LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens Videogame Announced

Earlier this morning Warner Bros Interactive Entertainment, TT Games, The LEGO Group, and Lucasfilm jointly announced a new game based on the latest entry to the Star Wars saga: Episode VII: The Force Awakens. The game will be releasing on June 28, 2016 on just about every platform imaginable and will allow you to replay the fun and excitement of the new movie with the signature ABS twist. While we're not able to upload them now, we'll have screenshots and a trailer to share this evening, but you can read on to see the full press release. Are you excited for the game?

View the full article

Cool! If the game actually delivers on this:

Launching on June 28, 2016, the game will introduce brand new gameplay mechanics to build, battle and fly through the galaxy like never before, as well as new story content exploring the time between Star Wars: Return of the Jedi and Star Wars: The Force Awakens, providing additional insight about the new movie and its characters. [...] LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens will be pushing the series forward with innovative new gameplay mechanics

...then it sounds like it could be a pretty cool game! It sounds like they are really trying to break the mold a little with new gameplay mechanics compared to previous TT games. I'll be keeping an eye out for screenshots.

IetTsFQ.png

With as popular as The Force Awakens is, this doesn't surprise me at all. 

I'm glad that they're trying new things with it. I haven't really played a Lego Video Game since Lego Star Wars 2, so I may not be as worn out on the Lego video game formula as others, but even then it can be great for a franchise to try new things. This, along with the new story content, really make me consider getting this. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Meh. Don't really like the way lego infuse slapstick with these often dark movies. 

I wouldn't consider The Force Awakens all that "dark"... and besides, what would you prefer? That Lego just recreate the movie shot for shot, but with cute Lego men instead of human actors? I think that would be an unbelievable bore, and a game like that would really struggle to justify its own existence.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Would it be too much to ask that they go back to their old trope of not using dialog like the did with the original games. It might not work as well in Super Hero games, but I think they did a good job of it in Star Wars and would like to see that done here, instead of just doing voiceovers from the movie. (Because I suppose it's too much to ask for the actors and such to record new content...)

:music:

Come onnnn... seriously? They can't wait a few more years for the trilogy to finish? They can't even wait for Rogue One? I know they'll have stuff to fill in the blanks between RotJ and TFA, but I don't want to play that. I want to play slapstick takes on these films like the original two games.

Meh. Don't really like the way lego infuse slapstick with these often dark movies. 

"Dark"? You thought The Force Awakens was dark? Has the word lost all its meaning now when it's applied to film?

Would it be too much to ask that they go back to their old trope of not using dialog like the did with the original games.

No. In fact, I think the dialogue hinders the games to a great degree. Watching the Lego Lord of the Rings cutscenes is almost painful, because they're trying to create humor while dancing around the tone and delivery of the lines being so serious. It doesn't work. The result is a trainwreck:

Lego-Lurtz-and-Boromir.png

While the silent treatment of the TT games doesn't always work well - just look at some PotC cutscenes, you can barely tell what's going on - I far prefer those games to the ones where they jam in dialogue from the source film.s

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939

Eh. "Hope Lego waits a while before turning this into a videogame" is I think pretty much literally one of the things I was thinking after I got out of the theater when I watched the movie.

TT Games knows no restraint. Couldn't be bothered to wait another year to have a Hobbit game with all three films.

I wonder if it's a decision they made or if Warner pushed them to release sooner than they should have.

Would it be too much to ask that they go back to their old trope of not using dialog like the did with the original games. It might not work as well in Super Hero games, but I think they did a good job of it in Star Wars and would like to see that done here, instead of just doing voiceovers from the movie. (Because I suppose it's too much to ask for the actors and such to record new content...)

:music:

Hear, hear. I'm probably gonna grab it anyway (because, duh), but this would be nice.

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

Does this mean we're going to get a separate videogame for all 3 sequel trilogy movies? On one hand, that may mean lots more levels, and on the other hand, so much more money to spend... probably won't be getting this until its on discount for $5 or less like is normally the case with the videogames I buy...

The artist formerly known as

ŜρЄЯ־GЄNіŜ־CЯЄŦ۞Я

BBC#69 Entry: Roodaka - Master of Manipulation

BFTGM entries: Zigben · Ventox · Deflecto

Hail Denmark.

• 2 weeks later...

Super exciting! Loved the previous LEGO Star Wars games and episode VII was great. Kind of a bummer that they'll be shilling full-priced games for each movie rather than waiting on all 3 to be out, but they've gotta run on the hype I guess.

-NotS

Edited by Nidhiki of the Shadows

tahubanner.jpg