Spyro the Dragon

Well, after BBC#71, which was a bit disappointing for me at least, turns out I'm back with another MOC, but it's not of any old imaginary creature of the night, nor an alien race of chess pieces. It is, as the title suggests, none other than my favourite video game character ever. Spyro the Dragon! This in particular is based on his original Nineties game appearances (not Skylanders) which holds quite some nostalgia for me. I always wanted to build this little guy with Technic and CCBS bits, but sadly, not enough pieces exist in the right colours so, rather than my original intention to build this in real life, I had to resort to LDD. And here it is:

22448949964_10086ff91a_z.jpg

Here's the stuff I wrote for the Flickr description:

Having recently rediscovered all the old things I used to love as a child (from the Nineties), I recently had an overwhelming urge to build one of my favourite video game characters ever. Spyro the Dragon. This MOC is based on the appearance of classic Nineties Playstation 1 Spyro (not Skylanders Spyro, I wish classic Spyro would come back! Then I'd have a reason to buy a Playstation 4  :P ). Built in LDD (was going to be a real-life model until I realised the lack of purple Technic and CCBS meant the end result would look nothing like Spyro) and rendered using Bluerender. The model took about 8 hours to build. And as a little extra, I've also built his faithful companion Sparx the Dragonfly, in his full health colours.

And, as with the Chess pieces which some of you may remember, I've also made a GIF spinnie. Click here to view it  :)

Anyway... positive comments, constructive criticism, upvotes and butterflies for Spyro's companion Sparx all appreciated  :)

• Upvote 10

My Flickr - My Brickshelf - My DeviantART

Latest MOC: Draphim the Dragonborn - Latest artwork: Mazzie Rati

MOC Accolades: Mechan'Rex, Steel Guardian (BFTGM 2nd place on EB) - Skeletal Dragon (Featured on BZP) - Skull Imitator Corphos (Featured on Creator's Corner) - CCBS Chess (Featured on BZP) - Draphim the Dragonborn (Most faved MOC of mine on Flickr) - BOB WIP (featured on Flickr's Explore page - don't ask me why)

If you see a creative topic from me, I'd appreciate a comment on it - it's how I learn and become better at what I do!

Thanks for the nice comments guys!  :D

Amazing work, he's super-accurate and you even included Sparx! :D Great techniques as well!

Now we just need a Cynder. :P

You're the first person to suggest another video game character for me to build that wasn't Crash Bandicoot  :P Maybe I will build a Cynder at some point as I've always liked her as a character, but I don't have as much nostalgia and fondness for the Legend of Spyro or Skylanders games where she appears as I do for pre-2005 Spyro... my goodness, I suddenly feel old  :P

My Flickr - My Brickshelf - My DeviantART

Latest MOC: Draphim the Dragonborn - Latest artwork: Mazzie Rati

MOC Accolades: Mechan'Rex, Steel Guardian (BFTGM 2nd place on EB) - Skeletal Dragon (Featured on BZP) - Skull Imitator Corphos (Featured on Creator's Corner) - CCBS Chess (Featured on BZP) - Draphim the Dragonborn (Most faved MOC of mine on Flickr) - BOB WIP (featured on Flickr's Explore page - don't ask me why)

If you see a creative topic from me, I'd appreciate a comment on it - it's how I learn and become better at what I do!