The Greatest Themes

Bonkle

I think one of the greatest themes from the time when I was actively a Lego fan was Star Wars. :P

The first thing that made it notable was that it was Lego's first major licensed theme. So if they did it right, they knew they could get the attention of both Star Wars and Lego fans, which they did.

There were a lot of good things about the first couple waves of Lego Star Wars.

For one, there were some good sets all across the price range. There were inexpensive sets like the 7128 Speeder Bikes, 7130 Snowspeeder, and 7101 Lightsaber Duel that were still very fun to play with. But at the other end there was the 7171 Mos Espa Podrace with its enormous and colorful podracers, for example.

Every new theme usually introduces some new pieces, but I think Star Wars was also pretty notable for that, too. Lightsabers don't really count but they were certainly cool. :P It gave us those ubiquitous laser cannon things, some new slope and cockpit pieces, and a lot of new printed panels and parts (like Han Solo frozen in carbonite :P).

The best part was probably the minifigs, though. Some of the coolest ones were available in inexpensive sets, too, like Darth Maul, Boba Fett, and the many Lukes. We got a new hood piece, new hair and head pieces, and new helmets (some of them printed). We also got the very cool R2-D2-type droids, eventually in many colors besides blue. :P

It wasn't a perfect theme and some of the sets were a little flimsy in design, but all in all I think there were a lot of good reasons why Star Wars helped pull Lego out of its pre-2000 slump. :)

• Upvote 1

The three themes mentioned by the OP are great. I'd like to add in Ninjago (one of the most eclectic, unique, and well-designed themes of the modern era), The Lego Movie (Ditto, with an unrivaled media tie-in), and Elves (an amazing fantasy theme in its own right that also happens to be marketed to the underserved female demographic). And finally, I can't believe no one has mentioned Bionicle! It paved the way for pretty much every Lego story theme that came after it, and never really stopped innovating and reinventing itself over the course of its ten-year lifespan.

Edited by Lyichir
  • Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

BIONICLE

It saved LEGO for crying out loud ! ! ! ! !

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

BIONICLE

I posted this in the non-Bionicle forum for a reason....

You didn't strictly exclude Bionicle in either the topic title nor first post. It should be no surprise that people on a Bionicle fansite would consider it one of the greatest Lego themes.

• Upvote 2

BIONICLE

You didn't strictly exclude Bionicle in either the topic title nor first post. It should be no surprise that people on a Bionicle fansite would consider it one of the greatest Lego themes.

I know, I just meant that that was kind of a given. I was looking for other answers.

I also like Mars Mission and SP3

I've been a big fan of Star Wars and Exo-Force so long as they've been around. I also really like Space Police (2) and Lego Marvel Super Heroes. Then, y'know, Bionicle too, because duh. I figure those are my top five.

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

BIONICLE

I know, I just meant that that was kind of a given. I was looking for other answers.

I was a fan of Space Police 3 too, but to be honest, while I still love the general aesthetic and characters, the set designs themselves haven't all aged that well. For instance, the Galactic Enforcer, the biggest set in the theme, is basically a big box with wings—much less complex or interesting than the Mars Mission vehicles that preceded it or the Galaxy Squad vehicles which would come later.

• 1 month later...

BIONICLE

I was a fan of Space Police 3 too, but to be honest, while I still love the general aesthetic and characters, the set designs themselves haven't all aged that well. For instance, the Galactic Enforcer, the biggest set in the theme, is basically a big box with wings—much less complex or interesting than the Mars Mission vehicles that preceded it or the Galaxy Squad vehicles which would come later.

I hadn't paid attention to it until now, but the Undercover Cruiser has a very nice shape, and the Galactic Enforcer's rear thrusters are really cool.

Edited by abstractAgamid

BIONICLE wasn't perfect in terms of sets, but I'm not about to point out what it did wrong while a literal pile of sets is on the other side of my house. We all know why BIONICLE's good, so I won't go into detail. Instead, I'll talk about other good themes.

Star Wars. Oh man, where do I begin? Let's see, its lifespan is 16 years and counting, and that's a really good sign. Each year was jam packed with all these cool-looking sets that are fun in their own little ways no matter what size they are or how many minifigs they have. LEGO Star Wars also had a habit of making new sets based off stuff they already did, but they improve upon it with new play/battle features or a sleeker design and a redesigned minifigure or two for good measure. Meanwhile, they still pump out all these sets based on new stuff like Rebels, The Force Awakens, etc or even focus on something from the movies that didn't get a set. Star Wars is just a really smart theme. It knows how to please a fan and keep getting better with each passing year. I wish I put more cash into that theme instead of Hero Factory. Star Wars is one of the best, if not the best, LEGO themes of all time.

Up next is Exo-Force. You know what I would do if I had a ton of money? Binge-buy all of the sets. Not only was Exo-Force really original, but the sets were pure art. A lot of them had cool designs and weapons and the minifigures were just plain awesome and I thought that even before I got into anime. I regret not getting more sets and that's all gonna change sometime.

Ninjago is a theme that I paid a lot of attention to. Despite a lot of LEGO themes sticking to one category, it was never just vehicles with Ninjago. They did fight scenes, architecture, and dragons too. Let's not forget Spinjitzu and Airjitzu, which bring some more uniqueness to the table. Ninjago is an overall imaginative theme that almost never fails to disappoint. Unless you wanna count the TV show. There was some disappointment there, but that's a story for another day.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Galidor, though? :P

Haha, I kid!

mindeth the cobwebs

Clearly, the greatest themes are space, castle and city, why would Lego keep making sub themes based on those three if they weren't majorly successful?

I think the first two are more categories of themes than specific themes by themselves, like how 'constraction' covers Bionicle and Hero Factory. Admittedly, when Lego first released sets within the medieval and science fiction genres in the 1980s they did use Castle and Space as theme names that included just about every set there was, but more recently (particularly since 2000) sets of those genres have used specific theme names, such as Knights' Kingdom, Kingdoms, Alien Conquest and Mars Mission.

For me, this depends heavily on nostalgia. When I was young, my favorites were Alpha Team, Adventurers, LEGO Island, and BIONICLE, in that order. Without those first three, I wouldn't have bothered with BIONICLE. While some newer sets were probably better, the themes themselves never connected with me like those ones did.

Edited by Lon'qu
How well will you die?

If Galidor was actually successful, then yes, I would consider it the best, but it failed and brought down The Lego Group.

Galidor is hardly to blame for (nearly) bringing down the LEGO Group. It was just one of many failures, and really most of those failures could be seen as symptoms of deeper problems in how the LEGO Group was conducting their business.

(pssst, everyone, read Brick by Brick if you want to know more)

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 3

Besides the obvious Bionicle, the only other theme that particularly captured my attention and love would be Exo-Force. I loved almost everything about it and thought it to be one of the most pleasantly creative lines that Lego was releasing at the time. The first year in particular had such variety and fantastically designed models, from the famous Grand Titan and Striking Venom, and the lesser-seen wonders like Bridge Walker and Supernova. Even looking through the list of sets now is bringing back an awful amount of nostalgia and that sense of wonder each pack inspired. I get the idea that any attempt to revive the line would only produce a shadow of what Exo-Force had been, especially since I have a suspicion Lego might resort to CCBS if Hero Factory's Invasion From Below year was anything to go by.

I also remember Exo-Force holding the title of being the line with the most expensive set that I purchased. £70 for the Sentai Fortress. That was a lot of pocket money I had to save up for that. 

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

For me it'll always be Adventurers. Man, those are some cool sets. What I wouldn't give for a new line featuring Johnny and the gang...

After that it's Exo-Force. Had some really neat concepts and designs. Shame the story just kind of drifted into nothing.

Q2TtLEz.png