Trans-Orange Kaukau--Backstory?

Iruini Nuva

Hey all, does anybody know of the origins of the Trans-Orange Kaukau? I recently picked one up and it's got me wondering. I know it isn't considered a true misprint, but of course it also deviates from the usual color pattern. Bricklink prices seem to indicate that it's rarer than the average '01 mask as well.

Anybody know why it made it into fairly broad production? Early attempt at a red one, maybe?

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

To my knowledge,for whatever reason,all the Mata Kaukaus aside from Gali's gold and silver were made in translucent colors,and the orange one was Pohatu's. 

That's correct. I wonder why they didn't do translucent brown or something other than orange. I'm not complaining or anything, but I'm curious...

mindeth the cobwebs

To my knowledge,for whatever reason,all the Mata Kaukaus aside from Gali's gold and silver were made in translucent colors,and the orange one was Pohatu's. 

That's correct. I wonder why they didn't do translucent brown or something other than orange. I'm not complaining or anything, but I'm curious...

Probably because trans brown was already being used for Onua's. The color usually used as "trans black" is actually trans brown, and to my knowledge there's never been any trans color any browner than it. Orange was as close as they could get (and to be fair, orange already was part of the stone palette).

• Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

Probably because trans brown was already being used for Onua's. The color usually used as "trans black" is actually trans brown, and to my knowledge there's never been any trans color any browner than it. Orange was as close as they could get (and to be fair, orange already was part of the stone palette).

Oh, now I get it! I forgot about LEGO's trans brown. I was thinking up another shade of trans brown closer to Mata brown that they could have used. Anyway, the orange was an interesting choice that I have no problem with.

mindeth the cobwebs

Ooh! Somehow I never realized that orange is the color for stone in this case. Total brain fart--I thought it was a seventh color for some reason.

• Upvote 2

Makuta: Consumed By LightRebrick EntryTopic & BackstoryBlog
-----------------
2015 Sets: 18/18 + 3 • Polybags: 1/2 • SDCC x2, NYCC Clear MoF, Trans-MoF
2016 Sets: 17/17 + 6

Forget other masks, it clashes with Pohatu's body color. He's brown, but wears a bright orange mask.

But think about it, of all colors you see translucent versions of, brown is one of the least common. Even of you pour a glass of brown cola, it's still pretty opaque.

• Upvote 1

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water