The End Of Bionicle's Sets 2Nd Anniversary

BULiK

so, because this relate to the bionicle sets, because that is what actually ended, not the story, I put it here.I was hoping that there would be something on the front page, but apparently not.so, on topic. 2 years ago today, the unthinkable happened.black six recieved an email, regarding bionicle.here is the news story.I just wanted to spread the word, and to have a place to discuss this, and mourn the lost.

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

:blink: Hey, that's my job! No idea why I forgot to do it!Even 2 years on, I'm still gutted by what has happened, and I continue to fight on for what I call stolen rights.I'll update my website shortly.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I'll admit. Two years ago when word got out that Bionicle was going to dropped set wise, I was upset beyond words. Two years later, I've gotten a life and I'm a better person for it. I still draw the occasional page of my manga series Bionicle Manga though.

A Toa eh? What kind of Toa am I?

Ever wanted to read a manga styled retelling of the early years of Bionicle? Here ya go!

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=1384

It felt like a big problem at the time. Hardy har-har. I got over it in a week. Still, I wouldn't be sad if it came back.

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

Even 2 years on, I'm still gutted by what has happened, and I continue to fight on for what I call stolen rights.

I'm trying to come to the conclusion of how you call it 'stolen rights'. To me, it'd be like a waiter taking your food away from you at a restaurant. You're done with it, so why ask to take it back, right? Not trying to argue, but that's my view on it. If it's finished, you might as well accept it. Of course, in this case, you'd probably get more emotional over BIONICLE than over the food, but you get my point. :PStill, since BIONICLE has ended, not a lot seems different to me. When I saw the news story, I was freaked out for about five minutes, and went back to viewing the forums. Sure, even though it was a big loss, I wasn't even buying the sets since the end of '08. I had basically lost interest, and I was barely paying attention to the story. So, it didn't really upset me all that much.Also, should I be the first to mention that it's almost the year to two-year anniversary of Hero Factory being around? :P

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

Even 2 years on, I'm still gutted by what has happened, and I continue to fight on for what I call stolen rights.

I'm trying to come to the conclusion of how you call it 'stolen rights'. To me, it'd be like a waiter taking your food away from you at a restaurant. You're done with it, so why ask to take it back, right? Not trying to argue, but that's my view on it. If it's finished, you might as well accept it. Of course, in this case, you'd probably get more emotional over BIONICLE than over the food, but you get my point. :P
I hadn't finished my meal, and had gone to use the toilet. The waiter took my unfinished meal away while I was gone! That's the way I see it.And unless the food was lasagne (and even then...), yes I would get more emotional over Bionicle. :P Edited by Makuta_of_Oz

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I don't feel bad about the sets ending. Everyone here seems to be making way too big of a deal out of it. I admit, it did kind of stun me, but I was over it within about three minutes.As far as sets go, Hero Factory has been much more part-useful, which is all I care about at this point.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Huh, wow. 2 years, it all came to end 2 years ago.I kinda still wished it'd come back. I guess it's up to guys like us to carry on it's legacy. :)

Same here. For a toy line, it really had a legendary soul of it's own.

The Redwall RPG; closed now
Update: RPG has migrated to another location and merged with another. Update 3/29/14 Still Alive 8+ years
Credit to Supernova Productions and Expired! for the Avatar.

Apparently I'm now Kopaka?

Calling it a toy line would be an understatement. It was a story, with new charachters written in annually and released as toys that could not be matched by any other. Then it died.

Bionicle was more than a toyline and a story. It was a way of life! :P It still is!

Lolcholes.Celebrating the day something died seems a little morbid to me. Aren't we supposed to be reminded of the good times, not the bad?Plus, the "stolen goods" analogy doesn't really fly. You didn't pay for those extra years. It came to a natural conclusion, there was an end. You can be sad that's over, but you can't really argue that something you hadn't experienced was "taken" from you.I see a lot of people in this topic expressing good sentiments, which is great, but I'm also seeing a lot of leanings towards unfinished "grief", if you can call it that, which bums me out.

well now that the party cellbration memoral over, I have this to say "don't cry for the dead, celebrate the living" (no clue where I got that from) now I herd talk of food, now any one for cake?

Edited by avak3

I have no Signature,

Why?

I'm Avak3, I don't need one.

I believe that was when I still hadn't thought about Bionicle since '04 or so, so I heard about the cancellation secondhand. Disappointing, but everything has its time.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Not to be insensitive, but this seems a bit excessive to me. We can and should continue to discuss Bionicle, and we can certainly keep our fingers crossed for its return, but at this point, further reflection on its end just seems like beating the proverbial dead horse."That is not dead which can eternal lie, / And with strange aeons even death may die."

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

I'm trying to come to the conclusion of how you call it 'stolen rights'. To me, it'd be like a waiter taking your food away from you at a restaurant. You're done with it, so why ask to take it back, right? Not trying to argue, but that's my view on it. If it's finished, you might as well accept it. Of course, in this case, you'd probably get more emotional over BIONICLE than over the food, but you get my point. :P
I hadn't finished my meal, and had gone to use the toilet. The waiter took my unfinished meal away while I was gone! That's the way I see it.And unless the food was lasagne (and even then...), yes I would get more emotional over Bionicle. :P
A better analogy would be that you keep ordering food from the waiter, and eventually you reach a point where the restaurant closes and you can't order anything else. Nothing was stolen from you, you just don't get more. You don't have any sort of "right" to more just because you were expecting it, nor does the restaurant owe you anything.Also, I don't keep track of this "anniversary" because it really wasn't that big a deal to me. Oh no BIONICLE ended. Oh look something that's basically BIONICLE under a new name. Gimme.

OpAXNpl.jpg

I hadn't finished my meal, and had gone to use the toilet. The waiter took my unfinished meal away while I was gone! That's the way I see it.And unless the food was lasagne (and even then...), yes I would get more emotional over Bionicle. :P
A better analogy would be that you keep ordering food from the waiter, and eventually you reach a point where the restaurant closes and you can't order anything else. Nothing was stolen from you, you just don't get more. You don't have any sort of "right" to more just because you were expecting it, nor does the restaurant owe you anything.Also, I don't keep track of this "anniversary" because it really wasn't that big a deal to me. Oh no BIONICLE ended. Oh look something that's basically BIONICLE under a new name. Gimme.
I appreciate your analogy, but I really dislike the claim that HF is basically BIONICLE under a new name, whether it's being used in favor of HF or against it. There are a lot of things BIONICLE and Hero Factory have in common, but there are also differences. And unless a person is completely indifferent about these things that changed, then they'll recognize that the two themes have things separating them.Some people liked BIONICLE primarily for its epic and constantly-expanding story. For these people, HF much different from BIONICLE. Although it continues to tell new stories each wave, it does not tend to expand on the mysteries or plot threads established in previous waves. Instead, each wave's story is pretty much self-inclusive. Others might have disliked this aspect of BIONICLE because it made the story hard to keep up with, and for them this might make Hero Factory different in a good way, but it is still different.There are many ways in which the BIONICLE sets are the same as Hero Factory's (or at least, ways in which BIONICLE sets are more different than one another than they are from Hero Factory's sets). But there are also ways in which they are different. Many Hero Factory parts have a much smoother, more solid aesthetic than a lot of BIONICLE parts. Most Toa torso designs aren't nearly as solid-looking as the HF 2.0 torso shell. Now, personally, I like both of these aesthetics-- I liked BIONICLE's designs for their high detail just as I like Hero Factory's designs for their simplicity. But even when neither stands out as "better" than the other, I wouldn't by any means say they were the same.And I see the idea that sets are the same as one another used against them as often as I see it used in their favor. Certain AFOL sites would regularly complain about how BIONICLE set designs were the same every year, something any BIONICLE fan knows not to be true. But to an AFOL who isn't interested in action figure themes at all, one mask-wearing red action figure with a sword is about the same as any other mask-wearing red action figure with a sword. AFOLs who dislike BIONICLE also use this as a criticism of Hero Factory-- that it's basically "BIONICLE under a new name" and thus lacks any uniqueness of its own.tl;dr I think BIONICLE and Hero Factory are very different even though I am a big fan of both themes.

I see where you're coming from, but I was mainly talking sets. And at their core, from my perspective, they're both ball-jointed constraction figure themes. Hero Factory may have a different style than BIONICLE, but the same could be said for 2001 BIONICLE vs. 2009/2010 BIONICLE.(Though at the time, Hero Factory had mostly the same style as BIONICLE. The system hadn't changed yet.)

OpAXNpl.jpg

Has it already been two years? TIme sure flies...but I still MOC, and will never stop! Maybe in 8 years Lego will bring Bionicle back, new and improved; a fresh story that is still connected in a way to the old one...shining new set design (or if they bring back the old one, it will seem new). Maybe we'll never have Bionicle back...I can still remember, I woke up in the morning, in my cousin's house, checked BZP before heading to the kitchen...my jaw dropped, and I went and told my cousins, who liked Bionicle.=)

Edited by Space: Ocean of Awe

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad