Best Mask

cjr205

Basing only off looks, what is the best mask in bionicle? Mask powers don't count, you should only judge it by how they look. You may say a specific color if you want, and official mask art for characters such as Surel and Kirbold are allowed.

Edited by cjr205

I'm a particular fan of the Avohkii. If I were to specify a color, I would go with a nice yellow-orange (Keetorange), I think it looks pretty good.

I quite enjoy the design of it, it simply looks heroic to me. I think that the thing that I like most about the mask design is the large amount of squares (or flats) in it. Very few parts of the mask actually end in a angular point which contrasts with other masks like the hau for example. Because it doesn't hold many angular designs in the mask (from the front), it gives the impression that it's not fierce. Certain masks give off a fierce expression while the avohkii's expression seems rather monotone bordering almost mystical. It looks like it embodies justice. It isn't good or bad, it is just.

This is particularly interesting to me because if you look at the avohkii from the side (like my avatar) it has many more angular designs than in the front. Because of this it makes it look more intimidating from the side than it does in the front. It makes it seem like you will never understand the "power" of the mask from merely being the enemy of it, once you're on its side will you truly be able to observe its fierceness in nature.

Perhaps I'm over analyzing the design but it simply is my favorite mask design. Maybe I'm relating the mask to the owner of the mask and Takanuva's attributes. Who knows? What I do know though is that to me it looks like it symbolizes heroism and justice. I do hope that they make a mask that looks similar to it in Gen 2, that would be neat.

~Soran

Edited by Soran
  • Upvote 1
soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

I'm a particular fan of the Avohkii. If I were to specify a color, I would go with a nice yellow-orange (Keetorange), I think it looks pretty good.

I quite enjoy the design of it, it simply looks heroic to me. I think that the thing that I like most about the mask design is the large amount of squares (or flats) in it. Very few parts of the mask actually end in a angular point which contrasts with other masks like the hau for example. Because it doesn't hold many angular designs in the mask (from the front), it gives the impression that it's not fierce. Certain masks give off a fierce expression while the avohkii's expression seems rather monotone bordering almost mystical. It looks like it embodies justice. It isn't good or bad, it is just.

This is particularly interesting to me because if you look at the avohkii from the side (like my avatar) it has many more angular designs than in the front. Because of this it makes it look more intimidating from the side than it does in the front. It makes it seem like you will never understand the "power" of the mask from merely being the enemy of it, once you're on its side will you truly be able to observe its fierceness in nature.

Perhaps I'm over analyzing the design but it simply is my favorite mask design. Maybe I'm relating the mask to the owner of the mask and Takanuva's attributes. Who knows? What I do know though is that to me it looks like it symbolizes heroism and justice. I do hope that they make a mask that looks similar to it in Gen 2, that would be neat.

~Soran

Wow. I wish everyone could be this detailed.

Great Kakama is adorable, Great Kaukau looks nice too. And I like what they did with Takua's mask in MoL. What I like about the original masks is that they're distinctive, but can be drawn easily from basic shapes- they pass the "doodle test". I think that's an important criteria when designing characters for children- it means that your character designs are going to be replicated thousands of times in drawings and crafts and homemade Halloween costumes, and its an image that will stick in their memories for years and years to come. Even the least artsy of us could easily draw a Great Hau from memory, but I'd struggle to draw any of the Phantoka-Mistika  era masks, even with a reference.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

It's hard to pick just one, but I usually choose Chirox's mask as my favorite.

qbG3Yq9.png

It's probably mostly because I have a soft spot for 2008, especially the Phantoka Makuta, and Chirox was my favorite of the three. I like the weird toothy design, the flared-up back, the shape of the eyes, and the silver blend. It just looks really evil and bat-like.

IetTsFQ.png

Other than any of the masks from the Mata Nui saga, I'd go with the first adaptive Miru Nuva. It has that perfect balance of simplicity and complexity. It reminds me of the Miru olda a lot while taking some elements from the standard Miru Nuva. I would have liked to see it in different colors, though.

Laughing_Man_Icon_by_CoyoteTracks.gif

Does anyone want to play the Master Chief Collection with me? I'm trying to get a team going for ranked. PM for GT.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the Great Kakama and the Avohkii.

Those masks are sweet. 

__________                                                   __                \______   \______  _  __ ___________  _____ _____    _______/  |_  ___________  |     ___/  _ \ \/ \/ // __ \_  __ \/     \\__  \  /  ___/\   __\/ __ \_  __ \ |    |  (  <_> )     /\  ___/|  | \/  Y Y  \/ __ \_\___ \  |  | \  ___/|  | \/ |____|   \____/ \/\_/  \___  >__|  |__|_|  (____  /____  > |__|  \___  >__|                               \/            \/     \/     \/            \/       

.•°•.The Eviscerator.•°•.