What were some of your most outlandish theories?

SPIRIT

Can you think back to theories you had back in the day that have since been debunked?

Back in 2004, I assumed there must always be six Toa in a group, and since we knew that Lhikan and Nidhiki were Toa, I figured they must be part of a team that incorporated Dume as their Toa of Stone (since it wasn't clear what colour he was from initial images of him), Krekka as their Toa of Ice, Nivawk as their Toa of Earth, and that we'd get another bonus set for their Toa of Water.  As we all know, that's not exactly what happened!

How about you?  Got any theories that you can laugh at now that we know how things end?

Well. I for some reason used to think that Matoro was going to turn evil during the Mahri year due to his assosciation with Maxilos/Makuta, I think? Not entirely sure why that theory was a thing.

I also originally was vehemently against the entire concept of the Mata Nui Robot and the Mata Nui = the Universe theory until I watched the Mata Nui rising video and was thoroughly disproven.

• Upvote 2

-Kongu Champion Gukko Rider

"Two, Four, One, Ten, Two, Four, One, Ten. Am I Transmitting, Is Anyone Listening..?"

LEGO Universe Fan - BIONICLE Fan from 2001 - Discovered BZP in 2007

Not really a theory, but my only exposure to the Toa Mata back in the day was through the books. The only images of the Toa I had was a lineup of their heads and upper torsos, and I assumed for a while that the brown guy was Onua and the black guy was Pohatu. Took me a while to realize the discrepancies.

• Upvote 2

Proposal: The Rahi Blade Burrowers were modified by the Hidden Great Being in the Matoran Universe to create their unique tunnel pattern.

The Great Beings tampered with the makeup of the Blade Burrowers, which causes the Rahi to begin digging a series of tunnels as a result. The Blade Burrowers form was created by Makuta Mutran, and used by Barraki Kalmah during his reign in the League of Six Kingdoms. Mutran programmed the Blade Burrowers he sent to die after a span of three days.While searching through the remains of Kalmah's fortress after the League's defeat, Mutran noticed the Burrowers, who had survived their expiration date. He was intrigued by the series of tunnels they were creating, though he was unable to decipher the meaning. He later had a captured Toa with a Kanohi Rau attempt to contact the Rahi, but the Rahi were unable to convey the meaning behind their behavior.

The map that the Blade Burrowers make is the symbol that represents the Three Virtues. It is meant to remind Mata Nui of his mission.

Anyway, given the gathered information above, I will point out that Mutran did not design the burrowers to create their tunnel pattern (since it was a mystery to him), and that he specifically designed these specific Rahi to die after three days. The quote above specifically says that the Great Beings tampered with the burrowers (probably to extend their lifespan and to make them build the pattern). Now, where are the Great Beings during that time frame? They were present during the robot's creation, but I don't see them exactly running about 15,000 to 20,000 years after (BS01 says that the League was defeated "80,000 years ago"). Somebody modified those burrowers, and it would have to have been under Kalmah's nose, or between Mutran and Kalmah, seeing as either didn't know what the map was or why it was in the burrower's brains. Likely either party, or the beings they used to transport the burrowers, would have noticed if a Great Being showed up in all his glory (Hey, let me modify these!). And once the mystery was brought up, I imagine Kalmah the Warlord would have interrogated the beings involved in holding and/or shipping the Rahi, and it would have came out. But the Hidden GB would have brought little or no attention. He might have simply been involved in the transport operation to begin with and could bluff his way out. Also, this particular individual, with his penchant for observation, would likely have wanted to observe the League for information, which could have placed him in this position (important enough to observe, but not really be noticed). A person involved in transportation would know what is going to whom, and possibly have access to port gossip in Kalmah's fortress. But Kalmah and Mutran would likely view such an individual as just another minion, which would likely go unnoticed. So go ahead and point out all the holes the size of blade burrower's tunnels in my theory. :)

This was actually awarded the Key to Nongu award...and then promptly debunked a few posts later. 

I definitely have a few more crazy ones...but most of them haven't actually been debunked, oddly enough. :shrugs: Most have been left as open questions and one actually got supported (the idea that a Toa could fuse with a mask and gain the power of that mask: weird). 

I thought the toa Metru came AFTER the toa Mata, Metru Nui was Mata Nui becoming more like a modern city, the turaga become Toa, Lhikan was a matoran who tamed a Vako, which evolved into kikanilo and he gave the turaga their toa stones. The dark hunters were simply two of Makuta's creations and Dume was an alter ego to use. I got a lot of stuff wrong as a kid.

• Upvote 2

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I thought the toa Metru came AFTER the toa Mata, Metru Nui was Mata Nui becoming more like a modern city, the turaga become Toa, Lhikan was a matoran who tamed a Vako, which evolved into kikanilo and he gave the turaga their toa stones. The dark hunters were simply two of Makuta's creations and Dume was an alter ego to use. I got a lot of stuff wrong as a kid.

This. I thought a similar thing as a kid. I didn't have access to any story material except for the movies, and the book of dark hunters, so I thought that the defeated toa spoken about at the beginning of Legends of Metru Nui were the Toa Nuva, not the Toa Mangai. As for Lihkan, I thought he just showed up at some point and decided to protect the city.

• Upvote 1

Chuck Norik is no match for Bruce Lhikan!

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

The Marendar was basically a giant black and silver metal cat. 

Krika had good in him (disproven, </3 RIP) and Icarax survived being disintegrated (he was my only '08 set for a while, so of course I thought he'd be a bigger deal). 

Hey, you said "Outlandish theories," right?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Keetongu had two eyes behind his scope.

Actually, that one's true.

Woah. I had always thought he was just a cyclops. The more you know!

Personally, I didn't theorize too much about the upcoming story when I was younger, at least that I can remember. Probably for the best, given how young I was when I first became a fan. :P

~B~

The Ignika's failsafe was going to activate, wiping the MU clean of life and setting the stage for the "reboot"/new setting of 2009. The "returning character" Greg teased would be the lone survivor of the wipe.

Dang that would have been extremely depressing. I'm happy that didn't happen.

I remember thinking that Vakama would become a Toa of Time in Bionicle: Legends of Metru Nui during the final scene where he puts on the mask, but that obviously didn't happen.

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

That, in 2009, when Mata Nui was blasted to Bara Magna, he was also sent back in time. Upon landing on the planet and causing social upheaval, he caught the attention of the Great Beings, who had been observing the planet for some time. Far into the future they began building the robot Mata Nui, inspired by him and the Glatorian and Agori, creating a circular paradox. 

Edited by Lord Spyder
  • Upvote 2

Hi there. I'm the creature formerly known as spyder ryder. I've returned from the darkest realms of the internet. Have a nice day!

- That deceased characters were gone for good. 

- The two smaller dots in the symbol of the Three Virtues represented the twin suns shown in LoMN.

- The Great Beings were actual gods that resided in an Asgard-like realm, and the Toa Mata would eventually have to find them in said realm. (Back when I thought that Bionicle was equal parts tech and magic.)

- The Toa Mata were on a transport headed for or near Mata Nui, but were caught in a storm/the transport malfunctioned, causing them to escape via the canisters, then wash up on the island by "accident," aka unknowingly sent there by the GBs.

- The Seventh Toa was on said transport with the other six, but he was not meant to awaken until later, for whatever reason.

- Mata Nui was the foremost of the GBs; a sort of Odin/Zeus.

- Makuta (now Teridax) was a fallen GB. 

- There could only be one of each type of Toa at a time. 

- Prompted by my misunderstanding of how the gang returned to Metru Nui, I began to wonder if each new area existed in a different world, set up in a similar fashion to Yggdrasil.

- Matoro would become an avatar for Mata Nui's spirit, temporarily or even permanently. (A very short-lived theory, considering he went and DIED.)

- Mata Nui's spirit was contained/trapped within the Codrex.

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

Some of them were less theories and just weird assumptions I made before actually following the story.

I pretty much just associated Mata Nui with being the cloest thing there was to a god in Bionicle and he created the universe.

I thought that the Toa were robots, then I thought they were people in robotic suits like Iron Man or something like that.

I also thought Matoro was going to go bad during 2007 and the final battle for that year would be between Jaller and Matoro.

I thought that the Toa were just grown up versions of the Matoran.

-BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER-

When it was 2008 i was trying to learn of the 2001 story and then when Mata Nui raised OMG that robot destroyed all the matoran and turaga in the island of Mata Nui!!!!!!

i know that the matoran and turaga weren't there a few years later.

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Matoran Universe

When it was 2008 i was trying to learn of the 2001 story and then when Mata Nui raised OMG that robot destroyed all the matoran and turaga in the island of Mata Nui!!!!!!

i know that the matoran and turaga weren't there a few years later.

Oh my.

Yep in 2008 i knew the Bionicle story better than my ABC's.

I'm just a simple man, trying to make my way in the Matoran Universe

Ooo boy. I had so many theories back in the day. Mainly, they were trying to reconcile the enigmatic "You dared to oppose your brothers!" line that the Bahrag shouted at the Toa just before they were trapped in a protodermis cage. I was desperately trying to find what was the "Toa-Bohrok" connection. One such theory came about after getting the Toa Inika and noticing how similar Nuparu's Mask of Flight was to a Krana Vu (?), which gave the Bohrok the ability to fly. The Krana Ca and the Kanohi Hau also bore a resemblance in shape, appearance, and power, so I figured there had to be a link involving something the Bahrag produced. Some became Krana, and others were "transformed" into inanimate Kanohi. The Inika's masks looked more like Krana because they were partially "alive" and therefore more like their Krana cousins. Naturally, I couldn't quite account for how the mask makers in Ta-metru originally came about their craft if Kanohi originally came from a Krana-ancestor. And two years later, we discovered the truth about the Toa-Bohrok relationship. But it was a fine idea at the time, so calling it outlandish now is only a moniker from retrospection.

• Upvote 1
Bornicleban.gif

RIP BORNICLE

2004 - 2011

"There are a thousand ways I could bore you...and only 942 of them will put you to sleep. Permanently"