Twitch Tuesday

Black Six

I managed to tune in for the final episode! Love that ending, particularly the music. Actually, between this, the Lego Batman Movie, and the Lego Ninjago Movie, I'm starting to notice a trend of Lego media using plain English for its ominous background chanting. :P

I do kind of wish there was commenting on these streams the way there is for the live builds. That'd allow us to potentially give you tips when you get stuck, and to discuss what's happening with our fellow watchers.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I do kind of wish there was commenting on these streams the way there is for the live builds. That'd allow us to potentially give you tips when you get stuck, and to discuss what's happening with our fellow watchers.

Twitch definitely has a chat feature, and people have used it before. Do you maybe have it disabled in your settings?

Twitch definitely has a chat feature, and people have used it before. Do you maybe have it disabled in your settings?

Oh dear, I seem to have never actually verified my email account. I'm hoping that'll fix it—I didn't see a specific setting to enable or disable chat.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

It sure would be nice to see someone using the chat, as it's been always empty for months now. (I won't be using it as, personally, I'd rather not make a Twitch account just to use the chat for one stream.)

I was able to see the Lego Ninjago Movie yesterday, so now I'm all set to see the game. Although, now that I think about it, I am concerned about the possibility that we won't be able to get the full experience from these streams. I remember back when you streamed the Lego Movie Videogame (which was about two years ago, if I remember correctly), Twitch wouldn't even let us see the cutscenes (probably because they were taken directly from the movie), so I am legitimately worried the same might happen for this game. (Or perhaps, like the Lego Batman Movie pack for Lego Dimensions, they won't do that again and the cutscenes won't be just clips from the movie.) And of course, there's also the question of the game's music. Ninjago may be an original Lego theme, but this content could be coming from the actual movie, so I'll leave it up to you on whether or not you'll have the music on or off for this game.

(You know, I'm kind of amused by the irony that for Lego City Undercover, the one game where you actually agreed to leave the music on, you also complained about how there wasn't enough of it at parts like for long drives.)

Anyway, even though I do still intend on watching these streams for the Lego Ninjago Movie Videogame, since I simply don't know for sure what parts I might end up missing out on, I will spend the afternoon ahead of tomorrow's stream by watching some other playthrough videos of the game (if I can find them on YouTube).

Formerly known as Takanuva's Symbol, I rejoined BZPower on October 10, 2012.

These days, I am perhaps best known for my obsession with all Lego video games.

I have heard that this game uses clips from the movie, so you may be out of luck for that. I'll leave the music on for the first episode and we'll see what YouTube says about it.

My complaints about the lack of music while driving mainly stem from the fact that it's often a bit boring and tedious. Other LEGO games don't really have parts like that. Yeah I could go driving through stuff to get studs, but then you end up crashing and having to find a new car and it adds on a lot of time. Compared to other semi-open world LEGO games where you're on foot for those parts and it's a lot easier to find little distractions as you follow the glowing path. And also those parts are a lot shorter.

So, it looks like we may have some issues with archiving these streams. The first part of this episode (before the game froze and I had to restart) was fine, but the second part got flagged because of the cutscene that comes directly from the movie, so you probably won't be able to watch it.

Still, the game is a lot of fun and I'm liking the new mechanics they're introducing.

I had a feeling it would be too good to be true when Twitch didn't automatically censor the movie clips like it did for the Lego Movie Videogame. Since watching them later may not be an option for us, I can only hope that I won't miss any of the upcoming live streams.

I have to say, based on what I've seen, the Lego Ninjago Movie Videogame is in many ways unlike any other Lego game. Instead of levels, there are "chapters" for each area, which are grouped together into "locations". For collecting studs, rather than trying to get a certain amount in each particular level while there's no such reward for it in the hub regions, it's always being added up everywhere and all the time to achieve higher ranks which apparently unlock some other content as you progress. And of course, there's the combat controls with so many different ways to beat enemies, along with a system of upgrades for each type of attack. (All other Lego games, with the possible exception of Lego City Undercover, just simply have you hit one button to hit a target and nothing else.)

You mentioned how confusing it could be to remember which buttons to press for each type of attack, so the only advice I can offer would be to simply rewatch the first video to remind yourself of what was shown in the prologue level. (Also, from what I've seen in other videos, an interesting feature of combat in this game is that if you use the same type of attack too often, enemies will be able to block it and prevent you from hurting them, so a constant variety of attacks will be necessary.)

Based on what I've seen in other videos (as well as read in the guide that was added to that list I had linked at the start of this topic), there will be a total of 8 locations followed by a bonus level, so if you're able to keep up a rate of one location each week, it probably won't take long to complete story mode on this game.

Yeah, I may have to write a cheat sheet for myself for the different combat moves.

TT definitely did some interesting things here, and I like the idea of building up your characters as you go through the story. I'm curious to see if any of this makes it into the new Marvel game coming out later this year.

More than once, there were times where I was concerned that I might have to explain some things that you seemed to struggle with, but thankfully you managed to figure them out (getting out of that water by reaching that nearby ladder, red scrolls can be activated from the character selection wheel, and checkpoints mark places where you can resume playing next time). The only thing left to really work on is, like you said, memorizing the controls for each of the different types of attacks.

Good to hear that only the movie clips have to be cut out from these videos. At least we can still keep the music.

Getting close to the end of the third area already, and since that's out of a total of eight, this could possibly end up being one of the quickest games to ever be completed on Twitch Tuesdays.

Getting close to the end of the third area already, and since that's out of a total of eight, this could possibly end up being one of the quickest games to ever be completed on Twitch Tuesdays.

Yeah, I'm not sure how I feel about that. I would have hoped for a little more gameplay I think, especially compared to some of the longer titles like Jurassic World and City Undercover.

I will admit that, when I searched YouTube for videos of other playthroughs, I was quite surprise by how short the story mode on this game really was (one person managed to complete it in a total of just four hours). I'm not exactly sure why, but my speculation is that, in order to get the game out at the same time as the movie, the developers may not have had much time for being too ambitious (possibly just like for the Lego Movie Videogame, explaining why it had so many gliches).

Well, with the fourth location completed, story mode is now halfway over. If you feel like this game is going by too quickly, I suppose you always have the option of going for 100% completion. In addition to all the gold bricks, red scrolls, and character packs, the eight locations in freeplay mode have quests, races, a challenge dojo, and special areas that can be unlocked once you have enough gold bricks. (Although considering your performance during that timed race in Lego City Undercover, I get the feeling you may not be fond of trying any of the races, so I guess we'll just wait and see if you would be interest in continuing after finishing story mode.)

Oh, and for future reference, anyone with any Spinjitzu powers can use those Spinjitzu switches and not just Wu. (For example, Cole has already unlocked his earth Spinjitzu power, so he'll be able to use those switches too, in addition to his special ability to break cracked walls.)

Some minor quality issues with the video this time, though I'm not sure if that was on my end or an issue with the stream.

Anyway, it's certainly interesting how these locations are designed. When you first go through them in story mode, you have to go in a particular direction, but as you progress, you end up opening shortcuts that, during freeplay, make it much easier to access these areas again from different directions. This is unlike the previous Lego games, where the levels are linear progress and the hub areas open world. It seems the Lego Ninjago Movie Videogame sort of combines all of that together, which I find quite interesting.

Location 5 is done and already partway through Location 6, so probably just two or three more weeks left to go before this game is done. We saw Zane, Nya, and Jay unlock their Spinjitsu powers (so keep in mind, they'll also be able to use regular Spinjitsu switches), which leaves just Kai and Lloyd left to go (Lloyd's will be quite interesting once it's available).

Location 6 is completed, partway through Location 7, and all Spinjitzu powers are now unlocked (with Lloyd apparently as a Master Builder). Just one and a half locations left to go before this game is completed. I should add that there is also a bonus level that starts immediately after the credits, so be sure to show us that as well.

Since there will likely be only one or two weeks left to go before it's time to move on to a new game, I'd like to note that the next Lego game, Marvel Superheroes 2, comes out on the 14th, which is right on the Tuesday after next week. So if you're interested in getting that game, I wouldn't mind voting for that one as the next game to play. Then perhaps after that, I would then go for Marvel Avengers, and then that would just leave the two older games left to go after all of that.

Alright! The poll has been reset since we're done with The LEGO Ninjago Movie Videogame! I was kind of surprised by how fast it went, and how they glossed over the Temple of the Ultimate Ultimate Weapon in a cutscene as well as the final confrontation with Garmadon.

The epilogue was fun though, if a little odd. I guess it was an alternate reality take on what would happen if Lloyd had said yes to his dad.

Looks like there was just enough time to finish that game this week. While I was surprised by how quickly the story mode went by, I have a feeling there's quite a lot left to do in order to reach 100% completion. (Of all the games we've seen, I still consider the Lego Movie Videogame to be most likely the easiest one to reach 100% completion. Seeing how almost every other game has multi-hundred gold bricks to collect, the Lego Movie Videogame seems very modest with just 70 gold bricks.)

If you're wondering about who is that third character unlocked in the bonus level...

Mr. Liu is the name of the shopkeeper played by Jackie Chan during the live-action scenes at the beginning and end of the movie.

Well, like I said last week, with the perfect timing of Marvel Superheroes 2 coming out next Tuesday, I've decided to vote for that as the next game to play here.

Shame the new game didn't arrive in time for this week's stream. At least it was nice to see you try some freeplay in the first Marvel Superheroes. Played through the first level in freeplay mode to collect three of ten minikits and rescue Stan Lee in peril, then explored the Helicarrier to collect around a dozen gold bricks from completing various tasks. Not bad for having no real plan on what to do.

I noticed you left the music on this time (and I'm glad, because I remember being particularly fond of the one played during the level complete sequence, so it was nice to hear that one more time). If the uploaded video of this stream is allowed to stay with its music, then I'm pretty sure you'll be okay with leaving the music on when you go through Marvel Superheroes 2 starting next week. (I have a feeling that it's the games that are actually based on existing movies, like Marvel Avengers, where that might not be allowed.)

Edit: I noticed you mentioning more than once how inconvenient it seemed that the character selection had to go through the whole board and not a quick-select of just eight options. Keeping in mind when this game came out, I've seen just about every Lego game that came out after this one has that feature, and while I haven't really seen any of the games that came out soon before it, I have a feeling they lacked that feature like this one did, so I'm sure the issue you mentioned is exactly why they started including the character quick-select wheel in the games that followed.

Edited by Chronicler06

Of course Marvel Superheroes 2 showed up yesterday. Oh well. I thought about streaming it not on a Tuesday, but unfortunately things are getting pretty busy with Thanksgiving and the holidays approaching.

YouTube hasn't yelled at us about the music, so I'll try leaving it on for Marvel Superheroes 2 as well and see how it goes.

You're probably right - playing a lot of these games out of order I forget how long it's been since some of them came out. When it's only two or three characters you're switching between using the bumpers is fine, but it's when you've got that whole screen that it's annoying, especially since for the most part there's only like 4 special powers that you need on a regular basis, lol.

I have to say, my first impressions of Marvel Superheroes 2 are... rather mixed.

What I find good: It's nice to see the inclusion of new characters like the Guardians of the Galaxy. Also, it seems that when you collect minikits, the active character will say some remark about it, which I believe has previously been done only in Lego Dimensions, so it's nice to have more character dialogue like that.

What I find bad: As you pointed out, the absence of that character quick-select wheel is quite bothersome, especially since every Lego game since the first Marvel Superheroes (with the possible exception of Marvel Avengers, which I've yet to see any content to confirm or deny) has included that feature. As for that character unlocked animation, while it does look kinda cool, the fact that it takes quite a while and with such a huge number of characters to unlock, I think that overly long animation will get very annoying very quickly.

An additional note, based on the total number of minikits to collect that you briefly saw in the trophy room, it looks like there will be a total of twenty levels in this game, so it may take quite some time to complete this game.

Whatever you had going on this week to do this on Monday, I found it to be a rather happy coincidence since yesterday also happened to be my birthday. (And the previous day, I was pleasantly surprised to receive the Lego Apollo Saturn V rocket set, which I'd been so desperate to get since it first came out nearly six months ago.) Anyway, enough about me, time to get back on topic.

Kinda strange that the game didn't let you save right at the checkpoint. I assumed that maybe it was because you didn't use one of those "save progress" terminals that I've seen in other Lego games, but I couldn't identify such a thing in either of the two remaining parts of that level, so I guess this means that once you actually start a level, then you might as well call it a night if you don't have much time left by that point to complete the whole level.

I did notice a minor detail in one of the cutscenes of scaffolding around the Statue of Liberty, which I think may be a reference to events from the first Lego Marvel Superheroes game.

I find it quite interesting they they're introducing even more Marvel franchises in this game than the previous one did. There's Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, and heroes and villains from alternate worlds and distant time periods. Particularly interesting is how they're all being brought together in one area, and this is after only 2 out of 20 levels.

Once again, I have to say I have mixed feelings about Marvel Superheroes 2. On one hand, It's neat that we're seeing a whole lot more Marvel franchises, such as the one that apparently takes place in medieval England (never even heard of it before), and then we saw the inclusion of Black Panther (I've heard there will be a movie about him coming out at some point). On the other hand, graphics and gameplay in some areas could certainly be better, like that glitch you had with Groot, or how apparently every level ends with a long freeze-frame that keeps making you think the game has crashed. Don't get me wrong, I do intend to one day play this game like every other Lego game available, but I will say that I'm a little disappointed at how it's apparently gone somewhat backwards compared to more recent Lego games.

Many apologies for messing up tonight's stream. Twitch definitely said it was live, and it must have crashed right afterwards, but I was so into the game I didn't realize. :( I'm slowly working towards a solution where I don't have to rely on the built-in Twitch app, this might be the motivation to speed it up a bit...

Thankfully, it was just one level that went missing, so after a quick YouTube search, I was able to watch the content of that level elsewhere so I now at least know what was supposed to happen. (I saw quite a bit of potential for getting stuck in some places, so I'm honestly a little surprised that it took you apparently only half an hour to get as far as you did before you finally got the stream working properly.)

But yeah, I agree that now that this kind of incident has actually occurred, it would be a good idea to make sure a similar incident never happens again.

Anyway, onto the game. I have to say, I'm quite impressed how almost every level so far seems to show yet another Marvel franchise that in many cases I had never even heard of. First (and what we missed) was apparently an alternate world ruled by Hydra, and then we got to see a region of the Wild West. And after that, it seems there's going to be another choice between two options (and based on the arrows shown, it looks like you've chosen to do level 8 before level 7, but hopefully you'll have enough time to get them both done next week).

So it looks like most of the levels in this game will actually be squads that you get to choose (this week was between levels 7 and 8, and next week will be a three-way choice between levels 9, 10, and 11). I have to say, that's quite an interesting way to include more levels without stretching out the story too much.

I just happened to watch parts of the Doctor Strange movie this past weekend, so it was nice that I was able to recognize some aspects from the first level you played this week. The other level I didn't recognize as well, but at least being a rather short level with just one small area made it a little easier for things like finding minikits.

A three-way choice for the start of next stream, which means it'll likely take more than one session to get through them all.

• 2 weeks later...

(forgot to comment yesterday)

So it looks like there will be a second level for Spiderman's squad. Wow, with so much going on, it's no wonder this game has 20 levels rather than the usual 15 of other Lego games. Anyway, interesting to see Iron Fist, Daredevil, and Luke Cage, all of whom have their own Netflix series (though none of which are in the Noir setting seen in this level). With the game almost halfway over, I'm there will still be plenty of surprises left to see.

Edited by Chronicler06

• 2 weeks later...

So apparently team Spiderman has yet another level left to go, and since the first level for team Star Lord was labeled as level 12 (after the second team Spiderman level was level 10), it seems like that third level will be the last one for that team. If the other two teams also have just as many levels (12, 13, and 14 for team Star Lord; 15, 16, and 17 for team Thor), then once this whole multi-choice portion is done, that'll leave just three levels left to go in story mode. (I haven't looked ahead on any of this, so this is all just speculation on my part.) At least now we've passed the halfway point in terms of number of levels to complete.

By the way, I'd like to mention that, just last week, I have finally started playing through the many Lego video games I have on my Steam account. The one I'm currently playing first is Pirates of the Caribbean, and considering how much there is to do and how much time I can set aside each week, it'll probably take me over a month to complete it. I will say though that, based on what I've experienced so far and compared to what little I've seen of other Lego games here on Twitch Tuesdays, chances are that Lego Pirates of the Caribbean will probably end up being one of my favorites.

I'd also like to point out that Lego Pirates of the Caribbean has among its gameplay features that character selection wheel (albeit in the corner of the screen rather than the middle, probably because it may have been one of the earliest Lego games to have that feature). The only later Lego games I've seen lack that feature are both the first and second Marvel Superheroes games. If the same is also true for Lego Marvel Avengers (haven't seen any videos yet, so I'm not sure if it's true), then it would appear that, for some odd reason, the Marvel franchise doesn't want their Lego video games to include the character selection wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

Sure has been quite a staggered streaming schedule this month, but it was nice of you to go a little longer this week to make up for the absence of both last week and next week.

Looks like all levels for team Spiderman are done, so that now leaves just one more for team Blackbolt and all three for team Thor. Those four levels, followed by only three more, and then this game will be done.

I'd just like to mention that after Marvel Superhores 2 is done, I would next like to see Marvel Avengers. This is mostly because, among the three remaining options, I've already done Pirates of the Caribbean (at least the story mode, I'm still working through freeplay mode), I plan to try Indiana Jones in just a few months a most, but Marvel Avengers is one I'm unlikely to try anytime soon, so I might as well hope for the opportunity to see it here on Twitch Tuesdays. (Not to mention, I've heard there's a new Avengers movie coming out later this year, so it might be a good time for that particular game.)

Edited by Chronicler06

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad that you at least mentioned in the chat that you were having technical issues, so I was able to wait patiently until it was eventually resolved. Two more levels done, just five more left to go for this game.

By the way, I noticed a week or two ago that the game Lego Indiana Jones 2 is now available for backwards compatibility on Xbox, so perhaps you might consider getting that game. Aside from that one, the remaining older Lego games not listed here are Harry Potter Years 1-4, Harry Potter Years 5-7, Star Wars III The Clone Wars, Batman 2, and Lord of the Rings. I don't know if any of them are even possible for you to acquire, but I figured I should at least provide a list so you'll know which ones to look for.

That's good to know. Since we don't yet know what the next upcoming Lego game might be, it's nice that there will be plenty of older games to occupy the time.

Anyway, this week's stream, two more levels completed, despite a little confusion at times (I saw the color code on those clams almost immediately, and turning Banner into Hulk by holding the button used to switch characters would've been the first action I would have tried). Just three more levels left to go. Who knows, at the rate you're going, you might even have enough time after you finish the final level on the stream after next week's stream to try that DLC you say you got.

By the way, if at any time you're ever curious about which Lego game I'm playing through, I'll be posting about it in the "what video game are you playing now" topic in the completely off topic section.

I have to admit, there are still times when I'm astonished by how it can take you quite a while to figure out certain details in the game that took me only minute at most to understand, even without the aid of a guide. The only advice I can think of to help in at least a few such instances is to simply pay attention to where the camera moves after you complete a task, because if it pans over to some other area before returning to your active character, then chances are you're supposed to do something over there.

Anyway, just one more level left to go in Marvel Superheroes 2, so depending on how quickly you can finish it, there might be some time to spare to try that DLC thing you mentioned recently.

As for what game I'd like to see next, I believe I've already mentioned that I would vote for Marvel Avengers, because it is the only relatively recent Lego video game we have not yet seen (I'm currently playing through some older Lego games, so I'd rather see one of the newer ones that I'm unlikely to get to anytime soon), not to mention it would be good timing due to the upcoming movie later this year.

Well, seeing as the poll has not been reset, I guess this means we'll see one more week of Marvel Superheroes 2. With just one more DLC level, that will almost certainly leave some extra time for other things in the game.

You know, I just recently remembered from a little while ago that there was one level in this game that we didn't get to see because you failed to notice that the stream wasn't even running (it was the one featuring that alternate city ruled by Hydra, I think it was level #5). You may have to go inside the mansion to find the level select, but once you do, I'm sure it'll give you the option of freeplay or replay the story version, the later of which will include the cutscenes (or perhaps there won't be such an option and you'll have freeplay mode with the cutscenes from story mode). Just thought I'd point out something worth considering for next week's stream.

Anyway, for the record, once the poll is reset, I'll be voting for Marvel Avengers.

The poll still hasn't been reset. I've already said what my vote will be (Marvel Avengers), but it sure would be nice if I could actually cast that vote.

Anyway, I guess it's a good thing you only had that one quick level left, since you said you would be doing a short stream this week anyway. I have to admit, the song featured in that level has been stuck in my head for a while, if only I knew the name of it.

By the way, I should probably take this chance to point out that the game I'd like to vote for next, Marvel Avengers, is based on the actual movies (unlike the other two Lego Marvel games you've played), so I'm honestly not sure if it'll be okay for you leave the music on. I guess I'll leave that decision entirely up to you.

After some Twitch weirdness where it still thought I was streaming for about 24 hours after I had stopped, I was finally able to get last night's stream exported to YouTube. LEGO Marvel Superheroes 2 is now done!

The poll has been reset, and due to some fortuitous timing from the Xbox Backwards Compatibility team, LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars has been added to the list! That gives us for games that we haven't streamed any of thus far to pick from.

So I guess you chose to go with the most recent addition to the list. Well, since it's one of the games I plan on trying myself sometime later, I might as well take this opportunity to see what it will be like.

I decided to take a quick glance at the guide from my link near the beginning of this topic and it looks like there will be a total of twenty story levels, the prologue at the start, the epilogue at the end, and in between are six levels for each of the three branches. Having never seen the Clone Wars series, I have no idea if those three branches occur in any particular order. In addition, there's also two other story levels (not sure how those will be accessed, nor what they're about) and a bunch of rather quick bonus levels (which will be unlocked as you collect more gold bricks, if it's anything like what I recently experienced in Harry Potter Years 1-4).

By the way, even though you left the music on, is the video staying up just fine? If not, is there any particular part that needs to be cut without having to mute the entire video? Personally, I'd like to keep to music on as I find it makes these games more lively, but it's still up to you since you're the one who's playing it.