Discussion in the Interregnum

sunflower

I'd ask whether the surname you've given this character is strictly necessary, but I honestly don't think I'd get anywhere with that, and the degree of relation is murky...

I'm not sure if there's anything giving Poe's exact age in The Force Awakens. However, assuming he's in his thirties, that would mean he's probably not even born yet when the RPG takes place.

Edit: So I did some research, and apparently Poe's family has already been developed at length. It also turns out he actually was born during the Galactic Civil War. So much for that idea. 

Edited by Atton Rand

Some edits wouldn't be a bad idea. There were some interesting ideas in focusing on intelligence, only that version of the character would be fairly passive. A lot of her role would probably consist largely of spying on other PCs and a lot of the posts would be repeating things that were already described in other posts. Some surveillance aspects could still be useful. However, I also figure that it would probably be a good idea to give her the means to do more than occasionally overhear comm chatter.

As for the New Republic, there'd be a few things to consider. While I'm not totally sure the Republic would remain oblivious to an operation like this happening, I can see how they may lack sufficient resources to perform a full-on assault against the Empire. Much easier would be to send in undercover operatives, perhaps one at a time, who can gather information discreetly and, if possible, sabotage the Imperial operation.

Name: Nikita Pava
Gender/Species: Human Female

Appearance: Unlike her former partner Kyra Drayen, Nikita is much more effective at remaining discreet. Her usual wardrobe consists of a leather jacket over a dark t-shirt and long pants. She has long dark hair often tied back into a distinct braid.

Skills: Stealth, infiltration; although she is trained in a variety of weapons and hand-to-hand combat, she generally prefers to avoid directly engaging the enemy, instead favoring sneak attacks. She is also trained in basic first aid.

EquipmentNikita has access to a variety of weapons. She always keeps on hand a concealed blaster hidden in a case under her jacket, which can be set both for stun and kill (depending on what is more useful in the current situation). She also keeps a silencer, to decrease her chances of drawing attention. In addition to her blaster, Nikita also owns a much larger sniper rifle, though she only carries it when she needs it.

She also comes with an assortment of surveillance equipment, though her primary gadgets are an encrypted comm link (for recording and sending secret messages) and a holorecorder. She also has an earpiece designed to tap into encrypted channels.

Personality: Generally well-intentioned and friendly. However, while she may have noble intentions, she isn't above using ethically questionable means to attain her goals. Her work in black ops has also made her somewhat paranoid of her surroundings, and she is known to react to any sound.

History: Everybody remembers the heroes of the Rebellion who fought on the front lines. There are plenty of stories of the heroes of the rebellion who fought the Empire directly: Rianna Saren, Hera Syndulla, Kyle Katarn,  Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa, Han Solo, and Lando Calrissian. What most people forget are the ones who worked behind the scenes; the men and women who collected information on the Empire and made the victories of the alliance possible.

Nikita was one such hero. She started working intelligence in the Rebel Alliance. From there, she soon advanced to becoming a frequent choice for black operations, top-secret missions that didn't officially exist (something sometimes needed in order to avoid information being obtained by the Empire). In the field, people like Rianna and Leia fought the Empire head-on, while others like Nikita worked behind the lines performing recon, sabotage, and the occasional assassination.

With the end of the war, and the rise of the New Republic, Nikita received new responsibilities. She continued to work intelligence under the new government, and now she has been given a new mission. New Republic Intelligence has suggested that the Empire has been showing an unusually large amount of activity on Taris. Nikita is the first of several operatives sent to operate undercover with a straight forward mission: to gather information on Imperial Activity, determine if it poses any threat to the New Republic, and gather information on the most effective response.

Affiliation: New Republic, formerly Rebel Alliance

Position: Black Ops

Alignment: Good

If it's any interest, I did also have some ideas for Viseria's backstory. While this probably isn't the right moment to start filling out her profile, I could send you some of the ideas I came up if you like and see what you think. 

Edited by Atton Rand

Technically, you don't have to be a soldier on the front lines for your experience to be considered fieldwork, either. The dichotomy is pretty much between deskwork and fieldwork, really.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Alright, so Nikita Pava the character doesn't have anything glaringly wrong with her profile, but the main issue really just is her reasoning for being on Taris. The events going on haven't even constituted a week of in-game time (barring aside strange RPG time mechanics), so even if the NR was able to track the Insight's movement down to the centimeter, there simply hasn't been enough time for them to determine what to do about it, let alone gather the resources necessary to send an agent to investigate. Essentially, for much as the rest of the galaxy is aware, there is no increased amount of Imperial activity on Taris, as all of ten people outside the Imperials are even aware that the ship is in orbit.

All that being said, the next location will completely remove the logistical gymnastics needed to get a NR character into things, if you prefer to wait a few posts.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Oh, are we finding out the next location soon? That should be interesting. For some reason, I keep thinking it will be Dantooine (probably because KOTOR). I've had a few ideas here and there for planets that could be worth exploring, though I presume you've already decided. In any case, a change of scenery will probably be nice. I could probably wait a few posts, although it will require me to find some patience. I can do that.

In the meantime, I was hoping I could try to keep Tashka in the Stray Tach for a while. I know one criticism I've gotten is that I tend to move around too much. The Stray Tach seemed like a good place to try and work on that. After all, it's reasonably busy and there are at least a few other PCs there (if I'm not mistaken, there's also Sue, Sen, R9, Roka, and possibly one or two others I'm forgetting; Talik also seemed to be on his way there). I could probably find some things for Tashka to do even if she doesn't go straight to interacting with any of the aforementioned PCs.

Edited by Atton Rand

• 2 weeks later...

Soooooo

Can we get some kind of source on the bit about non-humans not being allowed in the Upper City? I'm not saying it's untrue, I'm just saying I've never read it in any staff post and I'm not aware of any information on Imperial-era Taris that says anything to that effect, so I'd like to know where exactly it's coming from.

and whether i can just ignore it

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Soooooo

Can we get some kind of source on the bit about non-humans not being allowed in the Upper City? 

and whether i can just ignore it

Well, most of the information I've found seems to lead in that general direction. I know in Knights of the Old Republic those rules were very much in effect, and as far as I can tell those feelings continued even after Taris was destroyed. At least, I haven't found anything that has led me to believe there has been any social reformations or anything that could potentially suggest that the rules have changed.

Now it's true that some 4,000 years have passed and we're dealing with the Imperial authorities. However, they aren't exactly known to be progressive. If I'm not mistaken, they have imposed xenophobic laws in the past and have shown no issues with committing genocide or enslaving entire species (particularly Wookies) if it suits their goals. I don't exactly see them making it a priority to end the planetary segregation.

So you're basing this on something from 4,000 years ago.

Let me tell you, any laws or customs Taris had 4,000 years ago don't need the Empire to end them. Darth Malak ended them pretty effectively.

As for whether the Empire has instated a similar policy on Taris... I'm going to wait for the staff to say something on that, just because I'm a bit hesitant to go ahead and assume big things like that.

I mean

Such a policy would mean that multiple Inquisitors active on the planet would regularly face impediments from the local authorities, and I'd like to think the Inquisitorius would have had the sense to brief its agents on that

impediments that aren't mia arkada, i mean

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

As for whether the Empire has instated a similar policy on Taris... I'm going to wait for the staff to say something on that, just because I'm a bit hesitant to go ahead and assume big things like that.

That may be a good idea. I've generally been running on the idea that at the very least there is a very large anti-alien sentiment in the uppper city. At the very least, some clarification on how far that goes wouldn't hurt. 

There are no official anti-alien laws on Taris, the population is far too diverse than any of the Core worlds for them to work anyway. Yes the Empire is on a whole pro-human, but Taris is nowhere near the Empire's mainstay of political power. The garrison is enough Imperial presence in the capital city to stop most sane citizens from getting any ideas, but not enough for "Imperial Values" to be pervasive in the society.

Individuals will be individuals, and there are always those who are bigoted against something, but that doesn't mean the whole upper city is solely populated by humanocentric speciesists. 

Also, I recently got keyboard functionality back to full power, so things should be moving now.

• Upvote 4

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Individuals will be individuals, and there are always those who are bigoted against something, but that doesn't mean the whole upper city is solely populated by humanocentric speciesists. 

So basically, there aren't any specific laws but racism and discrimination are still major problems and the Empire never really felt the need to intervene? I guess that makes sense.

I included references in my posts to Tashka being rejected from the dueling ring because of her species. While that's not necessarily a legally sanctioned action, t probably wouldn't be too far-fetched to assume that a bunch of the paying viewers and gamblers (i.e. the people that bring in the money) would be wealthy xenophobes, and from the perspective of a Hutt, it's easier to stay on their good side (and thus continue to bring in money) if they don't let aliens into the ring. I could see there being a few nasty individuals who like to place a "humans only" sign on their businesses. In that sense, Tashka's experiences with discrimination may still work.

Of course, I've still had more ideas for new PCs. I'm starting to think I should make some kind of reserve where I can write down all the ideas I come up with.

So basically, there aren't any specific laws but racism and discrimination are still major problems and the Empire never really felt the need to intervene? I guess that makes sense.

It's the other way around, discrimination isn't so much an issue mainly because of the fact that Taris is now more like Nar Shaddaa than Coruscant, and there isn't enough Imperial influence to make it largely humanocentric.

• Upvote 2

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Oh, okay. I guess I've got to re-work that one part of Tashka's backstory then, seeing as it's sounding like the Dueling Ring would have been less discriminatory than I realized.

EDIT: Due to recent developments, I've taken some time to develop some new profiles. These are presently under review from M31, though I'll post them here for reference. I'm hoping there's some good ideas here.

Name: Viseria

Gender/Species: Female Miraluka

Appearance: Viseria generally prefers to conceal herself, and almost never removes her distinct green hood even while sleeping. Under the hood, she keeps her eyes hidden under a green band of cloth. 

As for her other clothes, Viseria often prefers to dress modestly, unlike some of the other gang members. 

Skills: Viseria grew up in the streets of Taris and knows them well. She is also an expert mechanic and swoop rider, something aided in part by her... unique vision and, unknowingly, her connections to the force.

Force Abilities: As a Miraluka, it's no surprise that Viseria is force-sensitive, although it's not clear to what degree. Because she was never formally trained, she currently lacks any real powers.

The most obvious way in which the force manifest itself is through her vision. Viseria has the unusual trait of force sight. This ability makes her more observant of her surroundings, though it otherwise works more or less the same as regular vision. She also has impressive instincts, although far from the level of a Jedi Master.

Viseria can also sense the presence of other force-sensitives, although this only works when she is close enough to the person in question ("close enough" usually meaning in the same room). However, because she lacks a thorough understanding of the force, this particular skill is something of a weakness for her, as she is easily overwhelmed whenever it takes effect.

Equipment: Vibroblade

Personality: Viseria can seem shy and distant at first. Unlike Nadia, she isn't always as willing to talk to strangers and often keeps to herself. Part of it is related to a sense of (literal) alienation and longing that stems from her lack of experience around other Miraluka, although that does not stop her from having a sense of humor. At least, that's how she acts off the track. On the swoop track she gets a lot more passionate. She usually tries to avoid fights when possible, although she is capable of defending herself or her friends if needed. On a more personal level, Viseria is very gentle and deeply caring. She is loyal towards her friends, and more than willing to stand up for them. 

History: 

It was in the final days of the Old Republic, as Palpatine was in the final stages of organizing the Galactic Empire, that two young Miraluka had a child, a baby girl. In a different time, she would have had a promising future. She would have had a loving family, grown up studying the force, and perhaps become a wise leader to her people. Unfortunately, the rise of the Galactic Empire made that life impossible. Miraluka quickly became a subject of discrimination in the core worlds. Thousands were killed as the Empire came into power. Some entered the Rebel Alliance, while others struggled to hide in the Outer Rim. 

For the unfortunate couple, it proved a difficult life. They spent time moving between various Outer Rim Worlds, though it was hard enough to find work and make enough money for the trips, let alone to feed their infant. To make matters worse, there were rumors about the Empire taking an interest in force-sensitive children, and stories quickly spread about parents being forced to watch as their babies were taken from them. Some said they were taken to be killed so that they wouldn't grow up to pose a threat to the Empire. Others said that they were indoctrinated to become dark lords themselves.

Either way, they couldn't doubt that the Empire would take action if their child was ever discovered, and while staying on Taris the couple made a difficult decision. This was no life for her, and they could not bear the thought of their child being captured and turned into an Imperial Slave. They also could barely afford to take care of her, and there was only one option that seemed like it offered her any chance at a life. Reluctantly, the baby was given to a local orphanage. The couple said their goodbyes, and left.

Viseria's life at the orphanage wasn't an easy one. The place was underfunded, and the staff could barely pull together enough to feed the children. On top of that, she remained something of a social outcast. She was sometimes bullied and teased by the others, and lacked any real friends among them. At the age of ten, she finally left, and began living on the street. She'd managed to get by squatting in abandoned apartments, and made what little she could scavenging in the Undercity. It was during this time that she met Nadia Rinlo, and the two quickly became close friends. For Viseria, the young Twi'lek was the closest thing she'd known to a sister, and the closest thing to family.

A few years later, Nadia and Viseria found themselves taken off the street by Gonzai, who offered them a home in the Black Vulkars. Though it took some time to adjust, the two quickly managed to fit into the gang. Their presence around the hideout gave them plenty of exposure to the world of swoop riding, and over the following years Viseria began learning the skills to work as a mechanic, while Nadia went on to become a rider.

Gonzai was originally reluctant to let Viseria ride herself, mistakenly thinking she was blind. However, an accident with one of the swoop riders resulted in Viseria taking over. She proved to be fast and quick-thinking on the track. Her connection to the force unknowingly influenced her instincts on the track, and while she never proved as popular as Nadia, she soon managed to establish herself as a formidable rider.

As her parents hoped, Viseria has found a life for herself which has (so far) been her own. She has a home, and something she can consider family. However, that has not left her without a sense of longing. Being left as an infant, she never knew her parents, and has never seen another Miraluka. This has left her with a minor sense of alienation and a feeling of being alone. Even with the family she does have, Viseria has often wondered if there are others like her. One day, she hopes, she will find another Miraluka and learn about her species.

Affiliation: Black Vulkars

Alignment: Good

Name: Nikita Baobab

Appearance: Tall and thin, usually likes to crop her dark hair short. She is usually seen dressed in the colors of the Baobab fleet, which includes a blue vest over a white shirt, with dark-colored pants and all-terrain boots. She also often carries a satchel which she uses to hold trade goods.
Skills: Given her heritage, it's no surprise that Nikita has some experience working as a trader. She is good at talking to people, a useful skill in order to get good deals. She is also trained to handle a blaster, although she uses her skills purely for self-defense.
Equipment: A blaster pistol for self defense. She also owns a satchel that she uses both for holding credits and for storing goods she has purchased or is planning to sell. 
Personality: Well-intentioned, if sometimes financially motivated. She is generally a good person, and even as a businesswoman she usually tries to be honest. She strongly despises swindlers, and is more than willing to expose them once in a while. 

History: The daughter of Mungo Baobab, Nikita was born on Manda and as a member of the Baobab family, she grew up learning the skills needed to be a good merchant. Had it not been for her father's unfortunate run-ins with an Emperor's hand, she may have gone on to run the fleet herself. Unfortunately, one too many instances of working against the Empire resulted in unwanted attention. The fleet was never outright destroyed, although it was banned from trading on Imperial Worlds with warnings that its ships were to be targeted if they entered Imperial space. This was a hue blow to the income of the fleet, who spent the following years operating in the outer rim.

However, things have changed in favor for the Baobab family. The Rebellion has managed to take a huge amount of territory from the Empire, and several worlds that had been off-limits are opening their doors once again to the Baobab family, who has proven more than willing to trade with the New Republic. Nikita's been sent to Taris, a world with a low Imperial Presence, where she is entrusted with re-establishing a market.

Ship: Although she has gained influence within the Baobab fleet, she only has one ship of her own, a small freighter.

Affiliation: New Republic, Baobab Merchant Fleet
Position: Trader

Alignment: Good, money. Also good money

Name: Irella Moirlay

Appearance: Tall, thin woman, reasonably attractive. She often wears her long raven hair in a braid. For clothes, she usually fa, vors a trenchcoat in public, usually with a dress shirt underneath.

Skills: Being a private investigator on Taris, he has had more than his share of experiences working in the streets. Her main skills are in deduction and stealth, both needed for her profession. She is also experienced in hand-to-hand combat, a useful skill when dealing with Tarisian criminals.

Force Abilities: Mildly force-sensitive, though no real powers. It mainly enhances her intuition while investigating, allowing her to more easily spot clues.

Equipment: Blaster pistol for self-defense, a datapad containing information on the present case, and a holorecorder

Personality: As a private eye working on a world like Taris, she's not exactly the most optimistic person one can encounter. She drinks a lot, and can be rough, and cold; although at the end of the day she does generally try to do the right thing. Of course, on this world, it's hard to know exactly what the right thing is sometimes. Even if she does try to do good, she's also not above using unethical methods, up to and including extortion, bribery, blackmail, and murder, if she believes it will achieve her goals.

As a general rule, Irella tries to avoid getting mixed up in personal attachments with potential customers. She usually likes to know who she's working for, although she isn't above taking a "no questions asked" job if she's offered enough credits.

History: Irella grew up on Nar Shadaa, a crime-ridden world ruled by the Hutts. It wasn't an easy life for most on the planet, which was run largely by thugs and criminals. It wasn't a world where one could easily learn right from wrong, especially when one falls into trouble with the wrong people.

However, Irella did have one advantage that proved useful; she knew the streets well. As was expected on a crowded world, it seemed everyone was looking for someone for one reason or another, and sometimes they were keen enough that they were willing to offer credits to anyone who could get the job done.

Thus began Irella's work as a private eye. On Nar Shadaa, she slowly gained attention from various people ranging from criminal groups to Rebel informants, all willing to offer credits in exchange for her services. 

Unfortunately, one too many run-ins with the Hutts proved Irella's undoing. As a result of being hired by several powerful Hutts who all had conflicting agendas, Irella began to find several of them offering large amounts of credits. 

Fortunately, she managed to get off-world. Looking for a new plane where she could use her skills, Irella found Taris to be an equally crowded world where she hoped she could find work. Upon arriving, she managed to use the credits she had to purchase an apartment which soon turned into her office. Now she continues to work on Taris, making a living through whatever customers she can get.

Position: Private Investigator

Affiliation: Whoever her present client is

Alignment: Neutral

At the moment, I'm still waiting on a response, though I do believe there is some potential in some of these ideas. The detective in particular I thought could be interesting to try out. It's a role that would not only fit the Tarisian atmosphere (which itself could probably work as the backdrop for a sci-fi noir), it would also lend itself very effectively to player interaction, though if she does get approved I may need someone to offer her a case that can tie into the main narrative. 

There were a few other partial ideas I came up with, which included a Mandalorian Warrior. There was that one idea I had for the ex-Royal Guard, only it seems to be agreed now that such a position would be too high a rank to make an appearance at this time. I am also open to reworking some of the ideas I had for Riv Needa into a new PC, though I think I'll give that one some time. Then of course there was the idea that if anyone wants to have a really annoying and unnecessary comic relief I could try and make the RPG's Jar Jar.  :P 

Edited by Atton Rand

Okay, so that's one idea to avoid in the future. I've still got plenty of others to work with.

While I'm at it, there were one or two questions I considered regarding some of the feedback I've gotten. It's nothing huge, though they may sound silly if I share them. I guess there's no harm in sharing one thing, even if it may sound rediculous for me to be asking.

I noticed that at least two people (Rache and Ghosthands) have expressed their distaste for the scene where Layna performed the warm water prank. Rache's exact words were, and I quote...

i can say that, with regard to this need you feel to prove, IC, that your characters are skilled, or don't like racists, or... whatever you were trying to prove with a bowl of warm water, I don't have a single earthly clue why that was ever included, just... Don't. Just don't.

For the purposes of reference, I'm also including a copy of the original posts...

Viseria wasn't kidding about Nadia. Only a few minutes and already the Twi'lek's snoring made it hard for Layna to her herself. 

"So how exactly do you plan on-" Viseria cut herself off. "Maybe we should go talk outside."

Layna nodded, the two women stepped out of the room, shutting the door behind them. It was at least somewhat quieter, even though Nadia's snoring was somewhat muffled through the door.

"Your friend seems to be loud. I wouldn't want to go to a slumber party with her."

Viseria smiled. "She's kept a lot of Vulkars awake," she said. "Anyway, she really could use some sleep. It's been a rough day. You really should get some yourself. You've only been on Taris for a few hours and already you're tracking down a rogue novatrooper."

"I know," Layna said. "I'll get around to it eventually."

"So what exactly is your plan for meeting this Rebekkah?"

"Well, there aren't many floors in this building. That increases our chances of being put on the same floor as her. I could bribe the receptionist to give us her room number, but that's probably not going to do much good. She's obviously going to be prepared for unwelcome visitors and I'd be lucky if she doesn't shoot me the moment the door opens. We'd stand a better chance if she came to us?"

"And how exactly do you propose to do that?" The Miraluka asked.

Layna paused and thought. "Do you think she'd come over if some of her neighbours were particularly... loud?" She motioned toward the shut door. Viseria paused, thought, and then turned toward the bounty hunter.

"You've got to be kidding," she said.

"Well, if we seem like a couple frustrating guests it could work, or a frustrating guest."

"You aren't seriously suggesting we use Nadia's snoring to make her come over here to complain about the noise?"

"Can you think of a better way?"

Viseria sighed. "This has got to be the dumbest bounty hunting strategy I have ever seen. Do you seriously think this will get her attention. We'd be lucky if the receptionist doesn't get overwhelmed with noise complaints and kicks us out."

"Do you know anything better?"

"Other than don't waste time trying to find this person who obviously doesn't want to be found?"

"Yes?"

"Then no,"

"Exactly,"

"What if Nadia wakes up before Rebekkah arrives?"

"Than we'll need to get her drunk?"

"You haven't seen her drink, have you?"

"No, I haven't?"

"Some kind of drugs, then?"

"Okay, are you seriously talking about drugging my best friend so that you can use her snoring to lure in a rogue novatrooper who you think may be able to do something for you? How do you know she won't just ignore it?"

"I don't," Layna said. "But it's the best idea I have, even if it's a really stupid one."

"I just hope this works," Viseria muttered. Layna placed her key card into the slot and the door opened. 

"So now what?" Viseria asked.**

"We leave the door open so the noise gets around." Layna stepped into the room, "Then we just have to wait."

Viseria groaned as she sat down on one of the beds. Layna stepped into the washroom, grabbing a bowl and filling it with warm water. She stepped back into the room, placing it on the nightstand next to Nadia's bed. She gently reached for one of the sleeping Twi'lek's hands, carefully lifting it in order to avoid waking her, before moving it towards the bowl.

"Seriously?" Viseria asked. "You're doing that trick?"

"Oh, it's a classic. We used to do this on our instructors back at the Imperial Academy."

IC: (Layna, Life Day Inn)

Nothing yet, though then again what could one have expected? They were dealing with a rogue novatrooper, she probably wasn't going to come over immediately. It would probably take some time for her to get frustrated enough to come over to their room to complain about a neighbor's snoring. That was assuming of course she could hear it, which they didn't have a definitive way of identifying. So far Layna's trick of putting the sleeping Twi'lek's hand in warm water had yielded some minor results, which she found somewhat amusing. Even Viseria smiled upon seeing the embarrassing prank. 

"So do you really think that we can attract Rebekkah's attention with her snoring?" Viseria asked.

"I'm not sure," Layna replied. "Assuming she can hear it, than my hope is that she will eventually get angry about the noise, come over here to complain, and then I can introduce myself."

"I still think this idea is extremely stupid. The other bounty hunters will probably laugh at you if word gets out.

"Well," Layna said. "I'm not like other bounty hunters."

"Okay, well if you're going to play a joke on Nadia while she's asleep, at least give it some class."

The Miraluka stood and walked into the bathroom. She stepped out with a bottle of cream. "I'm not sure what this stuff is, but a lot of hotels like to use it."

Layna chuckled.

"Okay, I'm going to need you to gently grab her hand."

Layna reached for the snoring Twi'lek's hand, pulling it out of the water bowl and placing it back on the bed. Viseria approached, taking a large amount of cream and placing it onto her palm.

"That should do it," The Miraluka whispered. 

I had wondered if it would be worthwhile to get some clarification on what exactly it was that people took issue with here. Looking at these posts now, I could see how they may come off as a forced attempt at unneeded humor. They probably would have also been somewhat out of character for Layna, a person who, while probably not above performing those types of pranks, wouldn't be in the mood to do so within hours of being informed that her sister is dead. Of course, I can only speak for myself on this one, and I'm not sure if what I've noticed is the same issues that you've taken. 

Edited by Atton Rand

a forced attempt at unneeded humor. They probably would have also been somewhat out of character for Layna, a person who, while probably not above performing those types of pranks, wouldn't be in the mood to do so within hours of being informed that her sister is dead.

Unneeded humor, unfunny humor, out-of-character humor... it was honestly just surreal, and the whole set-up for it had been shoehorned in without any real need for it. It read like something thirteen-year old children would do, in the middle of an RPG about loose-cannon Imperial intelligence operatives hunting down an equally-serious New Republic agent with some important intel. It was what could be called a Big-Lipped Alligator Moment - it came out of nowhere, was absolutely ridiculous in context, and, except for in this discussion topic, it was (mercifully) never spoken of again.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Humor never was my strongest skill. I've got one or two stories related to Dino Attack RPG that involved my disastrous attempts at humor (some of them arguably even worse), though you've probably heard enough of those already. It probably also didn't do much good that I was throwing that humor very suddenly in between serious moments without any real reason. I guess I'll have to be more cautious if I ever find myself interesting in using some comic relief again.

In the meantime, I guess you've seen my announcement. I'm taking out Layna and I may also take out Dak (I'm not 100% sure for the latter, I wouldn't mind a second opinion here). That does leave room for me to explore some new characters. I already came up with some new profiles that I shared last week although I've yet to receive any word from M31 or Key and on any of them. Feel free to look at them and tell me what you think.

I've also been getting some advice from Rache which I'm hoping will give me some new ideas. He recommended someone who can easily get involved with the current situation, although I'm not sure exactly how I'd do that yet. If anyone wants to offer suggestions for new PCs I'm open to hearing them.

EDIT: Some new ideas I had. Let me know what you think.

Name: Cassandra Ordo

Appearance: At first glance, Cassandra looks much smaller than one would expect from a Mandalorian Warrior. Her dirty blonde hair is often tied back into a messy ponytail. Her Mandalorian armor is a distinct blue.

Skills: As a Mandalorian, Cassandra is trained in the use of various weapons, ranging from blaster pistols to assault rifles and rocket launchers. She's also talented with explosives (both arming and defusing).

Equipment: Blaster pistol, assault rifle, jet pack

Personality: Generally, Cassandra is very cheerful and outgoing. In a mundane environment, Cassandra is very social. In the field, she's still optimistic and often retains a sense of humor, though that doesn't stop her from being ruthless. She isn't exactly one to back down from a challenge, although she's smart enough to know when she is in over her head. She's also not above vigilantism on occasion.

History: Cassandra's parents were both members of Clan Ordo, and served with the Protectors on the world of Concord Dawn. Though trained from a young age to be a Mandalorian Warrior, she would grow up to find herself in the middle of the Galactic Civil War, and faced with conflicting loyalties.

Cassandra was born a few years after the Protectors made their alliance with the Empire. While her loyalties were ultimately to Clan Ordo and the Mandalorians, she understood that they were presently recognizing the authority of the Imperial Forces. Then things changed when she was around the age of 10, when an encounter with the Rebel Alliance resulted in the Protectors changing sides. Before long, they were serving with the alliance, much to Cassandra's own confusion. She grew to respect both sides of the war, her only loyalty being to the Protectors.

Unfortunately, that loyalty was difficult to maintain. Cassandra's conflicting feelings eventually led her to decide she couldn't continue to serve her clan. With some difficulty, she chose to leave hoping to find something she could fight for, promising that she would return to Concord Dawn and to her people when the war against the Empire finally ended.

Finding that cause hasn't been easy. So far, Cassandra's mainly gotten by as a mercenary, taking jobs anywhere she can find them. Now on Taris, she serves as muscle for whoever is willing to offer credits. It's hardly an ideal job, or what Cassandra had hoped for when she left Concord Dawn. However, now that the war is over, she hopes to keep her promise of returning, although that depends on whether she can save the credits for a ship off Taris.

Affiliation: Mandalorian Protectors

Name: Aurora

Gender/Species: Twi'lek Female

Appearance: Aurora is easily distinguished by her colors. She is dark purple, and her preferred style of displaying her striped lekku involves placing the left one over her shoulder, while the right is left to hang behind. She is usually seen wearing a distinct tank top and thin pants which allow her to move quickly. 

Skills: Over her career, Aurora has learned a variety of skills which have proven useful in her line of work. Because of her experiences in escaping from slavery, she has developed social skills which prove useful for blending in. In addition to Twi'leki and Basic, Aurora has also developed an understanding of several alien languages. She is reasonably fluent in Zygerrian and Huttese, with a working knowledge of several other common languages including Wookie, Rodian, and Aqualish. She is also good at improvising her way out of tight situations, having developed a variety of techniques for escaping capture.

While working, Aurora's main specialty is blending in. She has proven to be most effective when it comes to stealth-based operations. Naturally, she often prefers to take enemies by surprise quietly whenever possible. Of course, when faced directly, she's still very handy with a blaster as well as hand-to-hand combat. She is also extremely agile, able to move quickly and quietly.

Equipment: Although she doesn't always carry them in public, Aurora has a reasonably decent-sized armory. At the very least, she usually keeps a pistol on hand, though she also owns a sniper rifle and an assault rifle, as well as often having at least one or two grenades or flashbangs within easy reach. She also owns a Thorn of Ryloth, which she keeps on her wrist.

Personality: While not entirely without ethics, Aurora can seem at first glance to be cold and selfish. She usually places her own interests first and foremost over those of others, although she can be very hardworking when offered a good amount of credits. That said, she usually avoids "no questions asked"-related jobs, and isn't afraid to back away from anything she feels is going too far. While there aren't many people she likes, Aurora is more willing to take on a particular customer if she has a good reason to hate their enemy. She also tries limit the work she does for any given employer, often being reluctant to take on multiple jobs in succession.

Of course, the one thing Aurora outright despises is slavery. Because of her own experiences, Aurora often has trouble when witnessing other people being treated as property, and this is the one time where she is willing to take the law into her own hands, to the point where she holds a firm prejudice towards Hutts and Zygerrians (both races who are known for slave trading). As a rule, Aurora avoids contracts with anyone who is known to own slaves and has been known to turn against customers if she learns that they have been involved in slavery after being hired (though this has gotten her into trouble with more than a few crime lords). Whenever possible, Aurora makes an effort to free any slaves she encounters or, failing that, is willing to break her usually cold attitude and attempts to show kindness in any way she can manage.

History: As a child, Aurora was one of many young Twi'leks taken from her home on Ryloth and a family she would never see again. Initially taken by the Empire, Aurora was passed through several different masters, each one proving increasingly demanding, first being sold off to the Zygerrians when the Imperial Forces grew tired of her. During that time, she repeatedly tried to escape, only to be recaptured and punished. Things changed when she was dealing with one of the worst Zygerrian masters. Aurora began to realize that she was largely ignored by the slave-owning population of Zygeria, and most of them didn't think much of their slaves.

Over time, she began to realize that they underestimated what she was capable of, a weakness she exploited when she finally killed her master. Although she felt satisfaction in performing the action, she also realized she would be in serious danger if she was found to be responsible. Using her master's keys, Aurora managed to escape his home, and escaped by stowing away in a Zygerrian freighter. She was eventually discovered while the ship was en route, and sold to a local Hutt on arrival at their destination. However, the young Twi'lek wasn't prepared to allow herself to be owned again.

Through a mix of wit, seduction, and non-verbal communication with other Twi'leks who had been enslaved, Aurora managed to overthrow the Hutt, freed his slaves, and fed him to a Sarlaac. At last, her dream of freedom had come true. However, she quickly decided not to take over the crime lord's Empire, fearing that she would be no better. Instead, she decided to become her own master, and chose not to have authority over anyone else. Her hope was to make a difference in the galaxy.

In doing so, Aurora began working as a freelance mercenary and a bounty hunter, a line of work that has taken her to several planets around the galaxy, all while trying to avoid staying with one employer for too long. Her experiences have made her cold and ruthless in the field, though there still remains a small part of her that remembers her life as a slave, fueling a continued anger towards those who still continue the practice.

Affiliation: None

Position: Mercenary

Alignment: Money

Edited by Atton Rand

• 3 weeks later...

Query: Would an HK-unit be acceptable as a character?

I'm not sure. That may depend on how you handled it. Of course, I don't seem to be the greatest authority on what would and wouldn't work, seeing as so far my efforts to create a good character have proven futile. That said, according to Wookiepedia, HK droids were used by the Separatists during the Clone Wars. Given that information, one being present at this time isn't totally impossible, probably as a survivor of the Clone Wars. Of course, you would still have to figure out why they're on Taris.

If you want, I'd be happy to work with you on developing a character. I've been looking for more opportunities at interaction anyway, having someone to work with probably wouldn't be a bad idea, and I've been experimenting with some new profiles (as you can see in the last few posts here) so perhaps there's a way we could pull our resources together. 

Edited by Atton Rand

Name: HK-64

Species: Assassination Droid/Protocol Droid

Appearance: Most droids in the HK-Series are built to resemble protocol droids to avoid suspicion, and the HK-64 model was no exception. If it wasn't for the particularly sinister looking head, with the upside-down shape of a trapezium, slim eyes and a protruding vocabulator, it would draw minimal attention from anyone, except paranoid people, droid-haters, and people who know what a HK-Unit looks like, and what it does. The HK-64 model is slightly taller than the average human. It's arms are not bended like the protocol droids it is built to emulate, allowing it to wield weapons more efficiently. It has a rather thin and weak looking frame, but this is to provide mobility, and to lull it's prey into a false sense of safety. It's exterior shell is coloured a dark shade of blue, with purplish-tinted photoreceptors. These calming colours, coupled with the droid's faux-flimsy design, makes any non-force-sensitive target completely unsuspecting when they kill them.

Skills: Required to fulfill the basic functions of a protocol droid, the HK-64 model is programmed with a wide variety of languages, including, but not limited to: Basic, Droidspeak, Huttese, Ubese, Mandalorian and Shyriiwook. Of course, the HK-64 is perfectly prepared for combat as well as translation and deliberate mistranslation. It is programmed with the knowledge of how to use many types of ranged and melee weapons... at least, those produced during the Clone Wars, as that is the time the HK-64 model was designed.

Equipment: An E-5 Blaster Rifle, that can be conveniently put away in a secret compartment in the unit's back that cannot be accessed by anyone else unless they have a crowbar, lightsaber, or somesuch. The purpose of this compartment is so that nobody questions why a "protocol droid" is holding a blaster in broad daylight. It also can store credit chips, in case additional weapons or any other item must be purchased. It also has a crude understanding of lightsaber techniques, and how to combat them, as part of it's anti-Jedi assassination protocols.

Personality: Fanatically loyal to whomever holds the title of master, dismissive of everyone else. Like many of the HK-Series, the HK-64 model refers to all organic life-forms as meatbags, a trait that despite how many memory-wipes it suffers, it still has. Despite it's enjoyment of terminating undesirable meatbags, it cannot do so unless that meatbag is attacking it or it's master or if it's master orders it to do so. It is very prideful in it's design, programming and function, and rather polite and well-mannered... when it's not trying to kill you that is.

History: Out of all the CIS's Systems attempts to recreate the HK-47 model, the HK-64 was the most faithful to the original design. Only one was ever produced, as they didn't want to waste credits mass-producing a design that didn't work. As part of a field experiment, the HK-64 unit was dispatched to Taris to assassinate a Republic senator spearheading the planet's reconstruction. It succeeded, but was destroyed before it could escape off-world. Now, someone has rebuilt and sold it, wiping it's memory in the process.

Affiliation: None until purchased

Edited by Toru Nui

Okay, so I've had a few ideas and I'm still waiting for the official go-ahead on any of them. However, I've been talking with Toru Nui and if the two of us can get an approval, we may be able to begin writing together as well. 

In light of this development, I've decided to take some time to revise Aurora's profile to make sure it's clearer. I was looking at possibly having her be the one who purchases HK-64 when they're both introduced, as she'd need him for a job.

Name: Aurora (real name unknown)

Gender/Species: Twi'lek Female

Appearance: Aurora is easily distinguished by her colors. She is dark purple, and her preferred style of displaying her striped lekku involves placing the left one over her shoulder, while the right is left to hang behind. She is usually seen wearing a distinct tank top and thin pants which allow her to move quickly. She wears a toolbelt on her waist, and displays a bracelet on her right arm which contains her Thorn of Ryloth.

Skills: Unsurprisingly, Aurora is an expert when it comes to firearms. She also has a working knowledge of hand-to-hand (though her Thorn of Ryloth gives her an advantage). However, her real specialty is stealth. Rather than charge directly at the enemy base, she usually prefers to sneak in the back door and take them out one at a time as quietly as possible, and if confronted will more likely throw a flashbang and make a run for it. This combined with her knowledge from serving the Empire has made her very effective for sabotage. 

Because of her experiences in escaping from slavery, Aurora has become something of an escape artist. Aside from being able to pick locks, she has developed several tactics for hacking into computers and bypassing security systems. She's also learned to be an excellent pickpocket, though she mainly uses this skill to lift keys.

Finally, Aurora has some linguistic skills that have proven very useful. She is fluent in Twi'leki, basic, Zygerrian, and Huttese, and has a working knowledge of most common alien languages.

Equipment: Although she doesn't always carry them in public, Aurora has an assortment of useful weapons and equipment. She usually carries a blaster pistol, which she keeps in a special case on her toolbelt. Said case is designed to lock the gun to her side, and can only be opened through fingerprint identification, allowing her to quickly draw without worry of her gun being lost or stolen. It also has a hidden compartment which is used to store a silencer.

In addition to this, she sometimes likes to keep at least two or three flashbangs on the belt as well, especially on the crime-filled outer rim worlds like Taris or Nar Shadaa. The one other weapon she carries at all times is the Thorn of Ryloth, a melee weapon concealed in the gauntlet she wears on her right arm. 

Aside from what she carries in public, Aurora also owns a few larger weapons, mostly whatever she can scavenge or purchase from local vendors. Her favorite weapon is a sniper rifle she has affectionately named "Tali" which is often kept hidden unless she knows it will be needed.

Personality: While not entirely without ethics, Aurora can seem at first glance to be cold and selfish. She usually places her own interests first and foremost over those of others, although she can be very hardworking when offered a good amount of credits.

That said, she usually avoids "no questions asked"-related jobs, and isn't afraid to back away from anything she feels is going too far. While there aren't many people she likes, Aurora is more willing to take on a particular customer if she has a good reason to hate their enemy, though it takes a huge grudge for her to be willing to work for less. She also tries limit the work she does for any given employer, often being reluctant to take on multiple jobs in succession.

Of course, the one thing Aurora outright despises is slavery. Because of her own experiences, Aurora often has trouble when witnessing other people being treated as property, and this is the one time where she is willing to take the law into her own hands, to the point where she holds a firm prejudice towards Hutts and Zygerrians (both races who are known for slave trading). As a rule, Aurora avoids contracts with anyone who is known to own slaves and has been known to turn against customers if she learns that they have been involved in slavery after being hired (though this has gotten her into trouble with more than a few crime lords). Whenever possible, Aurora makes an effort to free any slaves she encounters or, failing that, is willing to break her usually cold attitude and attempts to show kindness in any way she can manage.

History: Aurora doesn't talk much of her past. She grew up on Ryloth after the Rise of the Empire to a family whose name she has long abandoned, and as a child was among the many Twi'leks enslaved by Imperial Forces. Taken from her home, she spent the following years serving the Empire, during which time she worked in several Imperial Factories, labor camps, and anywhere else where slave labor was seen as useful. Though the Imperial Forces took great lengths to ensure she co-operated, Aurora was able to develop a working knowledge of Imperial Technology.  

Eventually, at the age of 14, Aurora was offered to Zygerria and auctioned to a ruthless Zygerrian slave-owner, leading to two more years of seemingly endless physical abuse. That was until one fateful day when Aurora was pushed too far, and made a promise to herself that one way or another she was going to escape. Over the following weeks, the Twi'lek began formulating a plan to dispose of her master. It wasn't easy, and required extreme patience while continuing to appear submissive.

One thing she quickly realized was that her master thought nothing of her, and foolishly believed he had total control. In truth, that was only what Aurora wanted him to believe, as it placed him in a false sense of security. It was one fateful night that she finally seized her opportunity, when her master was drunk and vulnerable. As he called for more Corellian Whiskey, Aurora was only too happy to comply. What he never expected was the poison she had managed to slip into his glass. From there, she stole his keys and by the time anyone realized what happened, she had stowed away on a Zygerrian freighter and was on her way to freedom.

Unfortunately, Aurora was eventually discovered by the crew. Not wanting to waste time and expenses taking her back to their homeworld, they instead opted to sell her to a local Hutt after reaching their destination. However, the young Twi'lek wasn't going to allow herself to be owned again. Through a mix of wit, seduction, and non-verbal communication with other Twi'leks who had been enslaved, Aurora managed to overthrow the Hutt, freed his slaves. When she was finished, his empire was in ruins. Aurora then took that Hutt out on his own sail barge, and fed him to a Saarlac.

At last, her dream of freedom had come true. However, she quickly decided not to take over the crime lord's Empire, fearing that she would be no better. Instead, she decided to become her own master, and chose not to have authority over anyone else.In doing so, Aurora began working as a freelance mercenary and a bounty hunter, a line of work that has taken her to several planets around the galaxy, all while trying to avoid staying with one employer for too long. Her experiences have made her cold and ruthless in the field, though there still remains a small part of her that remembers her life as a slave, fueling a continued anger towards those who still continue the practice.

Her latest job has brought her to Taris. It's a dangerous one, and will require her to find an assassin droid...

Affiliation: None

Position: Mercenary, bounty hunter, thief, assassin; pretty much anything if she's offered enough credits.

Alignment: Money

I've still been trying to figure out exactly what the job is at this point.

Are there any major crime bosses on Taris at the moment? The Exchange is probably no longer in business, but there are other organized criminal groups. If I'm not mistaken at this point Black Sun is more or less the big name in organized crime, and given their reputation it probably wouldn't be too far-fetched to assume they have some kind of influence on Taris. If they did have some kind of operation, it may also be possible that someone would be willing to offer good money for an assassin, thief, saboteur, or a combination thereof.

Edited by Atton Rand

• 3 months later...

I feel like it's become a Thing now for Star Wars RPGs to feature bars and bar-like establishments as a major focus in terms of places.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Well, everybody comes to Sue's. I believe I did mention at least once that she kinda reminded me of Rick Blaine. Now l we need is a male Wookie to serve as Ingrid Bergman. Then I could make someone to be Sydney Greenstreet. Then we can replace the Nazis with Stormtroopers.

Edited by Atton Rand

Okay, so I'm still trying to make some decisions and I won't bore you with all the details, but I thought it might be worth asking if there was anything in particular the RPG could use at the moment? We've probably got enough Inquisitors and I don't think I'd be very good at writing one anyway, but if there's any roles which would be useful but absent I'd be happy to look at creating a character to fill them.

Well, I guess Dak doesn't really count as a "regular stormie" at this point, given her forced defection and lack of a clear allegiance with anyone at the moment. That would leave only Odiina.

I suppose if anyone is interested, I had wondered about re-working some of my ideas for Kyra into a new character; perhaps one who would better fit the RPG. I was thinking I could still run with the idea of ex-Rebel disillusioned with the Alliance and the New Republic, and I could see about keeping the idea of her having a close friendship with a droid.

But the angle I took with Kyra's personality didn't lend itself that well to an RPG format. Instead, I was imagining a Dirty Harry-esque vigilante, who had become disillusioned with the alliance but instead quit so that she could fight on her own terms. Taris would naturally be the sort of place that would attract someone like her, with it's corrupt officials, large criminal organizations, and now the presence of both Inquisitorious and Imperial Forces.

• 1 month later...

That'd be great but actually I'm not planning on playing the game just yet. Unfortunately, I'm going on a long hiatus in about a week from now so creating a character and playing the game then suddenly falling off the face of BZP wouldn't really be fun for the other players.

I just feel like creating a character first so that I'd save myself the trouble of doing so in the future when I get back, if that's okay with you guys.

Edited by Koala Kranan

I love how there are two wildly different bar-fights going on at the same time.

On the one hand, we have a handful of Inquisitors and a contingent of elite troopers working to maintain control and apprehend a specific group of suspects. Stun-rounds flying everywhere, lots of smoke, civilians are broadly encouraged to take cover.

On the other hand, we appear to have an actual bar-room brawl featuring a large crowd of various aliens just sort of duking it out for no reason.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom