LEGO Angry Birds Movie Site Catapults Into Action

In other LEGO.com updates today, the LEGO Angry Birds Movie site has launched with pages on the six new products that will be swooping into stores in the coming months. The new product pages highlight the play features of each set and show the sets from new angles we haven't seen in catalogs, but there's not a whole lot of other new content. Fortunately, that means not a lot of spoilers to ruffle your feathers! Follow the link above to check out the site!

View the full article

So this is where LEGO is putting its money...

• Upvote 1

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Wanted to put in a Michael Scott "no god please no" gif but the file size was too big.

So I'll just say it myself.

No! God please no! No! No! Noooooooooooooo!

**ahem**

Just, why. Why are they making a movie to begin with, but why is LEGO making sets for it. Why. Appealing to their audience? But... AUGH.

(I'm not really that upset about it, just kind of disappointed and perplexed why this is a thing at all.)

• Upvote 1
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Sets look good, detailed fun designs etc. They don't seem as collapsible as the structures in the game, which is kind of the point (you think the idea would be that people could play the game Angry Birds with the sets)... but they have a bunch of play features so it's probably fine.

Prices will probably be horrible because they're licensed and they have a lot of new molds. It's be better if the minifigures were based off the game than the stupid movie.

Angry Birds sets might have been a good idea in, like, 2012, when the game was actually popular and relevant (this is my observation, maybe it's not statistically true). If the idea is to tie it into the movie, then yeah the movie should have come out sooner, I wonder why it took them so long.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

These things are just... weird. I don't really see much point in their existence. Most of the sets are vehicles that already exist (and have been done much better). The pig city thing looks like it was created for one function. The ship looks awkward and doesn't look like it can hold many minifigures. The castle look kinda interesting but there's just far better out there. The film itself looks like your average cliched animated family film (and once again I don't see the point of it's existence). The minifigures look like a mutated version of the rock monsters and does not translate well into lego. I don't expect this to last beyond one wave. 

It's time to move on.

Geez... some harsh opinions in this topic.

For my part, I've barely played Angry Birds, but from what I have played, it's a solid game that seems at least on-par with a lot of classic arcade hits. So already I'm skeptical of the idea that it is just a "fad" when the franchise has seemingly had more great games in the past decade than more positively regarded franchises like Sonic the Hedgehog. And I've watched one of the trailers for the movie, and it seemed decent (it was a better-looking trailer than I've seen for a lot of animated kids' movies, that's for sure). People have criticized the idea of making a movie based on something with such a basic story, but then, people were saying the same thing about making a movie about Lego two years ago. The light story outline of the game seems to actually be doing the movie some favors, since it frees up the writers to really flesh out the story and develop some interesting themes.

These sets look great, and as I'd hoped since the initial announcement of the theme, they seem to have incorporated a lot of the kinetic aspect of the game into the sets' functions. The sets are all wonderfully, unrepentently cartoony in their appearance. The pig vehicles all look amazingly ramshackle (while still looking like sturdy builds), and all the figures look cute and diverse. There are all sorts of fantastic-looking parts, too—from printed boards and TNT crates to hot dog buns, eggs, and all sorts of amazing recolors like green feathers, pink seaweed, and azure window frames.

I think that as long as the movie is decently successful, these sets are likely to be a hit. A lot of the criticisms of this theme (that it's years too late or that the "fad" has passed) seem quite similar to AFOLs' predictions of doom and gloom for the Minecraft theme, and look how that's turned out.

• Upvote 4

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I've never played the game nor really care to, but I'll just say this; the pigs have a lot of cool vehicles and buildings, and the birds are just trying to destroy them or something. And the birds are supposed to be the protagonists? Lame. The pigs are the true engineers and would-be Lego enthusiasts.

Anyway, while the sets don't look too terrible (besides the characters) they're of no great interest to me, so I'll probably pass. Except... those new egg pieces look interesting...

:music:

They already have movie-accurate sets, but the films won't be released for another eight months? O_o Someone in the marketing department really messed up...

The movie comes out in May of this year.

So, five months.

Never played the game, no interest in the movie... but there are some cool pieces in these sets. I'm sure MOCists will have a field day with some of them.

BZPRPG

Geez... some harsh opinions in this topic.

For my part, I've barely played Angry Birds, but from what I have played, it's a solid game that seems at least on-par with a lot of classic arcade hits. So already I'm skeptical of the idea that it is just a "fad" when the franchise has seemingly had more great games in the past decade than more positively regarded franchises like Sonic the Hedgehog. And I've watched one of the trailers for the movie, and it seemed decent (it was a better-looking trailer than I've seen for a lot of animated kids' movies, that's for sure). People have criticized the idea of making a movie based on something with such a basic story, but then, people were saying the same thing about making a movie about Lego two years ago. The light story outline of the game seems to actually be doing the movie some favors, since it frees up the writers to really flesh out the story and develop some interesting themes.

These sets look great, and as I'd hoped since the initial announcement of the theme, they seem to have incorporated a lot of the kinetic aspect of the game into the sets' functions. The sets are all wonderfully, unrepentently cartoony in their appearance. The pig vehicles all look amazingly ramshackle (while still looking like sturdy builds), and all the figures look cute and diverse. There are all sorts of fantastic-looking parts, too—from printed boards and TNT crates to hot dog buns, eggs, and all sorts of amazing recolors like green feathers, pink seaweed, and azure window frames.

I think that as long as the movie is decently successful, these sets are likely to be a hit. A lot of the criticisms of this theme (that it's years too late or that the "fad" has passed) seem quite similar to AFOLs' predictions of doom and gloom for the Minecraft theme, and look how that's turned out.

You could compare it to the minecraft theme but the difference between the two in terms of popularity is very different. Rovio has since had to lay off over 30% of it's workforce, whilst minecraft (whilst not quite as big as it was back in 2012) still has relevance and Mojang are doing fine. I can still find minecraft merchandise quite easily, whilst recently I saw a kid in an angry birds T-shirt... that was first time I'd seen anything angry birds in a long time. Plus at my local video game store I've seen copies of angry birds for PS3 going for quite a low price and still not selling. And it's not just where I live I've heard similar things said by many others online. 

It's time to move on.