Hi! First of all, I didn't know where to put it so it ends up in general Lego discussion. Second of all I need help. I'm looking for an advanced set to "learn" a bit of building techniques 'n' stuff. It should also be a good looking display piece. I know the modular's are just the thing but here comes the "Temple of Airjitzu"... and it looks very advanced as well. And I know that it's a matter of preference if one likes the oriental architecture more or some classic buildings. So now I'm wondering. What can you guys tell me about modular buildings from creator expert series? Is buying a lego set a good way of learning building techniques in the first place?

(The sets I'm considering are:

A- Parisian Restaurant

B- Detective's Office

C- Temple of Airjitzu)

This is Dakhannn, waiting for a quick answer and signing off ;)

P.S. If this topic is in any way breaking the rules of this forum please PM me if anyone has any piece of advice. Thanks a lot

Edited by Dakhann

Hi! First of all, I didn't know where to put it so it ends up in general Lego discussion. Second of all I need help. I'm looking for an advanced set to "learn" a bit of building techniques 'n' stuff. It should also be a good looking display piece. I know the modular's are just the thing but here comes the "Temple of Airjitzu"... and it looks very advanced as well. And I know that it's a matter of preference if one likes the oriental architecture more or some classic buildings. So now I'm wondering. What can you guys tell me about modular buildings from creator expert series? Is buying a lego set a good way of learning building techniques in the first place?

(The sets I'm considering are:

A- Parisian Restaurant

B- Detective's Office

C- Temple of Airjitzu)

This is Dakhannn, waiting for a quick answer and signing off ;)

P.S. If this topic is in any way breaking the rules of this forum please PM me if anyone has any piece of advice. Thanks a lot

I mean, all three are good sets. But which ones you might want to get depends on exactly what you're looking for in a set.

If you're only interested in learning techniques, you might not even need to buy a set. I tend to like building large sets on Lego Digital Designer (using the free online building instructions) to get an idea of what sorts of techniques they use, without necessarily having to buy every one of them. Occasionally an error or bug in Lego Digital Designer will prevent you from completing a model like that, but there are often workarounds and you don't necessarily need to put the set together fully to understand the techniques involved.

If you're considering actually COLLECTING the modulars, you'd be better off starting with older ones first. Of the three you listed, the Parisian Restaurant is likely to be the first one to be retired (although that might not be for two or three more years).

If you want something that will look good on display, the modulars are probably a better bet (since they have a smaller footprint and are "complete" from all sides with no missing walls). Both the Parisian Restaurant and Detective's Office look great on display. Which one is better comes down to personal preference—do you prefer one large building or two adjoining ones? Olive Green or Medium Nougat? American or European architecture?

If you want something that's fun to play with, I'd recommend either the Temple of Airjitzu or the Detective's Office. The former has a wide cast of characters, some great play scenarios, and other fun features like the shadow puppet theater. The latter has much more play potential than the other modular buildings, with a mystery storyline and plenty of hidden features and props.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Thanks man! :) Exactly what I needed. I don't think I'm going to collect any series apart from bionicle, it's just that I'm looking for some awesome set that's both unusual and very detailed in the design and that looks good on shelf allowing me to learn to build on a higher level at the same time.

Edited by Dakhann

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks man! :) Exactly what I needed. I don't think I'm going to collect any series apart from bionicle, it's just that I'm looking for some awesome set that's both unusual and very detailed in the design and that looks good on shelf allowing me to learn to build on a higher level at the same time.

If you're not looking to collect, you may want to avoid the modulars. They have a way of roping people in.