Star Wars: Interregnum

sunflower

IC (Raltz Nightwing, B-Wing Crash Site):

The flight had been almost entirely in silence. As the stormtroopers filed off the shuttle, DT-204 stepped between the exit and Lt. Arkada.

"Lieutenant," he said, his voice devoid of emotion, "I question your methods only because I feel they compromise the effectiveness and ability of those under your command. If your detachment cannot perform their duties, their morale is of no meaning."

The times, they are a-changing...

IC: Mia was surprised as Raltz stopped in front of her and addressed her. Now he was getting out of hand, given his repeated tendency to ignore a superior officer. Not that questioning authority was a bad thing; Mia herself was not above it, but Raltz seemed to think he could just order her around.

"Raltz," she said, intentionally referring to him by name knowing it would annoy him. "I may have a few rookies, and we haven't had much action in the past few months, but I assure you they can perform in a fight."

Mia ended the conversation there, quickly walking past Raltz and stepping off the shuttle.

The Darktrooper's gaze lingered on the Arkada. "Their combat effectiveness was not my concern, Lieutenant."

Raltz moments later strode out of the transport, barking orders. "Alright, comb this junkyard, I want that B-Wing found!"

IC: Mia

IC:

Almost prophetically, as soon as Raltz' boots hit the patch of debris-filled mud that constituted "dry land" in the junkyard swamp, the unmistakable sound of blasterfire echoed out from just beyond the shuttle's landing site. The cacophony was accompanied by a barrage of bolts that hit everything from the muddy ground to the armored frame of the shuttle. An Imperial shuttle tended to draw attention regardless of the planet; and one single unaccompanied transport was just too good to pass up for those that roamed the scrapyard.

The scavengers had taken up positions among the blown-out spaceframes of the downed starships around, raining down shot after shot to the squad of troopers that had disembarked from the shuttle. If the fact that the offending blaster bolts were of multiple different hues didn't attest to the rag-tag nature of the group, then the repeated sharp crack of a rapid-fire slugthrower certainly did.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

The stormtroopers, regardless of their division reacted as well as they could to a sudden attack. Several were struck by the initial volley, either by the bolts themselves or knocked down by resulting blasts. Raltz himself was struck by the slugthrower, the slugs ricocheting off his durasteel armor. Raltz's training had already kicked in, though, as he activated a smoke grenade and dropped it at his feet. "Cover! Now!" he growled into his comm unit, currently filled with trooper chatter. He himself leveled his repeater and fired a suppressive volley as he advanced, hoping to draw fire to himself and away from his more lightly-armored compatriots.

IC: Mia took cover as soon as the shots were fired. She watched as one of her stormtroopers was hit, followed by a shadow trooper. Another stormtrooper approached moments later, sitting next to her.

"What was that?" The Stormtrooper yelled toward Mia.

"Probably scavengers," Mia replied. The Stormtrooper removed her helmet, revealing the nervous face of Dak. She was obviously scared, and struggling to stay calm. Meanwhile, the Stormtroopers were busy ducking and covering to avoid getting hit.

Mia tried to look around. Their cover was at the moment an old, worn swoop; one of the Old-Fashioned models from before the Rise of the Empire, with no obvious chance of ever working again. At the moment she could not see Raltz, though even while not under fire his armor would make him hard to identify anyway.

"Okay, Dak," Mia said as she touched the young stormtrooper's shoulder. "We're going to make it through this. I think I have an idea. There's a TIE Fighter wreck over there." She motioned toward a wreck just a few meters away. "If we can use the debris as cover, it might be possible to get around and take some of them by surprise. I'm going to try and draw their fire. You make a run for it. Understand?"

"Yeah," Dak muttered with an obvious stammer in her voice.

"This is your first real action, isn't it?"

"Yeah," Dak muttered.

"It's okay. What you're feeling is normal, and if we work together we can get out of this. Okay. GO!"

Mia stood and began firing towards the unseen scavengers. She ducked just in time as a slug chipped the metal of the wreck. She looked toward the TIE Fighter. Dak was there. Mia paused for a moment to catch her breath before getting to her feet.

It only took a few seconds, but that was enough to mean the difference between life and death. She charged out from behind the wreck. She could hear the shots being fired, several of them in her direction, but she also knew well that the only shot she had at surviving was to keep moving. It felt like much longer before she finally ducked behind the cockpit of the downed TIE next to Dak.

"Okay," Mia said. "I can't tell how many of them we're dealing with, but it looks like they're not great shots. They're scattered around but if we can avoid drawing attention we might be able to find them and give our friends a better chance."

"Mia," Dak muttered.

"What is it?"

"I've never killed anyone before," Dak muttered. "They trained me to shoot a blaster but I've never had to use it outside of the range."

"It's not an easy feeling," Mia replied. "But you should be prepared to defend yourself."

"Right. So what do we do now?"

"We'll have to keep moving," Mia said. "Take cover wherever possible. If we do find any of them, only shoot if you have to; we don't want to waste ammo and anyone we can take alive might have some answers."

IC: Jenth

"Uh, not that much really," Jenth replied, before quickly adding, "If the armor's still intact and everything then the systems probably just need a cleanup or something."

"I'd have to see what I'm working with first to give you an exact estimate."

IC:

And they would definitely be searching. If the Imps hadn't picked up the B-Wing coasting down for a landing then he'd gotten the luckiest break of his life. He wasn't going to bet on it though, they had probably already either torn the ship apart looking for information or blew it to bits. The fact that there was a Star Destroyer, even though it could just be a triangle-shaped cruiser based on the average backwater planet bar patron's knowledge of Imperial ship classifications, just made things all the more complicated.

He wasn't working with a whole lot at the moment. Time included.

"Suppose a, uh, traveler hadn't yet gotten acquainted with the ins and outs of this planet; two capitalistically-savvy rogues with no love of the Empire wouldn't mind the financial opportunity of giving said traveler the grand tour?"

IC:

When faced with a dark-armored juggernaut that had just taken a barrage of slugs to the chest before standing up to shoot back, the scavengers did the sensible thing and directed their fire towards the cyborg. They weren't expert marksmen by any stretch of the imagination, but it was soon apparent that they had numbers on their side, and it wouldn't take long for them to dial in their shots.

With the initial frenzy of the attack gone, it was clear that there were two distinct groups of them. One of which was posted up further back within the rusted hulk of a freighter, the rhythmic thump of a mounted blaster echoing from within the superstructure as the gunner poured red plasma bolts at the squad of Stormtroopers below. The second was much closer, though judging by the lack of damage to the shuttle, they didn't have much more than rifles.

While the majority of the second group had focused their fire on Raltz, the first had seen Arkada's advance from afar, and began to direct some of their fire to stop their progress.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

"Suppose a, uh, traveler hadn't yet gotten acquainted with the ins and outs of this planet; two capitalistically-savvy rogues with no love of the Empire wouldn't mind the financial opportunity of giving said traveler the grand tour?"

OOC: I might have to just ask for clarification here. It sounded like you might have been referring to Nadia and Viseria, but I wasn't entirely sure.

IC: Mia ducked for cover as more shots began to fly her way. Out in the open, there was no way two people could manage on their own. Fortunately, the wreckage was still providing cover, and there was lots of that. It was rather fortunate when a CR90 corvette proved to be within walking distance. Not the biggest ship, but it at least offered some shelter compared to the much larger star destroyers in the distance.

Mia quickly managed to slide into one of the openings of the hull, Dak right behind her. The ship was obviously not functional; then again, most of the vehicles here weren't.

"Do you think they saw us?" Dak asked, nervously.

"I don't know," Mia said. "We won't be able to stay here for long."

Mia led Dak along one of the old halls of the ship, before grabbing and exposed beam and climbing to a higher level. Upon reaching the platform, she extended a hand down to get Dak up.

"What's the plan, then?" Dak asked. "This place isn't going to keep us safe for long."

"I know," Mia said. "There is still something we can do from in here. I figure if we can get to higher ground, it might be possible to see who's attacking us. There's a hole in the roof we can use."

Mia placed her hands in front of her. Dak stepped onto her hand and pushed herself up towards the top, pulling herself through onto the outside. A moment later, she had her hand down, and was pulling Mia up.

"Not bad for your first action," Mia said as she climbed on top of the old corvette. It was barely any significant height, a metre at most, but it did allow for a slightly better view of the field, especially now that they weren't given as much attention, though she did see a few people beginning to enter the same way she had.

"I think I see someone," Mia said. "Right there." She pointed towards a scavenger operating what looked like an old slugthrower from the driver's seat in an old landspeeder. It only took a moment for Mia to jump off, grunting as she hit the ground. Dak followed immediately, and the two began to approach. A quick sprint was all they needed to take the scavenger from behind. Dak was able to pull the gun out of her hands as Mia pointed her pistol at her. "GET OUT!" She yelled.

The scavenger nervously stepped out of the landspeeder and into the muddy ground. Dak quickly pointed her rifle at her. Mia looked around. There was another wreck close by, one of an old freighter. "MOVE IT!" Mia yelled. The Scavenger began to run towards the wreck, Mia and Dak following. More shots were flying. Neither one of them could see any of their fellow troops, though they couldn't take much time to look for them.

As they entered the freighter, Mia took a moment to catch her breath. She turned toward the nervous scavenger.

"Now I'm not going to hurt you," Mia said. The Scavenger looked at her nervously. "We've lost enough people as it is. All I need is some answers. Who are you, and why are you attacking us?"

OOC: Raltz isn't that hard to make out. The normal stormies look like this. The Inquisitorius troopers Raltz commands look like a mix of this and these guys. Raltz himself looks like this; it should be noted that it is notably larger than a normal stormtrooper.

The Inquisitorius stormtroopers that were still standing had regrouped at a large pile of wreckage, already starting to return fire in earnest. DT-204, when he recognized the distinctive report of a mounted gun, followed. He took a few glancing blaster bolts, but his armor let him shrug them off. He was about to order a rocket fired at the mounted blaster's position, but reconsidered. He realized any non-superficial damage could potentially harm the mission objective, they hadn't found it yet.

Behind him, the Sentinal-class landing craft was preparing to take off again, closing up its hatches and reactivating its shields. DT-204 switched his comm to dial in to their channel and was met with a stream of tense, yet not panicked takeoff routines. "Pilot, you can't use anything heavier than the repeating blasters, we can't risk damaging the B-Wing before we extract information from it."

"Are you sure? Not even the ion cannon?"

"No. I want that mounted gun taken out."

"Yes sergeant." As the shuttle took off it's wings unfolded as the craft turned, bringing the rotary repeating blasters to bear. They opened fire on the second group, pouring volumes of blaster-fire.

One of the Inquisitorius troopers had unpacked his T-21 and was taking shots at the scavenger positions, while several others were laying taking what shots they could Raltz Knelt to reduce his profile, switching his comm back to the Lieutenant's channel. "Lieutenant, I need you to rally your troops and engage the hostiles' second position once the shuttle is done with their run. My squad and I will assault the closer position shortly. As to your orders, I'd rather spend blaster packs then bodies, but we should save on explosives. If you need to move, have your troops throw up smoke to mask their positions."

Edited by Keeper of Kraata

OOC: Right, so I just watch out for the guy who kinda looks like he walked out of Fallout and I should be okay? Got it.

IC: Mia paused as her comm went off. She pulled it off her belt.

"Lieutenant, I need you to rally your troops and engage the hostiles' second position once the shuttle is done with their run. My squad and I will assault the closer position shortly. As to your orders, I'd rather spend blaster packs then bodies, but we should save on explosives. If you need to move, have your troops throw up smoke to mask their positions."

"That's going to be difficult, Raltz," Mia shouted into her comm. "Most of us got scattered as soon as they hit. I've got one of my own stormtroopers with me. I don't know how many others are alive. I've got cover for the moment behind enemy lines, but I don't know how long it will last. If you find any of my Stormtroopers they're going to have to work with you. It was probably luck and small numbers that got me as far as this, but we'll do what we can to make it easier for you."

Mia put her comm away and took a deep breath. The salvager stared at the two women nervously, unsure of what to do. 

"Look," Mia said. "I don't want to hurt you. Dak, put the gun down."

"Lieutenant-"

"You don't have to drop it. I just think our friend might be more comfortable if she didn't have a gun pointed at her."

Dak paused nervously, before lowering her rifle.

"Now what are you doing down here?"

"What do you think we were doing? We've been scavenging."

"But you decided to attack us?"

The salvager paused, leaning back against the wall of the freighter. "I was part of a salvage crew. We were just down here looking for things. You know, parts that would be worth selling."

"What's she talking about?" Dak asked.

"Some people are willing to pay good money for intact parts from abandoned wrecks," Mia explained. "How do you think Nadia was able to get us all that equipment? A lot of it was deals with salvage teams like this."

"Look, I didn't mean to do any harm."

"I'm sure," Dak replied. "That's why you were perched in a landspeeder firing at us."

"I know, but that wasn't my idea. We were down here and my team saw your shuttle land. We didn't find much this time and a few people got into their heads that your craft would make up for it."

"That's true," Mia said. "I'm sure the local gangs would pay good money for an intact Imperial shuttle."

"They would," the salvager replied. "And that clouded their judgement. Out leader got it into his head that we had a chance at profit. I tried to talk him out of it but he just wouldn't listen. He was too obsessed with the profits to think about the risks involved. The rest of us were just trying to defend ourselves after he started shooting. I guess now you're going to arrest me."

Mia looked at her new partner. "From what you've told me, you had no control over anything that happened and just tried to defend yourself when it did. Self-preservation isn't a crime. Still, any information you have may be useful. Can you tell me anything about what you found before we arrived?"

"I didn't see much. We were on opposite ends of the junkyard when it happened. Most of the team just started taking their positions wherever they were at the time, but there was some discussion on the radio. There was someone, I think over in the west area, who mentioned finding a B-wing, one which seemed fairly intact. We were about to investigate when the shuttle arrived and my boss decided it was a better prize."

"Sounds like you got mixed up with the wrong crew," Dak muttered.

"Yeah, but it's hard to find work in the Lower City. You have to take what you can get."

Mia approached the hull of the freighter and looked outside. The sounds of gunfire still rang out, but she could see little of the battle. She turned towards her two companions.

"You got a name?" She asked the salvager.

"Evnairis,"

"Okay. Now, we'll need to get some sort of bearing. We know unfortunately that Raltz is still standing. What we don't know is who is left or where anyone is. Dak, I'm going to need you to do some scouting."

The stormtrooper nodded, trying to hide her unease.

"Try to make it quick. Don't draw attention, and do not engage unless you have to defend yourself. Try and locate either our own or any of the scavengers, than report back to me."

"Got it," Dak said. She reluctantly stepped out of the wrecked freighter. Mia turned towards Evnairis.

"It's okay," she said. "We're trying to minimize lethal force. Hopefully we can take them alive."

Evnairis just looked at Mia, not finding her statement to be very comforting.

OOC: You do realize the gunship just shot up one of the scavenger positions, right?

"Even if you've sustained heavy casualties, you have twice as many soldiers as I have. I'm not going to lose my men because you can't command yours effectively. DT-204 out."

Before he could issue any orders, several blaster bolts hit uncomfortably close to the Inquisitorius trooper's positions, showering sparks all over. The trooper wielding the T-21 recoiled and fell, his armor smoking. DT-204 turned the trooper over.

"48? 48? You still with us?"

His breathing was ragged, but the trooper nodded. "Alright," DT-204 stated, before standing. "Prepare to assault the hostiles. I'm moving in." The replies were characteristically terse for his squad. As Raltz stood, he twisted his head, activating his cortical implant. Combat stimulants were released into his bloodstream; sensory details, reaction times, physical output, all were increased. His armor felt cold all of a sudden; not uncomfortably so, but it was a side-effect he had grown accustomed to. The darktrooper strode out from behind the pile of wreckage quickly, uncaring of the enemy fire. He quickened to a run as blaster bolts started being fired at him, holding his repeater in one hand. Then, Raltz leaped off the ground, activating his jumppack and soared into the air.

As DT-204 approached the apex of his jump, he maneuvered slightly to guide his jump to his target: one entrenched scavenger, presumably now terrified by the sight of a flying stormtrooper. The jets in his jumppack lowered as he began his rapid descent. With a sickening crunch, he landed dead-on, his inertial dampeners absorbing the shock. As he rose, several blasts shook him. The Darktrooper used the momentum from the blasts to turn, blasting the scavenger with a short burst from his repeater.

He took in the area quickly; this looked like the wreck of some civilian shuttle, half-disassembled for parts. Windows were gone; he saw more scavengers beyond, scattering for better cover. Raltz's jumppack was still cooling, he had to find another way out; the door was covered by an array of scrap metal. Not much of a barricade, and Raltz proved it as he kicked through it. A scavenger narrowly avoid the explosion of debris, but failed to dodge the Darktrooper's punch. Blood splattered Raltz's armor, the scavenger's face a pulp as his corpse flew to the ground. Raltz's heightened senses alerted him to a scavenger on a ledge above him, a rodian with his arm held back, grenade in his hand. Before he had time to react, the rodian was blasted in the chest twice, falling over. A quick glance back asserted what Raltz already knew: his squad was closing the gap quickly.

IC:

"I appreciate the suggestion, I'll probably see about asking them." Liare shrugged slightly, sipping at his drink again. "I talked to the Imps, but they're not always helpful. Buddy of mine went to check out where we think the B-Wing landed, but the Zabrak's probably long gone. Just hoping we can find where he went. He'll probably be trying to get off world, since his ship won't fly."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

OOC: That doesn't mean Mia knows. When you're on your own and trying to avoid getting shot, it can be easy to miss things like that.

IC: Mia lowered her comm in frustration. She turned towards Evnairis.

"You mentioned something about a B-wing?"

"One of the others reported it."

"Do you think you could lead us into the general area?"

"I think so, but I can't give you the exact spot."

"That's alright. It's a new and very intact B-Wing amongst a bunch of other wrecks. It should stand out."

Mia activated her comm once again. "Change in plans, Raltz. I think I have a lead on that B-Wing. I'm going to try to recover it. You just draw their fire. I'm also issuing new orders effective immediately: you are not to use lethal force unless necessary. If your life is in danger, you can defend yourself, but scavengers are to be taken alive whenever possible. Oh, and Raltz, if you ignore this order and continue to assume you can give instructions to your superior officer I will personally see you court-martialed for insubordination."

"What was that?" Evnairis asked.

"The person we need to be watching for," Mia replied. "He likes to think he's in charge. He should be easy to spot, he looks like he belongs in some kind of role playing game dealing with the aftermath of nuclear war."

Dak arrived seconds later. "Their numbers appear to be weakened," she reported. "It's still intense but if we lay low we should be able to move."

"Okay," Mia said. "We're going to go find that b-wing, and while we're doing that we're going to find the rest of my garrison. LET'S MOVE!"

Dak quickly stepped out of the wreck, rifle in hand. She looked around for a moment. "CLEAR!"

Mia ran out, followed by Evnairis.

"Okay, which way to we go?"

The scavenger took a moment to look around. "It should be in that direction," she replied. "We can use the wrecks for cover."

"Okay, we'll start by moving towards that old TIE Bomber," Mia said.

A short sprint brought the three women to their next point of cover. The sounds of battle were becoming more distant. That was when they had an unexpected surprise. Mia began to step out as she noticed another stormtrooper, though it was not one of hers. This one was wandering, stumbling through the junkyard, apparently lost and disoriented. It looked like one of Raltz's demolitions troopers.

She approached the stormtrooper. "Are you alright?" She asked.

"I'm not sure," the demolitions trooper said. "There were so many of them. Who are you?"

"Lieutenant Mia Arkada. You can remove your helmet if you want."

The trooper reluctantly reached for her helmet and pulled it off, taking in a deep breath as she looked Mia in the eye. "DT-24601," she said. "I know you like to refer to the stormtroopers by name but if DT-204 finds out I'm speaking to you..."

"Don't worry," Mia said. "You can come with us."

Mia led the demolitions trooper towards her other companions. "How much experience do you have?"

"I've been in the field a couple times,"

"That's more than can be said for Dak here. She's one of my soldiers, fresh out of training."

"If you made it this far," DT-24601 remarked. "You must be able to hold your own. There were a lot of them and they were firing fast. I got disoriented and couldn't find the rest of my unit."

"That's pretty much what happened to us, but I do have good news" She turned toward the TIE Bomber. "You can come out!"

Evnairis reluctantly stepped out, displaying obvious discomfort at the sight of a dark trooper. 

"This is Evnairis," Mia explained. "She says she can get us near the B-Wing."

"So I guess that's our next objective," 24601 said. "Let's move."

IC: "Well, good luck finding your B-Wing than," Nadia said as she finished her drink. "Anyway, we should probably be going now. If you need to talk to me again you can come by the swoop track."

Nadia turned toward the door, leaving Viseria to finish her drink. She turned toward the Wookie bartender. "I'm sorry about my friend," she said. "It's been a rough day. She's a little on-edge." With that, Viseria left the Wookie a small tip before turning toward the door herself.

Nadia sat by herself in the Vulkar hideout. The gang was hardly what it once was, but it still had a diverse range of members. Twi'leks like her had always been a large part of it, but there were others. They did after all have a Miraluka, not that anyone seemed to know anything more about the species than their name. She was approached by a large Gamorrean, who took a seat next to her. In any other environment, one could expect that a sudden encounter between a Twi'lek and a Gamorrean would end badly, but not in the Vulkars.

"I heard about what happened in the race. I'm sorry you had to deal with that,"

"It's alright, Gonzai" Nadia replied. "Was anyone hurt?"

"As far as wookie attacks go, it could have been much worse," Gonzai said. "Nobody was killed, though a few won't be racing any time soon."

"I'd like to find some way of getting back at those Beks. Show them just how petty they really are."

"Why don't you get some rest for now," Gonzai said. "We can talk about this more in the morning."

Nadia stood and approached the bunkroom. There were two rows of beds set out in front of her. Viseria was already lying in one. She still wore her hood which obscured her face; her soft snoring was the only way to tell she was asleep. There was no doubting that both of them could use the rest. Even if that wookie hadn't attacked, swoop riding could be exhausting work. She lay down on her side, looking at her friend. She smiled before shutting her eyes.

IC (Vanndred, The Stray Tach):

The Chistori nodded slowly. "That's good." He hoped she was right; he was light on funds enough as it is. Getting his armor back online would seriously help.

Vanndred bit a roasted vegetable off his last kebab. "Could I make some sort of appointment for you to take a look, then?"

Raltz breathed heavily as the lieutenant's voice crackled again. It was crystal-clear, in that Raltz could hear every single crackle and distortion. He composed himself; the rest of his squad was clearing out the rest of the scavengers from this group. He took a deep breath, coinciding with the sound of one of his trooper's flamethrowers. "Understood, ma'am," he growled. I'd like to see you try, he added silently.

He had some comm-tag to do. Wonderful thing when you're coming off a literal combat high. First, his squad. "The lieutenant wants to use minimal lethal force. Continue, but it someone wants to surrender, stun them."

Next, the shuttle. "Cease fire, we're heading in. Circle around and scan for more of these scavengers, and land again when you're finished. We have wounded." The gunship sent back a confirmation, and the sound of blaster cannons ceased.

Though blood was roaring in his ears, he heard the distinctive reports of blasters on stun going off. Good, that would appease the lieutenant. Another voice, one of his squad, crackled in his helmet. "All clear. Five survivors."

"Good. Leave them, move on to the other encampment."

OOC: Okay, apparently I'm not allowed to actually develop any of the Dark Troopers as actual people, so I have to cut part of my last post.

IC: "We should be getting close now," Evnairis said as they moved on. The sounds of battle were growing more distant. Cover was barely needed anymore, now that the scavengers were too far away and too busy engaging in the opposite direction. Still, Mia made sure to examine the area, looking for wrecks they could hide behind quickly if they needed.

"So how big is this junkyard?" Dak asked.

"Well, when you've got hundreds of years worth of ships, speeders, and whatever other bits and pieces of debris end up here, it can get pretty big."

Evnairis paused. "Is that it, there?"

Mia stopped, looking in front. It did look like the wreck of a B-Wing. Structurally, it was still intact, though any further observations would require analysis.

"That might be it," Mia replied. "Let's take a closer look."

IC: Viseria slowly groaned as she woke. She wasn't sure how long she'd slept for, but some of the other vulkars had turned in by now. Several of them lay on the beds surrounding her. Next to her, she quickly spotted Nadia, who lay fast asleep on her side, one of her lekku dangling over her shoulder. Of course, it was hardly surprising that Nadia would be out cold. Between the racing, that fight, and the heavy drink, she was probably not going to wake for a few hours. Of course, going back to sleep wasn't much of an option as Viseria was quickly reminded of one of her friend's flaws: she snored, very loud. Right now was hardly an exception. Nadia seemed to otherwise sleep peacefully, her lekku occasionally twitching, but unless he could find some noise dampeners Viseria it was going to keep her awake.

The Miraluka slowly climbed out of the bed, and made her way towards the door, entering the main Vulkar base. She quickly spotted Gonzai seated at his desk, analyzing a datapad. The Gamorrean looked up as she approached.

"Oh, you're awake?"

"Yeah," Viseria said.

"You never did seem to need much rest anyway," Gonzai said. "I've just been taking care of some of these medical bills. Those injuries are going to cost us a lot of credits. Oh, this will be worse than that time I tried to host a Life Day party."

Viseria smiled at the memory.

"How's Nadia doing?"

"She's out cold," Viseria replied. "Though her snoring might keep everyone else awake."

The gamorrean chuckled. "Yeah, it's not to surprising that she'd be tired. You didn't go get drinks again, did you?"

"We went to this place, the Stray Tach."

"Oh yeah. I've been there a few times. It's not too bad. At least it's better than that joint the Dulok tried to open a few weeks ago."

"You mean the one that had Nadia thinking she was Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise for three straight days."

"Yeah, that was strange. Wasn't it? I guess she got one of her strong drinks."

"Sunshine Surprise, I think."

"That'll do it."

"There was something else that happened in there. I felt something."

"You did?" Gonzai lifted his datapad and opened Viseria's medical file. "Was this another one of your strange overwhelming presences?"

"Yeah, and it happened a few times. There was also this man who showed up, Liare. He sat next to us and I thought I felt something strange. I don't know if I can explain it, but I didn't want to say anything."

"Did he say anything about what he was doing?"

"Something about a downed b-wing," Viseria said.

"That old thing? There were some reports of a b-wing crashing but it didn't sound like there was anything of value in it. Black Sun's probably all over it now anyway."

"Nadia recommended that he speak to you about it, but between the two of us, I don't think I trust him."

"You have always been a good judge of character," Gonzai said.

"Well, when you see the world like I do, you see things others don't."

Gonzai laughed. "Well, this b-wing doesn't have much to do with us, and my information is limited. If he comes by it shouldn't be any harm to us."

"I hope so," Viseria replied. "But I would recommend that you be careful."

"No problem," Gonzai said.

"I think I might need something to do now. You got any work available?"

"We could always use an extra hand in the garage."

"Works for me."

Viseria turned to move towards the elevator. Sliding in her key card, she stepped inside and took it to the garage floor.

Edited by Atton Rand

The Darktrooper rejoined his squad as they approached the second scavenger firebase. He noted his squad of Inquisitorius troopers were joined by the local stormtroopers; they looked like they had taken heavy casualties, but the individual squads had reorganized by the time the shuttle had stopped its attack. They were met by barely a dozen survivors, who surrendered immediately. They were dragged out into the open along with the five stunned scavengers, who were now being shaken awake. It hadn't been the cleanest firefight, but had been less messy than a few of ambushes Raltz had fought through. Still, it was bloody. He directed troops to gather the wounded and dead and take them to the shuttle for triage. They had to work fast.

"Lieutenant," he calmly spoke into his helmet, "This is Sergeant Nightwing. All hostile forces in the area have been neutralized. Approximately one-and-a-half dozen surrendered. If your lead on the New Republic B-Wing hasn't panned out, I'll begin the interrogations."

IC: "I'm entering the b-wing now," Mia said. It had taken a moment to get the cockpit open, but she was quickly able to climb inside. It was a tight space. Her figure just barely slid into the seat.

"How do they fit people into here?" She asked. "Anyway, we've got to find the ship's computer. This looks like it, right here."

A quick push of a button and the screen flickered to life. "Not much in the way of security," she muttered. "This isn't very hard to access. We've got some radio messages, a few star charts. Records of maintenance. Nothing huge but it would give us some idea who we're dealing with."

Mia reached for her comm. "Raltz, I'm sitting in the b-wing right now and I've managed to access the computer. I am beginning the data transfer."

IC: Viseria stepped out of the elevator and looked around the garage. She quickly recognized her swoop, which was being examined by a Twi'lek. Nadia's swoop was in storage. Not surprising, most of the mechanics were probably too nervous to go anywhere near it. Examinations of the swoops was not too unusual, not that she couldn't do her own repairs, but it was always good to make sure the swoops were in working order. Nobody wanted to have an accident on the track.

"Hey," she muttered as she approached the Twi'lek. "I wanted to see if there was any work for me."

The mechanic paused for a moment, before he began speaking. It was Twi'leki, but living in the gang and having one of his kind as a close friend had allowed her to gain a basic knowledge of local alien languages. Of course, she still had yet to learn that of her own people. She did not know if there were any others like her to be found on Taris, and if there were she would not know where to find them. There were plenty of other aliens, but none quite like her. She could only hope that one day she would meet another of her species, but in the meantime, she had to focus on the present. The Vulkars were the closest thing she had to family. Nadia was the closest thing she knew to a sister.

"Mostly it's just basic maintenance," the Twi'lek replied. "Just making sure everything's in working order, but there are some parts we're running low on. If I could get you a list, do you think you could get some of them for me?"

"Of course," Viseria replied. The Twi'lek handed her a datapad. "I'll see what I can do."

"That would be great. I'll see you later."

Viseria made her way back towards the elevator. Not quite the work she was expecting but there wasn't much else going on right now and at least she had something to keep herself occupied.

Raltz's eye's widened to saucers beneath his helmet. "Lieutenant, no!  The information in that ship is highly classified! Cease your actions immediately! My... our mission was to retrieve the datacore and astromech unit, nothing else."

He pointed at his squad's comm and tech engineer. "Triangulate her signal, now!"

OOC: I've been instructed to temporarily withhold any posts that could potentially advance the b-wing plot. It shouldn't last too long, but I have to wait until M31 can write a response before continuing that thread. I guess that means it's time for the everyday life of a swoop gang.

So it would seem that Nadia's open for interaction. I guess it's just a question of who else is.

IC: Nadia groaned as she finally woke. She began to sit up, carefully trying not to accidentally roll onto her lekku. She didn't know how long she'd slept for, though based on her partial infamy for being a deep sleeper and snoring loudly, some time had probably passed. Viseria was no longer lying in the bed next to her, obviously she had woken some time before. That wasn't too surprising. Viseria never did seem to need much sleep, at least not compared to other species.

Nadia stretched as she stood, and made her way towards the door. The hideout was bustling with activity now. She could see members of the gang going about their business. She'd probably overslept, or at least kept everyone else awake. That was when she spotted Viseria stepping out of the elevator to the garage. The Twi'lek quickly approached her friend.

"You're awake?" Viseria asked as she noticed Nadia.

"Barely," Nadia said. "Did I miss anything?"

"Gonzai's busy paying for medical treatment. He says it will cost more than the Life Day Party he tried to throw."

Nadia chuckled at Viseria's remark, remembering that somewhat embarrassing moment in the gang's history. "Oh that was amazing. Just watching him try to find gamorrean-sized robes."

Viseria smiled. "I just hope they're okay."

"I spoke to him after you turned in," Nadia said. "They should be okay, though it might be some time before they can race again. That means there will be more time for us to practice."

Viseria smiled. "I guess that's something," she muttered. "Though I'm not sure when the next race is. One of the mechanics gave me a list of parts he needed." She handed the Twi'lek the datapad. "It's not much but it's something to do."

"I wouldn't mind getting a chance to practice," Nadia said. "Why don't we go see what we can do about these engine parts, then we can go out on the track and get some drinks afterwards.

"Sounds good," Viseria replied. The two women began to make their way towards the exit.

IC:

Costa Vespula would have blood on her hands in minutes. Minutes.

She had meant to go scavenging the Lower City and be back by midnight for a meeting with the rest of her team, but when she had stepped into the taxi meant to take her to her destination, she was told it had been pre-determined. "The archangel," as the young Chiss cab driver had giddily called the man who bribed her, had showed her a hologram of the Chief Inquisitor's face and asked - through a mix of credits and his "golden beam" -  that Costa be delivered to a specific bar in the Lower City that he'd be knocking back drinks and investigating at.

So here she was. At the end of a cab ride she couldn't escape without violence, outside a bar she was being forced to go to, hearing some Chiss girl far from home gush about how nice Liare was.

Maybe the blood would be her own.

She had decided to camp up the street from the Stray Tach, at some countercultural coffeehouse that was known for having the most eye-popping vine-coffee in the Lower City. Costa paid for two cups of the beverage - one with sugar, cinnamon, and whipped cream of ambiguous age, and one straight - and sat down on the curb outside before the upbeat music and the smells of Tarisian hipster sweat began to give her a headache.

Speaking of headaches, it was time to turn on her earpiece.

"Sarir, I am going to kill you. The only question is if you're going to leave that bar, walk up the street and have a cup of coffee with me first, or if I'll have to Force pull you through the walls of half a dozen buildings before you reach me."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC:

"That is a good question.

The single sentence was all the Chief Inquisitor got in response for several minutes, while Liare gave Sue a friendly smile, dropped some credits on the counter to pay. Not that he exactly rushed through all of it. In fact as seconds stretched into minutes, and minutes into a few more minutes, Costa might have started to suspect that he'd be making her pry him out of the bar. The Zeltron was proven wrong just in time when he emerged from the crowd on the street, waving cheerfully while he walked up to the curb. 

Once he knew she'd seen him he slipped his hands back into his pockets, rifling through them to find a small flask tucked away on his person. The human Inquisitor plopped down on the curb, picked up the coffee with cream, sugar, and cinnamon and casually emptied half the nondescript flask into it before taking a long sip and putting the flask away.

"Hey, boss. I see Ganet really did do me that favor."

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

IC:

"Oh, she has a name this time. That's adorable." She eyed his sugary, spicy, alcoholic vine-coffee with undisguised revulsion and sipped on her own drink. Both hands were cupped around the thin steel container, and she laced her fingers together - the warmth soothed her fingertips and she hmmmed happily before she remembered the nerf herder she was drinking with.

"Tell me you got something while I was being kidnapped."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

OOC: Wait, there's coffee in the Star Wars universe? I didn't realize that was actually a thing.

IC: It had not taken much time to obtain the pieces and return them. Now they just had to wait for their swoops to be ready and they could go practice. In the meantime, there still was not much to be doing. As the two women began to make their way towards the track, they quickly noticed the Stray Tach, the bar they had visited a few hours ago.

"You want to go get a drink before we race?" the Twi'lek asked, half-sarcastically.

"I don't think so," Viseria muttered. "I find that drinking is better for after."

"You're always so worried about safety."

"Well, I'd rather not crash," Viseria said.

"Alright," Nadia said. "That looks like a coffee shop nearby. Why don't we get something that won't impair our driving?"

"After that drink," Viseria muttered. "You could probably use some. Let's go."

The Miraluka quickly moved toward the coffee shop, her Twi'lek friend following. That was until she stopped. "I'm feeling something," she muttered.

"What is it?" Nadia asked.

"Liare is here. The man you spoke to at the Stray Tach."

The Twi'lek looked carefully at the street. It was a bit crowded, but just outside she could barely make out a man who looked familiar. "You sure that's him?"

"Yes," Viseria said, her voice soft. "I think we need to get out of here."

Nadia turned toward her friend. "Is something wrong? You did seem a bit quiet when we met at the Stray Tach."

Viseria paused. She took a deep breath before turning around. "Let's go, before he notices. He won't forget us easily."

"What do you mean?"

"I didn't want to say anything in front of him," Viseria muttered. "All I can tell you is I've got a bad feeling around him, and I'm not sure we can trust him."

"Relax, Viseria. I've got friends in the Empire."

"At least Mia you got to know first," Viseria said. "There's something wrong about this guy."

Nadia paused. She took a moment to think. Viseria's claims might have seemed a but quick, but she did have a way of telling when something was off. Even though Nadia still didn't fully understand her friend's perception, Viseria did often see things that others could not.

"Alright," Nadia said. "If it makes you feel any better, we'll go."

The Twi'lek began to walk away from the coffee shop, moving towards the race track where they had hoped to practice. Viseria began to walk away, breathing a momentary sigh of relief.

IC:

"People generally have names, boss. They're much nicer if you bother to learn them." Liare said cheerily, giving Costa a grin disguised only a little bit by the brim of his coffee cup. Another sip, and his grin turned into a warm smile. He only rolled his eyes a little at his boss' undisguised distaste, and he had to admit; it was a little over-sweet. But coffee on the Insight was generally black, and that's when it wasn't either brown water or coffee mud. He preferred to live a little when he had the chance. Little less sugar, but that was his fault for adding the ne'tra gal.

Aaaaaaanyway.

"'Course I did." He answered finally, taking another sip. "Well, started to. Used the local Imps' sensor logs to figure out about where he crashed. Raltz is out there now, taking his astromech, his computer core, and destroying what's left of the B-Wing. He'll have to find transport somewhere else, easier to catch him. I'd know. Made contact with a local gang, got the name of someone in their crew who might be able to help. I'll talk to him soon."

"Oh yeah." A long sip, then he glanced to his right to look at his boss. "If anyone asks, we run a freighter. You're my boss. We were making a drop, B-Wing guy robbed us, we winged him when he tried to get away, and he crashed here."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

"Not really. I have my earpiece on in case they try and contact me. Coordinated field ops are their forte, not mine."

A pause, and a long sip.

"... , I'm gonna need to get another cup of this before we go."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: Alone on the swoop track. Nothing unusual about that. Aside from the Trandoshan mechanic who had brought the swoops for the Vulkars to use, there was virtually nobody else. That was hardly a bad thing. For Viseria, it meant no crowds. For Nadia, it allowed her to improve her skills for when people would be watching. In any case, there was peace and quiet for now, though that was about to change.

Viseria was the first to climb onto her swoop. The Trandoshan handed her the helmet, which she carefully applied. Her face was still masked of course, and part of her hood was still visible underneath. Still, with her skills it hardly mattered. She kicked the swoop into gear. Moving it onto the track with ease. Nadia grabbed a databad and set a timer. Viseria sat on her swoop. The cool breeze ran through across her. For the first time that day, she felt relaxed. All her tensions seemed to disappear at the seat of her swoop. She could put aside her worries about Laire, her questions about where she came from. All that mattered now, was the track.  Over the loud noise of the engine, Viseria couldn't hear much else. Nadia stood at the side. As Viseria gave her a thumbs up, Nadia gestured to mark the start of the race.

The young Miraluka might have seemed gentle and shy when it came to her personal life, but on the track she was a force to be reckoned with. No sooner had the race started than she was off. She was charging over the speed boosters with ease, and avoiding most of the debris as well. A woman like her had good instincts when it came to racing, one which few could match, except Nadia... most of the time, though they also had the advantage that she was often underestimated by the lesser-educated gangs who often assumed her to be blind.

Nadia watched as her friend's swoop suddenly came to a stop at the finish line. The Miraluka quickly pulled off her helmet as she stepped off her swoop. She was noticeably out of breath, and covered in sweat and dirt. "How'd I do?" She asked.

"Amazing," Nadia said. "As usual."

The Trandoshan quickly ran towards her with a bottle of water, which the Miraluka quickly took a large swig of.

"You think you can go again?"

"Are you kiddin'?" Viseria asked. "I was just getting started."

IC:

The scavengers had appeared to have dispersed; the threat of heavy fire support from the very shuttle they were after looking to be reason enough to not try. Then again, no ever accused them of being reasonable folk, and they could have very well been gearing up for another assault. Regardless, the barrage of fire ended, both from the battered group on the forefront, as well as the one holding base further back. For how long it was impossible to tell, the landing craft was worth millions of credits on the black market, let alone the individual components that could be picked from it's spaceframe.

Further back, the half-operation displays that lined the heavy attack craft's cockpit flickered; which couldn't be anything more than an artifact of the nearly demolished state that the B-Wing was currently in. That is, of course, until the data transfer began from the fighter's computer banks. Before any usable information could be moved, besides a few star charts of the local space, a sharp tone sounded. One by one, the scratched screens flicked off, accompanied by the click of the computers shutting down in response to the Lieutenant's brute-force approach of connecting their systems to an Imperial data network.

IC: Jenth

"I mean, I'm not really doing anything right now or uh, anything," Jenth gave a non-committal shrug, which was about as relaxed as she could possibly get right about then. "If you want, that is. I can totally set up an appointment or something though."

She'd never done that before, but hey whatever the two meter lizard wanted.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

IC: Mia ignored Raltz's message, but paused in surprise as the b-wing's computers began to shut down. A few attempts to reactivate them proved unsuccessful.

"What happened?" Dak asked.

"I'm not sure," the Lieutenant said. "It looks like whoever owned this thing had some kind of security measure involved in case someone tried to access his data. She reached for her comm.

"Raltz, I'm afraid I got some bad news," Mia said. "It appears the owner of this thing was expecting us. There seems to be a security measure designed to prevent anyone from trying to access the data. All the computers shut down, and it doesn't appear they'll be starting back up again."

A few more attempts to turn the computers back on. Nothing happened.

"I'm not sure if we have any useable data in what we've got. When we get back I could see about trying to decrypt it in case there's something hidden, but no guarantees."

Mia quickly climbed out of the cockpit. So far, they had not found much, at least as far as they could tell. Raltz would probably be arriving soon, and to make things worse he was probably going to start interrogations now that the computer was no longer working. Mia knew well her methods were unusual among the Empire. In the past, she had been known to be a more humane officer. Her interrogations with captured rebels had usually been based on developing a trusting relationship, and trying to ensure they received fair treatment for co-operating. It had proven successful, too; not only had she acquired a lot of useful information, but she even managed to turn a few devoted rebels into effective double agents, but she had a pretty strong feeling that Raltz didn't share her views on the subject.

"So what do we do now?" Dak asked.

"Evnairis," Mia said. "You've done your part. We didn't get the information we needed but that wasn't your fault. I also know you didn't mean to be involved with any of this. I will need you to come with me back to the outpost so that we can record your testimony of what happened. After that, you will be released, though I may need to reach you again for further questioning."

Evnairis remained quiet, unsure of what to think. Mercy was not something the Empire was well-known for, though that was a broad generalization and not always an accurate representation of the men and women who actually served it. "Thank you," she finally muttered.

"It's the least we can do for you," Mia said. "Dak, I'll need you to escort her back to the shuttle."

"What about the others?" Evnairis asked.

"I'll do what I can for them," Mia said. "I can't make any promises."

"What about you?" Dak asked.

"I'm going to see if I can salvage anything else from here, then I'll report back. You should probably go before the shooting starts up again."

Dak nodded and began walking away. Mia pulled out her comm. "Raltz, I am sending one of the scavengers to the shuttle under the escort of one of my stormtroopers. She is not to be touched. You don't speak to her, question her, or in any way harm her. Understand?"

Now for the tricky part: figuring out where to find an astromech droid in a b-wing...

Raltz didn't respond, stunned. Over his twenty-eight year military career, he had rarely seen such a combination of obstinacy, incompetence, and disrespect. He had no more words for Mia Arkada. He composed himself, before cycling his comm frequency.

"Inquisitors, I am sorry to report that as a result of the local lieutenant I brought along, the ship's systems appear to have been wiped. She has ignored my advice and standard operating procedure. I still plan on recovering the datacore and astromech. I was planning on initiating standard Inquisitorius cleanup procedure, and wanted to confirm if you wanted me to take any... special action."

Nearing the end of his transmission, his comm trooper pointed to the southeast. "Half a click that way, sir." Raltz nodded, and took a running start before his jumppack activated.

Edited by Keeper of Kraata

IC:

Costa took a long look at Liare. His jaw was slightly slack. 

"This is Vespula..."

Liare was staring back at her. What did he expect her to do, let it slide?

"Detain her and her squad. Take care of the rest yourself. I'm bringing Sarir."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

"Acknowledged, Inquisitor. I shall keep you informed."

As he began his descent Raltz spotted the stormtrooper escorting a scavenger walking away from a piece of wreckage, that, upon closer inspection, might have been a B-Wing fighter at one point. The Darktrooper landed, shaking the earth. Repeater at the ready, he approached the wreck. He noted the position of the cockpit and any weapons that by some small chance could have withstood the combination of the crash and Mia's bumbling, angling away from them. He opened his commlink to his squad, to key them in on what was happening in case the other stormtroopers did anything rash.

"Arkada, get out of the ship and disarm yourself. I am placing you placing you and your command under arrest under Inquisitorius mandate twenty-four. Chief Inquisitor's orders."

OOC: Okay now, I didn't even know it was possible to fit an astromech into a b-wing. I know it's usually done with an x-wing, y-wing, and a-wing, but that's not what we're working with here.

IC: Mia had to search thoroughly. It was obvious the astromech couldn't have been stored in the cockpit, and there was no spot designed for it to be placed like on many other rebel fighters. That meant it had to be hidden in something. Possibly in one of the maintenance hatches, and that was assuming the owner hadn't taken it already. The other possible location was in storage. Usually that wasn't used for much more than essentials, but if the droid was small enough it might have made a suitable hiding place.

She approached the small storage area and opened the hatch. Inside, she was surprised to see there was an astromech droid somewhat stuffed in, though it seemed to be deactivated. She looked at it with intrigue. Raltz evidently thought there was something of value in it. She opened a small hatch, finding what appeared to be a small microchip which she removed. She examined it carefully when her comm went off. She reached for it, and was surprised by the voice she heard.

Dak was following orders, escorting Evnairis towards the shuttle when it happened. They had gotten some distance when they saw Raltz flying over them. They were able to quickly move towards a downed y-wing, and fortunately it seemed that in Raltz's charge towards Mia, he had failed to notice them just yet.

"What's going on?" Evnairis asked.

"Change in plans," Dak said. "You got a comm?"

"Yeah," Evnairis pulled a small comm link out of her pocket and handed it to Dak, who quickly adjusted the frequency so that only Mia would hear.

"Lieutenant," the Stormtrooper whispered. "Something's wrong. It looks like Raltz is planning some kind of mutiny."

"What do you mean?"

"He's been requesting authorization to take 'special action,' and he's moving your way now, by jumppack."

Mia could barely wrap her mind around what was going on. This stormtrooper had done nothing but disobey orders, and it sounded like he wanted to take command. That didn't leave much. There was just one thing she could do before Raltz arrived.

"Okay, change in plans," Mia said. "See if you can find another way out of here. Your top priority is to keep Evnairis safe. Understand?"

"Copy that,"

Dak turned toward Evnairis. "You're a salvager, right, from the lower city?"

"Yes,"

"How do you normally get down here? You have a ship or something?"

"Normally we'd just use the elevators. There's a few around the edges of the junkyard. If we can find one they should take us right to the lower city."

"that's probably our best option, then," Dak said. "let's move!"

Mia could feel the ground shaking as Raltz landed in front of her. 

"I should have known you'd try to kill me," she said. 

Edited by Atton Rand

IC:

The only sound emanating from the human Inquisitor was the long sip as he downed the rest of his coffee in silence. The last swallow was thick and sickly sweet, the concentration of ne'tra gal, sugar, and cinnamon at the bottom of the cup. Individually delicious, but ultimately unpleasant altogether. Funny. Even he could see how that was appropriate. Once the initial surprise subsided, the Inquisitor's face settled into a cool, hard mask. He set the empty cup carefully on the curb and stood, pivoting to start walking briskly towards the quickest way to access the scrapyard. 

"On our way, Raltz." He said smoothly into the comm, buttoning his coat and re-affixing the emblem of the Inquisitorius to his lapel. Not his usual suave tone, smooth more like the way a blade's edge was smooth. Fitting, given that the Inquisitor produced his lightsaber and secured it to a clip on the outside of his coat.

"This is my mess, Chief. I'll correct it as necessary."

fK5oqYf.jpg

DT-204 set his repeater on stun. "I am placing you under arrest for subverting an Inquisitorial mandate, Arkada. Whether I kill you or not is not my decision to make. Now, relinquish your equipment and put your hands behind your head."

IC (Vanndred, The Stray Tach):

With one bite, Vanndred finished off what was left on his last kebab. "I can head back to my place and pick up my armor real quick to take back to your workshop. Would that work?"

IC:

Nobody made elevators with music anymore.

On Zeltron, the never-ending party that Costa had never known, there was music everywhere; on Coruscant, whenever the Inquisitors were allowed outside of their isolated training centers, there were plain, non-offensive jingles that sometimes rang in your ears until they felt like screams. But Taris' elevators felt like those she'd grown up using on Nar Shaddaa, rust-orange and creaking like they were fit to give way. The old childhood fear welled in her gut, and she reached for Daddy's arm--

--and found it. Her grip on Liare's elbow, crooked for easy access to his lightsaber, tightened momentarily.

"Hold the elevator," she heard herself say. "Wait for the doctor. And whatever you do...don't be too hard on yourself."

Liare said nothing. The Inquisitorius badge on his chest was clearly tearing him apart more than the wails of an old, dead elevator.

The death knells stopped, and they stepped out. 

"Liare..."

Sarir looked up mutely.

"...I'll buy you another coffee at the briefing."

She smiled at him faintly and moved her blaster to a holster affixed to her belt, along the small of her back. The black metal stuck out against her smooth magenta skin, and as she walked, the skin shed - Costa left behind in the rust and junk, the Chief Inquisitor's walk growing strident.

"Sergeant, this is Chief Inquisitor Vespula. Sarir is at the elevator, Veyura inbound. I have your signal and I'm moving on it now. Is the garrison giving you trouble?"

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

OOC: I guess we're at the part where we start to see some of the division among the Empire. That would make sense. With the Emperor gone, especially without any real warning (the most he had was the thirty seconds it took for Vader to throw him into the shaft), I could see there being different groups within the Empire that, while still supporting it, have different ideas on how it should be structured. Evidently Mia and Raltz have different views in that regard.

IC: "Disobeying orders?" Mia asked as she reluctantly dropped her pistol and put her hands up. It was obviously not a smart move to try and fight back. She just hoped Dak wasn't foolish enough to try and come back for her. That did stop her from smiling at the irony of the remark. "That's funny, coming from the man who has done nothing but try to tell his own C.O. how to do her job this entire operation. Our mission was to locate the b-wing and retrieve its data."

Dak quickly took cover behind the wreckage of an old TIE Fighter. Evnairis was next to her. "I can see the elevator," The Stormtrooper said. "Once we're in the Lower City we should be okay, but we'll need a place to lay low."

"Like what?"

"I know one place we could try," Dak said. "Mia's got some friends who know this area. If we're lucky, one of them can get us somewhere safe. It's just a quick sprint. Ready?"

Evnairis nodded. The two women ran towards the Elevator. Evnairis was the first to enter. Dak took a moment to look around. It seemed most of the dark troopers were too busy to notice. A part of her wanted to go back for Mia, but she also had her orders. She carefully backed into the elevator and started it. The doors shut, and she breathed a sigh of relief as she felt it moving. A few minutes later, it stopped, and they were able to step out into the streets of the Lower City.

"So what do we do now?" Evnairis asked.

"I promised to keep you safe, and that's what I'm going to do. We need to find a place to lay low. Mia had some contacts in the local gangs. There's a Twi'lek she did some services for and who might be able to assist us. Hopefully, we can find her at the swoop track."