OFFICIAL 2016 Bionicle Topic

Makaru

So at the panel we also got a sneak peek at next year's Kopaka. We weren't allowed to take pics, but a neat feature is that his mask (and presumably the rest of the Toa's as well) has his Nuva symbol molded into it. It also uses a 1x1 round stud as the lens for his eyepiece.

Ehhh, I'm not sure I like that. It means some of the masks will be asymmetrical. (Although luckily Lewa's mask, which is my favorite going by these pictures, likely won't be.)

I like that they're releasing non-humanoid small sets.

We don't know WHERE specifically it's molded on all the masks. On Kopaka it's above his left brow, but that might just be because his mask is ALREADY asymmetrical thanks to his eyepiece. If it's centered on the others, then what asymmetricality there was would be limited to a tiny, perfectly square insignia on each of the masks—hardly something to get bent out of shape over.

Oh, sure, it's not a big deal.

(Thanks for removing stuff I made up, Wind.)

Tahu looks weird with a silver forehead, who was the set designer that chose to give him that?

Considering Kopaka has one on his default mask as well, I assume that's the case for ALL of next year's Toa. Kopaka also has another mask that's gold blended with Trans. Light Blue for the forehead—chances are the other Toa will have those, as well (like how this year's Toa all featured a default mask and a golden mask to collect).

It's not like the silver is that obtrusive—it's an accent color, one that's not totally unlike how the original Toa Nuva's masks looked when they were depowered by the Bohrok Kal in the comics and webisodes (though we never got those mask designs in sets).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Actually, we did. The Kanohi Nuva/Krana-kal packs could also contain silver versions of the nuva masks, representing the power drained version. I have a silver kanohi miru.

Right, but I'm pretty sure Lyichir meant the version of the drained masks that was shown in the comics specifically, half colored and half silver.

• Upvote 3

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Personally I find the almost-symmetry brought by the Nuva symbols more bothersome than just an asymmetrical design.  Kopaka's mask makes sense because its iconic design has the big scopes on one side, so the asymmetry is part of the design.  Other masks, though, have usually been designed to be symmetrical, so the fact that they'll have some little detail throwing that off is a bit annoying.  It's like they're so close to it, but nope.

Not really important, because I'll probably be all excited about the designs anyway, but still, arrrrgh.

• Upvote 2

OpAXNpl.jpg

How are we allowed to talk about the 2016 sets? Weren't all the images/names leaked?

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

How are we allowed to talk about the 2016 sets? Weren't all the images/names leaked?

There's a lego club magazine with two pages dedicated to bionicle. That makes it okay to talk about and Lyichr said he was allowed to reveal a few things about the new sets. Also, Windrider removed a lot of stuff I made up [...]

Edit: Reposting, however briefly, things I deleted is not a good idea. You need to follow the leak policy; don't do this again.

-Wind-

Edited by Arnold Schwarzenegger
  • Upvote 1

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

[...] Ikir is a bird [...] and Melum is a white Terak. No, those aren't leaks considering that they can clearly be seen in the background teaser poster in official LEGO released videos. We were meant to see them, and LEGO hasn't deemed talk about the poster unacceptable.

Edit: Please see below.

-Wind-

Edited by -Windrider-

We've seen a low quality poster(The High quality is a leak), which doesn't help much Creature-wise, and Lego hasn't announced the names of CoJ, CoE, CoW, or CoS.

All we know from Lego is Ikir(From Lego Magazine), and Melum(From the Brickfair Presentation).

Edited by Dark_Samus

OK, fair enough. It's not a leak if Aanchir and Lyichir say so. 

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

We unfortunately won't be getting animations again. Instead we are getting a netflix series, which, as far as we know, will be 3D animated.

How do we know that? We could be getting both.

It's implied through this tweet by the screenwriter of the animations, Merlin Mann, that he'll be no longer writing for Bionicle. From there, one can assume that the animations won't be continuing. 

Also, he gives a reply in the comments regarding the fact that the battle with Skull Basher was meant to be a whole episode, but was shortened due to time-consumption.

We unfortunately won't be getting animations again. Instead we are getting a netflix series, which, as far as we know, will be 3D animated.

How do we know that? We could be getting both.

It's implied through this tweet by the screenwriter of the animations, Merlin Mann, that he'll be no longer writing for Bionicle. From there, one can assume that the animations won't be continuing. 

Also, he gives a reply in the comments regarding the fact that the battle with Skull Basher was meant to be a whole episode, but was shortened due to time-consumption.

He said he won't be writing. It's not too unlikely that someone else will be. Granted, we don't know if the possible replacement would be better or worse. 

If the replacement proves better than Greg and actually builds up the island of Okoto, something that the current team is neglecting, then I'm going to buy multiple copies of every set to support lego.

• Upvote 2

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

I think the animations are too short to really build up Okoto in any meaningful way, but hopefully the Netflix show, books and graphic novels will make up for this. I'm a bit worried about the Netflix animation, however. Do we know how long it will be? Because it may just retread the story of 2015, without going into 2016, which would be disappointing. 

(Also, talking about these sets is like walking through a mine-field...)

tumblr_n2r10eoieo1qz8x31o1_400.gif?w=720

Blog: toatalireviews.com

I think the animations are too short to really build up Okoto in any meaningful way, but hopefully the Netflix show, books and graphic novels will make up for this. I'm a bit worried about the Netflix animation, however. Do we know how long it will be? Because it may just retread the story of 2015, without going into 2016, which would be disappointing. 

(Also, talking about these sets is like walking through a mine-field...)

The Netflix animations will definitely cover 2016—there's hardly any point in releasing them at all if they don't cover current sets.

We don't know anything about length, just that there will be four episodes. Which means that, at worst, it might be an hour worth of content (four 15-minute episodes, like the debut Hero Factory and Ninjago specials), but that it could just as easily run two hours or longer.

I hope they bring back Mata green instead of bright green for Lewa.

Personally, I much prefer Bright Green. In general I'm quite happy with the primary colors of the 2015 Toa and don't wish for them to change. I'm open to the possibility of new secondary colors, but I feel like the colors of the 2015 Toa and Protector masks look very good together, possibly better than the colors of the 2001 Toa masks did.

I hope they bring back Mata green instead of bright green for Lewa.

Personally, I much prefer Bright Green. In general I'm quite happy with the primary colors of the 2015 Toa and don't wish for them to change. I'm open to the possibility of new secondary colors, but I feel like the colors of the 2015 Toa and Protector masks look very good together, possibly better than the colors of the 2001 Toa masks did.

While Lewa looks nice with it and it's a pretty nice color and it's nice that they're using the color in a set people are actually going to buy, (coughcoughGreenLantercough :P ) I would really like it if they brought back the Mata green. It'd be nice to have new parts in the color, cause, you know, the only constraction parts in that color come from before 2004...

That being said, if he's Mata green next year, I'm totally going to try to get him. :P

• Upvote 1

"All magic comes with a price, dearie!" -The Dark One

I'm known on the LMB's as Brickobotface, Teh Dark One is merely a fad. :P

I wont mention any leaked image sources or post them.(they have a confidential stamp on them) Even the blurred poster proves it But i can confirm that Lewa will have "green lantern green". I think lego has restricted the usage of the old " mata bright green" to system and duplo based sets. Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---

qs3135.jpg

I wont mention any leaked image sources or post them.(they have a confidential stamp on them) Even the blurred poster proves it But i can confirm that Lewa will have "green lantern green". I think lego has restricted the usage of the old " mata bright green" to system and duplo based sets.

Dark Green (Mata green) definitely isn't restricted to any specific themes. That's just not something Lego does (outside of rare instances like Maersk Blue, which are a thing of the past). The 2013 Technic Service Truck, which is still available, uses Dark Green. Few other Technic sets in the past few years have, but then again, you can usually count the number of green Technic or Constraction sets that come out each year on two hands.

I don't know any specific reasoning for why Lego started using Bright Green ("Green Lantern green"), but there are plenty of valid possibilities. Maybe they wanted a color that would be a better match for Trans. Bright Green (the color used in all the Jungle-aligned sets). Maybe they wanted a single color that was midway between Lewa's Dark Green and his Bright Yellowish Green. Maybe the Bright Green color just tested well with kids, or maybe Lego just thought it was time to try something new. In any case, the idea that one of Lego's oldest and most common colors has been "restricted" from being used in Technic or Constraction is a heck of an assumption to make with hardly any evidence.

Edited by Lyichir

I wont mention any leaked image sources or post them.(they have a confidential stamp on them) Even the blurred poster proves it But i can confirm that Lewa will have "green lantern green". I think lego has restricted the usage of the old " mata bright green" to system and duplo based sets.

Dark Green (Mata green) definitely isn't restricted to any specific themes. That's just not something Lego does (outside of rare instances like Maersk Blue, which are a thing of the past). The 2013 Technic Service Truck, which is still available, uses Dark Green. Few other Technic sets in the past few years have, but then again, you can usually count the number of green Technic or Constraction sets that come out each year on two hands.

I don't know any specific reasoning for why Lego started using Bright Green ("Green Lantern green"), but there are plenty of valid possibilities. Maybe they wanted a color that would be a better match for Trans. Bright Green (the color used in all the Jungle-aligned sets). Maybe they wanted a single color that was midway between Lewa's Dark Green and his Bright Yellowish Green. Maybe the Bright Green color just tested well with kids, or maybe Lego just thought it was time to try something new. In any case, the idea that one of Lego's oldest and most common colors has been "restricted" from being used in Technic or Constraction is a heck of an assumption to make with hardly any evidence.

Maybe "restricted" was a bit harsh choice for words but i still doubt mata green will return in bionicle 

qs3135.jpg

Maybe "restricted" was a bit harsh choice for words but i still doubt mata green will return in bionicle 

Maybe not. At the very least, I don't see it replacing Bright Green as the main Jungle color in the near future, since they likely picked that color over alternatives like Bright Yellowish Green and Dark Green for a reason (even if we don't know specifically what that reason might be).

But a color not appearing in a theme for a few years isn't reason to assume it'll never appear again. Look at some of the colors used for this year's figures. Brick Yellow (Tan) had hardly appeared outside of colored pins since 2009, but it made a huge comeback with the Star Wars figures. Sand Blue similarly appeared in Jango Fett after not appearing in Constraction since Vezok in 2006. In Bionicle, the Earth Blue Skull Spider was the first constraction part in that color since Ben 10, Dark Orange hadn't appeared in constraction since Pewku and the Gukko in 2003, Dark Azur and Spring Yellowish Green were completely new to constraction, and even Bright Green itself hadn't been used in constraction since 2012.

The takeaway from all this is that Lego isn't going to arbitrarily decide that a certain color is off-limits for a specific theme or group of themes. If Lego decides that a certain color would make a better impression for a new part, and that color has not been retired, they won't hesitate to use the color they deem best for the situation.

• Upvote 1

I thought Dark Green appeared on Chi Cragger, but that could have been Metru Green, not Mata Green. 

In any case, I think darker green is still a thing. 

Yeah, both versions of CHI Cragger used Metru Green (Earth Green). It's kind of confusing because the Bricklink name for Earth Green is Dark Green. But the official LEGO name Dark Green refers to Mata Green (which Bricklink just calls "green").

The last time Mata Green / Dark Green (TLG) /"Green" (BL) showed up in a constraction set was the head and Hero Core of Nex 3.0. But it's been in Technic sets as recently as last year (http://brickset.com/sets/42030-1/Volvo-L350F-Wheel-Loader).

Edited by Aanchir

I mean, I don't dislike bright green, I just like dark green more. Compatibility with older parts being a plus.

I was intending on sitting Bionicle out for the reboot, but I might buy one of these. Considering Lewa, Gali or Uxar.

At least they got rid of the bright yellow and keetorange (from what can be seen, at least). The combination of bright orange and dark azur is awesome, though. I'm somewhat surprised I haven't seen it until now. And the new blade piece looks marvellous.

One thing that bothers me is the use of all those joint extender pieces. Why? Can't they just use a longer limb piece? It'd be less fragile.

Edited by abstractAgamid

One thing that bothers me is the use of all those joint extender pieces. Why? Can't they just use a longer limb piece? It'd be less fragile.

You might want to edit your post, because you're coming dangerously close to discussing aspects of the sets we haven't really seen outside of leaks.

Anyway, I don't know what you mean by "fragile". The point of the friction extenders is to make the figure more stable, and they're a pretty secure fit. I don't like the friction extenders on the ankles either (they make the ankles themselves look awkwardly tall), but I reckon they're probably meant to help keep the figures stable when using the gear functions, since the new gear functions move a much greater proportion of the figures' weight around (rotating the entire upper body, rather than just the arms).

You might want to edit your post, because you're coming dangerously close to discussing aspects of the sets we haven't really seen outside of leaks.

Anyway, I don't know what you mean by "fragile". The point of the friction extenders is to make the figure more stable, and they're a pretty secure fit. I don't like the friction extenders on the ankles either (they make the ankles themselves look awkwardly tall), but I reckon they're probably meant to help keep the figures stable when using the gear functions, since the new gear functions move a much greater proportion of the figures' weight around (rotating the entire upper body, rather than just the arms).

Eh, I could just say that the use of those pieces bothers me in general.

Don't they tend to cause the limb attached to them to detach more easily, because of the difference in friction?

Edited by abstractAgamid

Depends on how you handle it.  They do pop off more easily, but that can be fixed more immediately as you're already handling the toy; the friction joints are there to prevent the sets from keeling over under their own weight, replacing the piston system from previous years.

OpAXNpl.jpg

On the one hand, I'd love some metru green ccbs shells to add to my mega-MoC. On the other, I like the way Lewa Uniter looks... Conundrum.

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

Taking a look at the LEGO Cache images in front page, looks like the Nuva symbols are back and are featured on the designs. Mah gawd.

To clarify: Look at the chests of the Toa. Use the "Alt 4" image to see a clear front look of them.

Edited by Night Terror

"Dream, not of what you are, but of what you want to be."

Credit to Surreality for the banner, and to bonesiii, Black Six and Binkmeister for the Proto Boosts!

Just saw Bzpowers report on the images

Kopaka's color scheme is odd to me, why is he using two dark metru blue armor shells on his arms when they are the only 2 ones on him with the exception of chest armor as well.

Lewa really need more accent colors. There's way too much silver on him, even trans yellow pieces (as a alternative to his 2015 keetongu orange) would greatly help.

Edit: I just have to add this picture here, what in darn blazes is lego thinking with randomly creating yellow 3 length pins? I knew light gray was a good strategy in 2003-2004 and onwards but now a prototype variety of yellow pins being used for pins in leg building sticking out like bruises!

I dont like their strategy one bit, these pins look like something mega blocks would do.

http://cache.lego.com/r/dynamic/is/image/LEGO/71305_alt3?op_sharpen=0&resmode=sharp4&wid=4000&fit=constrain,1&fmt=png-alpha

Edited by ---Kopaka Nuva---

qs3135.jpg