The Bohrok Awake and more Photography

Ontocron

Great work again, Keyblade! :) These are really cool to see.

As usual, I think the fire characters steal the show ( :P), but the variety of the others is definitely great to see, too. Tahu's pose on the Bohrok cover is perfect, and his gold mask looks really impressive; it's also hard to believe that the Toa used to be that thin! Maybe I shouldn't read too much into it, but the older, smaller sets almost lend themselves better to multi-dimensional characters who are more prone to doubt and fear than later, bulkier versions. Tahu is ready for action, but we can also see that he is definitely alarmed by this new threat. The Toa went through their first quest only to find another one right on its heels...

My other favorite is the lava surfing; the poses of the surfer and spectator and the fiery effects on the lava are amazing! McToran may be small, but you've shown us again that even the (literally) smallest of characters can make a big impact, visual and otherwise.

Onepu and Onua is also a cool one; Onua's pose, as I'm sure you know, is really what makes it. Maybe in the future we can see Onepu with/on an Ussal crab? :)

My only suggestion would be that the one with the Nuhvok might have been even better with multiple Nuhvok, but of course most of us never bought more than one of each of the Bohrok, so that might not be possible anyway. Bohrok are very poseable and I'm sure there are a lot more great pictures to be taken of them, but with the murky swamp setting and menacing glowing eyes, yours is a great first!

Just to throw it out there, I think a picture of a Bohrok and Bohrok Va exchanging Krana would be pretty cool. :)

Anyway, amazing work again, Keyblade! Thanks a lot for posting it! :)

• Upvote 1

Maybe in the future we can see Onepu with/on an Ussal crab? :)

Just to throw it out there, I think a picture of a Bohrok and Bohrok Va exchanging Krana would be pretty cool. :)

Hmm, that gives me some interesting ideas...

How'd you create Tahu's bent leg?

I took a photo of Tahu's right leg separately from the rest of his body, and then carefully cut it out in Photoshop. From there, I simply had to cut out the upper part of the leg and arrange it in the bent position.

• 3 weeks later...

You did a fantastic job, with the great photography and editing. I especially like the comic cover, which you captured perfectly. But I just have to say, you should start a project to recreate (all?) the comic covers. I'd love to at least see a few more.

"What we see depends mainly on what we look for" -John Lubbock

Maybe in the future we can see Onepu with/on an Ussal crab? :)

Hmm, that gives me some interesting ideas...

How'd you create Tahu's bent leg?

I took a photo of Tahu's right leg separately from the rest of his body, and then carefully cut it out in Photoshop. From there, I simply had to cut out the upper part of the leg and arrange it in the bent position.

Were the Tohunga's arms done in the same way?

gb_civil_war_ara_banner_2.jpg 
Proud Graphics Artist.
Current 2015 collection:

I have them all :P

green = all, blue = partial, black = none

Only non-promotionals counted

These are totally cool. I like all of the scenes very much, but if I had to pick one (okay, maybe two) absolute favorites, they would be Tahu encountering a Bohrok because it so perfectly recreates a memorable image… and Onua finding Onepu, because it just looks so… Bionicle. The glowing eyes, the darker ambiance of the caverns - wonderful work.

pirate wreck  

Eeeeeeep. O_O Baby Ussal!

That's some amazing photography there [ :P] If you don't mind me asking, how did you manage to acquire the bend in Tahu's leg in the bohrok swarm poster? I'm intrigued by that especially... [:P]

These are amazing. How did you make that fantastic background in the bohrok awake photo?

The background there was a bit complex. I combined a bunch of photos in Photoshop to construct it. I first took a photo of a bohrok canister lid, and copied it multiple times to create a whole hive wall. Next, I overlaid a picture of some billowing smoke and applied the colors I wanted, making sure to add a blur to give an impression of depth to the picture. Then, I did some cutting and pasting to turn the stair Tahu was standing on into a cracked, rocky floor. To finish it off, I added some wispy transparent smoke on top to add to the atmosphere.

the images are spectacular, do you realize more images?

I plan to do more, and you can find all the pictures I have done at my gallery here: http://keyblade87.deviantart.com/gallery/

These flawlessly capture the old feel in beautiful 3D due to the use of the sets and your skill in positioning and editing everything. Unless your method for doing this is really, really time-consuming I would suggest you try remaking a comic in this style. That would be amazing.

Well, I did 'remake' a few comic panels previously, here. You might be interested in checking that out.

Were the Tohunga's arms done in the same way?

Some of them were done that way, such as the Ignalu Lava Surfing one. For some of the others, I used a colored wire twist-tie to hold the arms on in a more natural position.

Thank you everyone for the kind comments!

These are amazing. How did you make that fantastic background in the bohrok awake photo?

The background there was a bit complex. I combined a bunch of photos in Photoshop to construct it. I first took a photo of a bohrok canister lid, and copied it multiple times to create a whole hive wall. Next, I overlaid a picture of some billowing smoke and applied the colors I wanted, making sure to add a blur to give an impression of depth to the picture. Then, I did some cutting and pasting to turn the stair Tahu was standing on into a cracked, rocky floor. To finish it off, I added some wispy transparent smoke on top to add to the atmosphere.

Wait that was done in phototshop!? It looks so real. You sir have real talent.

It's time to move on.