LEGO Group Parent Company Invests in Another Wind Farm

The LEGO Group (or more properly, its parent company, Kirkbi A/S) has followed up on their investment in the wind farm Borkum Riffgrund 1 by investing in a second wind farm, this time the Burbo Bank Extension in the Irish Sea. The wind farm is a project of Danish energy company DONG Energy, and Kirkbi has bought a 25% stake in this project. When completed, it will consist of 32 wind turbines and produce enough electricity for 230,000 British households per year. Follow the link above for the full press release!

View the full article

This makes me quite happy. Always nice to see a brand you like doing good.

Great way to make Lego look like a good company.

I'm sure their reasons for doing this are as much about business as they are about doing good or getting good PR. This isn't a non-profit or charity they're investing in, after all, so I'm sure they're counting on getting a return on that investment. Even with oil and natural gas prices down as low as they are currently, renewable energy is big business, and it will probably become a more and more important part of the world's energy infrastructure as the years go on.

That doesn't mean the global responsibility and public relations aspects of this deal are inconsequential, of course. But they're only part of the equation!

• Upvote 1

Woah, I didn't know that Lego has a parent company. [:S]

Kirkbi A/S is basically just a holding company belonging to the LEGO Group's founding family, the Kirk Kristiansens. Even though they are technically the LEGO Group's parent company on account of owning 75% of the company, LEGO is older than Kirkbi, and the overall ownership is still in the hands of the Kirk Kristiansen family.

Edited by Aanchir
  • Upvote 2