the game was quite awesome. I loved playing as the miners themselves and just doing stuff... I should see if I can dig up that game somewhere, it was fun! ^^Oh, gosh, I remember taking the rock monster and have him have a crush on my female minifig, like a Donkey Kong and Pauline type of story (when I was a kid of course... I totally do not do similar things with my lego sets in this day and age). XD Good times, good times...

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

I'm with Lair here, give me the Rock Raiders monsters over the Power Miners Rock Toilets Monsters any day. The Rock Raiders ones actually looked like a threat, the Power Miners ones just glow rainbow colors and burp with their googly eyes. :mellow:

I don't know; I felt the Power Miners monsters were better. For one thing, they weren't just one color all over, having crystal veins which made them more unique. Secondly, they weren't all the same. You had three scales: the tiny monsters which were more pests than threats, the mid-size monsters which were more posable than the fairly-static Rock Raiders Rock Monsters, and of course the Crystal King. And thirdly, they were a lot easier to modify, with the smaller monsters able to use minifig tools and the larger monsters having studs on top (I made a MOC using the mid-sized monsters where the Miners had created a "saddle" for them and were luring them with crystals so as to get the monsters to do the heavy-lifting). Not to mention the mostly brick-built Crystal King, who is easy to rebuild to make him larger and more threatening.The Rock Raiders monsters had next to no posability, soulless eyes, and were uniformly a poo-brown. I'd take the Power Miners monsters any day.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I believe I had one or two small sets from it, but way more prominent in my memories is the PC game. Oh, I loved that game, even if I could never beat it.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Sets+Power Miner Goblins=the themeThe rock monsters were really bad.

You've got to be kidding me.[/Zelda]Those giant *real* monsters look "really bad" next to little farting toilet monsters?

I'm with Lair here, give me the Rock Raiders monsters over the Power Miners Rock Toilets Monsters any day. The Rock Raiders ones actually looked like a threat, the Power Miners ones just glow rainbow colors and burp with their googly eyes. :mellow:

Well, well, well. If it isn't Lair of Rockwhales. I didn't know you had a BZP account! (I knew jamesster had an account.) I knew that some members on RRU would be here on a topic like this. :PAnyways, I thought that Rock Raiders was a really great theme. Other than it ending after a couple years, without a clear ending (no big surprise here... It's like LEGO's trademark.), and the game tends to crash without notice (Or just simply NOT WORK in my case), it was great.Power Miners never came close to Rock Raiders.

I personally preferred Power Miners a great deal. But both themes were enjoyable, and I don't think it has to be seen as one being better than the other as much as the themes being better at different things. As I see it, Rock Raiders had more complex characters and grittier, almost steampunk color schemes, whereas Power Miners had more fun sets, a wackier story, wider variety in sets and functions, and in many cases more versatile parts.And although it seems as though Power Miners comes out better in a lot of ways, a lot of that is just because of when the themes occurred. Rock Raiders was released at a time when many LEGO set designs were becoming "juniorized", with lots of bulky, specialized parts. Power Miners was released after TLG had many years to reverse this trend. If Power Miners were released in 1999 and Rock Raiders were released in 2009, I would expect Rock Raiders to be the better theme.

I loved Rock Raiders. It actually had a sense of direction, unlike Power Miners, which was pretty chaotic. Power Miners had a lot going on in terms of kid appeal and some hilarious color choices, but Rock Raiders just had that "cool" factor, with good artistry and design for the theme. Plus, that name is so much better.

I loved Rock Raiders. It actually had a sense of direction, unlike Power Miners, which was pretty chaotic.

Unfortunately, it seems that happens with a lot of Lego's short-lived brands - Exo-force (*sniff* :(), Dino Attack, and a few others I can't recall now.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png