Hot Water

Can Toa control the specifics of their element, in this case, the heat of it?

Can a Toa of water, perhaps with a lot of training, control the creation of hot, middle-temp, and cold water? Or just...water...of a regular temperature?

Fire and Ice seem to be interesting since Fire is really more like heat increase and Ice is more like heat decrease along with their physical element?

Anyway, thoughts?

Can a Toa of water, perhaps with a lot of training, control the creation of hot, middle-temp, and cold water? Or just...water...of a regular temperature?

Fire and Ice seem to be interesting since Fire is really more like heat increase and Ice is more like heat decrease along with their physical element?

Anyway, thoughts?

You kind of answered your own question. If Toa of Water could control the temperature of their element directly, it'd pretty much make Toa of Ice obsolete. So it's probably safe to assume that they can neither heat nor cool water with their powers alone.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I think  a Toa of Water might be able to vibrate the molecules of the water, which could generate heat and boil it, but it's probably quite difficult to do. 

Don't know if the same could be done for other elements, though. Pohatu might be able to manipulate rock as if it were liquid, but it wouldn't be the same as making it into lava.

I imagine a Ga-Toa wouldn't be able to do the reverse and cool the water down, short of churning it to disperse the heat. But I think she could, with practice, sculpt a column of water into an ice-like solid shape and hold it there temporarily without the molecules moving, but because she couldn't control the temperature directly to freeze it, it would collapse when she broke off her concentration.

• Upvote 3

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Anyway, thoughts?

You kind of answered your own question. If Toa of Water could control the temperature of their element directly, it'd pretty much make Toa of Ice obsolete. So it's probably safe to assume that they can neither heat nor cool water with their powers alone.

I suppose I don't mean controlling the temperature of their water once it is created, or of naturally occurring water. I was thinking more so the ability to create hot water vs cold water or room temperature water through the use of elemental energy?

I suppose I don't mean controlling the temperature of their water once it is created, or of naturally occurring water. I was thinking more so the ability to create hot water vs cold water or room temperature water through the use of elemental energy?

I'm going to say probably not, at least based on what we've seen of Elemental Water powers in the story. Alyska offers the most plausible way of doing it, but I think Toa of Water are more like Supersoakers than they are like faucets.

The only possible example I can think of is that scene in the early comics where Gali turns water vapour into a flood. Not sure if that involved her cooling the vapour into liquid form or just multiplying it until there was enough for it to condensate.

• Upvote 1

The only possible example I can think of is that scene in the early comics where Gali turns water vapour into a flood. Not sure if that involved her cooling the vapour into liquid form or just multiplying it until there was enough for it to condensate.

I would imagine that she can absorb water vapour if it's dense enough and release it as liquid water.

She could turn vapour into liquid by slowing the movement of the molecules and drawing them together, and could probably do the reverse as well. 

Moving molecules can generate or help disperse heat, but it's not quite the same thing as direct temperature manipulation. I think most Toa are theoretically capable of producing at least some heat by moving their element around (e.g, Pohatu can rub two rocks together very fast so that the friction creates heat and maybe even a spark), but it's really just a more intense version of you rubbing your hands together to get warm.

• Upvote 3

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

"Ice is still water!" Gali, Uniter of Water throwing a piece of ice at Kopaka, 2016. That throws everything out the window.

I always thought that a Toa of Water could control it regardless of their temperature, as long as it was liquid. Controling the temperature would be impossible, because it gets in the way of the Fire and Ice elements. Gali creating a flood out of mist might be just her collecting enough moisture to collapse it. I guess they always create water at their body temperature.

• Upvote 1

AUGH, i really wanted to wait until i had something to add to the discussion but most things i could say have already been said, and ever since i saw the title i've had a pressing need to comment here just  because that one line Tahu says to Gali in Mask of Light keeps pecking at my brain,

you know the one.

(also yeah i agree that water toa control the substance while ice toa control the temp, they freeze ice out of the water in the air like frozone, wheras Gali would just sling the ice around as she does water, unable to produce more of it.)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

• 3 weeks later...

I want to say that they are able to create heat by molecule vibration and liquid to gas conversion, but aren't programmed for the other way around so that they are able to stop molecules to the point where itms ice?

Archon                      

"For one to truly feel alive, the person must kill oneself a little bit each and every day."

Check out my MOC, one of the new generation of Toa on Spherus Magna!

***Toa Kyraan***