Will G2 have storyline/canonization contests?

At this point, I don't think it will and I don't think it should. We've still got at least two more years of story content where questions will be answered. Officially, on a broad scale, I highly doubt there ever will be, but a small one involving a writer of Bionicle such as Ryder Windham is possible considering he has a bit of a presence with the community, though it's nothing like what Merlin Mann has.

I actually liked a lot of the canonizations that went on while Greg still had a strong presence in the community. Where the G1 canonizations went overboard was after the story ended and there was no real oversight.

I really wouldn't mind a few canonizations, but it has to be in moderation.

• Upvote 2

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Other than maybe a building contest like the Rahi/Dark Hunter/Piraka Fusion/Makuta contests, I seriously doubt it. The main reason being that people involved with LEGO are no longer allowed to communicate with anyone under 13 unless it's on their own message boards.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

I think there will be a few, but nothing this early on. Like all the big bionicle fan sites were reached out by Lego already a few times for stuff, so they are aware we are here and willing to give feedback. 

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I kind of doubt they would. The initial G1 stuff didn't have polls, as far as I know, and I doubt they'd allow such polls in the initial stages of G2 either. I mean, these are the establishing bits of G2's canon, and I think they'd want to get all this down before getting comfortable enough to do what Greg did with the fandom.

• Upvote 1

wake_up_sheeple.png

What about Ryder Windham or Merlin Mann? Both have been interviewed by fan sites - it's not beyond possibility that they could team up with one or more of them to organize a contest. :shrugs:

Giving interviews and playing a consistently active role in the community are two different things. Like I said before, LEGO doesn't allow its employees to interact with under-13s unless it's on their site, and quite possibly anyone else associated with them, employee or not.

Also consider that Greg was A) obviously passionate about the BIONICLE line, and B) did all fan interaction on his own time.

My friend went to Po-Wahi and all I got was this lousy rock.

logowithbackgrounnd100.png

Blue sea...a Ruki leaps...the sound of water

so long as people don't go totally overboard with it, like after the end of G1, I'd be fine with it

This. Krakua was neat. The things from the Rahi Beasts guide and the Dark Hunters guide were kind of neat. The later things, like deciding what Certavus canonically looked like (Congratulations! Now no one has to ever use their imaginations to visualize this character again!) or the canonization of other minutiae after the story had long since concluded? That's the kind of stuff we could've done without.

• Upvote 6

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

so long as people don't go totally overboard with it, like after the end of G1, I'd be fine with it

This. Krakua was neat. The things from the Rahi Beasts guide and the Dark Hunters guide were kind of neat. The later things, like deciding what Certavus canonically looked like (Congratulations! Now no one has to ever use their imaginations to visualize this character again!) or the canonization of other minutiae after the story had long since concluded? That's the kind of stuff we could've done without.

Agreed. The addition of Krakua was probably my favorite addition from a fan contest as it contributed an entirely new character and was somewhat well advertised among fans. And then there were contests like "Let's decide exactly what Tobduk looks like!" and other weirdly specific things that honestly just bogged down the entire idea of canonization contests.

[Cyrix]

I can see it happening. I don't think we'll see short stories accepted, but I can see building contests. My guess is LEGO will probably try to have at least one through social media, like Twitter or Facebook. That does seem to be the direction LEGO is heading for with G2.

While agree that canonization has gotten out of hand at times, how is Certavus different than Krakua? Your argument could be used against either one.

Remember Artwork III?

It was the best of times.

It was the worst of times.

If I remember correctly, the Krakua contest was advertised in the LEGO Magazine. The Certavus contest was just on BZP and BS01. Therefore, it was a piece of canon from a contest that was only open to our community: a fraction of a fraction of BIONICLE fans.

That, and the whole thing just becomes monotonous after a while. Back in the days of the Rahi and Toa building contests, canonization contests were novel and rare. They became stale over time.

Edited by Lon'qu
  • Upvote 2
How well will you die?

I wouldn't mind them in moderation, I guess. But if it goes overboard (again), then it's just tiring, and IMO also limiting. In general, adding new characters sounds better to me than fixing every minute detail about existing ones.

Edited by Taka Nuvia
  • Upvote 1

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

G1 is so expansive and long, that getting the opportunity to add to the universe is one of my favourite parts about it.

G2 is so new, and so far pretty simplistic. If we were to have these contests they would have to be simple and directed from the story team pretty tighly

which the earliest G1 things were.

G2 being so young could have stuff like "Design a creature that lives in Okoto", but heavy, deep stuff like Memoirs of the Dead or Original characters would have to wait until either the G2 universe is a little bigger, or the story team needs something in particular.

I'd rather keep the new story simple. I also kind of despised a few contests such as the Nikila or Cervatus contest. (Now no one can have a unique interpretation of a character!) 

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Not at this stage. The line is too young to have the fans make up stuff.

Once this series gets itself in full swing and establishes itself strongly, then maybe Lego can think about turning certain things over to the fans. But that was all Greg the first time around. Who knows if there's someone like him on the new story team, who is just as interested in the fans as the fans are of the toy line?

I'd rather keep the new story simple. I also kind of despised a few contests such as the Nikila or Cervatus contest. (Now no one can have a unique interpretation of a character!) 

That's where creativity comes in.

Go to Deviantart or wherever and you'll find countless "reimagined" drawings of characters from all sorts of franchises. People do that here on BZPower. These contests never stifled creativity.

Did people stop writing fanfics once more blanks were filled in by official storyline?

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

Actually, if G2 ever gets to the scale of G1, I would be against canon content creation contests (yay, alliteration) to an even greater degree. Once G1 was so expansive, those "canon" elements could easily be contradicted by GregF, since he even forgot some of the things that he created. It's the same problem that Star Wars had before the EU was turned into Legends. Right now, G2 is small enough that if​ they were to have such a contest, the story team would probably be able to keep anything from contradicting it. If it ever gets to G1 level, the universe would be so large that those stories would forever be in a semi-canon limbo.

• Upvote 1
How well will you die?