OFFICIAL 2016 Bionicle Topic

Makaru

Anyone know how the cape polybag is being distributed?

Apparently it's available now.

I've heard that it's only been distributed in Russia and Eastern Europe, like last year's Gold Skull Mask polybag. No word yet if that'll remain the case, but since there's been no news about an American release it might be safer to order one from overseas if you really want one.

Personally, I'm on the fence. I bought the Gold Skull Mask last year because it was the only 2015 mask I didn't have, and it was cheap enough to be worth it to have a complete collection. But this one doesn't even have an exclusive mask, and while I'd gladly get multiples of it just for the textile element if it were available over here like the Mask of Fire polybag from last year, I'm not so sure if it's worth importing for me.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Anyone know how the cape polybag is being distributed?

Apparently it's available now.

I've heard that it's only been distributed in Russia and Eastern Europe

I'll be keeping an eye out for it, then!

:kakama:

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Here is the Netflix Bionicle TV show trailer for those interested. 

I like Lewa and Kopaka's voices. I don't know if I like Umarak's voice yet though. I always imagined it to be a little deeper than it is shown here. But maybe it will grow on me as time goes on.

Not a fan of high pitched villain voices. Reminds me of Starscream from Transformers, but then he was just a subordinate sidekick. The main villain should sound menacing, not silly.

Here is the Netflix Bionicle TV show trailer for those interested. 

I like Lewa and Kopaka's voices. I don't know if I like Umarak's voice yet though. I always imagined it to be a little deeper than it is shown here. But maybe it will grow on me as time goes on.

Not a fan of high pitched villain voices. Reminds me of Starscream from Transformers, but then he was just a subordinate sidekick. The main villain should sound menacing, not silly.

Yeah, personally I had hoped that for Umarak the hunter they would have a darker voice that would give him a more hunter esk vibe. Something that would make the toa fear him when hunted, or at least be weary when they hear his voice from the shadows.

Y'know what I really think needs to be done? I think there needs to be more official artwork of Okoto. That's kinda what made the island of Mata Nui feel so mystic to me was all of the artwork of the diverse environments. It really established the mystery and serenity of the island. MNOI & II also kinda established that as well.

Gleaming glistens The Red Star,
Bringing life to death afar,
Up away in deepest space,
You call me from your distant place.

Proud member of the Kanohi Force (Disavowed, but never dead)

Y'know what I really think needs to be done? I think there needs to be more official artwork of Okoto. That's kinda what made the island of Mata Nui feel so mystic to me was all of the artwork of the diverse environments. It really established the mystery and serenity of the island. MNOI & II also kinda established that as well.

I agree artwork makes a big difference in making a world more immersive, but to be honest we have gotten quite a bit of artwork for Okoto thanks to the Facebook page, the background art from of the packaging, and the webisodes. I mean, just take a look at BS01's Okoto gallery. That's all from one year, and doesn't even include things like the "Month of (element)" and "Happy Easter" art from the Facebook page, or scans from the graphic novel — all of which gave us new glimpses into Okoto's scenery.

The main thing we don't have this generation are video games like the Mata Nui Online Game that let you experience the island firsthand. I can't pretend I don't miss that kind of immersive gameplay. The two mobile games so far are not too bad in terms of gameplay but offer hardly any kind of world-building due to their repetitive arena-style level design.

• Upvote 2

I agree artwork makes a big difference in making a world more immersive, but to be honest we have gotten quite a bit of artwork for Okoto thanks to the Facebook page, the background art from of the packaging, and the webisodes. I mean, just take a look at BS01's Okoto gallery. That's all from one year, and doesn't even include things like the "Month of (element)" and "Happy Easter" art from the Facebook page, or scans from the graphic novel — all of which gave us new glimpses into Okoto's scenery.

The main thing we don't have this generation are video games like the Mata Nui Online Game that let you experience the island firsthand. I can't pretend I don't miss that kind of immersive gameplay. The two mobile games so far are not too bad in terms of gameplay but offer hardly any kind of world-building due to their repetitive arena-style level design.

I have to agree with you on this part, the video games for this generation of Bionicle are terrible. It's seems more like a attention-grabber for kids rather than a game like MNOG, but I guess Lego has a different viewpoint on games as compared to the past. At least we can be grateful that they are willing to do a Netflix series for Bionicle and not continue with the 2015 animations. :)

pokebannerforzaktansnake.png
Credit goes to Bundalings for the Signature!

Someone please upload that to youtube. 

Here are a few screenshots:

http://imgur.com/a/IemmK

Aside from that, it's mostly the same footage seen in the previous trailer.

Since I never used Netflix before I would have one question. The last picture in this imgur link says "All episodes March 4". Does this mean that all 4 episodes of this season will be available on March 4?

Thanks in advance for any answer  :)

IhDIrLK.jpg

Thanks. Nice to see the rest of the planet Okoto is on (I can see some other islands). 

It's time to move on.

Since I never used Netflix before I would have one question. The last picture in this imgur link says "All episodes March 4". Does this mean that all 4 episodes of this season will be available on March 4?

It's hard to say for sure. The date from the trailer leads me to think that all four episodes will be available March 4th, but reports from Toy Fair say that there will only be two on March 4th, and two more in July. We'll just have to wait and see.

• Upvote 1

IetTsFQ.png

It's really cool to see the planet Okoto is on. I think it would be really cool if the Toa traveled to one of those other islands sometime in the future. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I have to agree with you on this part, the video games for this generation of Bionicle are terrible. It's seems more like a attention-grabber for kids rather than a game like MNOG, but I guess Lego has a different viewpoint on games as compared to the past. At least we can be grateful that they are willing to do a Netflix series for Bionicle and not continue with the 2015 animations. :)

I wouldn't say the video games so far are terrible. I don't particularly enjoy them, but they seem pretty decent for free action games. We have to remember that LEGO struggled to make another game like MNOG and then seemingly stopped trying after a while. Even in the last four years of G1 we never got another game with the same level of world-building. I definitely enjoy the G2 Bionicle mobile games better than any of the G1 Bionicle online games from 2007–2010.

As great as the Mata Nui Online Game was for us, it's hard to say how effective it actually was at promoting the sets and story, let alone how effective a game like that would be in this day and age. A mindless action game might not be as good at telling a story as an adventure game, but if it's less expensive to produce and more kids play it, then it's arguably more effective as a marketing tool. And let's be honest, have you ever seen any OTHER toy series put out an adventure game of the same caliber as MNOG? I haven't, and maybe there's a reason for that. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that action games are just better for selling action figures.

If we are only going to get action games, I wouldn't mind one like the Hero Factory Breakout online game from 2012. That offered a VERY immersive experience compared to the two apps we've gotten. Beautiful level designs, great character customization, and a good balance of fighting and exploration. However, it was not optimized for mobile devices — the app version was a much more watered down version with just one character, one map, an isometric view, and no character customization. Since a lot of the games kids interact with the most these days are mobile apps, investing in online games that can't translate effectively to mobile devices might be something of a liability.

• Upvote 1

High-res pictures of the summer set boxes uploaded to Brickset!

Ekimu

Umarak the Destroyer

Quake Beast

Storm Beast

Lava Beast

Just like the previous set, the artwork on the boxes look great!

I really like that Umarak is in the background of Ekimu's box and vice versa. That is a neat detail for both of their boxes IMO.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

High-res pictures of the summer set boxes uploaded to Brickset!

Ekimu

Umarak the Destroyer

Quake Beast

Storm Beast

Lava Beast

These box looks extremely awesome! Though I am a bit disappointed that we can't get six medium-sized villains this summer (last summer suffered this one, too. I said it because of tradition in 2006-2007 and having all six Toa's corrupted masks), but I like what is going on here. It looks like that these new bad guys stole the Toa's masks and the Toa are on their knees as if they are weakened again. The box art seems to show us an apocalypse, probably created by Umarak the Destroyer, and Ekimu is there to save Okoto. Man, things are getting suspenseful and epic this summer, as Toy Fair shows that they will come this June!:D

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

It's hard to say for sure. The date from the trailer leads me to think that all four episodes will be available March 4th, but reports from Toy Fair say that there will only be two on March 4th, and two more in July. We'll just have to wait and see.

The trailer says all episodes will be available on March 4, but notice also that it is labeled "The Journey to One: Season 1." 2 episodes is kind of short for a season, but if it's really being split up like that that is probably what they mean. They probably wouldn't label it Season 1 unless there was more coming later, in any case.

Edited by dotcom
  • Upvote 1

AXKP5KC.png

The trailer says all episodes will be available on March 4, but notice also that it is labeled "The Journey to One: Season 1." 2 episodes is kind of short for a season, but if it's really being split up like that that is probably what they mean. They probably wouldn't label it Season 1 unless there was more coming later, in any case.

From what I know Season one are the four episodes, that have been announced so on the 4th of March they will either release just one episode, or they will release all four episodes of this season. I'd absolutely love if they released the whole season since I plan on using that one free Netflix month to watch the show. I don't watch shows that much so Journey to one will propbably be the only thing I'll watch there  :)

IhDIrLK.jpg

If the box art for Ekimu/Umarak is any indication, there's going to be a big showdown/corruption of a volcano. 

I think I'll just use the "free Netflix month" thing too. Although I may wait til all four episodes are released so I don't have to do it twice, if I can even do it twice. (I may try to bootleg, but I'm not going to talk about how to do that here, especially since the method I have in mind may not even work.)

Edited by fishers64

Yo that Journey to One poster is BALLER. And the teaser on the Netflix page is awesome too. Cool to think we have our very own "Bionicle 5" of sorts. It's a mini-series but more like a movie if you really think about it.

I also picked up Umarak the Hunter today. FANTASTIC set. Really fun, complex build. The original limbs are really well designed. Masks look great (especially that Mask of Control - Holy moly!) and the figure just looks so imposing and evil. The armoured look of him is just awesome, and the antlers and pieces of artillery strapped on him add a lot of character. I love the set. 

-NotS

• Upvote 1

tahubanner.jpg

Say what you will about the gameplay of Mask of Control (I personally really like it), but ###### that music is great.

Like, all 30 seconds of it... Seriously, G1 was baller in terms of soundtracks, and so far it looks like G2/Journey to One will live up.

:kakama:

Edited by Pohaturon

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

I'm thinking of Ordering some sets off of Amazon. I'm tempted to get all of the Creatures since they sound like they're all unique rather than variations on a theme, but between being underwhelmed by how similar the 2015 Toa are, not being able to distinguish colors or follow the building diagrams, and being more interested in MOC anyways, I was wondering which sets would be best for increasing my collections part diversity.

So, if I was to buy only one Skull villain and only 1 2016 Toa, which would give me the most new parts to work with? If I bought a second of each, which is most distinct from the first? Do keep in mind that I can't distinguish colors and that all parts might as well be black from my perspective and I only care about part shape.

Just so you know, I'm blinad

I'm thinking of Ordering some sets off of Amazon. I'm tempted to get all of the Creatures since they sound like they're all unique rather than variations on a theme, but between being underwhelmed by how similar the 2015 Toa are, not being able to distinguish colors or follow the building diagrams, and being more interested in MOC anyways, I was wondering which sets would be best for increasing my collections part diversity. So, if I was to buy only one Skull villain and only 1 2016 Toa, which would give me the most new parts to work with? If I bought a second of each, which is most distinct from the first? Do keep in mind that I can't distinguish colors and that all parts might as well be black from my perspective and I only care about part shape.

Hm... that's an interesting question to consider. As far as part shape alone is concerned, the two sets that would give you the most variety in general would probably also be the two biggest—Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder and the Kopaka and Melum Unity Set. The former includes all of the new part shapes from the summer 2015 sets except for the Bull Skull Mask from Skull Scorpio and Skull Basher. The latter includes most of the new parts from the 2016 winter wave except for the Shadow Trap parts, which are only available in the other Creatures, and the masks of the other five Toa.

If you still wanted another Skull Villain and were choosing based on part shape variety alone, the logical choice would probably be Skull Scorpio, who has more parts than the other Skull Villains, the final mask from the 2015 summer wave, a large variety of interesting Technic parts for use in functions, and the large Chima tusk/spider leg pieces (which are not a new shape but may be new to you). As for 2016 sets, there are a few options, but you might want to opt for Umarak the Hunter, who like Skull Scorpio has a larger quantity of parts than the other sets, including both the large and small Chima spider leg parts, plenty of useful Technic parts, a Shadow Trap, and not one but two uniquely-shaped masks (Umarak's normal mask and the Mask of Control, which is a great mask that like the Mask of Creation has a wonderfully intricate design that could be appreciated with or without the ability to discern color).

I hope this helps!

Edited by Lyichir

Man, I love how everyone's talking about how they just got the sets, when I'm over here, with all the sets in hand, and have had them since their first release in 2016.... I do have to say though, that some of the ball socket are rather loose on mine, so as for the rest of you, I hope you aren't plagued by this as well.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I need visual help for 2016 Lewa, im considering getting him but i cant find any images that can show how much elbow limitation he has. I have Lego Digital Designer installed on my laptop and can build it according to the 2016 manual for lewa i got online but LDD is not the best for testing arm poseability on his build.

So is what i ask is simple, can anyone rearrange a lewa arm in the configuration shown in my image(like the one on the right without vorox armor on) and show me how much the "elbow area piece" can move even with limitations and vorox armor reattached?

Edited by necross hordika

qs3135.jpg

I need visual help for 2016 Lewa, im considering getting him but i cant find any images that can show how much elbow limitation he has. I have Lego Digital Designer installed on my laptop and can build it according to the 2016 manual for lewa i got online but LDD is not the best for testing arm poseability on his build.

So is what i ask is simple, can anyone rearrange a lewa arm in the configuration shown in my image(like the one on the right without vorox armor on) and show me how much the "elbow area piece" can move even with limitations and vorox armor reattached?

That's how I built Lewa, and the Vorox armor does not hinder the arm movement at all. Maybe the armor piece technically bends a tiny bit, but I've never noticed.

Simply put, you can (and should) build it that way to allow for more articulation.

IetTsFQ.png

Lewa's arm posability is actually quite good, but to understand it, it's best not to think of it like other arm builds. LDD is also not good for visualization (since the Vorox armor is much more rigid in LDD than in real life and most poses involve angling his arms along multiple axes at once), so if you have any Vorox armor from G1 it can be helpful to build a physical mock-up.

In particular, the Vorox armor should not actually be facing straight to the sides in all poses. Rather, it ends up angled back (the extent of this varies depending on the pose, but it rarely faces a full 90° to the side). With the upper arms positioned as such, the lower arms can bend forward and back fairly freely, since the lowest point of the Vorox armor essentially ends up behind the joint. The lower arm shells similarly should be angled back—the crystal add-ons work best as elbow pads rather than covering the sides of his arms. This is something that surprised me when I got the set, since I had intended to rotate the lower arm shells to give his arms more motion but realized that the way the set has them built gives him some arm protection that is well-suited to his dual-sided weapons. Also, because of how his arms are built, his arms can't be raised from his sides to a vertical angle like you can on most figures—rather, you have to swing his arms forward as you raise them. Believe it or not, that's actually slightly more realistic in terms of motion—try raising your own arms with them angled straight from your sides and you'll find that it's very difficult to get them much farther than a horizontal 90° angle!

Edited by Lyichir