BIONICLE - Island of Doom: "The Arrival" (Animation)

Wow... That's actually really amazing. Aside from the backgrounds, the models are rather spot on with the MoL models.

u9et1dt.gif

Banner made by Onaku

BZPRPG CHARACTERS

Syvra-Tivanu

If you interact with one of my characters and I don't respond or acknowledge the interaction within a day, send me a PM. Odds are I missed or did not see the post.

The animation looks great, and I love the fact that you're using the models from the movie trilogy. With this short clip having taken 3 months to make though, I have to say that the idea of making an entire movie would be... time-consuming, to say the least. Even this short scene though is enough to spark nostalgia. Great job!

If only you could assemble a trustworthy and dedicated team to actually make an entire movie (I know, far fetched as heck). What you show here, though, is impressive in on its own. Not that I'm actually going to tell you to go ahead and try and make an entire movie (I mean, that would be nice, but again, far fetched), but I would love to see some more footage like this in the future.

I'm super impressed. Specially by that Toa Jaller model. Also I can't wait to see Matoro.

Did you happend to make the Matoran Jaller model by yourself or did you get the model from the movie from somewhere? Because if you actually made yourself, its amazingly reseambling the original

:0

Thank you all for the nice comments! ^_^

I'm glad it was nostalgic for you all as it was for me.

I'm super impressed. Specially by that Toa Jaller model. Also I can't wait to see Matoro.

Did you happend to make the Matoran Jaller model by yourself or did you get the model from the movie from somewhere? Because if you actually made yourself, its amazingly reseambling the original

:0

All by myself looking at various references. Some parts were more difficult to get than others, and some I kinda just had to guess. lol

A full turnaround of the Matoran Jaller model has been posted on the main post, so check that out as well! ^_^

This is an amazing piece of work. I too wish that the Inika storyline could have gotten an animated adaptation-either a film in this style or perhaps a cartoon series. The short is great, and I think you've captured what would likely play out in an actual Inika movie: the Matoran are shown getting new masks and we probably skip right to Voya Nui, likely without any Toa Nuva action except in Vakama narrative form.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Thanks you, to the new people who commented. ^_^

This has been making the rounds on Facebook - on BIONICLE's page, and we've shared it on ours too.

Oh wow. Awesome. Thank you guys so much for the exposure on this. It's that that will help me see if there is enough suppport to make this into a full length thing. :)

Wow.

I was slated to write the script for this arc of the NGP and was kinda bummed when it never came to fruition.  Nice to see that some people are still producing awesome content.  2006 was one of my favorite story arcs, mainly because I got to experience it with all the bells and whistles.

I do have two small criticisms.  While your expressions for Jaller were convincing--I felt there was a little too much "awe" in the first one.  It was a little too, for the lack of a better description, Takuay.  I would expect Jaller to have a little more burning determination in his expression.

My second issue was with the setting for the last scene.  The toa reveal in Dark Destiny was actually one of my favorite moments because of how dramatic it was.  I remember it was specifically stated it happened in poaring rain and we didn't know quite what had happened.  That provided an impetus for Jaller's fire powers and the reveal of the other Toa Inika, thought by this point what had happened was pretty obvious.  I just think the bright sunny beach doesn't provide that same drama.  It's more reminiscent of the MNOG and the first toa then anything.

However, I don't nearly have your talent or experience so despite my issues I have to say it's still amazing.

There's a dozen selves inside you, trying to be the one to run the dials

[BZPRPG Profiles]

Hatchi - Talli - Ranok - Lucira - FerellisMorie - Fanai - Akiyo - Yukie - Shuuan - Ilykaed - Pradhai - Ipsudir

And some aren't even on your side.

Wow.

I was slated to write the script for this arc of the NGP and was kinda bummed when it never came to fruition. Nice to see that some people are still producing awesome content. 2006 was one of my favorite story arcs, mainly because I got to experience it with all the bells and whistles.

I do have two small criticisms. While your expressions for Jaller were convincing--I felt there was a little too much "awe" in the first one. It was a little too, for the lack of a better description, Takuay. I would expect Jaller to have a little more burning determination in his expression.

My second issue was with the setting for the last scene. The toa reveal in Dark Destiny was actually one of my favorite moments because of how dramatic it was. I remember it was specifically stated it happened in poaring rain and we didn't know quite what had happened. That provided an impetus for Jaller's fire powers and the reveal of the other Toa Inika, thought by this point what had happened was pretty obvious. I just think the bright sunny beach doesn't provide that same drama. It's more reminiscent of the MNOG and the first toa then anything.

However, I don't nearly have your talent or experience so despite my issues I have to say it's still amazing.

Dude he doing this with no budget. It dope af :v

k4dyNA9.jpg?1

OPEN WORLD 3D GAME SET ON SPHERUS MAGNA AFTER THE END OF G1

Wow.

I was slated to write the script for this arc of the NGP and was kinda bummed when it never came to fruition.  Nice to see that some people are still producing awesome content.  2006 was one of my favorite story arcs, mainly because I got to experience it with all the bells and whistles.

I do have two small criticisms.  While your expressions for Jaller were convincing--I felt there was a little too much "awe" in the first one.  It was a little too, for the lack of a better description, Takuay.  I would expect Jaller to have a little more burning determination in his expression.

My second issue was with the setting for the last scene.  The toa reveal in Dark Destiny was actually one of my favorite moments because of how dramatic it was.  I remember it was specifically stated it happened in poaring rain and we didn't know quite what had happened.  That provided an impetus for Jaller's fire powers and the reveal of the other Toa Inika, thought by this point what had happened was pretty obvious.  I just think the bright sunny beach doesn't provide that same drama.  It's more reminiscent of the MNOG and the first toa then anything.

If I began making this into a whole thing, I would change things to make it more accurate to the books. With this short, I was just testing out the waters, based on said scenes, but weaving it together in a matter that would make sense for the short amount of time I had to work with. 

I appreciate your comment. ^_^

Dude he doing this with no budget. It dope af :v

Thanks you so much. I'm glad people liked it. ^_^

As I have said it before, I love this. Dude, you have fulfilled my dream of at least seeing a 2006 BIONICLE Miramax Film. Which begs the question, why did we never get a film for 2006? This, I have never been able to get a proper answer to. But you, the Grand Sir that you are, have like I said, fulfilled my dream. Now for my other dreams to come true (which happens to be one thing more). As stated though, it would be great to see a full feature length film adaptation of this short.

All I have to say is, keep up the great work man, you certainly have a knack for this sort of thing.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

AUGH! IT'S SO COOL!!!!!!

*ahem* Excuse me. *straightens fez* This is a marvelous piece of work. It filled me with the same rush of ecstasy and nostalgia the original Bionicle movies made me feel as a kid. It's so well done (worlds better than Foodfight)! Bravo, sir!

PLEASE MAKE MORE AUGH IT'S SO AMAZING...

• Upvote 1

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

I want to know why LEGO didn't do this in the first place! This would be a fantastic source of information on the 2006 story. Most laid back BIONICLE fans think that BIONICLE HEROES is accurate. I promptly tell them "no" and move on with my life. But if I could turn them to something visual, it would make things a lot easier.

And if by any chance you need voices, I am free.

~UntitledModel_9.png.a8adc254dbd8da1586473030e7c7d30e.png~

I want to know why LEGO didn't do this in the first place! This would be a fantastic source of information on the 2006 story. Most laid back BIONICLE fans think that BIONICLE HEROES is accurate. I promptly tell them "no" and move on with my life. But if I could turn them to something visual, it would make things a lot easier.

And if by any chance you need voices, I am free.

While BIONICLE HEROES was anything but accurate, it was still fun. I'd like to say that if lego did a movie for 2006, it would look like this, but lego might mess it up and make it look inaccurate.

Edited by Vrokorta

Kopaka.png

stone_good.png

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! It's nice to see a lot of you are willing to help out providing voices.

Yes, it was always a dream of mine to have movies with these already known characters continue on and follow their new adventures. 

Btw, I began modeling Toa Hahli and rendered some new still frames. The main post has been updated with em'!

-Please take a look! ^_^

--Enjoy

I need to get a mic, like real badly. I VOLUNTEER AS TRIBUTE!

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

No matter how low on IMDB it scored, Mask of Light was a great movie, and the music always brings back memories and fills you with hope. Great music selection here!

"Remember when the comics forum had a lot of good stuff? Let's make that a thing again." -Kazi the Matoran

No matter how low on IMDB it scored, Mask of Light was a great movie, and the music always brings back memories and fills you with hope. Great music selection here!

Actually, this is a track from more canceled fan movie "Quest For The Toa". I think Vahkiti still has some tracks/clips up on his YouTube channel, as well as some spectacular remixes of the MNOG soundtrack.

• Upvote 1

cLT23Pz.png

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy,

I remember seeing this actually around the time it came out, I believe. It's interesting to see it here where I can give a proper review. 

Now before I move onto the review I'd just like to say that this is by far the most impressive BIONICLE Fan Art/Project I've seen in a while and quite possibly, in forever.

Needless to say though, I will judge it as accurately and as fair as I can as I feel that people can learn and grow especially when lead towards the right direction. Speaking from a fellow artist's perspective, it's not uncommon for people who create things to see their work through rose-colored glasses and not spot any potential faults in their work. I'd just like to illustrate what I feel could be potentially improved or at the very least, done differently to my personal tastes. I recommend to take everything I say with a grain of salt, as I am by no means a 3d animator. I have researched animation as a subject before, I have worked in 3d modeling programs and I have done my fair share of animation tests in it so I have a very basic means of understanding regarding animation. Nonetheless, I'd like to give my thoughts on this work and project of yours. Since this is a much larger contribution than most (in terms of size since it isn't simply a static image), I'll separate the points I'm making to hopefully make this easier to follow.

General Review:

Title Introduction:

Time went over: 0:01-0:09

I figure I'll start off with the Title Introduction. You definitely set it up in a way that works extremely well. I love the way the text fades into the black and then fades out with the rest of it, it works very well. At the same time though, it makes it very clear that this is a fan animation and not from the studio. The main reason for this is because often times this studio will use particle effects in a given instance to make the text look flashier either upon entering or leaving. This doesn't by any means make the animation look bad, in fact, it almost makes it look better or at the very least, appropriate. The 2006 storyline was riddled with a dark and brooding environment which makes the style you used fit in. This was the first thing I noticed.

I will also say that you timed the music perfectly with the entering of the text and the fade into the animation. I have no points to bring up about it besides its apparent perfection.

Animation Introduction: 

Time went over: 0:10-0:26

The placement of where you started the camera pan worked very well in my opinion as it caught up with the character in the scene, Jaller. This next part irked me though, which was the sound that followed. For some reason, it just sounds off. I'm not a sound expert, I don't do things with audio and I'm not musically talented in any way so I can't give too much of an explanation for why it sounds off. The only thing I can tell is that given the environment and the fact that matoran are supposed to be made of part metal, the foot steps sound much too soft. I expect a slightly lower (in pitch) and slightly harder (volume) sound to be made considering that it's metal clanging against stone. It isn't too big of a deal since it's very clear that these matoran aren't obviously going to be featured for most of the scenes, but it's still something that doesn't sound right. 

Following in this same vein, the footsteps looked odd. I know that the matoran walking in the style you are emulating looked odd as well but this animation showcased it more. This mainly revolves around how the feet appear to be aligned during the walk cycle. For some reason the foot not being lifted seems to slide slightly back while the opposite foot lifts up to make a new step. Walking around my room right now, I can say that this isn't how walking traditionally looks. I'm not going to put all of that on your skills as an animator though since a realistic walk cycles revolves around a key component which I'm not sure is featured in the model being used, which is that the foot is able to support itself off the ball of the foot (which I'm not sure is a present component in the model you are using). This picture I found gives an accurate idea of what I'm talking about.

Link

I see no purposeful reason for the foot to slide back besides perhaps thoughts on the environment being "slippery" which in this given situation, would just lead to the character slipping if their foot were to slide back. The only other purposeful reason I can gander is that the walk cycle was too quick for the pacing of the music and to remedy this you slid the character back slightly to get the proper pacing. In this given situation, if that were the case, I wouldn't recommend doing any kind of animation cycle editing on the main object of interest in the audience's viewpoint. I don't actually have any idea of what the process of this was like so once again, take any hypothetical situation I give with a grain of salt.

The rest of the animation in this time period worked exceptionally well. I love how Jaller's theme kicked in at the 0:18 second mark which worked beautifully with the camera's pan up. You displayed the emotion of the character well with how unusual it feels for him to be wearing a different mask. You also transitioned the rest of the movement well with the animation.

The way how it transitions from Jaller nearly walking off screen to the canisters in the ocean worked magnificently as well, I love how it faded in and the direct sound following up which clarified the situation involving the environment. It was very clever.

Ocean and Canister Scene:

Time went over: 0:27-0:47

I really like storm scenes, they're some of my favorites in animations. The chaotic actions involved in them normally win me over, especially in regards to the ocean. This was no exception. 

I liked the entire render of the storm scenes it works well in the pace that it's at. The only real "issues" I can see happen if you pause and look closely at the scenes. This is something that I don't expect many people to notice, only those who have either been on the ocean or who have studied it in some way. Because of my recent artistic endeavors, I've had the option to study how oceans work and fluid mechanics and such so although still a novice, I'm speaking from at least some experience on this next part.

1. The lack of foam during the waves crashing is the first thing I noticed. There also is a lack of foam around the canisters themselves.
  2. The second thing I noticed was the lack of ocean textures moving.
  3. Thirdly and lastly, it was the lack of any serious particles (I noticed some but they were very minimal) from the waves crashing or interacting with each other. 

None of these are anything I noticed during my first viewing though. You used the rain efficiently in disguising these attributes and you used the thunder efficiently as well in distracting the audience from these points whether intentional or not. So the only way I could have possible noticed them was if I was looking for faults. 

Now let me quickly move onto what I thought you did excellent on. The sound was perfect during this portion. Absolutely fantastic. The thunder, the downpour of the rain and the sounds of the ocean were all phenomenal, nice work. It really set up and added to the scene impeccably. 

Back to the animation, this time I'll focus on the canisters. I hate to say it but these were my least favorite part of the animation. While still good, there definitely was some parts that seemed off about them. The main part I noticed was at the 0:33-0:34 mark, one of the canisters (3rd one from the left) had an odd jerking motion to it which didn't make sense in the context as to what was going on. 

And in the next scene, the way how they were side ways and suddenly, more or less, upright was an odd choice as well. It doesn't make too much sense in the prior context of how they were being transported. I can't think of a reason for this besides perhaps every single matoran sliding to the very back of the canister thus displacing the weight and potentially turning it more "upright" but even then it's… odd. 

On the other hand though in that same particular scene, the reveal of the Red Star was pretty awesome and the lightning coming form it looked similar in effect to the kind found in the studio you're emulating. The fade to white also worked exceptionally well with the following scene.

Voya-Nui Overview:

Time went over: 0:48-0:55

The fade from white into the overview of the clouded skies over Voya-Nui worked exceptionally well. There isn't much I can say about this besides it being perfect. This whole time frame to me is pretty much perfect. The fade in, the fade out, the slight movement of the clouds and the camera panning, everything was perfect. In a way I feel bad for the fact that this will probably be the smallest section of the review despite being the most positive but I suppose that's how critiques work.

Waking up on the beach/End of animation:

Time went over: 0:56-1:14

I figure that I'll specifically bring up a prior point that someone else made in the comments already, which is that although I like this particular scene, it doesn't follow the story accurately which is a shame. The darker, brooding environment is something I was looking forward to when I first saw this animation a month or two ago. 

Despite that expectation, this part is probably the 2nd most well done of the entire animation right behind the one before it. The fade from white into the light scenery of the Voya-Nui Coastline was good, and the slow pan from the open canister to Jaller was also great. The overall animation of Jaller in this particular scene was also fantastic. From the almost out of breath feeling to the confusion, it worked well given the events in the animation.

Once again, the sound was perfect. The music fit well, the panting was great and I also liked the slight "twing" sound (only way I can describe it) of his neck moving. It's the little details like that which make an animation.

I also must say that I like that you didn't fade into the credits, you just popped it up. Fading to black gives the sense of the animation ending, that it was complete and that nothing more can be added to it. Simply popping up into black gives the idea that, "this is all I made so far but look forward to more," which I hope is accurate.

This concludes the actual animated review. 

Models, Textures and Assets:

This is going to be reviewing the models, textures and assets used in the video and the various qualities surrounding them. The first thing I'd like to point out is that all of the character models are exceptional. There literally isn't anything I can think of that looks off about them, they all look great. The scenes/settings of the animations also look exceptional, the textures are either great or they work well enough to be passable. Overall, not too many things I can think of to fix, all except one thing though.

This is in regards to the specularity of the models. This irked me a bit, given the environment of Voya-Nui and for this I'm going to be including in this review the two renders you made as well. I'm going to be explaining this through the use of this chart I have linked right here:

Link

The whole point of the setting of Voya-Nui in the story was that it was this dark and desolate place… which makes me wonder why your characters don't have much contrast at all. It looks to me (based off of this chart) that you're working with [Hardness: 5, Specularity: 0.5] when it really looks like it should be more similar to [Hardness: 50, Specularity: 0.5]. What I'm trying to say is that the lighting looks too soft to give any real sense of dread that the characters should be facing, especially in the first part of the animation where they are literally in the land of nightmares. It just doesn't look right especially in the "Animation Introduction" where the ground visibly looks wet but the character himself does not.

The only exception to this ruling I can see is the last scene with Toa Inika Jaller, which to me, fits well with the atmosphere. He's suddenly a toa and he's given the ability to become the hero he's always wanted to be. This is a light hearted scenario and thus the style of lighting used works well. Otherwise it simply looks off.

Especially in the Toa Hahli and Jaller render, there is very little contrast between the shadows and the lighting. It doesn't give me the depth of dread that was surrounding them during the story arc. Thus it just looks… well, silly.

What I'm trying to say is, Voya-Nui was often depicted with rain, make the characters look like they've been having a hard time. Give me shadows, give me contrast, make me feel the same kind of doom they are feeling on the island through the visuals. Without paying attention to the different feelings one can feel with lighting, the environment you're trying to create will just fall apart.

As for sounds, you did everything involving sounds perfectly save for the beginning footsteps. The music worked well for the animation and you were able to set up the right kind of environment that was needed through your use of sounds. So nicely done.

Conclusion:

Overall, I liked it. Like I said before, it was one of the best BIONICLE fan arts/projects I've seen in a while. It was exceptionally well done in all aspects of its creation and it truly deserves all the praise it is getting. Consider me actually impressed by the result. Thus, as little as this might mean to you, I'd like to give you this.

soran_stamp_of_stupendousness_by_soarins

I look forward to any future projects you work on and I wish you the best in further developing your talent and passion,

~Soran

PS: I'm curious what animation software you used to create this piece, which one was it?

Edited by Soran
  • Upvote 2
soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed the short so much, thank you! I always wanted to see a Bionicle movie from every storyline (06-08) after the first trilogy (MoL, LoMN and WoS). I hope you could do more of them in the future! :D I have been a big supporter of Bionicle fan film projects where they tried to make a cg series of animated fan films for each story year (2001-2010) but fell apart soon after  :(

Don't worry I am not suggesting you should make a 40 or a 90 minute video. That would be too much to ask of you! :D

I really like the style of animation you are going for. It fits very well with the Miramax trilogy and yeah I hope you do more of them soon!

Edited by bohrokmaster

• 3 weeks later...

Wow this is insanely impressive! Man I wish we got more of those miramax films, I loved the stylization and they had such heart and emotion. I look forward to seeing more from you! 

10331959915_9f4d0b34c7.jpg
"Avengers? Fantastic Four? X-Dudes? They can all kiss my bony, flammable plastic."- Johnathan Blaze (Ghost Rider Vol 7 0.1)

(I'm sure I had already replied to this topic, don't know why my reply isn't here).

That's awesome! You really nailed the art style from the movies, it's impossible to distinguish this from the original movies made by LEGO. Just like for your other video, the use of the original music really makes this feel authentic. I love how you made Hahli's mask, she looks close to the set but "alive". I also noticed you made different models for the Matoran masks and the Toa masks, making the latters more "organic", as they're supposed to be. I really appreciated that.

What 3d program did you use to make these videos? 3ds Max? Blender? Maya? :)

hidron_nuva_idea.png