Twitch Tuesday

Black Six

Since there are five levels per movie and I've counted only four so far for the second movie, then it seems there's only one level left to go before we reach the halfway point of this game. For this week's stream, I certainly remember seeing the part with the tall grass, and since nobody every actually dies in this game, I knew there were going to be plenty of funny moments and dialogue throughout that level (I especially liked that lawnmower).

Of the four Jurassic Park movies, the one that I've seen the least of is the third one, so I'll be looking forward to what we'll see over the next few weeks. And at the pace we're going, this game could be finished by the end of May, after which I will definitely be looking forward to seeing Lego City Undercover. (I find the great thing about waiting a little while before playing a new game is that it takes some time for complete guides to be written, and I recently noticed on that list of guides I had posted near the beginning of this topic that the one for Lego City Undercover is still incomplete, so I'm sure that by the time you get to playing that game you won't have to worry about not knowing what to do in case if you ever get stuck somewhere.)

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

Since you mentioned you might not have much time next week due to BrickFair, I guess it's a good thing you got a little more than two levels done this week. Even though I've seen almost nothing from the third movie, I can tell that the trend of having none of the characters actually die is still part of this game (and apparently in most cases, such characters simply run away screaming and are never seen again).

Anyway, I noticed many of the recent non-weekly votes (as in not mine or yours) were for Lego City Undercover. Based on the videos I've seen (of the earlier Wii-U version at least), it seems to be quite an extensive game that might take a while. Seeing as we've already passed the halfway point in Lego Jurassic World, I'm still voting to keep going and finishing this game before moving on to Lego City Undercover (despite how I can't wait to see you try that game).

• Upvote 1

Since you mentioned you might not have much time next week due to BrickFair, I guess it's a good thing you got a little more than two levels done this week. Even though I've seen almost nothing from the third movie, I can tell that the trend of having none of the characters actually die is still part of this game (and apparently in most cases, such characters simply run away screaming and are never seen again).

Anyway, I noticed many of the recent non-weekly votes (as in not mine or yours) were for Lego City Undercover. Based on the videos I've seen (of the earlier Wii-U version at least), it seems to be quite an extensive game that might take a while. Seeing as we've already passed the halfway point in Lego Jurassic World, I'm still voting to keep going and finishing this game before moving on to Lego City Undercover (despite how I can't wait to see you try that game).

I am definitely one of the people who votes for Lego City Undercover whenever I remember to vote at all. Because as one of the few, the proud, the Wii U owners, I LOVED LCU, which I enjoyed far more than any of the licensed Lego games. I haven't even watched any of the Jurassic Park movies all the way through, so I don't have any interest in that game. No offense to anyone who wants to finish off the current game before jumping to a new one—that's a perfectly valid impulse and if I cared about the game I'd probably feel the same way. But until I get to see a LCU playthrough from my good good friends at BZPower I don't really have much interest in tuning in. :P

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

For those wondering when you'll get to see the next game (which will almost certainly be Lego City Undercover), I'm always keeping track of the number of levels in a game, how many have been done, and how many are left to go. In this case, in Lego Jurassic World, there are twenty levels, five for each movie. If I've been counting correctly, as of yesterday's stream, there is now one level left for Jurassic Park III, then there's the five levels of Jurassic World, so that's a total of six levels left to go. If the usual pace of two levels per stream continues, then that means it will take three more weeks to complete this game.

In other words, I anticipate we'll be ready for LCU by the end of this month. For now, I'll continue to watch the rest of Lego Jurassic World. (And since I've actually seen much of the last movie, I'll be able to know how the game differs from the movie.)

I have to say, that certainly was really weird what happened at the end of the latest stream. You mentioned that you had tried switching to the other two characters, but it somehow wouldn't let you do that. What you said you had tried to do is what I would have tried, and I later decided to check the guide and even that says that you're supposed to do exactly what you were trying to do.

The only explanation that I can think of is that you might have somehow encountered a glitch, and my recommended solution would be to simply restart the level and hope it doesn't happen again. Quite a shame it had to happen right before a save point (at least according to the guide), so let's hope that it doesn't happen again next week. If it does and you can't figure out a way to progress any further through the game, well... this game for Twitch Tuesdays may have to go the way of Lego Dimensions (which would be a huge letdown).

Latest episode is up! No technical difficulties tonight, just a late start.

I've also reset the poll - as mentioned on the stream and on the front page, there's a sale going on for backward-compatible Xbox games, so I picked up Indiana Jones and Pirates of the Caribbean. Since that left only one game in the second question, it's been removed.

Glad to see last week's issue really was nothing more than a glitch that was solved by simply restarting the level. And quite a long level that turned out to be, but good that the level after that was rather short. This now leaves just three more levels left to go before Jurassic World is completed. With any luck, one of those levels might also be short and we could see the game finished in just one more stream. (If that's the case, I'd like to mention that I've heard there's a post-credits scene that references Lego Dimensions (which came out only a few months after this game), so be sure to keep an eye out for that.)

My vote this week goes to Jurassic World. Once that game's done, I would next like to see Lego City Undercover.

Looks like most of the levels for the fourth movie are rather long. Well, at least we're now very close to the end. I did like that little gag where the three guys who were supposed to have died in the first movie (but instead just got left behind in this game) were shown hiding in a jeep and had long beards. :lol:  Another minor detail I saw was during the part when the pterosaurs attacked, where among the random people under attack, I was pretty sure one of them looked just like Marty McFly based on the hair and color of his clothes.

Anyway, I think there's now only one level left to go before story mode on Lego Jurassic World is finally completed. Be sure to check the post-credits cutscene for the Lego Dimensions reference I previously mentioned.

Only one level, a rather long one, and a rather late start, everything pretty much worked out to finally finish story mode of Jurassic World this week.

Next week, it's time to move on to a new game, and as I've been mentioning for a while now, my vote goes to Lego City Undercover.

Based on the videos I've seen, this game is quite different from most of the Lego games we've seen here so far. There's a lot of story material going on in the hub area (all of Lego City), the story is divided into 15 "chapters", and the levels as we're familiar with are actually called "special assignments" with each chapter having either one, two, or none of them. Characters and vehicles are unlocked not by completing levels, but rather by collecting tokens throughout the game (both in the massive hub area and during the special assignments). Finally, all of the abilities needed to progress or reach bonus items are given by different outfits you can switch between, which you'll unlock as the story progresses.

Of course, since this game is an updated version that includes the additional option of two-player co-op, it'll be interesting to see how this version differs from the Wii-U version I've seen in the videos.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, for this game, could you please leave the music on? This game is not a licensed theme at all, so I see no reason at all why it should be disabled. Not to mention, from what I heard in the videos, I really liked a lot of the music (especially how epic it gets on the very last part of the story) so I think that you should make an exception for this particular game and not disable the music.

Edited by Chronicler06

I had some issues watching the stream on my desktop and had to use my laptop instead. I had to later watch the recording to catch the parts I missed, and I'm pleased to say that all of the audio (including the music I insisted on) comes through just fine.

Anyway, it's nice to see how this new version is different from the old Wii-U version. Most notably, without a game pad providing a second screen, all of the game content has to be on the main screen, so after having already seen the Wii-U version only through YouTube videos, this is actually the very first time I've seen certain features like navigation, calling other people, and the criminal scan. In addition, the loading screen (which for the Wii-U version was just a spinning police badge) features mini-models along with helpful (and/or funny) words of advice from Frank Honey. Also, Chase appears to be wearing a slightly different police uniform (a dark blue shirt and gloves, instead of a light blue shirt and no gloves).

One feature about this game I forgot to mention is that you not only collect studs (which can be spent to purchase characters and vehicles you've unlocked), but also a second set of parts called "bricks", which can be spent to create "super builds" on large baseplates throughout the city and on certain levels. Breaking objects will give you bricks instead of studs, though you do still earn studs from completing builds and other special actions. In addition, breaking objects by hitting them with a vehicle (including ramming into other vehicles) will instantly add those bricks to your count, without needing to run around and pick them up. You had mentioned seeing a multiplier at one point while driving around; that's the brick multiplier, and you earn it by simply destroying as many objects as quickly as possible while driving around, though it does wear off if you don't keep up the destruction.

Kinda unfortunate that you can't read the hints at the bottom of the screen due to Twitch features. I could see them in the stream just fine, and (if i remember some occasions correctly) since you apparently use some device to check that the stream is working before you start playing, maybe you could keep that handy just to see what's being said on the bottom of the screen.

So it looks like you tend to have difficulty driving vehicles around, like in virtually every other game we've seen so far. I guess this means that, in addition to falling off ledges, another thing you'll want to avoid is driving into walls (because that can actually damage and eventually destroy your vehicle, as you'll notice with the number of hearts). I would suggest you try to get some practice, because some of the missions later on in the story will be on a time limit, which means that (unlike what we see in virtually every other Lego game) it will be possible to actually fail certain missions (though I don't know what would happen should that occur, nor am I even sure if this feature is in this newer version of the game).

Slow start? That was more like a "barely start". Spending so much time wandering around aimlessly until you eventually got enough bricks to build that ferry, and only had just barely enough time to reach the very start of the next Special Assignment. To be honest, this was one of those times when I really wished I could have used the chat to tell you where to find that large super-brick and how to reach it (I actually had consider making a Twitch account so I could do so for this game in particular, but I'm still a little reluctant about it.)

Perhaps it might be a good idea to remind you of that list of guides I had posted near the beginning of this topic. Although the guide for Lego City Undercover is still technically incomplete, the story portion of it is complete, so if you ever get stuck, you can always check on that for help. Don't forget, breaking objects will give you bricks, and you can get a temporary multiplier if you use a vehicle to destroy as much as possible as quickly as possible. Also keep in mind that for every super build you'll encounter that's relevant to following the story, you'll always find enough super-bricks close by (no need to go all the way into another district like you did), so you just need to figure out where they are and how to reach them.

Hopefully we'll get to see a lot more progress next time. At least it was nice to see that "Shawshank Redemption" reference (especially considering that the actor being mentioned/denied ended up playing a role in The Lego Movie just one year after this game first came out). This game makes a lot of pop culture references, so be sure to keep your eye out for more throughout the story mode.

Edited by Chronicler06

Good progress made this week, completing both special assignments of Chapter 3. In addition, both the Robber and the Miner disguises have been unlocked, so some places are now accessible. Also, good idea collecting any super-bricks you can reach (like on that rooftop near the mine), so that even if you miss one or two later on, you might still have enough to complete super-builds. Yet, it's also a good idea to collect all the super-bricks you can find close to the super-builds (like that cable car in the mine) so you won't have to worry about spending too many of them.

Anyway, I've noticed that every time this game is loaded, you'll always appear right in front of the police station, regardless of wherever you left off. So next week, since the next destination is in the Bluebell district, remember to go to the train station near the police station so you can quickly get much closer to where you'll need to go next.

By the way, since you said you prefer to use the train as often as possible, would you be interested if I gave you a list of where you can find and unlock all the other train stations? I could search through the guide and copy the parts describing where to find them in each district, for your convenience.

By the way, since you said you prefer to use the train as often as possible, would you be interested if I gave you a list of where you can find and unlock all the other train stations? I could search through the guide and copy the parts describing where to find them in each district, for your convenience.

While I appreciate it, I think I'll be okay. I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of things and won't get better if I don't try.

Well, it's nice to see you're getting a little better at driving vehicles (good thing too, because I think the first timed mission might be coming up soon). Also, now that you've acquired advanced combat, be sure to remember that you can always pick up and throw enemies at others (this will come in handy much later on). And to answer one of your questions, the bridge you drove across that resembles San Fransisco's Golden Gate Bridge is referred to in this game as the "Auburn Bay Bridge".

Well, it's nice to see you're getting a little better at driving vehicles (good thing too, because I think the first timed mission might be coming up soon). Also, now that you've acquired advanced combat, be sure to remember that you can always pick up and throw enemies at others (this will come in handy much later on). And to answer one of your questions, the bridge you drove across that resembles San Fransisco's Golden Gate Bridge is referred to in this game as the "Auburn Bay Bridge".

Thanks for the tips and heads up!

Since you were apparently trying to just hit enemies instead of trying to throw them, I decided to check last week's video to see if different buttons are involved in combat (since you've stated before that your Twitch thing prevents you from reading any prompts at the bottom of the screen) Here's what I read during the part where you were training inside the dojo:

Press (X) to Quick Throw an enemy; Press (Y) when an enemy strikes to counter an attack; Press (B) to grab an enemy; (after grabbing an enemy) Hold (X) to show the targeting circle. Move it over a prop or enemy and release (X); (while trying to grab an enemy) Press (B) repeatedly to overpower a strong enemy.

So it seems to me that what you're missing is that you have to press B to grab enemies. This could be why some of the ones you fought in this week's stream kept getting back up, because you need to actually grab them (and overpower them, as they're likely the stronger enemies). You might want to consider trying this the next time you're fighting a bunch of enemies (and like I said, this ability will become necessary much later in the story).

Also, since you've come across some Metro stations, I should point out that these are actually train stations you can unlock. All you have to do is go down the stairs, smash the machine at the bottom, and rebuild the pieces to unlock the station. I won't specify where to find them all (as you politely requested), but at least now you'll know how to unlock them once you stumble across them.

Finally, now that we got to see what happens when you fail a mission, I'm glad to see that it appears to be no serious problem at all. All progress done during failed attempts will still be saved, so it's simply a matter of keep trying again and again until you eventually succeed.

I honestly don't know what to say this week...

Falling a few times on the free-run course, failing countless times on the motorcycle time trial, then starting a level (special assignment in this game) right at what I thought would've been a good time to end for the night, forcing you to rush through the final part of that level by not even bothering to search for any of the super bricks worth a total of the 30,000 needed for that super build (not to mention, you'll now end up starting next week's stream right in the middle of a driving mission, which I'm sure you would not prefer). There are a lot of ways things could have gone better this week, but I'll hold myself back from ranting any further since I'm not intending to insult anyone.

I guess all I can say is that I should probably not expect everyone to eventually completely master just about every type of game out there. At least we can say there were no technical issues at all, this week.

Anyway, thanks for letting us know about next week's changed schedule.

Strange that this week's stream started on the final part of that bank robbing mission, but at least that allowed you to actually collect all the bricks and studs you could get in that room (as opposed to skipping all of that like you did last week).

And then later on, the next disguise to be unlocked was the astronaut, and the next level (aka, special assignment) took place inside the space launch center. Pretty good timing there, considering today happens to be the anniversary of the first Moon landing. Not to mention, space is one of my favorite Lego themes, so that level is actually among my favorites in this game.

I had to stop watching the live stream at 9:00 due to other things I had going on, but at least I was able to watch the rest of it a few hours later on the YouTube video. In fact, I typically can't continue watching past 9:00 on most Tuesdays lately, and seeing how late the last two streams have run, I would prefer sticking with the usual 7:30 start. But that's just my preference, and I understand that you have your own schedule to work around.

Looks like everything went relatively well this week. My only complaint is that you're apparently still not attempting to grab and throw enemies, and have instead decided to use a technique of waiting until they try to hit you and then hit them back. That's fine, but as I keep pointing out, there will eventually come a part of the game where the only way to advance is to pick up and throw enemies at a target, so I would recommend at least practicing it while it's still just optional. (Just a reminder, the captions you couldn't see said that you have to press (B) to grab enemies so you can then throw them at something or someone else. Instead of hitting (X) to simply hit them or hitting (Y) to hit back when they try to strike you, try to hit (B) instead.)

Well, thanks for letting us know there won't be a stream next week. Have fun at BrickFair.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems your inability to see those captions at the bottom of the screen was once again problematic, as it took you some time to figure how to use the chicken glide ability of the farmer disguise. Thankfully, it didn't take quite as long as I feared, and you had enough time this week to complete the chapter (albeit it was a relatively short chapter). I just hope you can remember which buttons to hit to make it work, so you won't have to spend extra time trying to relearn it next week. (And also hopefully figure out how to grab and throw enemies. In fact, I'm pretty sure one of the hints on the loading screen at the beginning of this week's stream was about how to use that very ability. Go rewatch the first few minutes of the video and you'll see what I mean.)

Edited by Chronicler06

Based on what I've seen this week and last week, it seems that when chicken gliding, if you fail to pass through all of the stud rings, you'll be able to immediately start over again without having to run all the way back to the top of the building (so to me, the thing you'd really want to avoid is falling off the destination building after you've completed the chicken glide, because then you would have to actually go all the way back to the start). Also, at the first part of the museum, I think there was a minor glitch, because I'm pretty sure we were supposed to actually see that race car zoom off its stand, go down the hallway, and smash into that thing at the other end. Not much else to say this week (other than the usual hope that you'll eventually figure out how to grab and throw enemies), so I'll just say that I'll once again be looking forward to next week's stream.

I feel bad because after so long wanting to watch LCU, I just haven't enjoyed the streams as much as I had hoped to. Part of that's been being at work all day and not having the energy to watch a weekly livestream, but another part of it is that I just don't get as much out of watching a solitary player play the game over the internet as I might playing the game myself or with a friend. That probably is more my fault than the fault of the streams, though...

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I feel bad because after so long wanting to watch LCU, I just haven't enjoyed the streams as much as I had hoped to. Part of that's been being at work all day and not having the energy to watch a weekly livestream, but another part of it is that I just don't get as much out of watching a solitary player play the game over the internet as I might playing the game myself or with a friend. That probably is more my fault than the fault of the streams, though...

I personally have enjoyed watching these streams. After all, it was thanks to Twitch Tuesday that I became so interested in all the other Lego video games that I decided to try them out myself. (I've already purchased most of them, but have not yet gotten around to trying any of them.) As for the one featured game that I've already played (Lego Movie Videogame), I had simply liked that game so much that I was interested in seeing how someone else would do with it (thus getting me interested in Twitch Tuesdays in the first place). The only downside is how boring it can get when the gamer gets stuck somewhere and can't figure out where to go or what to do (especially if I can figure it out before they do).

Anyway, this week's stream went very well. Not only is the firefighter disguise now unlocked, but also it looks like you've finally figured out how to grab and throw enemies, so now we won't have to worry about whether or not you'll be able to even finish the game's story (the main reason I haven't specified when that ability would become essential is because I felt like it would be too much of a spoiler to the story). As for how much of the game's story is left to go, even though there are now five "chapters" left, there are also six "levels" to go, because some chapters can have two levels while others have none. With all the additional stuff there is to do in the city between levels, I think it's fair to say that this is one of the longest series of story mode content in any Lego video game. Don't get me wrong, I'm still very interested in seeing the rest of the story mode, but it'll probably be quite a while before we see the end of Lego City Undercover on Twitch Tuesdays.

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot to mention. If you're wondering what the "crash mats" that were unlocked are for, I believe they are locations where you can literally jump out of a flying vehicle without having to land it.

Edited by Chronicler06

Edit: Oh, I almost forgot to mention. If you're wondering what the "crash mats" that were unlocked are for, I believe they are locations where you can literally jump out of a flying vehicle without having to land it.

Ah, good to know!

As far as the future of Twitch Tuesday goes, I'm guessing after we finish the LEGO City Undercover story we'll go on to another game rather than doing everything there is to do in the city. I've got three more games in the backlog, plus we have LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 coming out later this year. At some point I need to pick up the schedule if we're ever going to catch up!

When you were on the rooftops, I was honestly worried that if you fell off, you'd have to go all the way back to and up the first building, but I was glad to see that you just simply get brought back onto the roof, like with an incomplete chicken glide. The was one point where I was quite surprised that you seemed to forget one of your oldest mantras on these Lego games: "When in doubt, destroy everything."

At the end of the level, that part with the ridiculously slow bicycle is one of my favorite gags in the entire game. :lol:

Three and a half chapters, five levels left to go. The next two levels are ones I'm particularly looking forward to (along with the very last level).

I guess we have different likes, because in the two levels from this week's stream, I liked the music in the first one, and in the second one I liked that Arnold-type and his many references (not to mention my favorite quite in the entire game, where he complains about "which stupid set the building on fire").

By the way, I'm sure that the shield part you missed in the second level was for those coffee benches, which you could've done using the newly-unlocked construction disguise. (There's more of those coffee benches to find throughout the city, much like how the other disguises have other tasks to do.) Also, when you found that pig on the roof, what you were supposed to do was ride it and follow the green arrow to the nearest pig cannon, then shoot that cannon to send that pig back to the farm (so that's another disguise-specific task to be done throughout the city).

Almost at the end of Chapter 12, so now just thee levels and three chapters left to go.

Nice progress done this week. Both levels of Chapter 13 completed, so now that just leaves chapters 14 (mostly just racing the clock in the city) and 15 (with the epic final level). Quite a shame you said there would be no stream next week as I'm really looking forward to seeing you go through that final level, but I can wait an extra week. Not sure where the game will let you resume next time (from what I've seen, I've felt that where you had started this week was the latest point in the story where you could resume at the police station), but since you actually purchased a vehicle after completing the latest level, I have a feeling it'll start you off with the cutscene on the helipad. (By the way, if you're wondering why you couldn't seem to fly over some mountains, I noticed on the minimap in the corner of the screen that there are apparently impassible barriers on the map, regardless of how high up you fly, so you'll need to look for passes between the mountains.) I don't know if there are any crashmats close to the destination, but be sure to keep an eye out as it could help you save a few seconds, and it's always possible that could make all the difference on a time limit.

I recall with amusement how you occasionally remarked how you thought that the astronaut suit should allow you to fly. I could've told you that you would eventually get a jetpack to allow exactly that (albeit to a limited height), but I didn't want to ruin the surprise. And yes, the final ability not yet unlocked (super strength handles) won't be available until after you've unlocked Rex Fury near the end of the final level (the token to collect to unlock him should be rather simple and easy to find, once you get to that point).

Edit: Oh, and yes, that thing I kept saying about how there would be a certain point where having to throw enemies at a target would be necessary will also be at some point in the final level.

Edited by Chronicler06

• 2 weeks later...

With the number of times you seemed to get stuck somewhere, it's a good thing there was only one level left to go. And as I said before, I really like that particular level, especially the final part where Chase is literally falling to Earth surrounded by rocket debris. (For the record, the part that I had said would be necessary to grab and throw enemies was in the final fight against Rex Fury.)

As for the next new game, I'm actually glad there was no stream last week, because now we've got perfect timing to start the Lego Ninjago Movie Videogame next week. I'm also planning to see the movie this weekend, so I guess that'll work for both of us. Over the past few weeks, I had considered voting for Pirates of the Caribbean for the next game, but with the good timing we've got now, my vote for the next game will be for the Lego Ninjago Movie Videogame.

Edited by Chronicler06