OFFICIAL 2016 Bionicle Topic

Makaru

I got Gali Uniter of Water and Akida Creature of Water as a gift today. Gali is alright - I still like her previous iteration more in many ways, but I do like orange's addition to the colour scheme (cool how they positioned the orange Skrall armour piece on her leg) and the beautiful translucent dark blue shells. Her proportions feel better than I expected too. What I really like about these new Toa are their custom shoulder designs. They have a unified look from the back but are completely original between each Toa. It's really fantastic and adds a unique quality to each build. Funny how I used to think the 2016 sets were completely inferior to their 2015 iterations but now I can't even look back. They are levels apart. 2016 just crosses the line between old gen and new gen perfectly, while 2015 was too... clean? I guess that's the best I can put it.

Akida on the other hand... Wow. This is is the best small-sized set I've ever purchased, er, received. Amazing, complex technic-based design, a great function, and aesthetically pleasing too. The Unity form looks great and that's thanks to Akida's sleek look compared to the other creatures dangling limbs.

Two more Toa/Creature combos left!

-NotS

2016 is the year Lego has really started to add complexity and customization to their constraction builds. I've had a similar situation as you regarding the Toa of 2016 to 2015. 2016's custom shoulder assembly's and custom upper limbs make 2015's Toa feel more visually simple (although they're not actually simple). It's why I want to give the beasts a try, their designs have the most craziness of any regular sized Bionicle set (except maybe the Barraki) and I feel compelled to get them for that alone.

2016 is the year Lego has really started to add complexity and customization to their constraction builds. I've had a similar situation as you regarding the Toa of 2016 to 2015. 2016's custom shoulder assembly's and custom upper limbs make 2015's Toa feel more visually simple (although they're not actually simple). It's why I want to give the beasts a try, their designs have the most craziness of any regular sized Bionicle set (except maybe the Barraki) and I feel compelled to get them for that alone.

The armour design definitely plays a role too - 2015 is very sleek, while 2016 has more detail. It just adds to the illusion. The beasts definitely have innovative designs and that's really respectable for $13-tier sets, which is why I will give them a try as well.

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Not sure if this has been talked about, but on the boxes for the beasts you can see the maskless Toa.

Is it just me or is Tahu the Master Variant instead of the Unity form like the other 2 toa?

Yeah it's been talked about amongst the community. It is definitely Tahu Master and not Uniter.

:y::m_o::l::m_o:

Could someone who owns the exclusive SDCC trans. lime Skull Scorpio mask and one of the new beasts post an image where the trans. lime head, with a trans. lime eyestalk is wearing the trans. lime mask? Preferably with a black 2-length axle piece instead of red?

Why? Because reasons. >.>

Thanks!

:kakama: 

• Upvote 4

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Could someone who owns the exclusive SDCC trans. lime Skull Scorpio mask and one of the new beasts post an image where the trans. lime head, with a trans. lime eyestalk is wearing the trans. lime mask? Preferably with a black 2-length axle piece instead of red?

Thanks!

You want to create a neon mess that glows like radioactive goop when lighted with a blacklight? I like you. 

• Upvote 4

If you like Pingu & want to support a good project, click here. Also, I've rejoined the BZPRPG & I have a new profile for a new game. Click here to see it.

Thanks!

Oh Mata Nui yes! I wasn't the only one to think that. We need this so bad.

Thanks!

You want to create a neon mess that glows like radioactive goop when lighted with a blacklight? I like you. 

We also have trans. lime CCBS bones and shells. All that remains is a torso piece, and my dream of a vaguely humanoid form of radioactive goop will become reality!

Vote Radioactivity for canon element

• Upvote 3

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

Man, make no mistake. The Journey to One may not have the smoothest animation, flawless pacing, or an extraordinary story. But its art direction is really amazingly beautiful. Just look at some of these stills!

Agreed! The strong influence MNOG had on the art direction for last year's webisodes is still really apparent in Journey to One. It's a shame the other elements of the series don't quite come together to do the art full justice.

believe victims. its actually not that hard, and youd look kind of bad if you were to, say, side with an abuser because theyre your friend

Man, make no mistake. The Journey to One may not have the smoothest animation, flawless pacing, or an extraordinary story. But its art direction is really amazingly beautiful. Just look at some of these stills!

Agreed! The strong influence MNOG had on the art direction for last year's webisodes is still really apparent in Journey to One. It's a shame the other elements of the series don't quite come together to do the art full justice.

There are certainly points where I think everything comes together smoothly, but then there are also awkward moments like Tahu crashing into the column in the City of the Mask Makers that take you out of the experience. I think with either more money or more time the animators could probably have smoothed out those rough patches, and with luck the longer the series goes on, the better it will get.

When we got the first glimpses of this series, I was a bit worried about how iconic it could be with 3D graphics instead of 2D like the webisodes, but when you compare the last year's webisodes with this year's series, the style actually feels fairly consistent. It's almost like comparing a classic video game with an HD re-release, or comparing handheld and console versions of the same game (the latter comparison might make more sense, since I remember one of the determining factors for the style of last year's webisodes was having it look clear and distinctive even on small screens).

Thanks! Reported to the front page! :)

Those temples seem awfully haphazard to me, even for ancient wrecks...

But meh, quibbles. :P

"All magic comes with a price, dearie!" -The Dark One

I'm known on the LMB's as Brickobotface, Teh Dark One is merely a fad. :P

Having both Ekimu standing next to both Kopaka makes me think that maybe the reason they took a lot of the gold away from Kopaka was so that they didn't have the same color scheme. Sure Kopaka'15 had some white on him, but he really pulled off the Gold/Trans Blue.

It also makes me realize that even with how much he grew, Ekimu is still shorter than the standard toa.

What even.

Will this include the two Summer episodes as well though? Seems a bit excessive for only the prologue + 2 currently aired episodes.

This might be a preferable alternative to Netflix, actually.

What even.

Will this include the two Summer episodes as well though? Seems a bit excessive for only the prologue + 2 currently aired episodes.

This might be a preferable alternative to Netflix, actually.

Probably best not to read too much into this. Australia is apparently getting DVDs, but from what I've seen, the DVD market there is a lot different from elsewhere in the world. I don't know whether it's because perhaps high-speed internet is less common there (and thus streaming isn't as viable for as large a market) or what, but Australia seems to get a lot more in the way of physical media across the board—several other shows I watch (including Steven Universe and The Legend of Korra) have gotten fancy DVD/Blu-Ray box sets while in the U.S. the shows are only parceled into multiple volumes (with Steven Universe in particular lacking any sort of complete physical release in any form).

So while this is probably a great thing for Australian customers, it shouldn't necessarily be taken as a bellwether for other countries. And because of the region locking of DVDs, only those with Region 4 or or region-free DVD players will be able to take advantage of this particular release.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

We do have high-speed internet here, but it's not as high-speed as America's. Streaming isn't bad here, either, depending on your network plan.

It's good when we get DVDs and the U.S. doesn't. It's what you get when you're spoilt, hogging most of the exclusive-promotional masks. :)

Almost anything is preferable to Netflix, but it's weird hearing Australians actually getting the long end of the stick on media for once(usually when I hear about Australian media, it's usually in regards to censorship that makes the US look liberal, games coming out over a year after the Europeans get it(and the Europeans already getting it later than the Japanese and Americans) or games going for 80-100 AUD compared to 50-60 USD despite the AUD averaging more than 1 USD in value).

Not that I currently have access to a usable DVD player or have any idea how to rip the audio from a DVD from the Linux command line, so the physical release wouldn't be worth much to me even if it came to the US.

• Upvote 1

Just so you know, I'm blinad

We do have high-speed internet here, but it's not as high-speed as America's. Streaming isn't bad here, either, depending on your network plan.

It's good when we get DVDs and the U.S. doesn't. It's what you get when you're spoilt, hogging most of the exclusive-promotional masks. :)

Internet speed isn't my issue with Netflix. Netflix is my issue with Netflix.

Internet speed isn't my issue with Netflix. Netflix is my issue with Netflix.

My only issue with Netflix is that the content over here in the UK is a lot less than it is elsewhere. No Cowboy Bebop for poor old Tert. :c

But that's a discussion for a different thread me thinks.

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

I still can't get over how all of the beast sets looked like they were just slapped together from random pieces lying around.  And from all the clawed hands that we've been getting, G2 could probably use a new dedicated claw mold.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

I still can't get over how all of the beast sets looked like they were just slapped together from random pieces lying around. And from all the clawed hands that we've been getting, G2 could probably use a new dedicated claw mold.

I'm pretty sure that's the *point* of their design. They aren't supposed to be pretty or sleek. While they're a little bare-bones in some areas, so was last summer's villain sets with those arm/leg pieces they all had. Imo, the functions and builds are better than last summer's clap-tastic Skull Basher or plain Skull Warrior and Grinder. It's cool to see such ambitious builds and traits for a cheap $15 set.

Really, the only complaints I have are OCD-based like Quake Beast's leg armour is in different colors and that one of the beasts doesn't have that ugly trans. yellow/green. I'd rather they all have it or or all have different colors.

As for the claws, that's only been with the beasts and creatures and that's due to them being animalistic instead of humanoid. The beasts and Destroyer all have different builds for their hands/claws so a new mold wouldnt work at all.

The skull villains had the excuse of being, y'know, undead, so they were designed to be gappy and have a literally bare-bones structure.  They still managed to give almost all of them unique looks and functions, so I think they came out really well.

I dunno what the beasts' excuse would be.  What, did Umarak or Makuta literally just scrounge up some random pieces and put them together in builds that kinda sorta resembled cohesive builds?  I just want my sets to look good, darn it.

Edited by Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Well they're covered in some sort of goop in the box/booklet comics so we can assume they just blorped out of the ground. And considering they're beasts (ergo likely less sophisticated and more primal) they shouldn't be fully covered in armour or using complex weapons like blasters (it's nice to see a whole wave that doesn't have a single stud launcher in it.)

Both this summer's wave and last summer's suffer from lack of interesting mask molds. Granted, unlike the skull characters, it makes sense for the beasts to not be wearing "masks" in the sense that the toa and such do.

Well they're covered in some sort of goop in the box/booklet comics so we can assume they just blorped out of the ground. And considering they're beasts (ergo likely less sophisticated and more primal) they shouldn't be fully covered in armour or using complex weapons like blasters (it's nice to see a whole wave that doesn't have a single stud launcher in it.)

Both this summer's wave and last summer's suffer from lack of interesting mask molds. Granted, unlike the skull characters, it makes sense for the beasts to not be wearing "masks" in the sense that the toa and such do.

Depending on how canon store descriptions are, Storm Beast for example sounds like he has been living in the seas around Okoto, swimming around and minding his own business for a good long while before the MoC corrupted him, applied the green goop effect and sent him on a mask-corrupting frenzy. I assume Quake Beast has been peacefully living underground, away from the region populated by the earth tribe, and the Lava Beasts were partying in a volcano/sauna this whole time. I have yet to read their descriptions.

Based on this, I kinda assumed that the beasts were some kind of elemental deities which have been corrupted by the MoC, and will later on be allies, even. Point is, they're definitely not an upgraded form of Umarak's shadow-minion spawning ability seen in JtO.

I actually feel sympathy for them if that's true.

If the beasts are swarm type characters you'd think there'd be at least a few that escaped corruption. Although if they do become allies, I'd be all for updated/prettier versions in the future like Ekimu got. Granted I imagine the creatures and beasts will just get written off like the Protectors.

If the beasts are swarm type characters you'd think there'd be at least a few that escaped corruption. Although if they do become allies, I'd be all for updated/prettier versions in the future like Ekimu got. Granted I imagine the creatures and beasts will just get written off like the Protectors.

Lava is swarm, Quake and Stormy are singular characters i.e. stronger and will serve as "lieutenants" for Umarak. I guess.

Lava is swarm, Quake and Stormy are singular characters i.e. stronger and will serve as "lieutenants" for Umarak. I guess.

I headcanon them all as individuals, mostly so I won't have to modify a whole swarm of the buggers. :P I'm also probably making three more to fight the other Toa.  I also imagine them being primordial versions of the Creatures--prototypes, if you will--that went rogue, and were locked away in the Labyrinth so that they wouldn't utterly destroy Okoto. 

:miru: 

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

That's odd. The poster #2 on the official site has multiples of all 3 beasts.

TLG designer John Ho has come out as the main designer for 71312 Ekimu the Mask Maker.

Summer has arrived Denmark! Finally.....

So did the New LEGO Bionicle Sets!

As I said last time, this year I mainly work on LEGO Bionicle products, For second half 2016, I've only work on one product :)

71312 Ekimu Mask Maker

This is the last product I'd work on in Bionicle, as some of you might already know this from this year inside tour/or last year Skærbæk Fan Weekend, I am currently working in the Creator 3in1 team :)

Big thanks to the Constraction team for the last 2.5 years. It was a awesome experience. :)

hope you will enjoy building/playing with them as much we enjoy designing them! Cheers!

P.S. As usual, some personal remarks :)

The turning function in the lower body is best used when you connect the hammer to both hands, and the battle function on the upper body is best used when you only hold the hammer in one hand.

The different arm build is to ensure Ekimu can hold the weapon with only one hand, as if you try to put the hammer on his left arm, it is too weak to support it. Same case go to the shoulder design.

Lava and storm beasts are now available in the UK at shop at home, I'm sure the rest will follow soon.

Gee, I've completely lost track of what's been happening... I think I'm too far gone. Can anyone fill me in on the story so far?

Umaraks turned into a monster because he put on Makuta's mask. Now he's summoning other monsters (the elemental beasts) and attacking the toa for some unspecified reason probably involving a volcano.