Twitch Tuesday

Black Six

As much as I would love to see you reach 100% completion for the Lego Movie Videogame, I decided to instead vote for Force Awakens. Twitch Tuesdays have been awfully quiet lately, and since all the other games available to vote on have reached the freeplay stage, I think we can agree that it's time to add in a new game to the list. I think playing a brand new game right on the day it's released would be a great way to get more people interested in watching these streams. I know I was certainly excited when you decided to get Lego Dimensions as soon as it came out (though of course it completely sucks that you had to quickly give up on it due to technical issues). Besides, since I doubt I'll get this game myself anytime soon (still got a bunch of others to go through first), I suppose it would be nice at least watch someone else play it.

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

So LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens is a lot of fun! Having not played the last two TT Games offerings (LEGO Jurassic World and LEGO Marvel's Avengers) there have been a few new mechanics compared to LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham (and a TON compared to LEGO Star Wars: The Complete Saga (not so complete anymore)). I like the multi-builds, although it can be a bit frustrating if you do it in the wrong order (repeatedly). Overall I had a good time though, and look forward to more!

It certainly is quite nice to see all the new features introduced in this game. Of course, the multi-builds are a very interesting concept that I anticipate will be used again in future Lego games. There's also the updated graphics for both the button prompts and the character icons in the upper corners of the screen (and of course, it's always nice to be able to directly select characters like in the Lego Movie Videogame). I also find it interesting that the additional content (such as stories exclusive to this game) are only available after you obtain a certain amount of gold bricks, so I guess this means you'll just have to go through all the main story levels first.

I guess the prologue level (featuring the ending parts of Episode VI) was mostly a demonstration of all the cool features this game will have. Some mechanics are reused (such as grappling hooks and big handles (apparently no longer exclusive to big characters like Hulk)), some new ones are introduced (like the multi-build and droids apparently needing to fit digital puzzle pieces), and some mechanics that I don't think have been seen since Complete Saga itself (such as vehicle segments, only this time they seem to be done in a more first-person perspective).

As unlikely as I am to get this game anytime soon, it sure is nice to be able to watch someone else play it so that I'll know what to expect when the time eventually comes.

(I guess I should point out that I have not yet seen Force Awakens, but since I'm the kind of person who doesn't mind spoilers, I'm completely okay with watching footage of this game. After all, now that Lego games these days have character dialogue, I can actually understand what's going on, even though I haven't seen the source movie.)

Edited by Chronicler06

Tonight's episode is up! I am still not a fan of space battles, but oh well. Otherwise it was pretty fun.

Additionally, I realized the other day that the original LEGO Batman is backwards compatible on the Xbox One and that I own a digital copy of it. So that's been added to the voting for your consideration.

Yeah, it sure looked like you were having a lot of difficulty flying around in the vehicle portion for this week's level. It does make me wonder, though, do you find that the first-person perspective makes this game's vehicle portions easier than the third-person perspective of those from Complete Saga?

Aside from that, I'm glad you haven't too much difficulty yet (though you may want to consider hitting those question mark pads, because not only do they provide hints, by they also drop studs to collect). The main reason I never get a new game on its release day is because no one has yet written any guides (after all, they need to play through the game themselves before they can do that). Now that it's been over a week since release day, I decided to check that link to Lego game guides I had posted near the beginning of this topic and it looks like the guide for Force Awakens is now complete, so at least now you'll have something to help you out in case if you do get stuck later on.

Also, according to that guide, there are 12 story levels (ten, plus the prologue and the finale), with the addition of six adventure levels, so you might want to keep that in mind.

As for the first Lego Batman video game, interesting that you have a copy of that. I think that came out back in 2008 or 2009, so that would be from the time when the characters didn't speak. I think I'll wait until after you've finished with Force Awakens before voting for that game.

So that's level 3 completed on Force Awakens, and it looks like we can expect a progress of one level per week at this rate. If you're often wondering what a good stopping point would be, keep in mind that when you are in an area that requires following a trail of translucent studs to continue the story, then you're in a hub region between levels, so you can be sure that when you resume playing, you'll be right where you left off.

It seems the poll hasn't been reset yet for next week, so you might want to get to that at some point. There's also that question I asked last week that I'm still wondering what you think of.

Thanks for the reminder Chronicler, I knew there was something that I was forgetting this morning.

Yeah, it sure looked like you were having a lot of difficulty flying around in the vehicle portion for this week's level. It does make me wonder, though, do you find that the first-person perspective makes this game's vehicle portions easier than the third-person perspective of those from Complete Saga?

I find them both equally difficult using a controller instead of a joystick. I logged a lot of hours in flight simulators growing up (especially Star Wars: TIE Fighter) so when I'm in control of a plane or ship, I want to use a full joystick instead of a little thumbstick. The problem is part of my brain wants to control it like a plane (inverted flight controls) and the other part wants to control it like an FPS. As you've seen, the results are not pretty.

Quite a shame the game froze near the end of the latest stream, but at least you had already finished one level and probably will continue close to where you left off next time.

I recall from your first stream of this game a few weeks ago that you apparently need a certain amount of gold bricks to unlock the so-called adventure levels, so based on level complete screen we saw this week, it seems around five gold bricks were needed to unlock the first of them. No doubt, the rest of these additional levels will require even more gold bricks to unlock.

By the way, I found the part where Han Solo retrieved his hair from under a closing door to be a funny Indiana Jones reference. Lego games have been known to make frequent references between Indy and Han Solo, probably because they're played by the same actor, so it's nice to see that tradition continue in this latest game.

Nice work completing levels 5 and 6. Too bad you got stuck at the beginning of level 7, but I think I might have figured out what you kept missing. Basically, you need to have Finn use his lightsaber to cut something on the wall inside that frozen room. I guess the reason you kept missing it was because that partition between the two windows kept getting in the way. (I'll admit, it certainly took me a while to realize that myself, so don't feel too bad about it.) Just make sure to remember this bit of help when you play next week (you'll want to look for a red line somewhere on the wall to mark where that lightsaber needs to cut).

Anyway, since you're now just starting level 7, it seems you've just reached the halfway point of the story levels. Just curious, after the story levels are completed, would you be more interested in trying the six adventure levels, or would you rather move on to Lego Batman and go through story mode on that game?

The reason I ask is because I've noticed lately that only two people seem to be voting in this poll (and since I'm the only one who comments here each week, I'm sure everyone can easily guess that I'm one of them (which does make me wonder: Who's the other regular voter?)). I'd just like to hear your opinion, which can help me decide which game to vote for later on.

Edited by Chronicler06

Glad I could help. :)

Out of the twelve story levels (ten chapters plus prologue and finale), there are now only four left to go. Of the six adventure levels, I think only two or three of them have been unlocked so far, so it's possible some freeplay may be necessary to earn enough gold bricks to unlock the rest. We'll just have to wait and see.

Don't worry about me regarding certain spoilers that are sure to come in the last few levels. I willfully exposed myself to spoilers shortly after the movie came out since I doubted I would see it in theaters. Still haven't yet had the chance to see it, but I don't mind all that much. Interestingly, since I have not seen the movie, and since I often have difficulty understanding emotions, I honestly have no idea whether or not you're actually being serious whenever you say "Just like in the movie."

Interestingly, since I have not seen the movie, and since I often have difficulty understanding emotions, I honestly have no idea whether or not you're actually being serious whenever you say "Just like in the movie."

That's my attempt at dry sarcasm. When I'm saying that it usually means that what's going on is nothing like the movie. That's not necessarily a complaint - if it followed the movie verbatim there would be next to no puzzles to complete, less fighting, and it would be altogether a lot more boring. Some of the creative liberties they take are quite amusing and head-scratching though.

Yeah, I figured there would be parts added in that were never in the movie. I knew that was certainly the case for the Lego Movie and its video game, so it's easy to assume the same would apply to other Lego video games.

Anyway, level 8 is done (I actually laughed at the part where we saw the stormtrooper hot tub), so that now leaves just three story levels to go. It also seems like another adventure level was just unlocked, so I guess that's now three or four out of six (kinda lost count), which means it may be possible to unlock the rest without needing to collect additional gold bricks in freeplay.

Quite a shame the game ended up crashing just before you could finish the level. At least, according to the guide I've read, you were near the end of the level, and the final story level to come after it is relatively short. After that, I guess you'll just need to figure out where to go to play the six adventure levels. From what I've seen, the level select options in this game is less like other Lego games we've seen here and more like the Lego Movie Videogame: you need to know where to find each and every one of them, rather than selecting them all in one place.

Also, I think I may now have a favorite quote from this game: "I could just walk over and pick it up, but it wouldn't be nearly as cool!"

(By the way, this poll hasn't yet been reset, so I can't vote for next week just yet.)

Yeah, it looks like I'm going to have to completely replay that level, unfortunately.

Thanks again for the reminder about updating. I always mean to do it first thing Wednesday morning and then the day happens...

I'm sure there's a guide that shows how I can access the levels, so I'm not too owrried about that. So far, it's been a lot of fun and I don't want to stop.

Last week, you had said you would be streaming on Wednesday, so I had no idea you would instead do it on Monday until after the stream had already ended. I thought I could watch the recording later, but half of the audio has been completely cut out. It really sucks to see how much I can miss out on this if I don't watch it live.

Due to the lack of audio in the recording, I have no idea at all what you said, if anything, at the end of the stream. In fact, I honestly don't know what to vote for this week. There's the six adventure levels for Star Wars: Force Awakens, there's all of the story levels for the original Lego Batman, there's the DLC levels for Batman 3, and then my personal preference would be freeplay of Lego Movie Videogame.

I think I'll just skip the vote entirely this week and see what happens next time.

Seeing as any of the levels can be selected directly from that map room, I think I'll be okay with seeing the bonus levels. I also decided to take a look at the guide on Steam to at least see the names of these levels:

Poe to the Rescue

Lor San Tekka's Return

Rathtar Hunting

The Crimson Corsair

Trouble Over Taul

Ottegan Assault

You just did the first two on this list, and I seem to recall that you unlocked the last one not too long ago. Perhaps you could check the map room to see if the rest of these levels are also unlocked, and if not, find out exactly how many gold bricks would be needed to unlock them. Either way, I hope this list will be helpful. (And if you need to find more gold bricks, perhaps a quick look at that guide on Steam can tell you where to easily find some.)

Since we just saw two of these bonus levels, I've decided that I'll continue voting for Force Awakens, but once all six of these levels have been completed, I'll probably begin voting for something else.

Last night's episode is posted!

Here's a question for the audience: would you care (or maybe even you'd prefer it) if I did some free play off stream (or on a non-scheduled stream) to collect the gold bricks? This way on Tuesdays we could jump right into the bonus levels.

I'm not saying I'll do it even if people are okay with it, as it all depends on my schedule, but it's just a thought I had.

I honestly wouldn't mind either way. (Personally, I'm hoping to eventually get around to playing every available Lego video game at some point, myself, so it's not like I'll never know what I could miss out on.)

Though if you want a lot of gold bricks in a short amount of time, try exploring the hub regions instead of trying freeplay levels. You only get one gold brick for collecting all ten minikits, so if all you really want is gold bricks, I would suggest you ignore freeplaying the levels and instead focus on the hub regions (you already found some inside the Millennium Falcon, so I'm sure you'll find some more). In fact, it's a good thing you apparently found a guide to help you through finding all the collectibles for this game, because I have a feeling it'll really come in handy for finding gold bricks in the hub regions.

By the way, I think I might have figured out how you can activate red bricks in this game. Whenever you use the quick character select (the circle of eight options), the option in the bottom-left icon is apparently always a red brick, so perhaps that is where you can access red brick abilities.

Also, based on my observations regarding freeplay mode on the levels, it seems that if you had previously found a minikit, then in future playthroughs of that level, you will instead receive a blue stud (1000 studs) in its place. The same concept applies to red bricks, except you'll receive a purple stud (10,000 studs).

Edited by Chronicler06

• 2 weeks later...

I made a few observations in yesterday's stream that I think may be helpful. First, even though you had purchased the X2 Studs red brick, I noticed that the stud count was only going up at the normal rate, so I'm guessing that you may need to select that red brick again to actually activate it. Second, I noticed in that caption at the bottom of the screen that the carbonite blocks you collect can be brought to the Rebel Base to unlock characters, so I think this means that collecting these carbonite blocks is the only way to unlock certain playable characters. And third, if I remember correctly, the way to check to see how many gold bricks you've collected from certain areas is to check those areas on the star map.

Just three more bonus levels left to go, so I'll be voting for Force Awakens again.

So it looks like you've got only 5 more gold bricks left to collect before the last of the bonus levels are unlocked. (Even though I noticed there was also another one on the Starkiller Base, that level apparently requires collecting literally every gold brick in the game to unlock, so I'm considering that one not worth it for Twitch Tuesday.) Seeing as you've already gotten many of the easy ones from Takodana, perhaps try going for some from one of the other hub worlds, like Jakku. Looking back at the list I made a few weeks ago, it looks like the last two bonus levels left to play are Trouble Over Taul and Ottegon Assault.

I'll be voting this week for Force Awakens, but once the bonus levels are all complete, I'll be more interested in seeing a different game. Of all the games to choose from, the ones that have not been played yet are Batman and the Hobbit, and between those two, I'm personally leaning towards Batman.

With that I think we've pretty much wrapped things up for LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens. As noted by Chronicler06, the only other bonus level left requires me to get almost all of the other gold bricks, which would take quite a while. My personal opinion is that it's time to move on to a new game at this point.

I'm actually not surprised much that the last few bonus levels to unlock involve playing as the bad guys. It just seemed like a rather natural way for the game content to be organized, in my opinion.

As I mentioned last week, of the available games on this list, I've decided to vote for Batman (the first one). Seeing the results of the poll now, let's hope some other people decide to vote this week to break the current tie.

I never had any interest in high fantasy such as the Hobbit, but I will say that I find even this Lego game interesting (and considering that I still place this game at the very bottom of my list of Lego games that I'd like to try someday, that's really saying something). I certainly wasn't expecting it to have features like the building platform that I had previously assumed was exclusive to the Lego Movie game, and the crafting system seems to add an interesting dynamic to the whole game.

I suppose I'll be okay with voting for Hobbit for the next few weeks. There are a total of sixteen levels (based on what I saw in a guide), and since the first three were completed in just the first stream alone, I have a feeling this game might be finished relatively quickly. (Besides, I'm sure it'll be more appropriate to see one of the Lego Batman games at around the time the Lego Batman Movie comes out next February.)

I suppose one thing to keep in mind for this game is that loot, just like studs, tend to disappear if you don't pick them up quickly enough, so be sure you got everything you can grab before trying to smash something else. Also keep in mind that only Gandalf can enter dark places (which means you missed an opportunity to grab a minikit you had found in a dark place, but didn't use Gandalf to reach it).

One thing I forgot to mention last week has to do with the game music. I know you said it was to prevent these videos from being taken down or muted, but I seem to recall it was only the Star Wars games that had this trouble. I'm not sure if the same would apply to the Hobbit (after all, it does use dialogue taken directly from the movies), but I'm sure that most of the other games listed here probably won't have that issue at all, so be sure to keep this in mind when it's eventually time to move on to another game.

One thing I forgot to mention last week has to do with the game music. I know you said it was to prevent these videos from being taken down or muted, but I seem to recall it was only the Star Wars games that had this trouble. I'm not sure if the same would apply to the Hobbit (after all, it does use dialogue taken directly from the movies), but I'm sure that most of the other games listed here probably won't have that issue at all, so be sure to keep this in mind when it's eventually time to move on to another game.

Pretty much all of our Twitch games have received notices about music at some point or other. I usually use YouTube's tools to remove the songs, but had never really gone back to check out the audio quality as a result. So it is a consistent issue.

One more level completed, so I think that means there's now ten story levels left to go for this game. Based on what we saw of the hub region so far, I'm starting to think that it's set up much like the one we see in Marvel Superheroes: Just a single very massive area to explore, with the only thing making it easier to navigate is that it's divided into numerous named sections.

I guess you're unfortunate tendency to fall off ledges may not be limited to the Star Wars games after all. Anyway, this level sure turned out to be quite longer than the others. I did like how it the part with Gollum's riddles was done for this game, so that was rather interesting.

6 out of 15 levels completed, and I'll vote for Hobbit once again.

I guess you're unfortunate tendency to fall off ledges may not be limited to the Star Wars games after all. Anyway, this level sure turned out to be quite longer than the others. I did like how it the part with Gollum's riddles was done for this game, so that was rather interesting.

6 out of 15 levels completed, and I'll vote for Hobbit once again.

I am equally bad at it everywhere, lol.

The riddles were interesting, being turned more into puzzles, but it definitely lost something in the translation. It was still probably my favorite part of the level though, since it was a boss fight without actual fighting.

Nice to see the next few levels were quick enough that you were able to complete three of them, despite the game crashing at one point. I've never seen any of the Hobbit movies, but I'm assuming the transition from the first movie to the second happened between two of these levels, pretty much the midway point of the game's story mode (since I recall the third movie was not included at all).

9 levels done and 6 more to go, and I'll again vote for Hobbit.

Nice to see the next few levels were quick enough that you were able to complete three of them, despite the game crashing at one point. I've never seen any of the Hobbit movies, but I'm assuming the transition from the first movie to the second happened between two of these levels, pretty much the midway point of the game's story mode (since I recall the third movie was not included at all).

9 levels done and 6 more to go, and I'll again vote for Hobbit.

The first movie ends around where the Eagles save the Dwarves from the trees, so yeah, we're about halfway.

I think we'll be finishing this before the end of the year, and then likely moving on to the original LEGO Batman. The question is: what's next? Do we go back to games we've beaten and do Free-Play mode? Or do I look into picking up some of the other games we haven't played?

Had some lagging issues with this week's stream, but that may have been more on my end (hard to tell when no one uses the chat and I'm practically the only one watching every week). Prior to watching you play this game, I knew very little about the Hobbit, but I was aware of a part that involved the group riding down a river in a bunch of barrels, so I liked seeing a level in this game feature that part.

If I'm keeping count correctly, there are now four levels left to go, so I'll once again vote for Hobbit.

To answer your question from last week, here's what I'm thinking. After the original Batman, perhaps you could then go through the DLC levels of Batman 3. (That could ensure you're still playing a Lego Batman game by the time the Lego Batman Movie comes out.) After that (assuming you don't acquire any additional games), I was thinking you could then go for freeplay mode in the Lego Movie Videogame. (Do you still have those guides I sent you a while ago? Since you haven't played that game in a while, I think my guides would be very helpful.) As I've watched all the other Lego games you've played through, it's become increasingly clear to me that Lego Movie appears to be a relatively quick and simple game, so if there's any game on this list for which you could actually achieve 100% completion, I believe the Lego Movie Videogame would be your best bet.

I think the only other games I could get that I could easily stream on the Xbox One are Pirates of the Caribbean, Jurassic World, and Marvel's Avengers. I will keep my eyes peeled for some good deals on those, but I think after LEGO Batman going back and trying to finish some of the others sounds like a good idea. I definitely have your guides somewhere, so I'll be sure to use those.