Discussion in the Interregnum

sunflower

• 4 weeks later...

For reference, plot device man.

Name: Rav Kadran

Species: Zabrak

Appearance: 1.9 meters tall, around 65 kilograms and athletically built. His complexion is fair enough where he could pass as a human, if it weren’t for the six cranial horns adorning his forehead instantly giving away his species. His features are prominent, but more rounded than sharp and angular, accented by the traditional faint tattoos of his species. He wears his dark hair past his ears, keeping it swept back and out of way, with a trimmed beard rounding out his appearance. His indigo gaze is generally accompanied by a relaxed smile.

Prefers a battered orange spacer’s jacket and hide boots when not on duty, though his wear changes depending on the mission.

Skills: Excellent pilot, though his tendency to overestimate his ability and his ship has gotten him in some rough spots more than once. Prefers to take on the Empire from behind a control stick and a bank of torpedoes, though necessity has honed his marksmanship to respectable levels.

Equipment: DH-17, basic survival gear stowed in Zur, a number of disposable and untraceable credit chips in addition to forged identification.

Personality: Confident in his own ability, though more than a bit proud of the Rebel-, err, New Republic’s accomplishments.

History: A freedom fighter on his homeworld, fed intelligence to the Rebel cell in his area before going completely in with the cause. Well, that’s what his official dossier states, and little else.

Ship: Zur, A/SF-01 B-Wing heavy assault fighter. Painted a dull grey with yellow markings. Rav has made use of the ship’s modular hardpoint design, and replaced two of the ion cannons with medium laser cannons for added staying power. Due to the limited logistic capability of the New Republic, one set of the expensive proton torpedoes have been replaced with more anti-starfighter capable concussion missiles.

Affiliation: New Republic

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, it's been a while. This would be the first time in years I've thought of joining any kind of even remotely Star Wars-related role-playing activity. I don't have a lot to do right now so I guess there's no harm in trying an RPG like this out. I'm a bit out of practice when it comes to Star Wars-based writing, but I should have enough of a working knowledge of the Star Wars universe to follow it okay. I might have to look up the odd detail to refresh my memory but that's easy enough.

So if I'm understanding right, this RPG takes place somewhere between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens, with a focus on a new war that resulted from the Empire's defeat in Return of the Jedi, and apparently right now a lot of this is happening on Taris. That's right, isn't it?

Anyway, I guess I'd better get my forms together. There are some details I'd have to work out before I can finalize my roles, but I did have a few basic ideas. I suppose I could write down the basics right now and see what people think before I make any final decisions. In any case, they would add some new perspectives that you don't normally see represented in the movies.

So one idea I've been toying with is an ex-Jedi turned bounty hunter. I was imagining her as someone who was trained to be a Jedi, and therefore has a lot of the same skills, but at some point she became disgruntled with the Order and eventually left. Now she makes a living as a bounty hunter (with the odd bit of vigilante justice on the side). I'd imagined her being someone who had gotten rid of her robes and lightsaber, but still has many of the other skills which she uses to outwit her targets. I think there might be some potential to really get into psychology, and we'd get to see some other sides to the Jedi Order.

Another idea I've been wondering about is to take a few risks and go against George Lucas by trying to make a relatable Imperial Officer. I would probably imagine her as being more like a soldier in that she would be treated mostly as a person doing their job, who respects those under her authority and does her best to ensure their well-being.

The game is set a few months after Return of the Jedi. There's no actual war going on, just the conflicts that come from the New Republic cementing itself and the Empire dealing with the death of its leadership.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Breaking Point: An OTC Mecha RPG

So one idea I've been toying with is an ex-Jedi turned bounty hunter. I was imagining her as someone who was trained to be a Jedi, and therefore has a lot of the same skills, but at some point she became disgruntled with the Order and eventually left. Now she makes a living as a bounty hunter (with the odd bit of vigilante justice on the side). I'd imagined her being someone who had gotten rid of her robes and lightsaber, but still has many of the other skills which she uses to outwit her targets. I think there might be some potential to really get into psychology, and we'd get to see some other sides to the Jedi Order.

At this point in time I'm not approving any Jedi (or ex Jedi). This point in the Force-user part of the plot is all about discovery and development, the first step in The Hero's Journey as they begin as just faces in the crowd. Later on, once people go further down the whole superhero space monk training, I wouldn't be at all opposed to have characters start out along that higher baseline. Yes, Dark Side practitioners have an advantage in training thanks to the Inquisitorious, though that's to put some fire under the do-gooders.

Another idea I've been wondering about is to take a few risks and go against George Lucas by trying to make a relatable Imperial Officer. I would probably imagine her as being more like a soldier in that she would be treated mostly as a person doing their job, who respects those under her authority and does her best to ensure their well-being.

As a theme that's been pulled off pretty well by more than a few books (and TV show), this would work.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

I guess that makes sense, though it might be a good idea to make that a bit more clear on the first post. For now, I'll just have to put my idea of an ex-Jedi to the side and possibly come back to it later. That would give me more time to think about it anyway.

So I guess I'd be going with the idea of the Imperial Officer. Fair enough. I'll just need to come up with some details about her before I can submit an official profile.

Edit: Okay, I don't have much going on today, so I thought I'd give it a shot and see if I could come up with a profile. I'm a bit out of practice when it comes to finding Star Wars names, but fortunately I had one or two earlier sources to turn to.

Name: Mia Arkada

Gender/Species: Human

Appearance: Tall, thin. Long straight hair usually tied back into a neat bun. She ordinarily wears a gray imperial uniform.

Skills: As a soldier, Mia is already trained to hold her own in a fight. Her unusually caring nature also gives her a talent for offering advice and boosting morale.

Personality: On duty, Mia is calm and professional, especially with matters related to rebels, though she is not without ethics. Off-duty, she is often a very nice and loving person. She often refrains from formality unless required; she would address a stormtrooper the same way she would speak to a fellow officer, and freely ignores the divide between officer and enlisted.

History: Mia graduated from the Imperial Academy just before the Battle of Yavin. When she learned of the lives lost on the Death Star, which included her best friend, Mia began to develop an extreme dislike towards the rebellion, seeing them as terrorists. Over the following years, Mia worked a variety of Imperial ships where she developed a reputation for her ability to work with others. She later served aboard a Star Destroyer during the Battle of Endor, during which she witnessed further losses. Mia's latest assignment has been to manage a small Imperial outpost on Taris.

Affiliation: Empire

Also, just for fun, here's an amusing fan theory I've come up with. What I've realized is that, if you do the math, it is actually 100% possible that there were female stormtroopers as early as A New Hope. Basically, it relates to a few details within the movies themselves that leads me to a reasonable deduction that makes it entirely reasonable.

1. We never see a stormtrooper out of uniform. The only exceptions to this rule are in A New Hope (where Luke and Han disguise themselves) and The Force Awakens (in which the stormtrooper who does so later defects). Every other instance where a stormtrooper has appeared, they are wearing full body armor, which is admittedly very androgynous in design.
  2. Every time a stormtrooper is heard speaking, it is always on a radio even when they are literally standing in front of the person they mean to address.
  3. The stormtroopers are not even referred to by name. They are only given a number.

Based on the evidence within the films, it would appear that the empire wants stormtroopers to look the same. It makes sense from a militaristic perspective; makes them seem less human and more intimidating. Aside from being explicitly referred to in The Force Awakens, there is another interesting piece of evidence. You ever notice how whenever a Stormtrooper speaks, it is almost always in the more or less the same voice? The logical explanation for that would also explain why they always use the radio; they are not only mean to look the same, but their armor also includes equipment to alter their voice so that they sound the same.

So, to make a long story short, how would you tell a male and female stormtrooper apart? They are wearing more or less the same body armor, with radios that give them the same basic voice, with the obvious intention of making them appear more or less the same. In other words, if you look at the math, a female stormtrooper would logically be indistinguishable from one of her male comrades. This means it is entirely possible that there have been female stormtroopers this whole time, but it's not easy to say exactly where because they look and sound just like the men.

Edited by Atton Rand

Female Stormies have been canon for ages. Very uncommon, the Legends cannon statistics estimate no more than three within an entire legion, but they were there. Much more common in later iterations of the Empire, where the requirements for a Stormtrooper's species/size/gender weren't so strict. We have one in this game, actually.

fK5oqYf.jpg

On this eve, the thirtieth anniversary of that first colony, many are left to wonder; is the world fast approaching a breaking point?

Really? I guess it has been a while. I know they addressed that somewhat in The Force Awakens, which showed female stormtroopers, but I didn't realize that had already happened. Of course, now with The Force Awakens the expanded universe is no longer official, so canon can be really weird. On the bright side, though, it does mean I can now technically say that my female version of Revan was the real one and nobody can claim otherwise. Now if only people would be more open to accepting my idea of a female "Soap" MacTavish...

Anyway, I guess that's good to know. I'm obviously a bit out of touch with everything outside of the seven movies at the moment, so it's nice to see that there diversity is happening. The Force Awakens was also doing a better job of it, but in the previous six movies there were only two major female roles (who shared about thirty seconds of screen time).

I should also ask before I get my profile approved and begin playing, my memories of Taris are mostly from Knights of the Old Republic, a great game but there is a 1000 year gap between that and the events of this RPG. I just thought I should find out if that's still a valid reference or if anything has changed over the years.

While this RPG pulls heavily from both the new timeline and the old one, it's not following either religiously. That being said, the Star Wars wikia is an amazing resource should you have any broad questions. Feel free to throw specific ones up here, the majority of us are far too well versed in the mythos, and a lot have a good idea on what would and would not work in this RPG.

Anyway, Mia Arkada is okay, though I'd like her profile to be expanded a bit more that it is now. Not looking for essays for these things, it's just pretty bare-bones right now.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Yes of course. I used to spend a lot of time on that Star Wars Wiki. That will probably be very good for refreshing my memory when I need to. 

Anyway, if I'm going to do this, I guess I'd better work on developing that profile. Part of that can be blamed on Internet Explorer, which has for some reason been refusing to let me copy and paste things here so I had to manually copy the form. Part of that is also perhaps me just not having everything together. In any case, let's see if I can do any better.

Name: Mia Arkada

Gender/Species: Human female

Appearance: Tall, thin. Long brown hair often tied back into a neat bun. She often wears a standard gray uniform when on duty.

Skills: As a soldier, Mia knows how to hold her own in a fight. She is trained in a variety of different weapons as well as hand-to-hand. She also has a reputation for being able to relate to the difficulties of fellow Imperials, often trying to assist them with their own problems or boosting morale.

Equipment: The only thing she keeps on herself at all times is a pistol.

Personality: On duty, Mia is calm and professional, especially with matters related to rebels, though she is not without ethics. Off-duty, she is often a very nice and loving person. She often refrains from formality unless required; she would address a stormtrooper the same way she would speak to a fellow officer, and freely ignores the divide between officer and enlisted. 

History: Mia graduated from the Imperial Academy just before the Battle of Yavin. When she learned of the lives lost on the Death Star, which included her best friend, Mia began to develop an extreme dislike towards the rebellion, seeing them as terrorists; and vowed to prove that she was better than them. Over the following years, Mia worked a variety of Imperial ships where she developed a reputation for her ability to work with others. She quickly became someone for members of the Imperial Forces to talk to when they had their own personal problems, where they could speak freely. Mia also proved useful for acquiring information; she often made a point of treating captured rebels as humanely as possible, and often did whatever she could to ensure that co-operative prisoners were treated fairly. Mia later served on a Star Destroyer during the Battle of Endor, during which she witnessed further loss of life at the hands of rebels (and developed a particular disdain for Ewoks). The fact that the battle ended in their favor seemed all the more difficult for her, and with nobody sure of the empire's future, she focused on trying to assist fellow veterans dealing with the personal traumas of rebel attacks. A few months later, she was given a new assignment to lead the restoration of an abandoned outpost on Taris, a task that proved difficult given the population.

Affiliation: Galactic Empire

Alignment: Good (at least as far as she understands it), justice, order

my memories of Taris are mostly from Knights of the Old Republic, a great game but there is a 1000 year gap between that and the events of this RPG. I just thought I should find out if that's still a valid reference or if anything has changed over the years.

It's actually more like 4000 years. Not that that changes your point, of course; although to be honest, the Taris we've been seeing so far in the RPG is virtually the same as KotOR-era Taris, just even more run-down.

Internet Explorer

pffhah_the_doctor.gif

Edited by Ghosthands
  • Upvote 1

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

my memories of Taris are mostly from Knights of the Old Republic, a great game but there is a 1000 year gap between that and the events of this RPG. I just thought I should find out if that's still a valid reference or if anything has changed over the years.

It's actually more like 4000 years. Not that that changes your point, of course; 

Okay. That was a pretty big oversight on my part. I guess that shows you how bad I am at math. 

although to be honest, the Taris we've been seeing so far in the RPG is virtually the same as KotOR-era Taris, just even more run-down.

Well, in the game, Malak did order the entire planet to be bombed from orbit. Assuming anyone survived, I'd imagine that would have had a pretty big impact on what little economic and social structure there already was on Taris, so "more run-down" might be an understatement.

I was doing some reading on the same question. What little Legends canon exists for Taris post-KOTOR indicates a rebuilding effort, so yeah. Generally the place is treated a lot like Taris was in KOTOR, just four thousand years after a catastrophe that necessitated rebuilding.

fK5oqYf.jpg

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but I am strangely not feeling any urge to play this RPG, and I saw this get started. Does anyone have any suggestions to increase atmospheric immersion and thus create a 'want' to play? Because I do want to play, but at the same time I don't. I'm a ficklicious-pickle, I know.

Not sure if this would help, but I grew up with the Prequel Trilogy (The Phantom Menace gives me nostalgia), and the Old Republic Era (not game) and Rise of the Empire Era. I recognize the Original Trilogy as being the superior films (though still having some problems themselves), but I tend to have more of a connection with the Old Republic. This familiarity is probably what is holding me back from immersion for the RPG.

You know what? To help with this, I'm going to play GCW stuff on SW Battlefront II. Other means aside from watching the original movies (as I do not have access to them) would be much appreciated.

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

Also, we do have some bones for Old Republic fans, as everyone is currently on Taris.

I think he meant the era in the Star Wars timeline (as in, everything that happened up until the prequels) as opposed to the games.

You know what? To help with this, I'm going to play GCW stuff on SW Battlefront II. Other means aside from watching the original movies (as I do not have access to them) would be much appreciated.

That said, While the adventure is chronologically set after Episode VI, that doesn't mean there isn't room to draw on other material. Most of us have technically been drawing something from it (although mostly details rather than anything directly linked to story). However, I think I have an idea  of what you could do: you could take advantage of those feelings and rework them into the story. You could play as someone who was around at the time of the Old Republic and still has memories of it, and as a result struggles to adjust to the New Environment.

Anyway, I think Mia could use some interaction. When I started playing I assumed most people were already on the planet (as opposed to just arriving) and now there isn't much to do.

Edited by Atton Rand

Not sure how you got that impression. How far back did you read? The last handful of posts have been mainly Imperial characters, yes, but they're in the minority: only around one in four player characters are Imperial-aligned, last I checked.

Edited by Ghosthands

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

Very few Imperial characters down there.

Wait, have we had any non-Imperials? From what I saw it looked like most of us were playing as one. Maybe I should come up with a non-Imperial; the thought of writing a Mandalorian has occurred to me.

The majority are non-Imperial. Actually, I think you might have the only proper Imperial. There are five characters aligned with the Inquisitorius, which is technically Imperially aligned, but neither the Empire nor the Inquisitorius really wants anything to do with the other. Then there's one mission controller on board Regency, but she hasn't been seen in person. Oh and Jenth. So I suppose you don't have the only proper Imp.

And then there's Skri and Reo, impersonating Imperial officers, NT-081 (a rogue Novatrooper), Ghost and Dov's smugglers, Sue the bartender, the Chistori retired bounty hunter, Sen, a ship captain, an air traffic controller, Dov's rogue Dark Side practitioner, and probably a few I'm forgetting. 

Long story short, Imps to non-Imps is somewhere around 1:2.

Edited by It's A Gundam MkII

fK5oqYf.jpg

Did you know the Yuuzhan Vong called the mess hall for their high-ranking officers the High Chew? Because that's just... I mean, we're supposed to hate the guys, but wow. Such cheese.

Name: Varis Kalaf

Gender/Species:
 Woman/Zabrak

Appearance: Varis is 5’4”, with long limbs and a short, stocky torso. She has a round face with wide cheeks, a small mouth with thick lips, a flat nose, and large, round eyes with noticeable epicanthic folds. She has two small horns just above her thin eyebrows, two more above her hairline, directly above those two, a row of five from front-to-back at the top of her head, and two more horns at the back of her head, directly opposite the two above her hairline. Her hair is black and thick, and hangs just past her shoulders, though she keeps it in a plaited bun when in situations where long hair is a liability. As is not uncommon for Zabraks, she has dark, purple eyes, and orange-brown, ochre-coloured skin. She has begun tattooing complex patterns on her arms and legs, and has plans to extend these tattoos to cover her entire body.

When working, she tends to prefer simple, mid-grey outfits that have the overall appearance of a uniform, while being unidentifiable as belonging to any particular political affiliation. These outfits tend to feature breakaway sleeves, to allow the jackets to easily transform into sleeveless vests for her comfort. She wears her lightsaber and blasters openly unless circumstances require otherwise. When not working, the main common thread with her favorite clothing is that they are all very colourfully died, and very few restrict her movement in any meaningful way. She often wears a pair of goggles with glass lenses that have been treated to provide UV protection, and to darken to compensate for bright light.

Skills:
 Focused strongly on unarmed hand-to-hand combat, nearly to the exclusion of lightsaber training. Techniques in unarmed combat tend to focus on grappling and redirecting momentum rather than direct strikes. Her use of a lightsaber is primarily defensive, relying on basic techniques to keep an opponent at bay. For avoiding blaster fire, she is likely to have much better luck finding cover than attempting to block it. She carries a blaster, and is functionally capable of using it, but by no means an expert or crack shot.

Force Abilities: Has trained primarily with techniques for energy redirection and containment. Can chill a drink in ten seconds or less, or utilize ambient thermal energy to give herself small boosts in kinetic energy (i.e, jumping higher, running faster, punching harder). Redirecting or absorbing direct attacks is an area of interest for her, but her skill in that area is not refined enough to do more than very minor damage mitigation (that is, making a direct strike with force lightning merely extremely painful, rather than debilitatingly so). In terms of redirecting energy, her primary area of study is conversion of that energy to heat, and the use of that in unarmed combat, and she has made enough progress with that for setting things on fire with her hands to be a valid option.

Equipment: A pair of DC-15s blaster pistols, regularly cleaned but thoroughly uncustomized. It is important to note that these are never used simultaneously – the second is only there in case something happens to the first. Her lightsaber is a dual-phase model, with the primary setting being a longer, 43” purple blade designed to keep opponents at a distance, while the secondary setting is an 18” red blade designed for use chiefly as a parrying tool at close quarters. The control for the dual-phase settings is a toggle switch positioned just above the activation button. The hilt, plated in black matte-finish durasteel, is curved to rest comfortably against the ball of the thumb (that is, the hilt curves towards the thumb). In addition to these weapons, she carries a well-honed durasteel knife with a 10” blade, a waterproof pack, and a pair of 40 x 8 binoculars with digital stabilization and an in-built digital camera.

Personality: Varis is a cheerful person who gives the impression of doing much of her thinking out loud, though as an Inquisitor it would be rather unwise of her to actually do that, and indeed most of the voiced musings have been carefully thought over beforehand. In any case, she enjoys speaking informally with people, and tries to prioritize the personal well-being of the contacts she makes over their value as intelligence assets. She prefers to think more on the ends she seeks to achieve than on the means proposed to do so, though she does have preferences regarding means – she prefers talking to fighting, and persuasion to force, and will choose those whenever practically possible. Given the conditions of her upbringing, very little of Zabrak culture was known to her until after the Emperor’s death, when members of the Inquisitorius found greater freedom to set the parameters of their research. She is enthusiastic about the practices, beliefs and traditions that make up Zabrak culture, even going so far as to begin the process of tattooing herself unaided.

History: As with many Inquisitors, Varis was brought into the Inquisitorius at a young age, and endured years of the Emperor’s training regimen, designed not only to impart skills to his students, but to mold them into the sort of people who would unquestioningly use those skills in his name. Varis was by no means a star pupil, and her lack of skill with the lightsaber, while the most grievous failing, was far from the only one. Since being deemed fit for active duty, she has had a middling service record in the field, with a handful of assignments operating directly against Rebel forces, but has spent considerably more time gathering intelligence, working through informants and intelligence assets rather than showing her hand directly.

Ship: Varis owns many catalogues for starships, and technical readouts for ships she would like to own. For now, she has settled for a bunk on the ISD Insight.

Affiliation: Inquisitorius

Position: Say if they’re part of the crew of a cruiser or on a squad of soldiers.

Alignment: Very very quietly opposed to the principles and goals of the Galactic Empire, prioritizes self-preservation, the acquisition of knowledge, and self-improvement over involvement in political struggles.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I've been thinking that a second character might be a good idea, especially given that Mia's role is a bit limited at the moment. I've still got that one idea of the ex-Jedi bounty hunter and it might not be a bad idea to write out a profile for her just to get everything down so I don't forget about I am in a position to introduce her. For now, though, I figure having more than one character might not be a bad idea, so here's a new person.

Name: Nadia Rinlo

Gender/Species: Female Twi'lek

Appearance: As a Twi'lek, Nadia's most obvious features are her green skin and her lekku, which remain unmarked. Like many of her species, Nadia often stylizes her lekku much like a human would stylize their hair, though their exact position depends on both her current mood and practical needs. 

Skills: Aside from being a skilled mechanic and swoop rider, she has a large number of contacts in the street, making her good at providing information and obtaining things. She can also hold her own in a fight. She also has the less flattering skill of being very good at keeping people awake with her loud snoring.

Equipment: Often carries a toolkit for auto-repair, but also owns a blaster and vibroblade.

Personality: A bit rough, but generally a good person though she isn't afraid to get her hands dirty when needed. She is also very resourceful when it comes to getting what she wants.

History: Nadia grew up in the streets of lower Taris, and quickly learned to adapt to life on the planet. It was during this time that she met a young Miraluka named Viseria, who had been left on Taris as a baby and never knew her parents. While both were in their mid-teens, they found a home, and the closest thing either of them knew to family, in the Black Vulkars. Gonzai, a prominent figure among the Vulkars, soon became a father figure to both. As a result of spending a lot of time around swoop bikes, Nadia and Viseria gradually learned their inner workings and developed their skills as  a mechanic before gradually moving into riding themselves. 

At the age of 17, Nadia entered her first real swoop race, and her skill slowly earned her a following. Three years later, she emerged a champion at the Tarisian Season Opener, after which Nadia began to develop a reputation, one which she used to her advantage as a means of getting close to people in power. Before long, she not only had friends in the high ranks of the Vulkars, but also in other gangs, businesses, the black market, and even some offworld organized crime. Now her recent deals with Mia Arkada (for whom she acquired a variety of parts in exchange for credits and swoop parts) have given her friends in the empire.

Affiliation: Black Vulkars

Alignment: Largely money-driven, though she doesn't mind a bit of justice now and then.

Edited by Atton Rand

Sweet. And yeah, we aren't talking lightsaber-hot or anything. Likely have to maintain direct physical contact for anything more than a first-degree burn.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

They obviously wouldn't have the influence they once did, but that doesn't mean they'd be gone entirely. Of course, the gangs now would probably be very different from the ones of the Old Republic. In fact, I'd imagined that the dynamics had shifted a bit, with the Vulkars being the more honorable ones and the Beks being the petty thugs. As for the Exchange, that's probably gone now but there's probably some other mob who does work on Taris.