Star Wars: Interregnum

sunflower

IC:

Kill me.

"I thought this planet would be way cooler than it is," Costa said wistfully. "But the whole place makes my head ache. Four thousand years, and this place is still just...here. Here and raw. It's like when I was a kid and I'd yank out a tooth, and then have to wait for one to grow back in. I'd just squeeze my tongue through a gap for months."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

IC (Raia Veyura, Taris junkyard)

"Malak wasn't a gentle dentist," Veyura replied dryly as she kicked the speeder bike into gear. "The planet still hasn't truly healed from his bombardment. Perhaps it never will."

Veyura paused, steering the bike back towards the city, and for a few seconds the only sound between the two Inquisitors was the humming of repulsors and the whistle of the air rushing past.

"Did you ever study the theory of wounds in the Force?"

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

IC:

"Mhm." Though she had never felt one for herself, Costa had done her share of reading into wounds after complaints from Inquisitors who had passed by the rocky graveyard that was once Alderaan. The trauma of so many lives ripped away at once, by one man's cruelty, had created a hellish pocket of space in the Core Worlds where comfort was a distant memory. Inquisitors, more keen to the Force and trained personally by the Sith, felt the tugs of a wound more fiercely, which is why routes that Alderaan was once vital to were now mostly avoided by Imperial elite.

And that was all due to the arrogance of the Navy. The wound created by a Sith, on the other hand, even a weak grasper like Malak...

"History's never quite through with places like this."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

OOC: Hey everyone! I have some amazing news. MIA LIVES! See, I have irrefutable proof:

FullSizeRender

So it turns out Mia just got warped back in time a few thousand years to the Old Republic, but she's fine. Apparently she became a Jedi at some point and saved the galaxy. That's pretty impressive. :P

IC: (Nadia, Taris Lower City)

"So what do we do now?" Nadia asked.

Viseria had been doing her best to comfort her friend, but she didn't have much of an answer. The most they could do was wander and see what happened.

Both women were struggling with their emotions. Neither one felt particularly like getting out their swoops, and there didn't seem to be much else to do.

"Maybe we should just go back," Nadia said.

OOC: I keep trying to leave Nadia open for interaction but I'm not sure if anyone is able to meet her.

Edited by Atton Rand

IC:

"One of the LifeDays shall do. Its facilities should be sufficient. Book a room near a secondary escape route, as well as set back from the main entrance if you can manage it. Which location should I proceed towards?" Rebekah inquired, departing in much the same way as she had arrived; through the alley and back onto a primary street, heading east away from the scrapyards. She idly used her free hand to try and correct (at least partially) what her helmet had done to her hair, given the part she would need to play when she arrived.

"How is the security on other regions of the planet?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

IC:

"Perhaps it may be possible to locate transport in one of the less concentrated hemispheres, then." The rogue Novatrooper mused aloud, watching for any signs that would indicate the proximity to her destination. "Any fortune with the Inn?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

IC:

"There is a LifeDay five blocks from the location of the bar where I first made contact with you. Your room has been booked on the second floor of A wing, nearby a fire escape that can only be accessed or disembarked via the back of the wing - coincidentally on the opposite side of the building from the street entrance. I hope you aren't a particularly poetic soul, NT-081. The view might leave a little to be desired."

Silence for a few seconds.

"Do you like underground shockboxing?" the voice in the earpiece asked suddenly.

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

The Twi'lek was momentarily shocked as Viseria grabbed her and pushed her aside. They were in an alley of some kind. There was a woman in front of them, carrying what looked like an instrument case. Her hair was a mess, and she looked like someone who was trying not to draw too much attention. Nadia didn't recognize her from any of the cantinas, probably an off-worlder.

"That was.close," Nadia muttered as she turned towards Viseria.

"I'm sorry," Viseria said to the stranger. "We should have seen you coming."

"I guess you're new around here," Nadia said. "I'm Nadia. This is my friend Viseria."

IC:

"That should do quite nicely. I do not expect any visitors, but that room will be excellent if I have them. As for shockboxing, I cannot say I have had much opportunity for the viewing of sports in the last few ye-"

Rebekah's answer faltered and died, almost at the same time as both eyebrows arched high. Evidently someone had entered the alley while she was attending to the interior of the building, and were behaving rather... Oddly, all things considered.  A Twilek and a Miraluka. The trooper gave a friendly smile while they apologized and introduced themselves, using her free hand to adjust her glasses and continue smoothing out her hair. 

"Pleasure. I should really be going, though." She gave a small wave with her gloved hand, then pointed at the earpiece in her ear. "Meeting someone. Do not want to be late."

fK5oqYf.jpg

"Of course," Nadia said. "If you need anything, you can try the Vulkar Base near that Imperial Outpost. Gonzai should be able to help you. If you need anything to do, you could check out the swoop races. Oh, and there's a really awful cantina just called "Restaurant." Stay away from it. The place is run by a Dulok and if you think Hutt cuisine's bad..."

IC:

"I appreciate the information." Rebekah said slowly, smiling and waving again before stepping around the duo and continuing through to exit the alley. Once she was back on the actual street, and she had put a little distance between herself and the two, she allowed herself a slightly confused blink before addressing her mission controller again.

"No, some people in the alley. Apparently street gangs offer help now. What was I saying?"

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

"You were telling me how excited you were for the chance to watch the highest-quality hologram available of the Outer Rim shockboxing finals. You're now Zam Cradlewood, a newlywed with a slight gambling problem who happened to be with me touring the Outer Rim on fight night. Your dream is to use any winnings from the Hutts tonight to buy us a real honeymoon on Zeltros. I can hardly wait."

Silence, but not the typical silence that Dana did as she performed research or sabotage. This sounded more as though she were rebooting her composure.

"Tull Raine is going to be defending his title against Migo Alizare Migo. The smart money according to underground betting sites is for Raine to shatter his ninth consecutive jaw tonight - coincidentally, the outcome that you, Zam, have bet the house on. Literally. Our whole house. Very irresponsible, but I doubt I'll be complaining from a balcony on Zeltros."

Silence.

"You should be fine. Raine wears power armor and reinforced gloves into each fight these days, no one has stood a chance against him since he beat his uncle to death for the belt. Poor sportsmanship all around." Dana ahemed slightly. "Which I learned from monitoring the rec rooms onboard Regency, rather than abusing Imperial resources in any fashion."

Ahem.

"Haiii, Zam. My name is Dana Cradlewood. Your personal wife."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

OOC: oh, we actually have some gay characters? I didn't realize. That's a good touch. There is probably a lot to be said about the lack of gay characters in Star Wars. Even in the expanded universe, which had made an obvious attempt to add gender and racial variety, there was as far as I know, a grand total of one person who was intended to be gay (Juhani), and even then it's mostly subtext. I know J.J. Abrams was hoping to change that. Interstingly, I recently re-watched The Force Awakens, and I noticed a scene where Finn asked Rey if she had a boyfriend. Rey never answers one way or the other, and just says "none of your business." It led me to wonder if Rey could later be revealed to be homosexual.

IC: Nadia watched as the young woman left.

"There's something she's not telling," Viseria muttered.

"You think she's another fugitive?"

"I'm not sure."

IC:

"Pleasure to meet you, then." The rogue Novatrooper replied, with what almost sounded like the faintest hint of amusement, while she processed everything that Dana had laid out. The material regarding shockboxing was easy enough to absorb; though she was not actually an avid fan of the sport, she was aware of the basics. Further research could be completed easily once she arrived. The specifics of her own alias and that of Dana herself was even simpler, but required the extrapolation of mannerisms and potential filler for the story in the event that anyone felt talkative. 

Not too difficult, but she would have to pin it all down before she arrived.

"It would seem that someone is a fan of shockboxing."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

"I have no idea what you are talking about."

"Eazy used to talk about shockboxing a lot on his missions. RT-1964. He was very enthusiastic in detailing the ins and outs of the sport to his squadmates. One day it even made me curious. I used my hour off to watch a few matches on the HoloNet. I certainly understand why people find it a cathartic experience."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC:

"RT-1964." Rebekah repeated softly, placing the operating number almost instantly. One of the Stormtroopers at her apartment. One of her mission's casualties. ... No, she knew that was not quite right. It was a way to frame the incident without having to admit culpability. "I am sorry. He performed his duty well. I recognized the maneuvers, they were the same taught while I was in training. He was good."

"I regret that his fate could not be avoided."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC:

"You do not need to remind me of his capability, NT-081. Or apologize for your own. I am the one who sent him to your apartment, just as I sent you to deal with him. I accepted the inevitability of loss of life from the moment I was placed onboard Regency. I believe you are doing the right thing, and he was in your way. I am taking a stance that could be aptly described as pragmatic. Perhaps cruel. Certainly robotic. But it is my stance. As long as you stand on your principles, I can do no less. Your accommodations should be a block ahead."

-Tyler

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC:

"Recognizing the inevitability or necessity of an event does not make it less unfortunate." The trooper pointed out softly, continuing down the street towards her destination. The Inn's sign was just barely visible among the visual 'noise' of the other businesses, but still easy enough to perceive. It would only take a moment. A moment she would use to continue the earlier line of thought. "From the moment I perceived the disconnect between my orders and the ideals I enlisted to support, my actions became inevitable. In my opinion, they became necessary. That does not mean that I do not regret forcing my compatriots to hunt down a friend, or that my purpose has been treated as traitorous any less unfortunate."

"However, that is perhaps a conversation for another time." 'Zam' continued, using the sentence to indicate a transitioning of behaviors. She had just stepped through the doors to the inn, and transformed her expression into a wide, satisfied grin; she brought a hand up to her ear, pressing on the earpiece and cocking her head to one side while she continued in a much more enthusiastic tone. "Yeah, yeah, babe I just got here. Already scouted out the match times locally, so i won't miss a thing. Room'll be all cozy for when you get here. Love you lots, and I'll talk to you in just a sec, but I gotta check in."

"Hi!" She greeted the receptionist cheerily, waving a little with her free hand while she stepped up to the counter. "Here to check in. Should be under 'Cradlewood'. While I'm here, how do you guys handle drinks? Like, is that a tab at the end, or payment per order?"

The receptionist, clearly more than a little apathetic about their job, handed over her room key and blinked slightly at her apparent enthusiasm. "The former. Have a good stay."

"Thanks!" Rebekah replied brightly, taking the key card with her free hand and throwing her bags back over her shoulder while she walked to the elevator. She didn't have long to wait, and she was on the right floor headed towards her room soon enough.

"I have arrived successfully, Dana."

fK5oqYf.jpg

There was a brief silence between the two young women. At least their momentary encounter had provided a distraction from their grief.

"We should probably get back to the base," Viseria said.

"Yeah," Nadia replied.

The Twi'lek began to walk in the general direction of the Vulkar Base. 

OOC: Some interaction would probably be good, but I seem to be having some trouble getting my characters into positions where that can happen. Dak has the problem of being stuck in the Vulkar Base (seeing as she is trying to lay low), which makes it hard to do much with her at the moment. Hopefully I can get something with Layna soon. In her last post, she was asking about bounty hunting assignments and I figured M31 should be the one to offer them. That would leave Nadia as the only one who is really open for interaction at the moment.

Edited by Atton Rand

IC: (Nadia, Vulkar Base)

The Twi'lek reluctantly stepped into the Vulkar Base, the Miraluka at her side, as usual. Not much to see, but Nadia quickly spotted Dak, who seemed to be alone in the corner, apparently distracted. Not surprising. It was probably time she broke the news to her anyway.

The Twi'lek reluctantly approached the former Stormtrooper, taking a seat next to her. "I'm afraid I've got some bad news," Nadia said.

"I know," Dak replied. "Gonzai told me." On her other side, Viseria sat down. 

"So what happens to me, now? The events will be distorted enough that everyone will think I'm a traitor. I won't be able to go home again."

"Mia was a good woman," Viseria said. "You're always welcome here. You're also not the first one whose been stuck."

Viseria paused, thought about what to say. "You know I never knew my parents, and I've never seen another of my kind. All I ever knew was that I was something called a Miraluka, and I saw the world... differently from everyone around me. Then I met Nadia, and the Vulkars took us in."

"It's true," Nadia said. "She never would have survived without me."

"Hey," Viseria said. "I was the one who saved you from that drunken Toydarian."

Nadia smiled. "That's true." She turned toward Dak. "The point is, you're one of us now. Many of the Vulkars here had nothing, but now... now we're family."

Dak smiled slightly. It didn't do much to make Mia's death any easier, but at least she wasn't entirely alone. "There's something else," she said.

Nadia stopped. "What?"

"While you were out, I met... well... turns out Mia has a sister, who is also staying here."

Nadia remained unsure what to say. Mia had not exactly talked much about her personal life, at least not before being stationed on Taris.

"I don't remember her mentioning anything about a sister," Nadia finally said.

"Neither did I," Dak noted. "She's a bounty hunter, Layna Arkada."

"Oh," Nadia said. "This should be interesting."

Edited by Atton Rand

IC:

"I doubted they would respond well to, or believe in our cover story if I used, my usual demeanor." The rogue Novatrooper said, reverting to said demeanor now that she was out of earshot of any staff or guests. Her room was exactly where Dana said it would be, and unlocked after the second try of running the key card through the finicky card reader. "I've arrived."

The room itself wasn't anything special, but it was exactly what she needed. Two beds, hologram for viewing (in her case) the shockboxing matches set up near the beds, a desk with a terminal for accessing the extranet, minibar, and a way to contact customer service. The door near the entrance looked to be the bathroom. Nothing glamorous but more than sufficient for a place to hide out. She dropped what she was carrying on the second bed, and perched on the edge of the other one.

"When we leave a review, we should note that we seem to have been fortunate regarding pests."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: As Layna stepped back into the Vulkar Base, she quickly spotted Dak, who was seated with two gang members. One was a green Twi'lek, the other... that was strange. She looked human, but that hood obscured most of her face.

The Twi'lek quickly perked up on seeing Layna. "You must be Layna," She said.

"That's me. I guess Dak told you."

"Yeah. I'm Nadia. This is Viseria. We knew your sister. I'm sorry for your loss."

"Anything at the office?" Dak asked.

"Not at the moment," Layna said. "Unless you know any bounties."

"We did encounter a strange woman earlier," Nadia said. "She was carrying a large instrument case, but seemed to be talking to someone on an earpiece. She seemed like someone who wanted to disappear."

"That is strange, but doesn't mean it's someone with credits on them."

"I don't know." Nadia said. "All I can say is I've got friends all over Taris and I didn't recognize her."

"It could be a new one in which case I could get a leg up over the others. Can you show me where you saw her?"

Edited by Atton Rand

IC:

"I do not find that exceptionally difficult to believe."

IC:

"You're not so helpful, then. Well, wherever it is, it's Lower City. Not Upper. So where's the elevator?"

IC:

Once the Vulkars were gone, Liare slipped silently out of his booth and back up to the bar. It was a pretty marked departure from when he was there earlier, a quiet, slow walk compared to the cheery strut he'd exhibited earlier. The change extended to his expression; he still gave Sue a friendly smile, but it was dimmer. Tired, compared to the endless enthusiasm.

"Something strong, please." The human Inquisitor glanced at the time and frowned a little, eyebrows furrowing, before he looked back to the Wookie bartender. "Strong enough to take the edge off in, say, the next twenty minutes? Failing that, whatever I had last time. Gonna need it. Please and thank you."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: (Nadia/Layna, Taris Lower City)

The alley hadn't proved too much of a walk, and was largely uneventful.

"You say this is where you ran into her?" Layna asked.

"That's right," Nadia said.

"She nearly ran into her," Viseria explained. "We were just wandering, not sure what to do and then suddenly she was in front of us."

Layna smiled. "Okay, let's take a look around."

She stepped into the ally, looking around. There wasn't much to this place. There was some graffiti, which wasn't too surprising but only one real building. It looked like an apartment complex of some kind, with a door that required a key card to open.

"She was coming out of the alley?" Layna asked.

"Yeah," Nadia said. "We didn't see where from."

"I could have been from here," Layna said. "If she knew how to get past the security, but why would a musician take the back exit?"

"She could be reclusive," Viseria said. "Maybe she doesn't like attention."

"Perhaps," Layna said. "But this door is locked. Not very well, but it wouldn't exactly be open to guests easily. Let me take a look at this."

Working as a hired gun in the outer rim had given Layna a few useful skills. A lock like this may have kept out the average gang member, but it was pretty easy for her to pick. It only took a moment to remove the cover and begin pulling out wires. A little rerouting and the door swung open.

"She probably managed to steal a keycard, which would not have been noticed as easily. Okay, you two keep watch out here. I'm going to look around."

As Layna stepped into the newly opened door, Viseria and Nadia stood at opposite sides.

IC: Kaz Arrives! The outpost will be secured!

With a crash the door to the Imperial Garrison command room was kicked open by one Adachihara Kazuma. The man always had a flair for dramatic entrances and this was nothing out of the norm. Much like this command room for the matter: blinking monitors illuminating the faces of anxious officers, pungent coffee smells emanating from those officers, and musty gray walls that made the officers anxious in the first place. Individuality wasn't really the Empire's fortee. Once you'd toured an Imperial Garrison, you've basically toured them all, which made navigation easy enough. It also created predictable responses. Such as the fact that now every trooper in the room had their blasters pointed Kaz's way. 

Just the way he liked it.

A grin began to spread across on the man's face and his eyes appeared to spark as he took on a savage stance. Yet before he could even crack his neck, the garrison commander ranwobbled over to position himself between Kaz and the troopers. The man, while he had long abandoned his physicality to snacks, was still an astute commander. His eyes had been quick to notice the saber resting at Kaz's belt and that underneath his vibrant red jacket were the battle scared remains of an Inquisitor's robes and uniform. Let it be known however, that this commander was only quick to draw when it came to monetary matters, and thus a brawl with an Inquisitor was the last thing he wanted to do. 

Kaz on the other hand could only click his tongue as he ignored the platitudes and apologies of the nervous commander. It was one thing to have his fun interrupted, it was another to be greeted about a spineless commander more concerned with wealth than military dominance. It was no wonder Costa seemed to look down on the Empire if these kinds of morons were her daily experience. Although right now he had little sympathy for the woman who had assigned him this bore fest.

"Ah shut up!"

His patience having long since worn thin, Kaz's polite suggestion was merely his way of silencing the greedy commander. "I'm here to secure so do a headcount. Let me know if anyone's missing." With a wave of his hand, Kaz dismissed the commander and found himself a empty officer's chair to recline in. As he made himself comfortable, the Kaz used his transmitter to patch into Costa's line once more. 

"I have arrived. He's doing a headcount. Next time can I get the fight?" 

Short and sweet words tinged with an aggressive unrest, the standard Kaz approach to communication. 

ryuki-kr-miho.jpg

IC Odiina:

The duo arrived back at the outpost just in time to catch the tail end of an Inquisitor ordering the commander to do a headcount. to find things were much the same as when they'd left. Which is to say that there was little to nothing going on.

OOC: OFI

Edited by The Amaztastical Lynn

IC: (Layna Arkada, Apartment)

The place was clearly run down, and in obvious need of maintenance. It was probably a fairly cheap apartment, and with the building as neglected as this it was a wonder the owner had even bothered to put as much security as there was. It was the maintenance lift that caught Layna's attention. She approached it and inspected the machine. It seemed to be working, though for the average user a passcard would be needed. Fortunately, the security was pretty weak and it only took a moment to rewire it. The elevator door sprung open almost immediately. Based on Nadia's account, the woman had been leaving the alley. If indeed this was where she had come from, and she had managed to steal a card or otherwise bypass the system, it could be a very effective way to sneak out unnoticed.

Layna stepped into the old but still reasonably intact elevator. There were a few floors to choose from, and she didn't know exactly which one she needed to find. She started by pushing a random button. The elevator doors closed, and she could feel it moving upward. A few minutes later, the doors opened, and she was able to step off. The elevator opened towards a small corridor, one which she walked down carefully. She didn't know what to expect, but figured it was best to avoid drawing attention if possible. Stealth would be the best option. If she was wrong about her target, she could sneak out before anyone knew she was there. Otherwise, it still would have been best to know what she was dealing with before engaging.

Surprisingly enough, the corridor proved silent. Upon turning the corner, all Layna could see was the aftermath of something. A few stormtroopers lay on the ground. She couldn't tell for sure if they were dead or unconscious. She pulled the helmet off one and checked for vital signs. She seemed to be alive, though she was going to need some medical aid. That wasn't for her to deal with at the moment. Layna was more interested in the room they had been investigating. There wasn't much to be found. Whoever owned this apartment had left in a hurry. The number of stormtroopers lying around would suggest that the former tenant was of interest to the Empire, but also knew how to outsmart them. Based on her deductions so far, the owner had probably planned an escape route well in advance. It seemed to support the idea that she was on to something, and she only knew of one person who matched what she saw here.

Was that possible? No, it couldn't be. If Layna's understanding was correct, than she may have just found one of the Empire's most wanted fugitives. For now, the best thing to do was to get out. She quickly moved back to the elevator. The doors were fortunately still open, and she pushed the button for the ground floor. The doors closed, and she breathed a sigh of relief. How could she have failed to realize sooner? In her line of work, it was hard not to hear about NT-081, the rogue novatrooper. The Empire had offered a large price for her capture and several Outer Rim worlds had offered rewards of their own. She'd never taken those jobs. Layna may have been a bit more reckless than her sister but she was smart enough to know better than to try and kill an ex-novatrooper. Dealing with criminals, assassins, and other low-lifes was one thing. Taking on an elite soldier was another. Still, she was seeing another opportunity if she could find her.

The elevator door opened and she stepped out. Back into the alleyway, where the two Vulkars were waiting. "Did you find anything?" Nadia asked as Layna stepped outside.

"I may have a name," Layna said. "I can't say for sure who you saw out there, but I think it may have been Rebekah Fell."

"Who?" Nadia stared at Layna.

"Rebekah Fell. NT-018. One of the Empire's most wanted fugitives?"

"You're going to have to explain," Viseria said. 

"She was a Novatrooper who went rogue after trying to kill several Moffs. They never detailed exactly what happened, but several worlds have offered a lot of money for taking her, not to mention the reward from the Empire itself. She's known to be very hard to catch."

"Wait," Nadia said. "You're telling me you want to track down and kill a rogue Novatrooper who nearly killed some of the Empire's highest ranking officers and who has so far evaded their best soldiers? Are you insane?"

Layna smiled. "Who said I wanted to kill her? I've got a far better idea..."

Edited by Atton Rand

IC (Raltz Nightwing, Ship Graveyard):

DT-204 breathed a small sigh of relief as he watched the Sentinel that had taken them here leave, knowing its hold was full of the regulars. Both their casualties and the casualties from his squad were on board as well; one was in critical condition, but the other was just rattled. The rest were with the Inquisitors and the technicians that were extracting the B-Wing's datacore. One more call to make. As he contacted the Insight, Raltz looked at the sky; the ambient light from the city drowned out most of the starscape, but a few points of light pushed their way through anyway. Some were moving; orbital stations, vessels. He wondered which one the Insight was.

"The Chief Inquisitor has ordered the use of terror troopers to secure and patrol this junkyard. One company should do."

The voice crackled in with a pronounced Core accent. "Are you sure deploying terror troopers would be a good idea? They can be... unreliable. Wouldn't the planetary forces be better suited so we can deploy resources elsewhere?"

"Negative. The inquisitors believe that this is a sensitive operation, and I recommended the terror troops for their ability to keep a minimal profile."

There was a brief pause. "Very well. They should hit planetside in less than an hour."

Raltz acknowledged, and ended the transmission. He did not envy that dispatcher; he liked to think he was more comfortable with those abominations than most, and they still creeped him out. Then again, who was he to judge?

The times, they are a-changing...

IC: "Are you insane?" The Twi'lek asked as they stepped out of the alley and back into the streets.

"I've had worse ideas," Layna replied.

"You're seriously saying you want to find this woman, talk her into assisting you in avenging your sister, and in exchange do whatever you can to keep her out of the Empire's hands?"

"Pretty much. Sounds like a good deal to me."

"You seriously want to get yourself into that kind of trouble?"

"Well don't you want to find out what happened to Mia? Look, I'm not asking you to get involved in anything. When we find her, you can leave if you want."

"So how exactly do we find her?" Viseria asked.

"Good question," Layna said. "We are dealing with a crowded environment so blending in wouldn't be too hard, but that would make it likely that someone would have seen her."

Nadia was about to speak up when Layna cut her off.

"She probably wasn't wearing her armor or anything to stand out, but her arrest warrant is all over the holonet which means getting a photograph wouldn't be too hard. We also seem to be the only ones who know she's on Taris which means we don't have to worry about other bounty hunters, though we can hopefully reach her before the Empire does. So all we need to do is find out what we can about her whereabouts without drawing attention or alerting anyone else that a wanted fugitive is on Taris."

"And how exactly are we going to do that?" Viseria asked.

"Easy. We just need a cover story. I can get a photo off the Holonet easy enough, and fortunately I have a pair of gang members who can use it."

"Oh you have got to be kidding me," Nadia said. "You want us to pretend this rogue novatrooper is someone who owes the Vulkars money?"

"Exactly. If anyone knows something, they'll be quick to reveal it."

Nadia groaned. Viseria still remained skeptical of the idea. "Fine," the Twi'lek muttered. "This had better be worth it! You owe me one!"

OOC:

EDIT: I've got some new characters to introduce. Two new players who I hope will set up some new stories. I'm open to the idea of developing a few more (I have wondered about trying to really push my comfort zone by introducing a Hutt), but it would probably be good to focus on the ones I have for now.

IC: (Dak, Vulkar Base)

"You okay," Gonzai said as he approached Dak, the young stormtrooper looked up at the large Gamorrean.

"Yeah," Dak muttered.

"You want to talk about it?"

Dak paused, and took a deep breath. "I keep thinking about what happened in the scrapyard. I keep remembering the last time I saw Lt. Arkada. Her last words to me were to run, to get Evnairis to safety. How's she doing?"

"I hear she's proven useful up in the garage,"

"That's good," Dak muttered. "I still don't have anything to do."

"It's okay. Mia did a lot for us."

"Yeah," Dak muttered. "I've been wondering, if there was anything I could have done differently. If I'd just been there-"

"You would have been dead, too," Gonzai said.

"But why me?" Dak said. "Why not Mia or any of the other stormtroopers I was serving alongside? Why am I still alive."

"Dak," Gonzai said. "There was nothing you could have done. You followed her instructions the best you could and completed your objective. From what you've described, there's no way you could have gotten to her in time."

IC: (Kyra, Cantina)

The former Rebel took a heavy swig of her drink. She didn't pay much attention to the environment around her. It was hard to imagine once that she had been anything other than an alcoholic and an emotional wreck, looking to waste away on some backwater world. She had only been on Taris a few months, having left the New Republic after the Battle of Endor. She could still remember the old days, when she was never more comfortable than at the controls of her Y-wing. Back then, it seemed like there was a point to all the fighting, like things would actually get better. In those days, the fleet was much smaller, and there was a greater sense of camaraderie. She could still remember a lot of the rebels from that time, many of whom could get things done.

She could hardly forget the stories she'd heard about the crew of the Ghost, and admired Captain Hera. Good ol' Hera. Whatever happened to that Twi'lek anyway? If she was still alive, probably the same as Kyra. Then of course the Battle of Yavin happened; one lucky shot blows up the Death Star and suddenly the entire war was about some moron from Tattooine. Nobody seemed to think much of the numerous other great pilots who died in that attack, of whom only two survived. If she had just been on Yavin at the time, she probably could have saved those men. Next thing she knew the alliance was getting ridiculously lenient in its recruiting. First a man who openly admitted he didn't care was being put in charge of important missions, then they gave the title of general to a man who had sold them out to the Empire. Meanwhile, everyone else just seemed to be ignored.

As she took another sip, she could not stop herself from thinking about all the people she had watched die in the field. She was in love once, engaged even, until she was gunned down aboard Tantive IV. Was it worth it? Every stormtrooper she had killed. She still remembered the last words of the many Rebels whose ships were destroyed by Imperial forces while under her command. And what was it all worth? The Empire was still at large and the New Republic officials were too busy arguing among themselves to do anything. Now there was this business about the Inquisitors, rumors mostly. This didn't bother Kyra much; if they even knew she was on Taris they obviously had more important things to worry about than a washed-up ex-soldier. There was some talk about a b-wing crashing into the scrapyard, though why there was so much secrecy over the wreckage was beyond her.

IC: (Tashka, Taris Lower City)

The Torgruta remained calm, vibro-double blade in hand. In front of her were three Beks; a Rodian, Trandoshan, and a Selkath; all armed with their own swords. 

"You Vulkars are so pathetic," the Trandoshan shouted. "The Beks are superior! This is our town, and you are no longer welcome!"

Tashka paused. She stared at the Beks, with little emotion. "You think so?"

"Gonzai is weak! He takes any random kid off the street and calls that a gang."  The Selkath said. "We're not charity here!"

"Look, guys. I'd suggest you walk away now, and I may just let you live."

The Rodian laughed. "I think we should make an example of this one," the Selkath spoke out, his voice sounding calm in his native language. 

"This is your last chance," Tashka said.

"Last chance... yeah, for you!" The Rodian shouted. He laughed briefly, only for his two companions to stare at his pathetic attempt at an insult.

The Selkath was the first to charge at her, with the Trandoshan and Rodian immediately behind. For anyone else, this may have seemed hopeless. Still, she wasn't ready to give up. Within seconds she had blocked the Trandoshan, ducked under a sing from the Selkath, and struck the Rodian, who promptly fell to the ground. Two remained.

There was a brief pause as the combatants stood at arms. "KILL HER!" The Trandoshan yelled, as if his anger was not already obvious. He and the Selkath immediately approached her. First she blocked the Transhoshan, than the struck the Selkath. One opponent was left.

"Hey!" The Trandoshan said, lowering his sword. "I don't want any trouble, okay?" Only a moment ago he was taunting Tashka about his desire to kill her, now he was practically begging for mercy.

"I'll get out of here," He said, turning and running.

"You had your chance," the Togruta said as she followed. A final strike brought the Trandoshan to the ground. She took a moment to catch her breath as she looked at the three Beks she had just killed. Something to brag about the next time she saw Nadia. She turned and began to walk down the street. Those Beks seemed to be getting worse every day. As if their constant cheating wasn't bad enough, now they were apparently making a habit of killing Vulkars. Still, if any of their friends showed up, she'd be ready to deal with them.

OOC: Kyra and Tashka are both open for interaction. Dak to an extent if anyone can figure out how to make it work.

Edited by Atton Rand

[Sue, The Stray Tach, Lower Reaches]

Sue had felt the telltale chill that meant the man was back soon after the Vulkar’s arrived, but as always she had opted to ignore it as usual, paying no more attention to him than she would a normal customer who had slid in and taken a while with his order.  It sometimes happened.  Sue tended to intimidate some people.

She couldn't help noticing that his arrival coincided with the gang members leaving. Not that she blamed him, the Twi’lek at least was a handful.

She nodded silently at his request then turned back to her liquor.  Aside from the general chilling warning that thrummed through her veins, there was something about the man that suggested death or close proximity to it--that haunted look to the eyes born of a disgust and regret.  Sue could sympathize.  She had shot or poisoned several people in her time working in the smuggling circuits.  It had always been in self defense, but it didn’t make it feel any better.

She set the finished Tatooine Sunburn on the counter.  TK zipped over to translate her remarks.

“That’ll take it off in ten.  I would recommend pacing yourself, though.”

Sue comforted herself with the fact that if he was as dangerous as her intuition told her, he would be less so with a some strong alcohol in him.

Edited by Mel

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

IC: (Stray Tach)

The former Rebel watched as the strange man moved toward the counter, a few seats from her. There seemed to be a strange man there, one she didn't recognize but had a feeling was hiding something. He could have been an Imperial Spy, in which case what was he doing on this world? He couldn't have been after her. There was no practical reason for the Empire to waste resources going after her. It's not like she had anything on them. She turned back toward her drink, taking another sip.

Meanwhile, a Togruta entered the cantina. Tashka wasn't in the best of moods at the moment, not surprising. Even a warrior like her would be somewhat agitated with the way Beks had been behaving lately. She took a seat at the bar and turned toward the Wookie. Still, a drink would do her some good. The last few days had been a little strange. She probably could have saved a few members of the gang had she been present at the Wookie's rampage. Now there was talk of a stormtrooper hiding out with them and Nadia was getting upset over the death of some Imperial Officer she used to do business with. She never did understand that Twi'lek.

Tashka looked down the counter. There was a wookie tending bar, and a few other patrons. One miserable young woman trying to drown a past, a Mandalorian, and some other strange person she didn't recognize. Something about him seemed odd, but she could not put her finger on what it was. He looked like he may have been that strange man who asked around the Vulkar Base, in which case it was hard to know if he was trustworthy. Of course, none of that really mattered now. She needed a drink.

"Get me something strong!" She called out. "And what do you have to eat around here?"

IC: (Nadia/Layna, Taris Undercity)

"Alright," Nadia muttered as she looked at the Datapad with Rebekkah's image on it. "Let's get this overwith. Gonzai is going to be angry with us when he finds out."

Viseria turned toward Nadia with a smile. "I have an idea," she said. "We don't have to get the Vulkars into trouble."

A young man paused in shock as two young women; a Twi'lek and... was that a blind human? No matter. Both looked intimidating. 

"Excuse me," the Twi'lek said as she approached him. "My associate and I are representatives of the Hidden Beks, and we were hoping to find someone who's been cheating us." She showed him the datapad. "All information you can provide to her location will be rewarded."

Layna had seated herself outside a small coffee shop. She watched as the two Vulkars questioned the passers-by. This was perfect. Nobody knew who they were dealing with, it meaning that they would probably give whatever information they did have without getting any ideas of going after her themselves, if they thought she was just a low-life who had been in trouble with one of the local gangs.

She watched as Nadia approached, Viseria close behind.

"A few of them reported seeing someone who looked like her approaching the LifeDay Inn nearby," Nadia said. "Now you owe me for this one."

"Of course," Layna said as she stood. "Can you show me where the Inn is located?"

Edited by Atton Rand

IC:

"Dunno. Alcohol poisoning might be nice." The human Inquisitor quipped to the Wookie with a faint smile, taking a long swallow from the glass before he did anything else. The act of drinking something, anything, was something of a comfort itself; it was familiar, and familiarity helped soothe the nerves. His good mood was gone, but his bad one was disappearing too. Mellowing out to something neutral. Good as it was going to get.

He set his credit chit on the counter, and slid it towards the Wookie. "Charge me for two of these, I'll definitely have one more before I go. I appreciate it, ma'am."

IC:

"Could you walk me through neutering my IFF's ability to transmit?" 

All in all, the previous few minutes had been rather quiet. Once safely ensconced within her room, the door locked and the window covered, the rogue Novatrooper had set about post-mission maintenance in silence. She answered the occasional query, if Dana had one, but otherwise she concentrated. Her pistol was first, and received a field stripping, careful inspection of each component, and subsequent reassembly. It had suffered no damage, but after its impact with the floor it was best to be sure. She did not want it to fail her at a crucial moment.

Her armor was next, but it needed even less. It was designed for durability. She had completed a thorough examination inside of twenty minutes and stowed it in the case once more, electing to lay down on the bed to rest and review the materials on shockboxing that she had requested Dana forward her.

Now, she was breaking her silence.

"It would permit operation without detection, something that has been a hindrance. I lack the knowledge to effectively disable it without also disabling other functions."

fK5oqYf.jpg

IC: (Layna, Life Day Inn)

"Well, here we are," Nadia said as they stepped into the LifeDay Inn. Nothing fancy, but it seemed at least like a better place to be staying than that run-down apartment.

"Why did they name an Inn after that Wookie Holiday?" Layna muttered. "Anyway, we've got things to be doing."

She approached the counter. There was a receptionist seated there already.

"Excuse me," Layna said as she approached. "I'm looking for someone, and I was told she may have checked in here."

"I'm sorry. I'm not allowed to give out that-"

The receptionist stopped as soon as Layna handed them a datapad with Rebekkah's face on it, as well as a few credit chits.

"Yes. That's Zam Cradlewood. She checked in here earlier."

That was good. Obviously she was using an assumed name, but nobody else seemed to know who was actually staying here. That meant it was less likely that they'd have to deal with a rival bounty hunter or Imperial Forces.

"Do you think you could get us a room?" Layna placed another credit chit on the counter. "We don't need much, just accommodations for three."

"Yes, I think that can be arranged." The receptionist said, handing Layna a key.

Layna turned toward her two companions. "Let's go," she said. They approached the elevator. Layna pushed the button and it was only a moment before they reached the second floor. 

There wasn't much to be seen of the hotel itself. It was reasonably furnished, though nothing fancy. It didn't take long to find their room either. Nothing particularly extravagant but she'd seen worse. Two queen-sized beds, which would be sufficient, assuming she even needed them, and access to the holonet. It would work.

"So what do you need me to do now?" Nadia asked as she stepped inside and took a seat on one of the beds.

"Not much at the moment," Layna replied. "I may need you for backup but otherwise I should be able to handle this on my own."

"Good," the Twi'lek muttered as she pulled off her boots. She quickly lay down on the bed. She lay on her side, brushing one of her lekku over her shoulder, before closing her eyes. "In that case, I'm going to take a nap."

It hadn't exactly been an easy day for any of them. Between their swoop riding, taking in fugitives, and losing a close friend, it had been fairly exhausting. If anyone needed some rest it was Nadia. At least the beds here were reasonably comfortable.

"You should get some sleep as well," Viseria said to Layna.

"Yes," she muttered. Viseria was correct in that regard, but for now there were more important things to be worried about. "I'll do that later."

"Just as well," Viseria said with a smile. She stood and approached Layna.

"She'd keep you up anyway," the Miraluka whispered. 

"What do you mean?"

"I should probably just warn you that Nadia isn't exactly a sound sleeper."

"Oh, you mean she snores?"

"Well, let's just say if there were a competition for most people kept awake by someone's snoring, Nadia would be taking first place."

"I'll keep that in mind," Layna said. "For now, I guess we'll have to see what we can find out about this "Zam. Approaching her directly would be dangerous; she's probably too paranoid."

IC: (Tashka)

The Togruta watched as the strange man further down the counter paid for aother drink. The other disheveled woman was finishing her own as well. Looked like a lot of the people here needed something to drink. She was still waiting herself. Still, there weren't many people at the bar. Most of the patrons seemed to be playing games of Sabaac, or Pazaak. Most of them had no idea what they were doing, and she quickly thought about how Gonzai could easily win a fortune here. Still, gambling wasn't exactly her strong point, although she knew a thing or two about how to deal with anyone she caught cheating.

Still, for now, there wasn't much to do. She reached into her pocket and pulled out a credit chit and placed it on the counter. "Hey," she said, almost cutting off the man's order. "How about a round of drinks on me?"

Edited by Atton Rand

IC:

"Well, I guess that depends, Kaz. Did you pack explosives?"

It was like babysitting sometimes. And paid as badly

And she had no one to call over and make out with after they went to bed.

This was a depressing analogy.

-Tyler

Edited by Key and

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

IC: (Dak Ulgo, Vulkar Base)

Not much going on at the moment. Dak still could not shake the memories of the Junkyard confrontation. Nobody else seemed to be around. She didn't see anything worth doing and most of the Vulkars she did know were out at the moment. Nadia and Viseria left with that new girl, the sister of her former C.O. Raltz was still at large, and obviously it didn't look like there was any rush to see Mia's killer brought to justice. Most likely, it was someone high up, someone with the authority (or at least the financial resources) to spread false reports on what happened. Now it was a question of what she could do now that she was stuck. Hiding out with the Vulkars had not been the most interesting development. Still, as far as anyone else was concerned, she was basically a fugitive. She wouldn't have put it too far to assume that someone was going to offer a handsome reward for her capture, assuming they hadn't already. 

Still, it was dull, and she didn't have much to do. For now, she and Evnairis were stuck in the base. She had been ordered to keep the scavenger safe and so far she had succeeded. She made her way to the garage, stepping into the elevator and setting it to take her up. Nadia wasn't around, neither was Viseria. They were both probably out somewhere. Then there was Layna. She had been gone a few hours. What could she have been up to? Gonzai was, but he had his own responsibilities. Besides, she'd talked enough. For now, she needed a distraction.

She stepped out of the elevator and entered the garage. She quickly spotted Evnairis, who had ditched her scavenger's robes for a dirty shirt and pants. She looked up as Dak entered.

"How's it going?" Dak asked.

"So far, it could be worse," Evnairis said. "Fortunately, when you know how to take machines apart, it's easy to put them back together."

Dak smiled. "That's good. I'm just bored, and confused."

"Any idea when we'll be able to leave here?" Evnairis asked.

"Not for sure," Dak replied. "Hopefully soon. If I'm lucky, once things cool down here I could try and get a ship to one of the Imperial Worlds and report what happened. I don't know if they'd listen to me. Raltz is probably telling all kinds of lies to make sure I seem the traitor. It wouldn't be too hard to distort the truth enough to make me sound like a deserter."

OOC: Dak is open for interaction.

Edited by Atton Rand

Sen Fahl-The Stray Tach

IC: This had been one of the most interesting bar dives Sen had ever been on. All sorts of interesting people coming and going.

Like that man with the strange chill who had just settled on the bar stool next to the archeologist.

Another sip from the glass in his hand as he pondered the other man. His instincts were a constant itch at the back of his mind, warning that there was something off about Tue person in front of him. What that could be, Sen had not the slightest clue.

Only one real way to find out.

"You look like a man with something in his mind. Want to talk about it?"

"I serve the weak. I serve the helpless. I am their sword and their shield. If you want to strike at them, you must go through me, and I am not so easily moved."

zsUPm2E.jpg?1