Merging Generation 1 and Generation 2 Cohesively

******WARNING-LONG POST ALERT******

Now before I start, I would just like to say that I know not everybody wants the two generations merged, and that’s fine. I however, loved how intricate the initial storyline was and this new basic Generation 2 storyline pales in comparison so far.  I also apologize if this idea has been proposed before, and if it was, I did not intend to steal this idea and claim it as my own. I just figured that merging the continuities would be a fun challenge and as such, here is how I’d do it, thus allowing for a soft reboot for the kids of today, but allowing the older fans to still have a connection to the story and characters they grew up with and loved.  

Starting off, let us begin with where we left off in Generation 1, a cliff hanger on all fronts of the story. From what we know about Generation 2, it’s more or less a clean slate, but this could simply be due to lack of information. Let’s assume that an unspecified amount of time has passed between Generation 1 and Generation 2. Not a lot, but enough to conclude the cliff hangers left from the serials a few years ago. (An example would be, and while we don’t know how it will occur, that Lewa eventually escaped captivity from the Bota Maga, learned Agori and regrouped with his team)

Now you may be saying works so far, or maybe this is taking too much liberty and is too fan fiction-y already.  I do not know.  Despite this, we will begin with the premise of Generation 2 and begin to merge it with Generation 1. Generation 1 left us with everybody on Spherus Magna, and for the most part, happily. The Mata Nui robot was scattered across the planet, and that is all we know of what happened to it for the most part. This brings us to the new Island of Okoto. (May it be noted that this new generation has simplified the names and or eliminated them all together) Looking at a map of Okoto and Artakha, they are not too dissimilar. My idea proposes that the island of Okoto and Artakha are actually one and the same. The island itself was named after the being Artakha himself, this having been stated. Something else that has popped into my thoughts was that what if the island of Artakha was simply named Artakha by outsiders? The city/island was closed off for how many years after the incident with the Makuta. Besides recently the Toa Nuva being there, nobody knows what it looks like or even knows much about it period. Who is to argue that its real name, known only to its residents, was actually ...Okoto.

Following this, during the events of 2010 with the Mata Nui Robot falling to the ground, in the mayhem, and this is where some people may jump off board of my theory, what if Makuta in his last act before falling, managed to remove the mask of creation from Artakha in some fashion, and it subsequently got lost in the city itself during these events. Fearing for his life as well as everybody else’s, Artakha was forced to flee his island and escape to Spherus Magna, without his mask, and sadly, some residents of his city.

So, where does Ekimu fit into this theory? Taking a page from Marvel with Thor and Mjölnir, as well as the fact that we never knew much about Artakha in the first place, what if wearing the mask of creation simply creates the being Artakha, such as how one who wields Thor’s hammer subsequently becomes Thor? What if Ekimu, a matoran/villager/agori/something, had become Artakha when he was rewarded the mask all those years ago.  Having lost it, he simply reverted back to being Ekimu.

As mentioned, some matoran/villagers (Using Generation 2 vocabulary) were trapped and did not escape the robot, and as always , divided themselves based upon elements an continued to live as best they could in this newly rejuvenated Artakha/Okoto . (This would be thanks to either the mask of creation or the mask of life, or even both) Eventually, on Spherus Magna, the Ignika at some point either devolved the rest of the Toa Nuva, or evolved Tahu again, and due to their adaptive armor, they now look the way they do. At some point and by somebody, they were tasked to go back into the robot to the mask maker’s city, where Teridax, having unbeknownst to everybody, actually fell into a coma like the new Generation 2 story depicts.

As for our heroes, canister travel is nothing new, nor forgettable, or is it…? The Toa Nuva, once again, suffered amnesia upon arrival, but subconsciously still knew that their mission was to collect their new adaptive golden Kanohi Nuva (That Artakha had been working on before the events of 2010), as well as collecting the mask of creation and saving the Matoran/Villagers. Teridax, still being alive, used his powers to raise his army of undead warriors under Kulta’s command, and control the king of skull spiders, and set them upon our beloved Toa Nuva, thus bringing us to where the story currently is at on BIONICLE.Com

This is just a theory, but I hope you all enjoyed it. If this is in the wrong thread, I apologize, please move it. Also, if this theory has been proposed by somebody else, feel free to speak up and take credit for being first to think of this. Otherwise, tell me what you guys think. Did I forget anything you’d like to add? Did I dig any plot holes that I may fall into? Thanks for reading!

Edited by Guardian Legend
  • Upvote 1

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

I however, loved how intricate the initial storyline was and this new basic Generation 2 storyline pales in comparison so far.

I don't get it when people say this.

How intricate was the initial storyline in 2001? More or less it was at G2 levels of simpleness. The MNOLG and the comics were pretty much the only storyline sources, and their plots weren't necessarily vast or chaotic, with multiple plotlines weaving in and out of each other. There were mysterious goings-on that were hard to comprehend, no doubt - like the Red Star, or the mysterious impassable layer in the Onu-Koro mines - but overall there was nothing remarkably complicated about the G1 storyline when it started out.

Give G2 some time to develop. It's possible that it could similarly go into Pirates 3 levels of plot-thickness (though I really doubt it).

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 9

Of course Gen 1 wasn't complicated, but as time went on, it was very much a part of a much bigger story that was planned out from the get go. 

• Upvote 1

“We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."

-The Doctor

And this was just my way of trying to merge them, if they were in the same universe. I know they are not. 

• Upvote 1

-The Doctor

And we don't at the moment. However, there is a significant lack of story so far compared to it's 2001 counterpart, which makes me think that maybe it isn't all well planned out as Generation 1. That was the downfall of it after all. Maybe Generation 2 is trying to stray away from that? 

-The Doctor

I actually don't think we've had a theory suggesting that Okoto is the island of Artakha before, so this is somewhat unique. ;)

However, it doesn't really work if the aim is to avoid contradicting canon. This is primarily because Artakha isn't similar enough to Okoto - it lacks the elemental division; (I believe) it is almost entirely covered by city; that city is built out of metallic Protodermis rather than stone and at the centre of Artakha was a giant metal

Hau.

There also isn't space in the G1 canon for the events you talk about with Artakha, because by the end of the 2010 story he was already on Spherus Magna, having been on his own adventures in the GSR. There is no room for him to lose the Mask of Creation in that timeframe. I'm also unsure about how you would have Teridax being on Artakha, as at the time of his defeat his body was the GSR and he had no other physical form that could have survived elsewhere.

• Upvote 1
:v: :m_o: :t: :u: :k: :m_o:

Ah, that is true about about Artakha being on his own adventures, but then again, he could have popped off to his island to help evacuate his villagers. As for Teridax, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a back up body armor somewhere. He was always scheming. Anyway, that's stretching it, I know. :P 

-The Doctor

Obviously its a huge dreamworld by the Gold Skinned Being. 

But yea, the two are separate storylines. There will be nods to the previous story, but so far all we know that those are easter eggs or recycled elements for storytelling. The only "links" I can think of is whatever role the Mask of Time plays and perhaps Takanuva. 

But in the end its still Bionicle. If anyone wants any connection, you can literally just say "it's an alternate dimension." With that I can amuse myself by imagining Takanuva from 08 dropping in one of the alt dimensions and solving problems.

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Makes me think if Taka or Vezon may accidentally pop in at some point.

-The Doctor

Of course Gen 1 wasn't complicated, but as time went on, it was very much a part of a much bigger story that was planned out from the get go. 

I'm pretty sure at least 50% of the story was made up later. In toy-based storylines, you don't exactly have the luxury of planning an entire ten-year story from the very beginning. If I had to put a cap on how much was probably planned in 2001, I'd put it no later than 2003, barring the giant robot reveal and related plot threads. Things like the Mask of Life, Karda Nui, etc. seem like they came later in development, when it was decided to stave off the reviving of Mata Nui a little longer.

Bionicle G2, meanwhile, is confirmed to have three years of story planned, probably with some kind of "end game" in sight. Let the plot unfold a bit more. We already have several key plot points to be explored, most importantly the most powerful mask, which is still missing.

• Upvote 4

Oh, I was under the impression that they had most of it planned out up till 2008, albeit the Toa Inika/Mahri were supposed to be the ones in Karda Nui. 

-The Doctor

Oh, I was under the impression that they had most of it planned out up till 2008, albeit the Toa Inika/Mahri were supposed to be the ones in Karda Nui.

Nah. While G1 planned a lot of things ahead of time, a large chunk of it was still just the story team winging it. It wasn't a case of everything being fully planned out from the very beginning like some people would have you believe. Like Dina said, most of the stuff that got planned out pre-01 really only lasted until 03. Deciding that MOL wasn't going to be the finale tossed a monkey wrench into things and thus most of the story of later years was planned out after that. I actually begrudge the Metru Nui arc much less than I used to, since its apparent they needed the filler period to let them sort out how to properly continue on the main plot.

Also, before I get called out on calling the Metru Nui years filler, I understand that they contributed a lot of worldbuilding and I certainly appreciated that, but the fact that it effectively stalled the plot for 2 years before ultimately dumping us into the (IMO pretty disappointing) 06 story, just left a bitter taste in my mouth that I didn't get over for a long time. Actually now I'm probably going to have to explain why I disliked 06... Nah, I'll spare you that at least. I'd rather keep my posts concise.

I agree that 2004-2005 story at least delayed the the current story, but I did and still do not mind it. As for 2006, I greatly enjoyed that year. 

-The Doctor

If you believe everything Lego is telling you, then you are closing your mind to their secrets. Pay attention and look at the easter eggs. They are clearly continuing Bionicle and you will find out why.

SZ06Wal.jpg

closer to the truth

He speaks the truth, though.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

I agree that 2004-2005 story at least delayed the the current story, but I did and still do not mind it. As for 2006, I greatly enjoyed that year. 

Yeah, I was speaking more from what I felt back in the day more than anything else. I really don't mind going back to the Metru Arc nowadays and the 06 and beyond story certainly benefitted from the ways that it broadened the scope of things. I'm still not the most fond of 06 itself still, but I don't dislike it that strongly anymore.

I always found 2006 to be a new era of BIONICLE, and I liked the dark turn it took. The 2006-2008 story is easily my favorite, but to each their own. :P

• Upvote 1

-The Doctor

NEWS FLASH!, Okoto is in a pocket dimension and the whole of G2 is just a part of the Toa's training, their mental training. They have finished their physical training but they still need to be prepared mentally. but this whole thing is in their heads and thus they all look different than how they actually look, i.e they look like how they think or want themselves to look.

(Theory)

• Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Yeah, there are numerous possibilities, and that's the good thing about speculation, it's boundless. I just hope they connect them at some point.  

• Upvote 1

-The Doctor

I simply like to believe G2 is in an alternate dimension and the whole "it's hard reboot" thing is just to have us surprised when some more of a major link to G1 pops up in the story.

If your twist relies on blatant lying to preserve it, it's not a good twist.

Not saying they blatantly lied, but if they had opened up even as much as a hint to a possible link to the old universe there wouldn't be as much intrigue.

97fbefa58de6a357f47187fd56bc8076-d6d4bzl

I simply like to believe G2 is in an alternate dimension and the whole "it's hard reboot" thing is just to have us surprised when some more of a major link to G1 pops up in the story.

Not saying they blatantly lied, but if they had opened up even as much as a hint to a possible link to the old universe there wouldn't be as much intrigue.

Saying "it's a reboot" when it's not a reboot sounds like blatantly lying to me.

• Upvote 2

Saying "it's a reboot" when it's not a reboot sounds like blatantly lying to me.

Welp I'll have to agree to some extent. I guess all this could just be wishful thinking on my part. :confused:

• Upvote 1

97fbefa58de6a357f47187fd56bc8076-d6d4bzl

If you believe everything Lego is telling you, then you are closing your mind to their secrets. Pay attention and look at the easter eggs. They are clearly continuing Bionicle and you will find out why.

SZ06Wal.jpg

closer to the truth

Closer to the Truth....

Edited by AidanBionicle1
  • Upvote 2

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

SZ06Wal.jpg

closer to the truth

He... Really doesn't.

Edited by Logan McOwen
  • Upvote 1

Interesting theories all around, but here's two more for consideration:

1. The Toa Mata/Nuva are dead. Time has moved forward a bit, Okoto is an island on the future Spherus Magna, and the ritual the Protectors performed to summon the so-called "timeless heroes" was actually the energies of the Vahi turning back time on their bodies in order to resurrect them. Highly unlikely, I know, but an interesting thought nonetheless.

2. Voporak, accidentally or otherwise, ended up breaking the Mask of Time. This ended up creating the Bionicle version of the Flashpoint Paradox, which subsequently erased all of the continuity of Generation 1 while leaving us with the current Generation 2 universe. Lego somewhat truthfully labels G2 a reboot (because technically it would be in that case), and fans of G1 everywhere suddenly feel the urge to "reboot" their Voporak set upside the head upon learning this. :P

• Upvote 1

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

Look man, this is as futile as saying that Celts arrived on New Zealand before the Maori did. The two aren't connected. Besides, the toa came from celestial objects in this iteration, I am sure the Matoran Universe doesn't have any real celestial objects, just light-stones, weather recreations and holograms.

SZ06Wal.jpg

closer to the truth

Ermaghersh, a Christian symbol from the Italian Renaissance. :sarcastic:

• Upvote 2

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I think these kind of topics should be deleted, along with ones about earth vs stone (I will be held responsible for contributing this kind of post) & canonizing genders for secondary elements.

• Upvote 2

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I think these kind of topics should be deleted, along with ones about earth vs stone (I will be held responsible for contributing this kind of post) & canonizing genders for secondary elements.

And for every person who wants these topics banned, there is another one who wants them to live on. Artificially banning topics on these subjects is not in this nature of this forum, otherwise nothing would ever be allowed because somebody out there didn't like it. 

Rule of thumb: If you don't like a topic, don't post in it. Ignore it. Topics need other people discussing them to stay alive, and if nobody wants to discuss a certain subject around here, it will soon die. 

• Upvote 4

Congratz, OP, this is the best cohesion theory i have read thus far. 

Thanks! It popped into my head one day while I was at the gym and then before I knew it, I was done working out and instantly had to go to my computer to type it out. 

Also, I think that maybe there should be an official G1-G2 thread where everybody can post their theories like mine. It might make the forum a bit less cluttered.  

-The Doctor