Bionicle Tv Series?

X-Ray

Hello, hello, it is I, X-Ray. I am here to inquire about what all of you think of the idea of Bionicle being adapted as an animated television show.Imagine each story year adapted to a season of the show. If they could take a cue from the Bionicle: Next Generation people, the potential creators of this hypothetical series could use experience and good judgement to iron out the continuity kinks and nit-picks which have forever plagued the main story of BIONICLE, not to mention trimming down the HUGE supporting cast.It would require a crack team of writers, possibly bringing back Cathy Hapka to work with Greg Farshtey, and possibly that Bob Thompson fellow. And at the risk of sounding melodramatic, perhaps this is a job for... Joss Whedon! Hey, I can dream, can't I? And while we're at it, let's get the folks from Batman: The Animated Series. Anyhow, we would definitely want David Molina back as the director; he was the one who was able to accomplish the sense of mystery and grandeur that the original movie trilogy had. And it would need an animation team on the level of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, but hopefully a much better voice cast. And, beyond any shadow of a doubt, we would want Nathan Fillion on music. Definitely.And, if we're a little lucky, the story could be changed around a bit to include... maybe I shouldn't say it... things which are not normally present in the main story romance among the MU inhabitants. And a slight alteration to the "Toa do not kill ANYBODY" rule. I mean, on the logic that the Toa are superpowered police officers/soldiers, why shouldn't they be allowed to use lethal force when justifiable?This could lead to a whole host of good things, like expanding upon just what the Toa do in their off-time, or the time between the movies and books, and the web serials, not to mention the the handful of fan favorites, such as good ol' Vezon.Other things that I would like them to change in the story would be:* Get the time gaps shortened. I mean, seriously, 1,000 years? Let's take it down to, say, 25.* It would probably be a good idea to tone down the general darkness(/creepiness?) of the later story years. Just saying.It would also be a good a idea to devote a few episodes to developing each individual Toa as they go. As mentioned above, the number of supporting characters should be trimmed. On the other hand, the villains need to be handled... differently. In the story, there are generally one or two big bads and their hordes of minions. This results in more characterization being given to the villains because time doesn't have to be wasted expanding each and every one of the little bad guys, which are usually hordes of mindless Rahi (sympathetic characterization opportunity!), Bohrok (tragic character opportunity!), Rahkshi (might want to spend more time justifying how they totally owned the Toa, i.e. They were used to fighting dumb opponents, hadn't been in a really big fight in a a while, etc), Visorak (ugh), etc. On the other hand, some villains, like say, SIDORAK, should be handled differently to either make the audience love to hate them, or like them for not being hatable (that's not a word).Anyhow, there are tons of unexplored ideas here, and I would like to hear the ideas of my fellow BZP members on them. Please reply! 8)Sincerely, :akaku: X-Ray :akaku:

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."
- Ecclesiastes 4:12

A Bionicle TV show doesn't seem like a good idea. Lego seems to be struggling just to keep Hero Factory decent.

Doesn't seem like a good idea 'cause, who will give money to the project? sounds cool 'cause if you assemble a good team we can have a entire look over the bionicle universe, I lost track after Metru Nui and I didn't have access to most books, but it's important to be a good team as I said, because as X-Ray points there are gaps and holes in the story.

Came for the sets, stayed for the story.

If the money can miraculously be retrieved, then yes, I would like a Bionicle TV show :) That being said, you may want to re-think the romance thing - I remember my reaction as a little kid to Huki and Maku almost kissing in that infamous Flash episode - I almost, er, let go of my lunch.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

If there was a Bionicle TV series, I'm pretty sure that people will start believing that Bionicle has revived.

Yeah. It would be pretty funny to see die hard bionicle fans reactions when they find out that Bionicle hasn't been revived set wise.

A Toa eh? What kind of Toa am I?

Ever wanted to read a manga styled retelling of the early years of Bionicle? Here ya go!

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=1384

No. It'd just be a bad idea - LEGO would get everybody's hopes up about the sets, only to crush everybody about it that they really aren't coming back. Plus, if it were anime-styled? That'd be terrible... >_>

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

*Reads main post* YES YES YES *Reads Repiles* NO NO NO:PSeriously, Bionicle TV series would be great. Having the people from The Batman would be almost TOO good to be true. I would perfer it to be Drawn in the style of batman, rather than CGI. I've always disliked the latter.So anyway, yes. Just yes.

pNNgXax.jpg

I've always loved the idea of a Bionicle TV series. To me, it seems like the story would fit perfectly, especially since a lot of it was released episodically. With a TV series, we could also spend time developing each toa. The years could fit easily as seasons, and good voice actors could (and should) be found. Would need Nathan Furst music and good CGI, though, for me to watch it.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

If they could get the opening funding, I think they would do well withe a Bionicle TV series. Everyone on BZP would watch it, not to mention those who never found BZP and like Bionicle, or those who see it and think it might be interesting.I wouldn't really want to mess around with the canon. Rather, I would like to have it do what the serials do. In my imagination, a new line of Bionicle sets with brand new pieces would be released. Instead of having a bunch of extremely expensive sets and then some inexpensive sets that all look the same in build, it would be cool to see, like, 13 dramatically different sets, with only a few (2-5) good guys and bad guys and no remakes of characters who already have three or four sets.I'm sure if they released de-mutated Karzahni and Barraki sets people would leap for them. I imagine some 10" tall Pridak set with a large bar of plastic attacked to a cloth cloak that would come with it. If they sold a really awesome looking Barraki set, well.... I would buy it.A video game with its own story set on the Southern or Northern continent or something would be pretty cool, two. People could take it as canon, because nothing would conflict with it. Would be incredibly awesome.They could start of comic books in this scenario as well, if they though it appropriate to the setting.I would home in a TV series created they wouldn't make it like in The Legend Reborn where they look like robots. I mean, honestly they should have been more organic in that movie than the other three. And I would like to see it in reasonably good CGI. Or at least like the Avengers cartoon that recently started - that would look even better for things like elemental powers.Scratch that. No CGI at all, just that.Now, if instead of doing this - selling toys and having a TV series, which would both make money and add support to each other - they just had a TV series that was based off the old books, it would be good because -* We could have nonstalgia.* They wouldn't have to spend as much time on the storyboard.But it would be bad because -* It would stress people out.* The rest of the story wouldn't be furthered.The romance idea... maybe a little between the older characters.I would like to see it more violent. Maybe have "Episode 3: Broken Oath" in which the main characters of the series (maybe Chiara, Orde, and other newer characters) are forced to break the toa code in order to save people, and eventually most of the toa stop following it.TV PG would do well - the old Transformers movie from 1986 killed most of the cast, had some minor swearing (not necessary for a Bionicle series), and probably scarred all of the children in that time period for life in killing Optimus Prime.As mentioned above, it would be easier to develop villains here so their personality sticks more.That's what I have to say on this.I would entirely support this idea.-Toa Levacius Zehvor :flagusa:

"I disapprove of what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

- Evelyn Beatrice Hall (often attributed to Voltaire)

I've always loved the idea of a Bionicle TV series. To me, it seems like the story would fit perfectly, especially since a lot of it was released episodically. With a TV series, we could also spend time developing each toa. The years could fit easily as seasons, and good voice actors could (and should) be found. Would need Nathan Furst music and good CGI, though, for me to watch it.-don't touch my pocket protector

Yeah. Let's not do this without Nathan Furst...

Personally, while I like Nathan Furst's music, I don't think it would be quite right for a BIONICLE TV series. While his music was very epic, it did not have that electronic/tribal mix that characterized BIONICLE's early music, such as in the BIONICLE Power Pack or the Mata Nui Online Game. I think if a BIONICLE TV series were to happen, it would be best to bring in new musical talent to write a brand-new soundtrack that really captures the spirit of BIONICLE.

Personally, while I like Nathan Furst's music, I don't think it would be quite right for a BIONICLE TV series. While his music was very epic, it did not have that electronic/tribal mix that characterized BIONICLE's early music, such as in the BIONICLE Power Pack or the Mata Nui Online Game. I think if a BIONICLE TV series were to happen, it would be best to bring in new musical talent to write a brand-new soundtrack that really captures the spirit of BIONICLE.
Maybe Danny Elfman?

Ever wanted to read a manga styled retelling of the early years of Bionicle? Here ya go!

If the money can miraculously be retrieved, then yes, I would like a Bionicle TV show :) That being said, you may want to re-think the romance thing - I remember my reaction as a little kid to Huki and Maku almost kissing in that infamous Flash episode - I almost, er, let go of my lunch.

Okay, maybe that particular idea wasn't a very good one...As for the music, Templar Studios are the fellows behind the original music from the Mata Nui Online Game, so maybe they could (theoretically) help? Nathan Furst though... :akaku: X-Ray :akaku: Edited by X-Ray

"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken."

I would support it, as long as it was made by the animators of TLR. But, unfortunately, it isn't going to happen. Lego probably won't be reviving the series for a long time, if ever. If it were to be brought back, kids would seek after discontinued sets that are not only impossible to find on store shelves, but also extremely difficult to find online because so many people are becoming completionists (myself included). Plus, if Lego is having a difficult time keeping Hero Factory alive, what makes you think they'll be able to put the money into a TV show for a discontinued set line?

*Insert some sort of banner or photograph here*

Well, think about it like this: If the Star Trek fans back in the day hadn't clamored for the show's return, then I don't suppose they'd have what they eventually got (granted, the latest movie may have ret-conned everything, but that's a whole different ballgame). Not only that, but according to good ol' GregF, TLG is still carrying Bionicle around "in their back pocket," as I believe he put it, meaning that TLG hasn't totally given up on Bionicle.To put it simply, if we hang in there, it could happen.:akaku: X-Ray :akaku:

Edited by X-Ray

If the show was high-quality and brought in decent enough ratings, LEGO would be in a very good spot; they'd have a full "media franchise" going, not unlike Ninjago (which I'm given to understand is quite popular). Comics, movies, and one-off specials are all well and good, but TV series can really keep market interest alive.Of course, all this is rather a pipe dream; I doubt LEGO would want to risk investing in such a big move for a series that, it must be kept in mind, they ultimately cancelled (though having the story be told as a TV series would do much to avoid the "too much story, too little media" problem).

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Aw YEA! That would be awesome! However its already becoming a web series. So far one legit and currently running is BIONICLE: Rebirth Chronicles, which is in an anime style. I'm currently working with my friend on my project BIONICLE Animated. Check my page for more info. Anyway, getting back to the topic, this would be an amazing idea! Ninjago is great because the theme is made by Greg F. himself! Ergo BIONICLE as a tv show would be awesome! It would be better as an animation than CGI, like My Little Pony (Yup I'm a brony.) or like Ben 10 or Generator Rex."I've never been this excited in my intire life! Except for the time I went *GASP*!!!!,"-Pinkie pie

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

Lets put it this way, i support this idea and a bionicle anime, as long as they focus on the books story and keep them from looking exactly like the sets like they do in the comics and movies, and none of that CGI stuff, in fact i would strongly support it, its a better idea then bringing back the sets, make it a little more mature, for the older fans, bionicle has a great story, it just needs to be put into a form everyone can see and understand, i love the books, but how many remember bionicle for its story rather then its toys? leave the toys to hero factory, bionicle and its story belong to those who enjoy it truly, the toys may have based the story but the story has grown past the toys, i say we forget about that and take it up a notch, if someone could ever muster the money....

All hail the empire that runs the universe! the toa empire is a bionicle fan club on xbox live, we run contests, play games and have fun. for the will of mata nui is to keep bionicle alive. forget hero factory, thats something to keep the next generation appeased, bionicle was ours,so let us embrace it, and toa supremacy.

join us on our conquest of the known universes as we make lego see the mistake of giving up on bionicle! (we do have cookies! ^_^)

Lets put it this way, i support this idea and a bionicle anime, as long as they focus on the books story and keep them from looking exactly like the sets like they do in the comics and movies, and none of that CGI stuff, in fact i would strongly support it, its a better idea then bringing back the sets, make it a little more mature, for the older fans, bionicle has a great story, it just needs to be put into a form everyone can see and understand, i love the books, but how many remember bionicle for its story rather then its toys? leave the toys to hero factory, bionicle and its story belong to those who enjoy it truly, the toys may have based the story but the story has grown past the toys, i say we forget about that and take it up a notch, if someone could ever muster the money....

I agree! Though...don't make it too mature. I would prefer for them to be SIMILER to their canon form. No to the point where they looke like the sets, more like their armor is like armor platting and a jump suit. Anime, eh okay but to expected in my opinion.

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

I think that you need to thin of the mainstream people who may of never heard of bionicle. If you did say a "mature" comic series first like hasbro's transfomers comics IDWs doing. Mature, but not over the top. So you can guage people's reactions before a series. Also it should be toy accurate but the could have some leaneance on extras (hands,peg holes).

I have no Signature,

Why?

I'm Avak3, I don't need one.

I think that you need to thin of the mainstream people who may of never heard of bionicle. If you did say a "mature" comic series first like hasbro's transfomers comics IDWs doing. Mature, but not over the top. So you can guage people's reactions before a series. Also it should be toy accurate but the could have some leaneance on extras (hands,peg holes).

A mature series eh? That I'd love to see happen to bionicle. To be fair, it did have some "mature" moments from time to time, but not that many...

My ideas if it was a legit show:-Add some love interest stuff-ACTION!-Cartoon, not CGI, LEGO has overdone that-Awesome voice talent(Like Christipher Lloyd and Haley Joel Osment)-put it on something like Cartoon Network or The Hub or the SciFy channel-propebly make for like 12 and up-FREAKING AWESOME MONSTERS! (Idk why, but I love to draw monsters that are epic and horrifying)

In 2001 this would have been a good idea, but it's 2011 almost 2012, it's time for Hero Sactory to shine. Altho I'm not against the idea od some sort of cross over, or HF being related to Bionicle in some way.

At some point you realize that you are but a speck in the Universe.

That you time in this worlds is but a blink.

You see the whole of reality as it unfolds before you.

You try to see how far you can reach, and it’s not that far past your face.

But then you come back from the brink.

You hold them in your arms again.

And you know that you are where their world begins.

You are their rock.

In 2001 this would have been a good idea, but it's 2011 almost 2012, it's time for Hero Sactory to shine. Altho I'm not against the idea od some sort of cross over, or HF being related to Bionicle in some way.

That... might be a little tricky to pull off. And if done wrong, it could seriously mess up Bionicle continuity. But then again, I guess, if it were done right, it might lead to a spin-off series for Bionicle...

I personally love the idea, just not the cannonical changes X-ray suggests(that stuff will not draw back old fans as well as new ones.) The problem is that Lego may take a number of years before they revive Bionicle, so we'd most likely need a long time before it happened. I'd personally suggest 3d animation, partly because I would be interested in that as a career, and by the Bionicle comes back, I might be in the posistion to work on such a series. No idea if this would ever actually happen, but I would love to see it.

This is the route I would take if I had to choose between making a movie or a TV series. Bionicle's way of storytelling could, the way I see it, be easier adapted into a regularly broadcast (if still incredibly long and complicated), serialized format, because there's simply too much story, and a good chunk of it isn't really movie-material. Not to mention how fond the story is of reaching back to random earlier plot points or characters and making them important again, which could all be better implemented into a continuous series.But then, one has to notice how intertwined the Bio story has become, and that adapting all those plots from all those different media would be difficult no matter what the intended format is. Even '01 has so many approaches (Takua's POV, Kopaka's iconic introduction from the comics, the novel's way of switching focus between all of the Toa, and their memorable appearances in MNOG), it would be a real challenge to get it all right without leaving out any important or just simply fun or cool events, but also without making it too confusing and muddled.Still, I like the idea, and it would be definitely thrilling to see all those scenes I've been keeping in my mind for several years played out on television screens. I have also been giving thought to the various intros and animated DVD menus, but, eh... that's a bit too far on the obsessive side, I guess?

IF it were to came out, i would only watched if it was in the commercial style - the real sets just in motion, not that movie style animation stuff, that was pretty horrible.

Really? I thought TLR got it right concerning the animation...

• 4 weeks later...

That... might be a little tricky to pull off. And if done wrong, it could seriously mess up Bionicle continuity.But then again, I guess, if it were done right, it might lead to a spin-off series for Bionicle...
I'm not thinking and thing where Tahu and Furno fight Makuta Von Ness together but just something where there is a Bionicle mast somewhere in the back ground or on display in a museum, or the Matoran writing is see some ruins.

You are their rock.

I don't think tying BIONICLE to the Hero Factory story is a good idea at all. For one thing, it would surely confuse a lot of people who want to know exactly what the connection is, even if it's just a meaningless shout-out and not a legitimate connection between the two stories. Second, if TLG wanted to make a meaningful connection between the two stories, it would necessitate writing a super-complex explanation of that connection that would probably just confuse anyone who wasn't previously a BIONICLE fan.If I wanted to see a shout-out to BIONICLE in another LEGO theme, it would probably be something like having a LEGO minifigure wearing a BIONICLE t-shirt or baseball cap. That doesn't interfere with the story for any theme, and would be easy to recognize as just a heartwarming reference and not some confusing crossover between two established story themes.Although Hero Factory's story has a lot more freedom than BIONICLE's in terms of not having to explain things (there has already been a Slizers reference in one of the online games), putting BIONICLE references in the actual TV series seems like a recipe for disaster. A proper BIONICLE TV series is not very likely to appear in the immediate future, but in the very least it would likely tell a story that people could follow, without too many confusing aspects that would not make sense to people without engaging in dialogue with one of the creators, as was sometimes the case with the BIONICLE serials.

I don't think tying BIONICLE to the Hero Factory story is a good idea at all. For one thing, it would surely confuse a lot of people who want to know exactly what the connection is, even if it's just a meaningless shout-out and not a legitimate connection between the two stories. Second, if TLG wanted to make a meaningful connection between the two stories, it would necessitate writing a super-complex explanation of that connection that would probably just confuse anyone who wasn't previously a BIONICLE fan.If I wanted to see a shout-out to BIONICLE in another LEGO theme, it would probably be something like having a LEGO minifigure wearing a BIONICLE t-shirt or baseball cap. That doesn't interfere with the story for any theme, and would be easy to recognize as just a heartwarming reference and not some confusing crossover between two established story themes.Although Hero Factory's story has a lot more freedom than BIONICLE's in terms of not having to explain things (there has already been a Slizers reference in one of the online games), putting BIONICLE references in the actual TV series seems like a recipe for disaster. A proper BIONICLE TV series is not very likely to appear in the immediate future, but in the very least it would likely tell a story that people could follow, without too many confusing aspects that would not make sense to people without engaging in dialogue with one of the creators, as was sometimes the case with the BIONICLE serials.

I like the Bionicle min fig shirt idea that would be cute."Little is known about these masks, but we believe that they were worn by ancient warriors that believed the masks gave them powers."Just because they Hau is there does not mean it need to be a part of the story it's just there winking at Bionicle fans.

You are their rock.

I could see it working over the course of a few seasons, maybe actually being good. Do I see it happening? No.One of the problems is that- first off- Bionicle is basically a dead set line for Lego, and most shows like this would be aimed at getting you to buy a product.Plus the story is so huge, that it would take at least 6 seasons to complete, and I'd doubt it could last that long.Another thing is that Bionicle fans have gotten older, too, and it would be a bit confusing. Fans who were 5-10 back in 2001 are now around 16-21, while some of the newer fans from the 2009-2010 era might also be at that younger age. It would have to be something for all ages, and be able to have a large nostalgia value. I'll somethimes see shows from when I was a kid, and stick around and enjoy it, because it is still enjoyable at my age or has good nostalgia value. There are others that I'll see and say "You need to be seven to enjoy this". A Bionicle show would need to fit into the first category. I do not think that would be too difficult, because with all the source material there is (Comics, Books, Web Serials, Podcasts, etc.), it would be quite hard for them to go wrong in the writing department, unless they completely destroy the Bionicle storyline.My big concern would be the animation, it was good for the movies but I'm not sure how it could hold up for a weekly series. Most CG stuff I see in weekly shows isn't the best (Clone Wars is the exception), but it could turn out good.That is my opinion on this matter.

I could see it working over the course of a few seasons, maybe actually being good. Do I see it happening? No.One of the problems is that- first off- Bionicle is basically a dead set line for Lego, and most shows like this would be aimed at getting you to buy a product.Plus the story is so huge, that it would take at least 6 seasons to complete, and I'd doubt it could last that long.Another thing is that Bionicle fans have gotten older, too, and it would be a bit confusing. Fans who were 5-10 back in 2001 are now around 16-21, while some of the newer fans from the 2009-2010 era might also be at that younger age. It would have to be something for all ages, and be able to have a large nostalgia value. I'll somethimes see shows from when I was a kid, and stick around and enjoy it, because it is still enjoyable at my age or has good nostalgia value. There are others that I'll see and say "You need to be seven to enjoy this". A Bionicle show would need to fit into the first category. I do not think that would be too difficult, because with all the source material there is (Comics, Books, Web Serials, Podcasts, etc.), it would be quite hard for them to go wrong in the writing department, unless they completely destroy the Bionicle storyline.My big concern would be the animation, it was good for the movies but I'm not sure how it could hold up for a weekly series. Most CG stuff I see in weekly shows isn't the best (Clone Wars is the exception), but it could turn out good.That is my opinion on this matter.

Anmation? I think they should do good old flipbook. THey hav overused CGI for their stuff, NINJAGO would be better as an anime, Kai and Cole's voice actors were in Death Note! Point is, BIONICLE as a cartoon show would do better. Much eaisier to make the shapshifting makuta and other villains. It would kinda be like Generator Rex with the good guys looking cartoonish with the villains and monsters looking scary and revolting (minus Roodaka since all villainesses look hot). My point is, if it was an official show, it should be 2d animation, makes things easier.

Well, think about it like this: If the Star Trek fans back in the day hadn't clamored for the show's return, then I don't suppose they'd have what they eventually got (granted, the latest movie may have ret-conned everything, but that's a whole different ballgame). Not only that, but according to good ol' GregF, TLG is still carrying Bionicle around "in their back pocket," as I believe he put it, meaning that TLG hasn't totally given up on Bionicle.To put it simply, if we hang in there, it could happen. :akaku: X-Ray :akaku:

Yay! I hope they do at least SOMETHING with Bionicle.

SpecOperations9.jpg

Feel free to friend me!