Poll: Blended Masks, Yea or Nay?

Nescent

Blended Masks: Yea or Nay?  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You can definitely have too many bright colors in my book. That's part of why I think the 2001 Tahu's colors look so much better than the 2010 (Stars) version's — the 2010 version didn't have any black to help tone down the other colors.

I will agree that the orange on Gali looks super-sweet, though I didn't think of it as replacing the gunmetal (Titanium Metallic). To me it feels more like the Transparent Blue replaced the 2015 version's Titanium Metallic and the Bright Orange replaced the 2015 version's Bright Yellow.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

You can definitely have too many bright colors in my book. That's part of why I think the 2001 Tahu's colors look so much better than the 2010 (Stars) version's — the 2010 version didn't have any black to help tone down the other colors.

I will agree that the orange on Gali looks super-sweet, though I didn't think of it as replacing the gunmetal (Titanium Metallic). To me it feels more like the Transparent Blue replaced the 2015 version's Titanium Metallic and the Bright Orange replaced the 2015 version's Bright Yellow.

This is probably close to off-topic, but IMO Bright Orange suits Gali better than Bright Yellow. I think that is a definite improvement over the 2015 version. 

Not that there is much IMO to like about Gali 2015 - that set suffers the most from the silver blending in the standard mask, which puts me off buying it. 

I'm not a fan of the blended masks. Mainly because the last time we had blended masks it was because their powers were being drained. 

I guess now it can signify that their powers are "incomplete" and need to unify with the elemental creatures. But then why do they have blended gold masks? It just seems like a gimmick to me. 

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

I'm not a fan of the blended masks. Mainly because the last time we had blended masks it was because their powers were being drained. 

I guess now it can signify that their powers are "incomplete" and need to unify with the elemental creatures. But then why do they have blended gold masks? It just seems like a gimmick to me.

Well, arguably it is. But ALL masks are a gimmick in the grand scheme of things. They're the original gimmick.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2

The concept of the silver-blended masks is great - it reminds me of those Nuva adverts in 2002 where the masks were partially silver thanks to the Toa emerging from protodermis, and these Uniters seem to be heavily based on the Nuva in general so that nostalgia is a powerful factor. But execution-wise, it's just like the 2004 Matoran's silver blended masks and I wasn't the biggest fan of those and I am not of these either. It's bland and I'd much prefer solid, one-colour masks.

The gold and trans-secondary colour though: I love that. I loved it in the Skull villains in 2015 and I love it now too. Keep em coming LEGO!

-NotS

tahubanner.jpg

Now that I have a couple of the sets in person, I actually changed my mind - I like the silver blend quite a bit on Kopaka. I think it will look good on all the Toa, except for Tahu and Onua. They would probably look better with pure red and black.

But yeah Kopaka looks really good with the silver-blended mask, better than solid white would have.

IetTsFQ.png

I HATED TAHU'S NEUTRAL COLOURED BONES, IT SHOWED THAT LEGO WANTED TO SAVE MONEY ON RECOLOURS. YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TOO MANY BRIGHT COLOURS, THAT'S JUST COMMON SENSE TO ME. AT LEAST TAHU'S MORE DETAILED AND G1 LOOKING THAN HIS 2015 VERSION. ALSO I LOVE THE ORANGE ON GALI, IT LOOKS A LOT BETTER THAN HER GUNMETAL IN 2015

Would you mind not writing in all caps lock letters, its very rude to write like that on forums since many consider it looking like yelling and you are making it worse by using a bigger font size than 14 as well

Edited by necross hordika
  • Upvote 2

qs3135.jpg

I do like the blended gold masks, but they remind me too much of the drained masks from last summer. Seeing as these versions aren't drained, what is the purpose of them fading to translucent colors? As for the standard masks blending to silver, I quite like that. Again, I like both, but feel like the blended gold is creating a bit of a continuity issue here.

I do like the blended gold masks, but they remind me too much of the drained masks from last summer. Seeing as these versions aren't drained, what is the purpose of them fading to translucent colors? As for the standard masks blending to silver, I quite like that. Again, I like both, but feel like the blended gold is creating a bit of a continuity issue here.

How DARE you use LOGIC against the BIONI-COOL!

A fish wielding vampire. That's Spiffy.

Is it bad that I want all 4 variations?

I like the solid color and solid gold as an option, but I like the silver and blended gold masks as well.

How do I put this? I feel the blended masks are even cooler when there's solid masks as well. Therefore, I like all four variations as an option.

• 2 weeks later...

Well those masks were drained by the skull creatures who used the drained power right?  Maybe the Toa are draining the power from their own masks to be more powerful or maybe even the creatures are unlocking the masks power.  These are my personal excuses for now until LEGO gives an official explanation.

The three bigger sets shouldn't of had silver in their masks and the three smaller sets should of had silver instead of gold masks IMO.

This summer's silver/green Toa masks should be interesting.

Well those masks were drained by the skull creatures who used the drained power right?  Maybe the Toa are draining the power from their own masks to be more powerful or maybe even the creatures are unlocking the masks power.  These are my personal excuses for now until LEGO gives an official explanation.

The three bigger sets shouldn't of had silver in their masks and the three smaller sets should of had silver instead of gold masks IMO.

What seems to make more sense is that being united with the Creature might drain the Toa's energy, since previous episodes have implied that the mask reflects the bearers' own energy levels. 

Edited by fishers64

What seems to make more sense is that being united with the Creature might drain the Toa's energy, since previous episodes have implied that the mask reflects the bearers' own energy levels. 

Technically I believe when the Toa "unite" with a creature, they "share" their energy.  Therefor I think it's more a case of the energy being distributed between the two which partially drains both.  At the same time this concentrates their power in the same place making them more powerful together.

I've only skimmed the thread so sorry if it's been mentioned a lot:

My biggest concern though is MOCing. Matching a single-color mask with a figure, no problem! Matching two colors... well, that basically dictates a large chunk of your color scheme. A red mask alone will work in just about any color combination you choose, but a red/silver mask might look kinda icky if it's the only silver element on a red-and-gunmetal model.

That said though, I like the blended masks a lot. It might be inconvenient as far as MOCs go, but they do look very nice alone or on the original designated figures.

If only collectible masks a la 2001 were a realistic thing to hope for... I'd be so chuffed to see blended masks AND some solid masks in varying colors available. Looks like the closest thing we're gonna get is things like the protector masks though...

I wish the masks could come in every color with both blended and non-blended variants, but I'm fine with what they have this year. It sort of helps to set the 2016 mask apart from the 2015 ones, or at least the silver-blended regular masks, since the gold-trans-bland was already done last year with the Skull Villains.

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

The silver masks are pretty cool, but they look kind of bland in my opinion. The gold blends, however, look absolutely awesome. To my knowledge, I don't think that LEGO has done anything like that with past BIONICLE parts (if I'm wrong, please let me know). 

I've seen some people on here say that they're not liking the gold blend, as it limits MOCing possibilities. I've never been too big into MOCing myself, so this does not appear as a con for me.

Edited by Toa Atukam

I wish that all of the colors in a blended mask would match the color scheme of the entire figure. The silver on Tahu's normal mask sticks out on his gold-heavy color scheme. I think all of the golden masks look nice blended though.

And even though it is not included on the poll, but the blend on Umarak's mask looks amazing.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Im honestly TIRED of blended masks i mean the protectors had them the skull villians have them and now the TOA have them!!!!!! i mean good that 2016 Ekimu does not have a blended mask.

Also remember my opinion.

Edited by Tahu3.0

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

I'm okay with the gold and trans blended masks, since as far as I'm concerned they exist for the mask-swapping gimmick and they serve that purpose well. Voted against the silver masks less because I dislike the blend as much as it makes it harder to MOC with those masks without using silver elsewhere.

Currently entering Phase One, with 3% chance of complete personality breakdown.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...