the End

Underscore

All good things must come to an end. BZPower has been around for 14 years. Bionicle went on for 10 years, and when it did, activity on BZP rapidly declined, but the site still lived on. Now that Bionicle's back, activity on BZP has increased substantially, but Bionicle G2 can last forever, and neither can BZP. Likewise, not everybody can stay on BZP until it ends. So I'd like to ask, when do you think you will leave BZP? When do you think Bionicle will end? And when will it bring BZP with it?

Edited by erocsrednU
  • Upvote 1

2xu8Ptu.png

Well, Gen 2 Bionicle has a three year plan in place. So we can expect to see it for at least two more years. But even if it was extended beyond that, you are right in that it will eventually end. It just depends on when Lego doesn't think the line is profitable anymore.

As for BZP, I have no idea. The site survived four years without Bionicle as an active Lego theme. Yes, members left the site. But some stayed through those years, like yours truly. And BZP will live on as long as the members stay in its community. If/when they leave, that is when BZP will die off.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Yeah, it's still too soon to tell when the new Bionicle theme will end. It could end right at the end of the initial three-year plan for it, or it could last many more years. It's even possible that Bionicle G2 will outlast the original theme's 10-year lifespan. And regardless of how long it lasts before ending, there's always the possibility that it will be revived again in the future.

As for BZPower? As has been pointed out, the site lasted a full four years after Bionicle ended the first time. The only way I can see the site going away completely would be if it no longer had anything to offer that couldn't be found on other Lego fansites, and I don't think that will ever come to pass.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

As long as people are insane enough to make topics this forum, and as long there are people insane enough to post in them, this site will continue.

As for Bionicle, it's a matter of return on investment. How much is Bionicle profitable for the company, how much will they invest, how much do they get back?

After all that, I'm finally starting to feel that Bionicle has a limit to its potential - while in previous times like in 2005, and 2006 Bionicle's potential felt unlimited like an unstoppable runaway train, these days it's so limited. Constrained. Cut down to size. Almost as if it was too big for itself before, but now it's so...small. Cue the inevitable statement that a bunch of other themes are more popular, whereas Bionicle is now niche and an oddball in the face of the mainstream system stuff. Overshadowed. 

And eventually someone at Lego is going to say that the System themes get more ROI than Technic/Constraction/Bionicle. That person will probably be an accountant. And right now Lego is mega-hugely-successful, so anyone who says that will be brushed off (eh, they give us some ROI, and it's better than the ROI of a bank or over-saturating the System markets). But should lean times come again, I think contraction might be on the chopping block. 

It's possible that Bionicle or the CCBS system could change to have mainstream appeal once again, or maybe their will be something that changes the mainstream to like CCBS. Maybe they will get tired of System and want something different again. But if it doesn't get there again, I think it will eventually be abandoned. 

*cue ominous music here*

• Upvote 1

As long as people are insane enough to make topics this forum, and as long there are people insane enough to post in them, this site will continue.

As for Bionicle, it's a matter of return on investment. How much is Bionicle profitable for the company, how much will they invest, how much do they get back?

After all that, I'm finally starting to feel that Bionicle has a limit to its potential - while in previous times like in 2005, and 2006 Bionicle's potential felt unlimited like an unstoppable runaway train, these days it's so limited. Constrained. Cut down to size. Almost as if it was too big for itself before, but now it's so...small. Cue the inevitable statement that a bunch of other themes are more popular, whereas Bionicle is now niche and an oddball in the face of the mainstream system stuff. Overshadowed. 

And eventually someone at Lego is going to say that the System themes get more ROI than Technic/Constraction/Bionicle. That person will probably be an accountant. And right now Lego is mega-hugely-successful, so anyone who says that will be brushed off (eh, they give us some ROI, and it's better than the ROI of a bank or over-saturating the System markets). But should lean times come again, I think contraction might be on the chopping block. 

It's possible that Bionicle or the CCBS system could change to have mainstream appeal once again, or maybe their will be something that changes the mainstream to like CCBS. Maybe they will get tired of System and want something different again. But if it doesn't get there again, I think it will eventually be abandoned. 

*cue ominous music here*

I seriously doubt constraction as a category is EVER going to just go away. Despite being niche, constraction is consistently successful and nets Lego plenty of customers who might not otherwise consider their products. And it serves as a much-needed "gateway drug" to larger and more complex Technic sets.

On top of that, expecting "lean times" to prompt Lego to consider axing constraction ignores the fact that constraction was integral to getting Lego through "lean times" the last time around. And I doubt Lego would be rushing to get rid of a 15-year-old product category just to save a little money—doing the same with Duplo and Technic in the early 2000's was considered a colossal mistake and the two themes were quickly restored.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

BZP shrunk considerably during the gap between G1 and G2, but I think it could have survived for a few more years at the rate it was at. Members left, but the group that stayed behind was committed to sticking with the site until the bitter end. I would expect the same between generations of the line from here on out.

I think there would have to be a prolonged gap between successive generations—more than five years—for BZP to be in serious, serious trouble as a site.

• Upvote 2

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

BIONICLE will never end fully, whether TLG knew it at the time, or even know it now, it was made to live forever, and so, it will, no matter how many building systems it sees used, no matter how many reboots it takes, BIONICLE will be here long enough to see those who were born in its earliest of days grow up with it, and in the gaps between the reboots, if ever need be more, BIONICLE will live on in constraction until it comes back once more, just as it had the first time around. And as there will always be a need for LEGO, there will always be a need for constraction, and so long as there is constraction, BIONICLE lives, and so long as BIONICLE lives on, so will BZPower.

BIONICLE will never end fully, whether TLG knew it at the time, or even know it now, it was made to live forever, and so, it will, no matter how many building systems it sees used, no matter how many reboots it takes, BIONICLE will be here long enough to see those who were born in its earliest of days grow up with it, and in the gaps between the reboots, if ever need be more, BIONICLE will live on in constraction until it comes back once more, just as it had the first time around. And as there will always be a need for LEGO, there will always be a need for constraction, and so long as there is constraction, BIONICLE lives, and so long as BIONICLE lives on, so will BZPower.

That is optimistic as all out.

Bionicle will most likely end one day, when LEGO has found a better storyline to work with or a better toy line. The whole action figure bit thing probably won't go away, but it will change into something else. I don't foresee Bionicle staying around until 2055, and if it does, I'll eat my hat.

For this forum? I've been on many sites, and I have seen many sites degrade, implode, and some that collapsed only to be brought back. The same thing applies to them all: The manner of the forum leadership to keep interest up is key. When the moderators and the admins don't care any more, neither will the members. It'll fall apart.

I have not been here long enough to pass judgement on the moderators and admins of this site. But I have seen it happen before.

BIONICLE will only truly end when LEGO does, but BZP will only end when the community is no more, the bills have not been paid, and finally when the last premiere admin meets the end of their life. But LEGO may, never end truly, same as BIONICLE. Because as long as the flame of we, the fans, the theme, and the toy still burn, BIONICLE, and LEGO in general will never truly end. That is of course if these memories are passed on through the Generations via stories from the parents who where and are fans of this beloved Legend, and company that made it, LEGO BIONICLE.

What we may think of as Immortal and endless, do truly have an end, though be it far beyond that of what we can easily grasp. Because true immorality and endlessness is infinite, and infinity can't be grasped by man alone. Or man at all.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

R.I.P BZPower

2001-2015

"If only I paid the bills." -B6

(In all seriousness, the site will probably drop in activity after bionicle ends, but TTV will be keeping the community alive.)

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I think one important thing to note, as well, is that now that Lego has revived Bionicle once, in the case of its inevitable cancellation in the future, they could do so again. While before we were all waiting for something a little unprecedented, it might now be something more of an expectation; more along the lines of "we don't know when it will happen, but Bionicle will come back eventually". This might help BZPower's activity to remain somewhat higher than the last time in the event of there not being a new Bionicle line to discuss.

So basically I don't foresee the sight dying anytime soon. We have until at least 2017 with the reboot, and I don't think it's unfair to expect that it could last five to seven years beyond that (even if it would shrink in that time).

The universe is some fourteen billion odd years old, most of that time BZP did not exist.

So it probably won't exist for most of the rest of time.

I don't think that that's what they meant when they said it would last forever. 

bZpOwEr

The atmosphere in this topic suddenly became extremely heavy...

• Upvote 2

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

R.I.P BZPower

2001-2015

"If only I paid the bills." -B6

(In all seriousness, the site will probably drop in activity after bionicle ends, but TTV will be keeping the community alive.)

I'd hope that someone would keep it alive, though be it not TTV. However if it them so be it, I'd just hope that they don't turn it into their own little abomination, and even if that where to happen (which it probably wouldn't in the long run), I'm sure the rest of the community would have grown enough to unite to form their own community centers.

I've never liked the concept of "a nuclear powerhouse" so having multiple communty sites would be the best.

• Upvote 1

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

• 1 month later...

This site has seen me grow. I have been here almost ten years. I have gone from a naive kid to being engaged and settling down, moving from home on a whim and making the best decision of my life. This site too has changed like all things do.

That being said, this is a hackneyed topic to play on. I've been through MANY "When will this die? This should just die already" phases and all the times people have said that they've written their words down on a neat little piece of paper and eaten their words. This site is based mostly n community but more than that it is based on community of management. The administrators of this site are the people who keep it alive.

As long as staff maintains quality, BZP will live on. Bionicle might fold in but BZP won't.

• Upvote 1

Bionicle will end when its sales decline and Lego find they would make more profit pursuing other themes. I personally hope that won't be anytime soon, but it I suppose that only time will tell. We know it'll last until at least the end of 2017, and from there only Lego knows. 

Long after Bionicle kicks the bucket for the second time, BZPower will continue on regardless of whatever slippage in quality or activity it suffers. It can act as a general Lego forum as long as it likes, until the day the administrators decide it would be more feasible to let it die quietly. 

• Upvote 1

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Oh ill be here till the end i mean i waited 7 months to join and since it survived gen 1 im sure we can survive gen 2 tho im sure after probably after 4-5 years after gen 2 things will slow to a snail pace or stop. But here's to a healthy enjoyable BZP for years to come

one day this will contain greatness only the best. But take this with the ocean of salt then you will know what to expect from this

I think I'll probably leave whenever bionicle ends and I have nothing left to talk about. BZP itself will take a while to die. A good example of something that's survived over the years is team fortress classic. That game has less then one hundred people playing yet I can still find a couple active servers. And with something as big and expansive as bionicle hardcore fans will continue to expand upon it for many years to come. I believe that only when lego have truly ended the line and the fans have grown older will BZP (and other bionicle fan sites) be shut down. 

It's time to move on.