Missed Opportunities

Bonkle

What things do you think a set could have included to be better? Another figure or mask, a certain function or whatever else? Also, please don't post ideas for entirely new sets. We already have that here: http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/19741-what-bionicle-set-would-you-include/

Personally, I think LoSS would have been the perfect place for the last two Skull Spider variants.

• Upvote 2

Let's see... More Spider colors, yes. GITD would be amazing!

Slicer could have a new mask altogether, rather than the Skull Spider mask that we have so much of.

Another villain set featuring a drained mask for Gali (since her fully transparent mask was such a rare exclusive that only so few actually own one).

That's all I can think of for right now.

• Upvote 5

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

I really don't think Spiders are something we need more of. I have like 10 of them lying around and I'm afraid they're gonna get lost, but I might not noticed because there's so many of them.

New masks/faces. Why don't all the new sets have their own masks? I mean, the small protector sets are understandable (kinda, not really), but the Skulls sets have multiple reused masks which just seems cheap. They had the chance to create all sorts of strange creature skulls, but they passed up on it.

• Upvote 2

Y'know what else was a missed opportunity?

Everytime in G1 when we saw a Matoran with one of the Toa Metru's masks, in the same exact colour as their corresponding Toa.

...you're talking about the Noble versions, right?

i believe they mean sets like sarda and the matoran of voya nui, how they all had mask+element correspondence as the toa metru (balta/sarda/vakama with a dark red huna, kazi/nuju with a white matatu, etc. etc.)

i cannot stress how much i miss mask packs honestly...mask recolors were always my favorite thing as a kid and they sparked my imagination in some of the best of ways, i would've killed to see recolors of the toa metru's masks

alas all we got was idris' dark blue ruru

• Upvote 2

~ diabolical ~

Y'know what else was a missed opportunity?

Everytime in G1 when we saw a Matoran with one of the Toa Metru's masks, in the same exact colour as their corresponding Toa.

...you're talking about the Noble versions, right?

i believe they mean sets like sarda and the matoran of voya nui, how they all had mask+element correspondence as the toa metru (balta/sarda/vakama with a dark red huna, kazi/nuju with a white matatu, etc. etc.)

i cannot stress how much i miss mask packs honestly...mask recolors were always my favorite thing as a kid and they sparked my imagination in some of the best of ways, i would've killed to see recolors of the toa metru's masks

alas all we got was idris' dark blue ruru

Yes, that is exactly what I meant, thank you.

I really don't think Spiders are something we need more of. I have like 10 of them lying around and I'm afraid they're gonna get lost, but I might not noticed because there's so many of them.

There can never be enough spiders.

But I was suggesting that in each element, there would be a different type of Skull Spider example:

Ice sets: Silver

Water sets: Purple

Stone sets: Blue tailed

Fire sets: Green

Jungle sets: Blue

Earth sets: Red

Edited by Petewa

Red skull spiders, purple skull spiders, green skull spiders...

Also, I want to see the partially drained masks of Tahu and Gali. Seems odd to not include them - the story so far isn't supporting why they aren't included, but that could all change. Either way, two more unique villains with these masks would have been cool.

Oh, and instead of trans-neon green on Pohatu, it should have been trans-yellow. Like Oohnorak's eye colour in '05.

Edited by Ragnar Lothbrok
  • Upvote 2

index.jpg

Twitter: @enkindle_this

i wish the matoran sets got as creative with their color schemes as they did with the matoran characters in mnog 1 and 2, the most innovation we saw in a color scheme with any of the later matoran sets was probably idris as she had trans-blue accompanied with the then norm of dark blue

well in general a lot of color schemes between 04-08 were pretty dulled out, especially in 08, and i know by 04 and even some of 02-03 bionicle's general tone started shifting to a darker one but that's much of an excuse to tone down how colorful the sets used to be

any entertainment medium can have a colorful palette but still keep up dark tone, i mean just take majora's mask for example, it's still probably one of the darkest zelda games out there but it manages to keep up with colorful visuals

well back on the matter of matoran i'm still tiffed they never released 03 sets for onu and le matoran, they always had some of my favorite color schemes, oh well i guess they had to keep up with the status quo of 6 small sets a year

that actually brings me to another missed opportunity, there were only four small sets in 07 instead of the usual six, like they probably could've released like maybe two more matoran or something cause i can't get enough of the mahri nui matoran build

• Upvote 3

~ diabolical ~

Well, at the risk of sounding redundant in a sea full of these remarks, Kanohi packs from 2004 onward. Those would've been great.

Aside from that though, I honestly would've loved to different value packs on top of the kanohi ones.  I mean, just imagine a pack of Metru eyestalks in colors that we didn't get in the sets, like purple or full on yellow. I mean, these would've been a great thing for the '08 sets, where it was only orange and light green eye pieces...

Or, how about a value pack that included different colored Cordak (the ammo, not the blasters)? I think that would've been neat.

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

Well, at the risk of sounding redundant in a sea full of these remarks, Kanohi packs from 2004 onward. Those would've been great.

Aside from that though, I honestly would've loved to different value packs on top of the kanohi ones.  I mean, just imagine a pack of Metru eyestalks in colors that we didn't get in the sets, like purple or full on yellow. I mean, these would've been a great thing for the '08 sets, where it was only orange and light green eye pieces...

Or, how about a value pack that included different colored Cordak (the ammo, not the blasters)? I think that would've been neat.

oh dude different colors for cordak rounds and metru eyestalks in packs would've been awesome, it still bugs me to this day that they introduce all these different colors for the metru eyestalks with the toa metru but come 06 all of the other colors were alienated and they only kept lime and orange

the only issue i'd have with different colored cordak rounds is that they'd have the potential to get mismatched with the red rounds (and hypothetically the other color ones) as the other colored zamor spheres and squid ammo did

both are still neat in concept

~ diabolical ~

well back on the matter of matoran i'm still tiffed they never released 03 sets for onu and le matoran, they always had some of my favorite color schemes, oh well i guess they had to keep up with the status quo of 6 small sets a year

that actually brings me to another missed opportunity, there were only four small sets in 07 instead of the usual six, like they probably could've released like maybe two more matoran or something cause i can't get enough of the mahri nui matoran build

Keeping in mind that the 2003 Matoran sets were each Koro's Kolhii team, you can actually build Taipu...just replace Hafu's mask with Onua's, and there you go.

As for 2007, I think they reduced from 6 to 4 small sets because they weren't selling well. It's kind of odd they went back to 6 the very next year, though.

Mask packs were a tremendous loss in my opinion, but I guess the story would have gotten boring if the heroes had to spend half the year finding five masks each. The collectibles in general took a turn for the worse around the time the Rhotuka came out. No official checklist for those, and no real story differentiation. The story gave differentiation for each color of Zamor in the Zamor packs, but each pack included at least one of each color, so the "collectibility" factor was pretty much lost. As for Squid Ammo....what collectibility?

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

I think 2002's Master Builder set should have had more pieces. :P 100 was alright but it always felt like with a few more and different pieces it would have been much more fun for MOCing.

I think 2002's Master Builder set should have had more pieces. :P 100 was alright but it always felt like with a few more and different pieces it would have been much more fun for MOCing.

That'd be great, especially if it included pieces and instructions to build all those Rahi that were in Tales of the Tohunga and MNOLG that weren't already buildable (lightning bug, anyone?).

In fact, there are so many Rahi that only appeared in games, comics, etc. throughout the years, that's a whole category in itself.

• Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

For the Month Of Stone I went back to my Pohatu 2015 set and remade the body to be oriented with the gearbox driving the thighs to kick and run, anyone else wish that this sort of build happened in the official set rather than the geared shoulders?

I was considering making a kicking Pohatu, I couldn't get it to come out right.

• Upvote 1

The Stars. I think Lego could have really sent Bionicle G1 out in a nice way by giving us proper sendoffs of some of our favorite characters- instead they gave us the Av-toran builds and an odd choice of characters. 

The thing is, they literally COULDN'T have. Bionicle was on the brink of cancellation—if not for the Stars, Bionicle would not have gotten a final wave of sets in 2010 at all, and the Stars' minimal budget was really all they could throw together. They were Av-toran builds because smaller sets consistently sold better than larger sets, and because it was cheaper to build off of an established base of pre-designed elements than to have to create a whole new set of elements from scratch. The character selection was based on an assortment of the best-selling sets in Bionicle's history—they didn't want to limit it to just one set of characters, because the Bionicle fans who remained had all become fans at different points, and as such had a better memory of some sets than others. The Stars may not have been the best sets, all things considered, but they were the best send-off Bionicle was going to get.

• Upvote 6

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

The Stars. I think Lego could have really sent Bionicle G1 out in a nice way by giving us proper sendoffs of some of our favorite characters- instead they gave us the Av-toran builds and an odd choice of characters. 

The thing is, they literally COULDN'T have. Bionicle was on the brink of cancellation—if not for the Stars, Bionicle would not have gotten a final wave of sets in 2010 at all, and the Stars' minimal budget was really all they could throw together. They were Av-toran builds because smaller sets consistently sold better than larger sets, and because it was cheaper to build off of an established base of pre-designed elements than to have to create a whole new set of elements from scratch. The character selection was based on an assortment of the best-selling sets in Bionicle's history—they didn't want to limit it to just one set of characters, because the Bionicle fans who remained had all become fans at different points, and as such had a better memory of some sets than others. The Stars may not have been the best sets, all things considered, but they were the best send-off Bionicle was going to get.

Because Skrall number bajillion and Gresh were so popular.

• Upvote 2

Because Skrall number bajillion and Gresh were so popular.

Probably more popular than most of the other first-wave Glatorian (remaking one from the Glatorian Legends wave would be a bad move, since those would almost certainly still be on store shelves), and more recognizable to recent fans (who probably still made up a large chunk of the fanbase even at the theme's end) than any characters from two or more years ago.

I get what you're saying—the Stars may not have been the best send-off. You may have a point there. But the alternative was for the only send-off to be Glatorian Legends, because there was really no chance of getting anything better than the Stars when the theme was already on the chopping-block. IIRC, it was only due to the protests of Lego staff like BZP's own Binkmeister that they even considered a final wave of tribute sets, instead of axing the theme at the end of 2009.

• Upvote 3

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

They missed the oppertunity to really mess with the heads of the old fans. They should have made Makuta the good guy and Ekimu the villain.

That would also give the gen 1 nutters something else to moan about, which frankly would have been hilarious. 

• Upvote 5

I wish the Stars had a unique build. That is all. 

But Rahkshi including a kraata would have been cool. I would like to see Takanuva in white and gold again. Another gold Ignika release would have been cool. Heck a pearl gold Vahi was a missed opportunity.

What do I write here?

Someone, say something funny so you can be remembered for posterity.

I wish the Stars had a unique build. That is all. 

But Rahkshi including a kraata would have been cool. I would like to see Takanuva in white and gold again. Another gold Ignika release would have been cool. Heck a pearl gold Vahi was a missed opportunity.

The stars are super original.

tZa6I5y.jpg?1