How Did the Matoran of Metru Nui View Teridax?

Carakki

This question is with regards to the Legends of Metru Nui saga, right before the Great Cataclysm. I know that the Makuta were known to the universe - Vakama recognized Teridax's Kraahkan. But how did Vakama know what the Kraahkan looked like? Had Teridax been seen before in Metru Nui (more recently than the 80,000 years since the Matoran Civil War)? What did the Matoran of Metru Nui think Teridax was? Did they know he was in charge of Metru Nui? Was his name (/species) well-known, or did Vakama just happen to know it?

"You and I both know there are a thousand ways I can kill you. And 943 of them hurt."
-Teridax, Time Trap

After the Matoran Civil War, I assumed that Teridax was viewed with a combination of fear, respect, and infamy- he slaughtered a bunch of Matoran, but he did effectively end a war that threatened to end the universe, so he probably got points for that.

In terms of his identity, I kind of assumed that the Makuta were simply called "Makuta" or "the Makuta" by the inhabitants of their regions. The Matoran probably knew of Teridax's presence and his purpose in Metru Nui, but of the workings and politics of the Brotherhood they probably knew nothing.

Edited by Cyrix
  • Upvote 1

[Cyrix]

I doubt he went all that time without at least making some outward appearance of carrying out his role of Makuta of Metru Nui. It would be pretty difficult for them not to be familiar enough with him to recognize him.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I feel like everyone knew of him, because he was the ruler/governor so to speak of Metru Nui. But as for knowing what he actually looks like, I doubt many remember. I bet because of Teridax's ego he had a dramatic entrance when he was the designated Makuta of Metru Nui, but from there he worked more in the shadows. If anyone met him it was Turaga (Dume and previous) and Toa.

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Thanks for the responses!

I think what I'm looking for is what a Metru Nui Matoran would say if some (less informed) being asked "Makuta? Who's that?"

"You and I both know there are a thousand ways I can kill you. And 943 of them hurt."
-Teridax, Time Trap

Thanks for the responses!

I think what I'm looking for is what a Metru Nui Matoran would say if some (less informed) being asked "Makuta? Who's that?"

My thought is that a random Metru Nui Matoran's response might be the same as yours if someone asked you, "Who's the Secretary-General of the United Nations?" The answer would probably be: "Um..."  :blink: "...the guy in charge of some foreign stuff." If Dume were viewed similarly to say a UK Prime Minister, then Makuta would likely be viewed akin to a high-ranking official dealing with stuff far larger than any individual island/region. This help?  :???:

• Upvote 3

My thoughts on this:

Did any of them even know of the Brotherhood of Makuta? I remember Vakama only learning about it in Time Trap (I didn't read it, so I am only going off of Biosector01). Each region had it's own makuta looking over it, so with their ignorance in mind, matoran would probably spread rumors of a dark, almost demonic figure in the shape of a matoran watching over a region and each going by the name The Makuta. There would be different descriptions of what The Makuta looked like (not knowing that there were multiple ones).

Also, to properly supervise their assigned regions the makuta of the region would probably sulk in the shadows and walk around villages (or in Metru-Nui's case the streets and chutes) at night and visit turaga or other region leaders in the night. Matoran would probably see an undead figure (going by Teridax's appearance in MNOG) cloaked in shadow walking past their house through their little round hut windows; and if they could, they would see figure sometimes either simply walk into the turaga's hut or morph through the wooden door panels or a window. Unbeknownst to the matoran or other race that could have seen the unbelievable sight, The Makuta of wherever was talking to the turaga about local matters and just generally checking up on stuff. So with all of that, Vakama probably saw Teridax a couple of times and thought it was just his imagination (you know he already thought he was crazy, what with his visions and whatnot), but as he was in a high ranking spot in Ta-Metru and had personal discussions with Turaga Dume, I wouldn't be surprised if Dume had personally released some info on The Makuta to Vakama, such as his 'name' (not real name) and vaguely describe what his purpose was (maybe even Teridax did that himself after assuming control of Metru-Nui).

After the BoM's public betrayal the local makuta would probably be using the turaga as a proxy to manipulate local affair, else the turaga would face the forceful wrath of a makuta from either stealthy periodic destruction, or public conquest by visorak hordes; they could also do a.private replacement (like Teridax did in Metru-Nui).

Edited by Iaredios Paerkenon

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

I think that if Turaga Dume was the president, The Makuta would be somebody like the Ambassador from the UN. You'd know the position exists and that someone fills it, but you wouldn't know any personal details, up to name and appearance. The Makuta is that guy who does the Makuta stuff. You'd know of him and about him, but shrug if anyone asked anything more specific.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Did any of them even know of the Brotherhood of Makuta? I remember Vakama only learning about it in Time Trap (I didn't read it, so I am only going off of Biosector01). Each region had it's own makuta looking over it, so with their ignorance in mind, matoran would probably spread rumors of a dark, almost demonic figure in the shape of a matoran watching over a region and each going by the name The Makuta. There would be different descriptions of what The Makuta looked like (not knowing that there were multiple ones).

And it's here, many years later, that I finally realize that the "Brotherhood of Makuta" refers to the plural, not the singular (even if the Matoran actually mistook it as singular). 

Time Trap was a great book, btw. Probably one of the best.

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

Well if there was a general knowledge that Makuta were beings of darkness why would the Turaga be hanging out with them in the first place? (Unless they were in a situation like the Toa Hagah and somehow thought it was necessary)

This one I know: it was not general knowledge that the Makuta were beings of darkness until after the Metru Nui saga. Prior to a certain point, the Makuta were just mysterious, rather cruel inventors.

And it's here, many years later, that I finally realize that the "Brotherhood of Makuta" refers to the plural, not the singular (even if the Matoran actually mistook it as singular). 

100% my favorite Bionicle book.

On-topic: So Teridax was like an obscure authority figure to the Matoran of Metru Nui (that Vakama happened to know/recognize)? How do we reconcile that with Teridax's role in the Archives Massacre? Was Teridax just not publicly involved in that incident (instead orchestrating it behind the scenes), or did he remain so inactive afterward that people forgot who he was? I'm not sure how it could be the last one; only damaged Matoran were ever shown to have faulty memories.

-Teridax, Time Trap

Well if there was a general knowledge that Makuta were beings of darkness why would the Turaga be hanging out with them in the first place? (Unless they were in a situation like the Toa Hagah and somehow thought it was necessary)

You ask that as if the turaga would have had a choice. The turaga and other leaders may have been in control over their settlement, but they knew of their place in the world and the heirarchy of power in the Matoran Universe from their times as toa (in the case of turaga). With that in mind and having no reason to question The Makuta's (really the BoM's) loyalty to Mata Nui (Artakha's self-titled realm was already a myth, so their siege on the island would probably be taken as equal of a legend, The Makuta attacking Artakha the Grand Smith) I am sure that they would willingly talked to them.

Think of this as being like in the Wild West of American History, where you are a local mayor or sheriff and the federal government (who claims ownership of the land and protects it from large-scale troubles) sends in someone to talk to the mayor or sheriff to inspect what his happening in their land. Only difference is that no one here knows about the federal government except a few people as it is a shadow government.

This one I know: it was not general knowledge that the Makuta were beings of darkness until after the Metru Nui saga. Prior to a certain point, the Makuta were just mysterious, rather cruel inventors.

100% my favorite Bionicle book.

On-topic: So Teridax was like an obscure authority figure to the Matoran of Metru Nui (that Vakama happened to know/recognize)? How do we reconcile that with Teridax's role in the Archives Massacre? Was Teridax just not publicly involved in that incident (instead orchestrating it behind the scenes), or did he remain so inactive afterward that people forgot who he was? I'm not sure how it could be the last one; only damaged Matoran were ever shown to have faulty memories.

Yeah. Some people would see him every now and then but not know who he is. Teridax had jealousy issues, however, so I am sure that after he cleaned up the Matoran Civil War he shouted from atop a hill of what had transpired under his direction. Barely anyone knew his name, so people would just go like "Hey, it's The Makuta, it/he stopped the war'; or maybe he was prohibited to doing such a thing by Makuta Miserix and rather sulked in the shadows, people only seeing what he had done as he was walking away from the scene. Not sure, so good point on that.

Thanks guys, i'll be sure to get Time Trap eventually. Would you recommend me getting the other Bionicle Adventure books beforehand, or would it be okay to just get that book.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

As long as you have a gist of what happened in the Metru Nui storylines prior to Time Trap, you should be fine. It mentions stuff that happened in previous books -- and only the books -- but there's also a couple of recap lines about that stuff before it becomes relevant, if I remember correctly.

Actually, though, I'm not so sure the Matoran were as in the dark about Makuta and his role as others have said. I remember in the movie, when he revealed himself toward the end, Lhikan shouted that he was "sworn to protect the Matoran." Now I'll grant, a couple other sources confirm Lhikan pretty likely had knowledge about stuff that the general populace of Metru Nui didn't have. We know he regularly talked with Dume during the Toa-Dark Hunter War, and if I remember right, Lhikan was one of the Toa guarding the Makoki Stone before Hakann stole it. Did he know that it contained information about the Brotherhood, though? I can't recall.

Still, since no one else around him seemed to react when he called out Makuta at the Coliseum, I got the impression they had at least a decent idea who he was and what his role was. Additionally, when they found the real Dume in that tunnel not long before, Vakama got a vision about Makuta. When Onewa asked about it, Vakama said something along the lines of, "You don't want to know who's really in control of Metru Nui." Given how Makuta ended the Civil War, sounds to me like his ruthless reputation was still known.

So I'd say the Matoran more or less knew who he was and what he did -- someone of seriously great power that was assigned to protect them, but wasn't a real nice guy. His whole basis for his plan was also that he felt the Brotherhood deserved the respect that Mata Nui received, since they were the ones doing all the work. Maybe how much Matoran knew about the Makuta varied on where they lived and which Makuta watched over them. Maybe Metru Nui was a little more in the dark about it than elsewhere (I got the impression that the Matoran didn't travel outside the city real often). Because when Teridax showed up to put an end to the Barraki's uprising, the narration seemed to give the impression that Makuta -- particularly Teridax -- was a pretty well-known public figure, if not often seen.

rahkshi_symbol.png

So were the Matoran just very used to Teridax not doing his job? I can't find any reference to his participation in the Toa/Dark Hunter war, which really seems like the kind of thing he ought to have been involved in. Did Lhikan never wonder, "I wonder where Teridax is? He's sworn to protect the Matoran!"

-Teridax, Time Trap

Maybe he just found it beneath him. Even if he didn't know the full ramifications of the Civil War at the time (he may have, though), it put Mata Nui's life in danger and he was tasked to putting a stop to it. That may not have been necessarily true with the Toa-Dark Hunter War, since the Dark Hunters wanted to control Metru Nui, not necessarily end what was going on there.

Or he may have simply been busy doing whatever experiments he wanted in the tunnels in the Great Barrier ha.

rahkshi_symbol.png

So were the Matoran just very used to Teridax not doing his job? I can't find any reference to his participation in the Toa/Dark Hunter war, which really seems like the kind of thing he ought to have been involved in. Did Lhikan never wonder, "I wonder where Teridax is? He's sworn to protect the Matoran!"

Given how he "solved" things in the Civil War, I don't think they minded that he stayed out of this one. :P

But in general, I don't think it's that they saw him as not doing his job, but as not doing the Turaga's job, or the Toa's jobs, and they wouldn't expect him to. They would probably only see rare and confusing disputes that the Turaga didn't know how to decide ever go to him, and it probably happened but wasn't noteworthy enough to mention in Greg's timeline or the like.

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I'd also like to point out that Shadow wasn't seen as an immoral element until the Brotherhood went public with their plans. And Metru Nui didn't get news of their betrayal until the Great Cataclysm actually happened, because Teridax secretly cut them off.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water