LEGO Video Games Sub-Forum?

Voltex

LEGO Video Games Subforum  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I would love to see a LEGO Video Game Sub-Forum on BZP. With the number of Lego video games available now or going to be released soon, it would be great to have one place on the site where those interested in these games can post topics for them. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Is there not one right now?

Sheesh, that's a real shame if there isn't one currently. It actually sounds like a great idea for one. It's got several capabilities for topics ranging from "guides on how to get", "techniques for…", "Favorite character in…", "look what I built", favorite game and favorite series as well. It definitely seems like the basis for a new sub-forum. 

I'm all for it. Heck, I might even dig up some old LEGO games I've got and see if I can get some questions answered for how to do certain things (Actually I always could just look it up but regardless of that), it definitely seems like a great idea.

Hopefully it does end up becoming its own sub-forum because it would be a shame if it never did.

~Soran

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

Currently I just don't see the need for it. It's not like the main Lego Discussion forum (where most of that discussion currently goes) is overflowing with activity or anything like that.

Yeah, pretty much this. Just because we're losing a subforum with little to no activity doesn't mean we need to get a new one.

AXKP5KC.png

I've wondered why the software forum was done away with when the board was rebuilt a few years ago. I think it would be great to have a forum for official games again.

Ditto.

Bring back the software forum but have it encompass all Lego media.

Definitely not all Lego media. That would include everything from TV shows to games to books to movies, and would take a huge bite out of already struggling subforums like the Ninjago subforum (since more than 50% of the discussion there revolves around the TV series) and the Lego Discussion forum itself (since again, a good portion of the discussion here revolves around things like video games). The only way I could see that working is to nix all the general Lego subforums and replace them with separate "sets" and "media" subforums—and not only would that be a huge and complex shakeup, but it'd fly in the face of the changes that have happened to the Bionicle subforums (which, by folding set and media discussion into one forum, has resulted in a much more robust discussion space).

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Then get rid of the Ninjago subforum. If it's "struggling", why keep it around?

The media subforum could be split into "Bionicle" and "Everything Else".

People would probably only talk about Ninjago and Chima in "Everything Else" anyway.

Well ideally, I'd like BZPower to continue working to draw more Ninjago fans to the site, considering that the Ninjago theme continues to be one of the most successful LEGO themes out there, and is thriving in ways we only wish Bionicle could. Plus, the Ninjago subforum is not getting a lot of activity right now because we're both between seasons and between new waves of sets, but in the midst of each new season of the show it tends to get much more activity.

I agree with Lyi that it's probably counterproductive to divide up Bionicle and LEGO discussion more than they are already. Already, the distinctions between Bionicle Discussion and Bionicle Storyline & Theories are kind of muddled because the storyline of Bionicle is so intertwined with the sets and media. Creating a Bionicle Media subforum separate from both of those other subforums would only compound the confusion.

Eurobricks, another site I use a lot, has separate forums for LEGO Media and LEGO themes, sets, and MOCs. Over there, people are CONSTANTLY being told to keep Ninjago TV show discussion in the TV show topic and Ninjago set discussion in the sets topic, but the more it happens, the more futile it seems — the sets and show are related in so many ways that discussion of the sets naturally feeds into discussion of the story and vice-versa. I don't want BZPower to go down that same road, with productive discussions having to be interrupted all the time so they stay divided up in neat little boxes.

• Upvote 1

Eurobricks, another site I use a lot, has separate forums for LEGO Media and LEGO themes, sets, and MOCs. Over there, people are CONSTANTLY being told to keep Ninjago TV show discussion in the TV show topic and Ninjago set discussion in the sets topic, but the more it happens, the more futile it seems — the sets and show are related in so many ways that discussion of the sets naturally feeds into discussion of the story and vice-versa. I don't want BZPower to go down that same road, with productive discussions having to be interrupted all the time so they stay divided up in neat little boxes.

sounds like thy may be run by a guy with square orange hair and a business suit. :b

(also i totally agree, some of the distinctions here are arbitrary enough, we really don't need to subdivide any more forums. O: )

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Over there, people are CONSTANTLY being told to keep Ninjago TV show discussion in the TV show topic and Ninjago set discussion in the sets topic

Why do they do that?

Let people discuss what they'd like.

I too would like BZP to stay less run by boxes and more by the members.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

The only way I could see that working is to nix all the general Lego subforums and replace them with separate "sets" and "media" subforums—and not only would that be a huge and complex shakeup, but it'd fly in the face of the changes that have happened to the Bionicle subforums (which, by folding set and media discussion into one forum, has resulted in a much more robust discussion space).

That was certainly one of the reasons behind merging forums like Media Discussion and BIONICLE Sets into one all-encompassing and dedicated space per theme. It's also more flexible: subforums can be added or merged back into the LEGO Discussion one as themes come and go. So, you're correct; we don't want to change the logic that organizes the subforums in the LEGO Discussion category at this point. There is the question of how exactly a LEGO Video Games space would mesh with said logic, but perhaps more important is the question of how much activity such a space would see.

This is all great discussion, everyone. It's good to see!

The problem with a "general online + video games" forum is that it messes with our theme-oriented forum structure.

For example, if I wanted to go discuss Bionicle: Mask of Creation, that's Bionicle Discussion, but if I'm going to discuss a ninjago game...or if I'm going to discuss the Hero Factory breakout game...online games tend to be themed in a way that video games aren't.

Also, considering that Ninjago is going to get its own movie next year, getting rid of the Ninjago subforum seems incredibly brainless.

Why Software was eliminated before the theme-oriented switch probably had to do with lack of activity - it was folded into Media Discussion.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

The problem with a "general online + video games" forum is that it messes with our theme-oriented forum structure.

For example, if I wanted to go discuss Bionicle: Mask of Creation, that's Bionicle Discussion, but if I'm going to discuss a ninjago game...or if I'm going to discuss the Hero Factory breakout game...online games tend to be themed in a way that video games aren't.

Also, considering that Ninjago is going to get its own movie next year, getting rid of the Ninjago subforum seems incredibly brainless.

Why Software was eliminated before the theme-oriented switch probably had to do with lack of activity - it was folded into Media Discussion.

There is an inherent benefit in having one place to discuss all of them in one place, however, versus any topics being swallowed amid all of the other discussion in the more generalized forums.

There is an inherent benefit in having one place to discuss all of them in one place, however, versus any topics being swallowed amid all of the other discussion in the more generalized forums.

Swallowed amid all what other discussion? Very little discussion takes place in the non-Bionicle forums as it is. If people wanted to discuss non-Bionicle video games, there's no reason why they couldn't do so in the current Ninjago Discussion and LEGO Discussion forums. Those forums could use the activity anyway. If video game discussions in these forums tend to die, it's not because of a flood of new discussions crowding them out, it's because people don't have very much to say about them.

As for Bionicle video games, there's only been one so far for G2, and discussions of the G1 video games tend to do just fine in the Bionicle Discussion forum until people run out of things to talk about. Because let's face it, they're old games, so there aren't a whole lot of new discoveries and developments to discuss. We can only talk about the things we loved best about Mata Nui Online Game for so long before everything we have to say has been said.

Another problem that I ought to bring up: LEGO Dimensions. Is it a toy? Is it a video game? It's kind of both. And yet it'd be extremely impractical to try and keep discussion of the toy aspects and the game aspects separate. Same goes for LEGO Fusion and other attempts to integrate physical and digital play.

• Upvote 1

Lego Dimensions is a video game. Every toy adds onto that video game, and expands the experience within the video game; any discussion of Lego Dimensions would belong within this video games sub-forum. Lego Fusion would be the same.

It is my opinion that TMD might be correct; the lack of topics discussing the video games might not be so much due to a lack of interest as it is a lack of a dedicated place to discuss them.

As far as Bionicle video games go, they -could- be discussed in this forum, but they are not (and should not) be the focus. The true focus of the forum would be to give members a dedicated location to talk about the new Lego video games that are being released each year, and all of the others that have released through the years; and under that umbrella, the Bionicle video games could fit.

Lego Dimensions is a video game. Every toy adds onto that video game, and expands the experience within the video game; any discussion of Lego Dimensions would belong within this video games sub-forum. Lego Fusion would be the same.

By that logic, wouldn't all discussion of the Hero Factory Breakout and Brain Attack sets go in the video games subforum? After all, Hero Factory Breakout and Brain Attack were mobile and online games, and every toy from those series added on to those mobile games and expanded the experience within those mobile/online games (via the codes on the Hero Cores they included).

Face it, LEGO Dimensions is both a video game AND a series of LEGO building sets. With some other toys-to-life games you might be able to convince somebody that the toys "aren't real toys" and are just glorified DLC, but with LEGO Dimensions the physical play potential is painfully obvious, and there are many people who will buy LEGO Dimensions packs solely for use as toys without having any interest in the digital contents.

Edited by Aanchir

Except that the Lego Dimensions packs only exist -because- of the game, and are specifically designed to enhance the gaming experience.

Yes, I realize that there are people who will collect the packs without playing the game (I do it myself for amiibo, and I know many people who collect other toys to life figures), but the building and collecting of the packs is still an integral part of the Lego Dimensions experience.

I wasn't trying to imply that the Lego Dimensions packs aren't real toy, because they are; and I never said anything about other toys to life games, although I still consider them to be real toys/figures regardless.

What you said about the Hero Factory sets does not apply, because the Brain Attack sets were not specifically designed to go along with and enhance the video game; the video game was instead designed to go along with and enhance the toys. The difference between those is obvious.

Edited by Lucina
  • Upvote 1

How about a general video games sub-forum (including LEGO games) because, lets face it, most people probably won't want to really talk about simply LEGO video games. I mean practically nobody talked about Chima, and yes LEGO video games are much more popular, I for one would really like an independent sub-forums for video games in general. (I really like UNDERTALE, and some other games. So being able to discuss them would really be a great service to people who like to talk about video games)

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

What you said about the Hero Factory sets does not apply, because the Brain Attack sets were not specifically designed to go along with and enhance the video game; the video game was instead designed to go along with and enhance the toys. The difference between those is obvious.

So if the Brain Attack situation is really the opposite of LEGO Dimensions, as you make it sound, and all LEGO Dimensions discussion (including discussion of the sets) would go in a video game discussion forum, does that mean all Brain Attack and Breakout discussion (including discussion of the online and mobile games) would go in a set discussion forum? After all, the games only exist to enhance the sets!

Regardless of whether the video games or toys came first, it makes no sense to have a double standard and have associated toy and video game discussion lumped together in the same forum for one theme but split apart into separate forums for every other theme.

There is one obvious solution, though: to not create a separate forum for video games. So far I've seen no compelling reasons for doing so, except the spurious notion that somehow the current forums can't support video game discussion and a video games subforum could. It takes more than just a dedicated forum to make people want to discuss something — otherwise, the LEGO Discussion, Ninjago Discussion, and Legends of Chima Discussion subforums would be thriving every month of the year, instead of just when there are new sets, new video games, or a new TV season to discuss. And if discussions of LEGO video games and online games don't tend to last long, it's not because BZPower members don't know where to find them.

We can try making a LEGO video games subforum. But I can't see it accomplishing anything except throwing a wrench into the current forum divisions and making the existing LEGO discussion forums even more starved for activity.

• Upvote 1

A Chima forum was opened without all this silliness and is now being closed because no one used it. That's that. Why can't something similar happen with this proposed sub-forum? If no one uses it then close it.

That can definitely happen. Judging from the voting in this topic so far, it probably will happen. I'm just frustrated that in the interim it'll mean even less activity for the subforum we're in right now, and potentially added confusion to discussions that might touch upon video games without being strictly and exclusively about them. I don't want us to get to a point where I can't make a comment about Nexo Powers in discussions of the LEGO Nexo Knights TV show or sets without being redirected to the Merlok 2.0 topic in the video games forum.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I think Dimensions is totally a video game.

I don't think anybody ever tried to argue that it's NOT a video game? I was just emphasizing that it's both a toy AND a video game, and it doesn't make sense to treat it as just one or the other, nor to separate discussion of the physical and digital components.

• Upvote 1

That can definitely happen. Judging from the voting in this topic so far, it probably will happen. I'm just frustrated that in the interim it'll mean even less activity for the subforum we're in right now, and potentially added confusion to discussions that might touch upon video games without being strictly and exclusively about them. I don't want us to get to a point where I can't make a comment about Nexo Powers in discussions of the LEGO Nexo Knights TV show or sets without being redirected to the Merlok 2.0 topic in the video games forum.

I honestly never realized I could post video game stuff in this sub-forum. I thought it was for sets only. I think other people are in the same boat as me? So hypothetically that would mean activity here wouldn't decrease?

I don't think anybody ever tried to argue that it's NOT a video game? I was just emphasizing that it's both a toy AND a video game, and it doesn't make sense to treat it as just one or the other, nor to separate discussion of the physical and digital components.

What I meant was that I'm with Lucina on this one.

• Upvote 1

I honestly never realized I could post video game stuff in this sub-forum. I thought it was for sets only. I think other people are in the same boat as me? So hypothetically that would mean activity here wouldn't decrease?

Really? Huh. I thought it was pretty clear that all LEGO discussion, whether about the sets or video games, goes here, same as how discussion of Bionicle video games is in Bionicle discussion. But if that really is a common misconception, maybe it's worth a shot after all...

My worry then is, how much other discussion (besides video game discussion) are we currently missing out on due to other related misconceptions, and is there any sensible way to address all of that at once? After all, video games aren't the only non-set content that this forum and the Ninjago Discussion forum currently encompass. There are also books, TV shows/specials, magazines, web-based media, and other kinds of media related to lots of different LEGO themes. Some people in this topic have suggested the possibility of having a general "media discussion" forum. I had been worried that approach might absorb too much content from not just these two forums, but also the Bionicle Discussion forum (where people don't seem to have much of a problem discussing media). Yet if people currently don't realize that this site has any place for media discussion... then something has to be done differently.

Another possibility: could just changing the forum names be enough to erase these misconceptions? i.e. changing "Bionicle Discussion" to "Bionicle Sets and Media Discussion", "Ninjago Discussion" to "Ninjago Sets and Media Discussion", and LEGO Discussion to "LEGO Sets and Media Discussion"? It's less succinct but it would make it harder for people not to realize that media discussion is not only accepted but encouraged in all three of these forums.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that no one took my idea into account, or at least no one has shown that they have.

pure_muscle.png

I see that no one took my idea into account, or at least no one has shown that they have.

BZPower is, first and foremost, a LEGO fansite (with a very strong focus upon Bionicle). The main purpose of this site is to discuss LEGO and their various properties; that's why we only have two off-topic forums (one for creative enterprises and one for pure discussion). While I would love to have a forum dedicated to video games as a whole, it's not going to happen - nor does it have to. It isn't what people come to BZPower to discuss. They come to discuss LEGO; they have other sites for everything else.

BZPower is a place of words rather than action.

Just because you don't see any action being taken does not mean there is none.

BZPower is, first and foremost, a LEGO fansite (with a very strong focus upon Bionicle). The main purpose of this site is to discuss LEGO and their various properties; that's why we only have two off-topic forums (one for creative enterprises and one for pure discussion). While I would love to have a forum dedicated to video games as a whole, it's not going to happen - nor does it have to. It isn't what people come to BZPower to discuss. They come to discuss LEGO; they have other sites for everything else.

Well... I know that some people do come to BZPower to talk about things besides LEGO related things (such as Pokémon mostly). So, to me a video game topic/sub-topic is quite feasible. Though, there already is a video game topic, but unfortunately it is mostly unused, and the reason why I feel that is because the general topic itself is just generally too broad for a single topic.

pure_muscle.png

Well... I know that some people do come to BZPower to talk about things besides LEGO related things (such as Pokémon mostly). So, to me a video game topic/sub-topic is quite feasible. Though, there already is a video game topic, but unfortunately it is mostly unused, and the reason why I feel that is because the general topic itself is just generally too broad for a single topic.

Then the solution is to create a topic specifically for discussion of the game and franchise you want to discuss, and see if it can sustain discussion on its own. There are already topics in COT about game franchises like Pokémon, outside of the general video game discussion topic, and I don't think there's anything stopping you from creating another similar topic. But that's not to say discussion there will be any more robust than in the general discussion topic—just having a topic of its own probably won't change much unless it's a game or franchise that gets new content on a semi-regular basis.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

• 3 weeks later...

Having talked with Black Six, I thought I'd add that the envisioned forum would include discussion of LEGO video games no matter what the theme - so it wouldn't just be a subforum of topics pulled from this one only (LEGO Discussion).

To me, this seems it may be a bit confusing, as it goes against the current organizational logic of the LEGO Discussion category's subforums. Aanchir makes a good point too:

We can try making a LEGO video games subforum. But I can't see it accomplishing anything except throwing a wrench into the current forum divisions and making the existing LEGO discussion forums even more starved for activity.

But I'd like to hear your thoughts!

Edited by -Windrider-

• 3 weeks later...

Initially, I had voted yes on this poll, but now, I wish I could change it to no.

As much as I would absolutely love to talk about Lego video games, it's becoming increasingly clear to me that I'm pretty much the only member on all of BZPower who is actually willing to commit to any significant discussion on such a subject. Specifically, I've been watching Black Six play on Twitch Tuesdays and I've been watching Bfa play Lego Racers and that old Bionicle game, and lately I'm literally the only person making any comments about what there was to see in those videos. I mean, if all people there are to talk about Lego video games is just one regular member, then what's the point of creating an entire subforum?

Many months ago, I once tried to start a topic about the Lego Movie Videogame, but the only responses it ever got was from one rather vocal hater. If I can't even enjoy a good discussion about my favorite Lego video game, then what's the point of creating an entire subforum?

Put simply, I had originally joined the hype and voted yes, but now that I've had time to seriously consider the full reality of everything involved, I would have to say that I would now much rather vote no. Personally, I think it's quite a shame, but I guess you can't always have nice things.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

Initially, I had voted yes on this poll, but now, I wish I could change it to no.

As much as I would absolutely love to talk about Lego video games, it's becoming increasingly clear to me that I'm pretty much the only member on all of BZPower who is actually willing to commit to any significant discussion on such a subject. Specifically, I've been watching Black Six play on Twitch Tuesdays and I've been watching Bfa play Lego Racers and that old Bionicle game, and lately I'm literally the only person making any comments about what there was to see in those videos. I mean, if all people there are to talk about Lego video games is just one regular member, then what's the point of creating an entire subforum?

Many months ago, I once tried to start a topic about the Lego Movie Videogame, but the only responses it ever got was from one rather vocal hater. If I can't even enjoy a good discussion about my favorite Lego video game, then what's the point of creating an entire subforum?

Put simply, I had originally joined the hype and voted yes, but now that I've had time to seriously consider the full reality of everything involved, I would have to say that I would now much rather vote no. Personally, I think it's quite a shame, but I guess you can't always have nice things.

It's okay bud, I'd join discussions with you.

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky