The Most Unloved Thing In all of Bionicle

fishers64

I could be wrong, but I think the unavailability of large numbers of McToran outside of the McDonald's promotion was an annoyance early on.  For those of us who either came to Bionicle too late or just didn't want to buy fast food, building a collection of Matoran villagers wasn't as easy as buying regular, new sets from Lego.  I think if they had sold small McToran sets throughout 2001-2003, people would have bought them.  :P  But then the Matoran weren't the heroes or the focus of the early story: the Toa (and Turaga) were.

• Upvote 5

It was never finished. There were many minor gripes I had throughout its run, but the fact that it had something going at the end that was never finished ticks me off the most.

I give a close second to the fact that Krakua was set up to have a really great story to him, and ended up being nothing more than a minor soldier mentioned once or twice in the war. 

• Upvote 11

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

There was a while where literally no one would stop talking about how much they hated the Hordika. They weren't even bad sets, but people complained about mutant characters not having identical arms. Think about that for a moment.

The unavailability of the Tohunga was another, which makes me glad that I got mine when I did because I've seen multiple people charge $80+ for a full set. The Inika build was a big complaint with it's overuse, as well as clone designs before 2007 started breaking that up.

People also didn't like the playsets for whatever reason. I thought they were all pretty well designed, but opinions are opinions, I guess.

• Upvote 5

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

The Bohrok-Kal saga in general. I just wish there was ANY kind of official explanation as to why the Nuva symbols/cube existed (outside of their sole purpose as a convenient plot device, of course.) On top of that, the Kal were practically shameless clones of sets from the year before. 

Edited by IXRollOutIX
  • Upvote 7

Definately the serials, or the plot holes of 03. I don't mind it, but then again when you really look at how fleshed out every other year is compared the the Kal, there's a lot of questions

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

i remember thinking that the rubber masks (and the smooth, featureless 'avocado heads' beneath them) were disappointing. I also think that the movement away from complex gear-based designs to very basic sets with a low amount of pieces in them was disappointing. Also, I found earlier pieces easier to use in order to create my own creations, while the newer pieces were bigger (because the newer models has less pieces, the new sets had bigger, clunkier pieces, if I remember correctly).

• Upvote 3

Vezon?

Though to be perfectly honest I thought he was quite charming.

I don't know if it's meaningful to find the single worst thing in Bionicle, since it's all pretty subjective and even objectively I doubt there's one thing, so it's only worth then making list of all the things we hate about Bionicle... making us the worst fans ever if we just pay attention to what we hate about what we love so much, so... wow

The fandom. 

lol  xD

Edited by Banana Gunz
  • Upvote 5

Time for a list of things I disliked about bionicle.

Makuta Teridax: I could never understand how he could make up so many backup plans and I have never seen him suffer a major failure that wasn't part of another plan he had in mind.

2001: The Rahi are awesome sets, but I wish the blue Tarakava and orange Manas had different kanohi instead of masks that I can buy for $2-$5. I also disliked the bright orange Kaukau, it stood out in a bad way.

2002: The toa Nuva's kanohi designs are good and bad at the same time. While they are unique, they just don't bear enough resemblance to the original kanohi they were based on. When I saw the toa Nuva for the first time, I honestly thought they were different toa.

2003: The Bohrok-Kal. They were so bad, they nearly killed bionicle. Enough said. The Kraata were also overkill as collectibles, who would have the time, money and effort to collect at least 100 of them? It would be easier to collect all 96 krana, every misprint, unique kanohi or even all the Great and Noble masks sold in those mask packs.

2004: The Toa Metru's masks were pretty bad. They bore little to no resemblance to their masks as Turaga and the only one I liked was Matau's.

2005: I don't care that the story was set here as a marketing gimmick and to extend the life of the toa Metru, but what irked me was the designs of the toa. Are they meant to be beasts? They look more like clones with withered arms than beasts to me. I also thought Roodaka's set design could've been toned down a bit since it did go overboard trying to convey a female figure.

2006: Who told Lego to make the setting darker and edgier? A pitiful attempt at being more grim made me lose a lot of interest in the story. It also didn't help that the skakdi were asymmetrical, the dreaded Inika build was born and the rubber kanohi and heads that didn't even glow in the dark should've been scrapped and replaced with new plastic kanohi and Metru heads. Also, who wants to collect Zamor spheres? I'd rather go back to the Kraata, they were infinitely more varied and interesting.

2007: The squid launcher. This should've been scrapped a long time ago. The Cordak missiles were absolute rubbish, they rubbed against the barrel and caused too much friction. Whoever made those rubber squids should've been fired.

2008: The Av-Matoran. I thought we got over specialized pieces a long time ago and we would see something new like we did with the Voyatoran and Mahritoran. I was wrong. I also found the Misitika, Gorast and Krika to be really bad. Tahu's shield should've been replaced, his mask design is worse than the Hau Nuva from 2003, Gali's body got switched with Onua's and her mask gave her bunny ears and a waffle eye. I wish it had a visor instead. Onua's mask is the most tolerable, but I wish it bore more resemblance to the original Pakari or the Nuva Kanohi. Gorast's arms sucked because of the unbendable limbs and Krika shares the same problem.

I completely tuned out after 2009-2010 since I could tell things were getting pretty bad.

• Upvote 3

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Time for a list of things I disliked about bionicle.

Hatemonger. :P

The thing I like the least in Bionicle is the lack of connection. We are supposed to believe that the great beings snapped Matoran out of thin air, but couldn't do the same with the GSR? And all the loopholes and frayed ends that make up that monstrosity, Bionicle Storyline/Theories. :P

Well, I'm outta here.

• Upvote 6

It was never finished.

See, I don't get why this comes up so much, because for many definitions of "finished", Bionicle was by all means finished. The main conflict was resolved, most main plot threads resolved, character arcs concluded, etc. It's not like it dropped off before Makuta was defeated or Mata Nui was revealed; it told its story, start to finish.

Most things that were not resolved when Bionicle concluded were slapped on knowing full well the main story was ending soon. The Velika story, the civil war idea, the Red Star thing -- all of this was an attempt at a "next chapter", so to speak. (Others were some plot threads that were unceremoniously dropped when the line was cancelled, but I still don't think that qualifies as unfinished so much as shoddily finished.) It's like if J. K. Rowling started some small stories set after the end of the 7th book, but then dropped them. It would be foolish to claim under those conditions that Harry Potter was an unfinished story, because it already told its story. Voldemort was defeated. Similarly, Bionicle told its story. Bionicle was a finished story. The unfinished parts were an attempt to continue after the end that didn't pan out when Greg realized he far prefers writing things that make him the money he needs to survive.

• Upvote 9

The unfinished parts were an attempt to continue after the end that didn't pan out when Greg realized he far prefers writing things that make him the money he needs to survive.

Yes, one day when one of the unfinished serials was being written, a voice boomed out: "Greg Farshtey needs money badly," and, soon after, "Greg Farshtey is about to die." And then the serials stopped.

In relation to the actual topic's question, though, I'd agree that gender ratios are a strong contender for the answer.

~B~

Edited by Ballom
  • Upvote 4

It was never finished.

See, I don't get why this comes up so much, because for many definitions of "finished", Bionicle was by all means finished. The main conflict was resolved, most main plot threads resolved, character arcs concluded, etc. It's not like it dropped off before Makuta was defeated or Mata Nui was revealed; it told its story, start to finish.

Most things that were not resolved when Bionicle concluded were slapped on knowing full well the main story was ending soon. The Velika story, the civil war idea, the Red Star thing -- all of this was an attempt at a "next chapter", so to speak. (Others were some plot threads that were unceremoniously dropped when the line was cancelled, but I still don't think that qualifies as unfinished so much as shoddily finished.) It's like if J. K. Rowling started some small stories set after the end of the 7th book, but then dropped them. It would be foolish to claim under those conditions that Harry Potter was an unfinished story, because it already told its story. Voldemort was defeated. Similarly, Bionicle told its story. Bionicle was a finished story. The unfinished parts were an attempt to continue after the end that didn't pan out when Greg realized he far prefers writing things that make him the money he needs to survive.

Actually, a lot of the serials were follow-ups to things introduced during the main run. The Mahri and the Golden Fusion, for example, happened in late-'09, and weren't fully dealt with until later. We still don't know exactly what happened to the Mahri. 

The RS--Gali saw something alive up there back in 2007, and this was explored in more detail in 2010.

All established earlier on, but sadly not explored until much later, not "slapped on at the end," as you so claim.

• Upvote 3

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

It was never finished.

Actually, a lot of the serials were follow-ups to things introduced during the main run. The Mahri and the Golden Fusion, for example, happened in late-'09, and weren't fully dealt with until later. We still don't know exactly what happened to the Mahri. 

The RS--Gali saw something alive up there back in 2007, and this was explored in more detail in 2010.

All established earlier on, but sadly not explored until much later, not "slapped on at the end," as you so claim.

Both of those were in serials, where Greg had free rein to add on as many little plot threads as he wanted. They hardly qualify as integral parts of the main story that were left unfinished. The main story very much said what it was going to say.

Edited by Dina Saruyama
  • Upvote 2

It was never finished.

Both of those were in serials, where Greg had free rein to add on as many little plot threads as he wanted. They hardly qualify as integral parts of the main story that were left unfinished. The main story very much said what it was going to say.

But.. but... closure...

Er, the Red Star was introduced back in 2001, and it's mystery was added to with the transformation of the Inika in 2006. It wasn't tacked on.

Now the stuff about Velika, the characters sent to the GBs fortress, etc wouldn't be an invalid argument for tack-onedness, but the Red Star was a hanging plot thread that was a valid route for the serials to take on. 

• Upvote 5

Trans-blue mask of water. Not the mask itself, but just what happened as a result of it.

????

A lot of people are bitter about the exclusivity of the mask (only 200 were made available), that is probably what steelviper77 is talking about.

• Upvote 3

IetTsFQ.png

Trans-blue mask of water. Not the mask itself, but just what happened as a result of it.

????

A lot of people are bitter about the exclusivity of the mask (only 200 were made available), that is probably what steelviper77 is talking about.

exclusive, so what? :s what happened

TheSkeletonMan939, Twister92, SPIRIT and Gatanui are awesome for uploading soundtracks and games and stuff.