Future Reboots

Bonkle

Not really a reboot because we still get things like the Ferrari F40 in Creator every so-often, but I'd like more like that which we saw a lot more of back in the mid-2000s under Racers.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Gosh HOW many Space Themes does Lego have i haven't even heard of Blacktron till NOW.

Oh there's Blacktron, Blacktron 2, M-tron, Futuron, Classic space, UFO, the list goes on.

Yup. Back in the old days of Lego Space, every new "theme" basically just represented a new faction of characters in a larger Lego Space universe. The Classic Space sets obviously were the first, and at the start it wasn't quite clear if they represented one faction or multiple factions—but then came Blacktron (interstellar criminals/spies) and Space Police (who were what they sounded like). Then M-Tron (a salvage/rescue organization with a magnet gimmick), Blacktron II (known at the time as Blacktron Future Generation), Space Police II, Ice Planet 2002 (miners/explorers on an icy frontier planet), Spyrius (more interstellar spies with robots, flying saucers and a very Cold War feel). The last two themes in this "faction-based era" were Unitron (only released in the U.S.) and Exploriens (explorers searching for evidence of extraterrestrial life).

The last two Space themes before the new millennium were UFO and Insectoids, but I don't think I'd consider them a part of that earlier faction-based era simply because they had fewer direct ties to earlier themes or to each other. The idea of each theme representing a distinct faction fell out of favor as Lego restructured their releases to try and have less old product on store shelves each year, which meant that buyers could no longer rely on an older faction being available at the same time as their newer companion factions. Life on Mars was the first real "combined" Space theme with multiple factions, both human and martian. There was a long hiatus in Space themes after that, probably due in no small part to the emphasis on the Star Wars theme during the run of the prequel movies. The next Space theme (the first of the "modern" era) was Mars Mission, which was sort of a darker take on Life on Mars. Then Space Police III, Alien Conquest, Galaxy Squad, and you've pretty much gotten to where we are today.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I'd love to see an Exo-Force reboot, considering that I missed out on it, because I was really little when it was a thing. Plus, it would be really cool to see some more anime-inspired mecha. Bonus points if there's a two-pack of two robots, one large and one small, that combine into one, and they both use drills for weapons. :P

Also, I'd love to see Insectoids make a comeback. I saw some of the sets in an old magazines, and it was love at first sight. XD

• Upvote 1

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to see a comeback of Exo-Force. Maybe in addition to having some traditional Exo-Force-styled designs, we could also have some designs similar to those found in Gundam? Heck, maybe some Gurren Lagann-esque designs if they wanted to go for a Super Robot style instead of a Real Robot style.

Edited by Commander Spencer
  • Upvote 1

You can find most of my stuff on my MOCpages and Flickr accounts.

MOCpages

Flickr

• 1 month later...

I've always wanted Alpha Team to make a return in some form or fashion. I'm honestly not sure how feasible it would be to reboot many of Lego's previous themes, but hey, we can always dream.

-O Knavery

Most vile, O trick of the Empire's basest wit.

A snare, a ruse, a ploy: and we the fools.

What great deception hath been plied today--

O rebels, do you hear? Fie, 'tis a trap! -Admiral Ackbar

• 1 month later...

Who knows if Lego gets close bankruptcy again and maybe they bring the "real" Bionicle back.

Maybe that's the secret sauce for G3. ;)

1. Tank the company. Reboot Bionicle.

2. ???

3. Profit

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

Who knows if Lego gets close bankruptcy again and maybe they bring the "real" Bionicle back.

But what is 'real' Bionicle anyway?

Maybe the real bionicle was the friends we made along the way?

Nah, that game doesn't need a reboot.

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

• 3 weeks later...

Nah I agree, I understand what the marketers are saying with easy to understand conflicts, but I'd like to see a return to more placid, exploration-based sets and designs. Stuff like the City theme often gets, but like, all techowonder futureland-y.

I guess you could kinda do both. Planetary Survey theme with humans/aliens exploring and encountering brick-built alien fauna and capturing/analyzing/observing/whatevering them.

The thing to keep in mind though is that LEGO Space has never been totally placid and exploration-based. Conflict play was a part of the designs from the beginning, even if the designers had to be a bit covert about it to get their designs approved in the age when the LEGO Group's anti-violence policies were so much stricter.

Just wondering what you would think about a new Mars based theme which would basically be combination of both Mars Mission and Life on Mars.

There'd be the human earthling explorers working alongside the peaceful and friendly looking martians. After all, it'd probably be as amazing to meet us as it is for us meeting them! There'd be another faction of martians, but they'd be the green, glowing nasty ones. Each set would have conflict, but also show how though conflict is inevitable when reaching out into the cosmos, so will be progress and the beauty of new life.

I think it's imperative for a new Space theme to show friendly relations between humans and aliens. As much as I love Space Police I always found it so strange and xenophobic that there were no "good guy" aliens (and not enough women either but that's a whole other problem on its own LEGO's been working well on).

And if Space Police IV happened, I'd lose myself in excitement! I dunno where they'd take the police since I found their color scheme and uniform (probably more white, maybe blue) to be absolutely brilliant, but I'd love to see them take on not just Blacktron, but all sorts of other factions! Blacktron could be a larger unified villain faction, but you could also have petty villains and other factions like the Spyrius. And give me alien cops too! (how about some Ugokins!!!)

And of course I'd be remiss if I didn't bring up Exo Force. I'd love to see the theme back, though I wouldn't mind if they changed the story/characters (though this is me speaking as someone who isn't as into the nitty gritty details of the theme like Bionicle). The main thing I wanna see is awesome mechs, an excellent combination of CCBS and bricks.

I really just wanna get a proper Space theme more than anything that really feels like it's part of the unified "world" they had. The wonder and beauty of it seems to be lost. Looking back the world felt big, and the last theme that gave me that was Space Police III.

Edited by Banana Gunz

I feel like Chima, for what a neat idea it was, didn't really get what it should have. A god-awful TV show just doesn't cut it. However, I'd much rather have Knight's Kingdom II and Exo-Force come back. They seemed to have carried themselves with the dignity of Bionicle, and it's a shame that they didn't pay off because they could have led to more great themes.

Rule #1: Always listen to Kek.

Rule #2: If you break rule #1, kindly don't.

Rule #3: EVERYBODY TYPE IN THE CHAT "AVAK IS A STUPID TRIGGER"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'me thinking that another Bionicle reboot won't be possible and that because this reboot failed so miserably that it will deter Lego from rebooting anything else any time soon.

But I would love to see a reboot of Exo-Force or another Bionicle reboot, or maybe a reboot that was really a continuation of Bionicle G1.

My Epic: Ahkmou's Return and My story collection: Takanuva's Travels are my stories so far, look 'em up.