Set Review: 75116 Finn

Very good review!

Finn's head looks great. Like, surprisingly so. In early pics it seemed like it would impress me less than Rey's face, but everything about the face—the shape of the eyes, nose, and lips, the texture of the hair—looks almost exactly like the actor. The face does seem to reflect light almost a little too well, but that probably is more of an issue under bright studio lighting than it is otherwise.

The use of 32138 to attach the plates on the back may leave a bit of a gap but I can definitely understand the designer's intention—it helps to give the back a little more bulk. If you don't like it, it's not like it's a hard fix—I doubt any Constraction fan really has a shortage of black friction pins. :P

I agree with your frustrations with the legs being gappy. The use of the "Clone armor" shell on the legs of all of last year's sets may not have looked quite right on figures like Luke (who wore no such armor), but their added knee guard definitely helped the legs look more continuous. Perhaps at some point they can introduce a "knee" add-on that's as basic and versatile as the shoulderpads used on these figures, that can help to stretch the coverage of ordinary shells just a little bit farther.

The blaster looks fantastic and I almost wish Umarak had used a similar launcher in his bow (to make him more distinct from Skull Warrior), but of course it relies a lot on the specialized launcher housing which may be specific to the Star Wars license. That probably won't stop me from modding Umarak to use it if it works well enough. The spring shooter is a great piece and I stocked up on a few extras at my last con just to experiment with using them in Constraction MOCs.

I do have one nitpick—I seriously doubt the lightsaber hilt is actually chrome silver, based on the pictures. Chrome silver (Metalized Silver) is pretty recognizable, since the chrome finish makes it so that you can practically see your own reflection in the part. The more matte appearance of this part suggests that it's probably Cool Silver, Drum Lacquered, which is shinier and less streaky than Silver Metallic (Flat Silver) but isn't nearly as polished and reflective as Metalized Silver. I actually prefer lacquered silver to chrome silver, since the lacquer coating doesn't stick out as much and doesn't show scratches to nearly the same extent as chromed parts.

Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I do have one nitpick—I seriously doubt the lightsaber hilt is actually chrome silver, based on the pictures. Chrome silver (Metalized Silver) is pretty recognizable, since the chrome finish makes it so that you can practically see your own reflection in the part. The more matte appearance of this part suggests that it's probably Cool Silver, Drum Lacquered, which is shinier and less streaky than Silver Metallic (Flat Silver) but isn't nearly as polished and reflective as Metalized Silver. I actually prefer lacquered silver to chrome silver, since the lacquer coating doesn't stick out as much and doesn't show scratches to nearly the same extent as chromed parts.

Technically, Cool Silver, Drum Lacquered is no longer in use, and has been replaced with Silver Ink, which includes both matte/lacquered and metalized (chrome) versions. Visually, there isn't much difference between Cool Silver, Drum Lacquered and the matte/lacquered version of Silver Ink, and I'm not even totally sure whether the color itself has changed or just the terminology, but I thought I'd make that distinction.

Anyway, good review! I agree with most of the major points. The problem of the arms being too short seems negligible to me, since my own wrists are about level with my crotch when my arms are at rest, same as Finn's. His arms could maybe stand to be one module longer. This is an easy fix if you have the right parts — just replace the 5M beams and 4M shells in his upper arms with 6M beams and 5M shells (available in Sand Yellow from CHI Vardy). This is how many of the other buildable figures' arms are constructed, and I'm guessing the only reason LEGO didn't do that in this set is because the 5M Sand Yellow shells are no longer in production.

As for the knees, they DO look really knobbly, a problem he shares with Poe. In spite of not using the shells with knee guard, Rey manages not to have this problem to nearly the same extent due to the shells on the upper legs being reversed so they cover the knee. I'm not sure how well that'd work for Finn, though. The length of his legs doesn't really bother me. They're actually shorter than the legs of Luke, Phasma, and Obi-Wan, and about on par with the shorter figures from this series like Jango, Cody, and the First Order Stormtrooper.

And yeah, his head sculpt is fantastic. I'm glad it's fairly generic and doesn't include any sort of headgear, since that makes it a lot more versatile for MOCs. It's a fantastic likeness of John Boyega, only stylized ever so slightly so it echoes the crisp, well-defined contours of the building system. The expression is fairly neutral but doesn't feel lifeless. It's a perfect example of how the heads of these buildable figures should look.

Even though the torso shell is not optimized to represent a shirt and jacket, the armor texture is not too distracting. A more custom solution might've been nice but I don't know whether it would've been possible without making him too bulky. His overall costume design and color scheme make him a lot more interesting to me than the more monochrome and more generically-armored figures like Phasma, Kylo Ren, and the First Order Stormtrooper.

It's interesting that Finn is the only character with both a gear function and a blaster. When I saw the movie I was pleasantly surprised to see how accurate the blasters from these figures are to their on-screen counterparts. :)

Thanks for this review! Loved the hilarious image captions. It's great to see this series of figures evolve. It's only been two waves, and yet the current batch of sets really brings so many new things to the table that the first batch lacked.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 4

I do wonder why darth vader, luke  and obi wan did not receive a gearbox as well to make the lightsaber more fun to play with

Could be that the designers thought LEGO Star Wars fans would prefer more traditional action figures without a lot of "gimmicks". Or maybe they just knew that they didn't yet have all the pieces they would've needed to integrate a gearbox unobtrusively into an organic figure. After all, the new parts budget for that first wave was still going towards parts like the new torso, leg, and shoulder shells. Now that those parts are available the designers could focus their attention more on ways to enhance the figures' playability, like the new gearbox cover, torso beam, and blaster housing.

• Upvote 6

Well, I can now say I've seen Avak take off Fin's hand. :P

Anyways, Fin looks like a really cool set. The build of his torso looks great, and the fact that it has a gearbox like the 2015 Toa makes it even better.

Thanks for the review!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Looks like someone skipped leg day :P

I've gotta say, the head looks really nice. My biggest issue with these SW Ultrabuilds was the juxtaposition of the organic-looking face and the robotic body (which is why IMO the less-organic characters like Vader look alright), but I'm almost willing to forgive the clashing styles for that head piece.