Could Bionicle Ever Get a Cinematic Film?

Banana Gunz

What about Adam Sandler making a Bionicle movie? Any guesses as to what would happen or how it would turn out?

Given how his recent films have gone, I'd probably straight up cry upon seeing "Bionicle: The Movie - Starring Adam Sandler" on a poster.

He might actually work as a comic relief character, such as Lewa or Kongu. If he were to play Kopaka, however, I'd facepalm hard enough to put a hand-shaped dent in my face.

Edited by FrozenPancake_

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

What about Adam Sandler making a Bionicle movie? Any guesses as to what would happen or how it would turn out?

Given how his recent films have gone, I'd probably straight up cry upon seeing "Bionicle: The Movie - Starring Adam Sandler" on a poster.

He might actually work as a comic relief character, such as Lewa or Kongu. If he were to play Kopaka, however, I'd facepalm hard enough to put a hand-shaped dent in my face.

Considering his infamous recent movies, I honestly cannot tell if you're being serious, ironic or engaging in lighthearted trolling. Admittedly hotel transylvania was apparently okay (well according to some reviewers I've seen) but I don't think the sort of acting he does there could even properly fit in Bionicle. Not to mention the fact that his inclusion would paint a target on the movie for every movie reviewer  and internet critic in the universe.

Edited by The Invisible Noob

I wouldn't even want him playing comic relief... he's just not funny anymore.

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

Unless we cast Drew Barrymore into the movie as a comedic foil for Sandler, there is no way Sandler could add anything to the movie. Nope not at all!

And since most of the Sandler-Barrymore films are romantic comedies, I doubt their style of comedy would translate to the love-less Bionicle world. Unless Lego wants to canonize Maku and Hewkii again!

• Upvote 1

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

The move to make the inhabitants of the MU emotionless automatons irks me to this day.

They're not emotionless; they just have no concept of romance.

It's still a bad decision in my opinion, removing a key aspect of the characters' relatability. And it was a decision actively retconned older story information. A lack of actual sexual reproduction doesn't even begin to justify a world without love, which is what the Matoran Universe began to resemble in the later years.

• Upvote 1

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Considering his infamous recent movies, I honestly cannot tell if you're being serious, ironic or engaging in lighthearted trolling. Admittedly hotel transylvania was apparently okay (well according to some reviewers I've seen) but I don't think the sort of acting he does there could even properly fit in Bionicle. Not to mention the fact that his inclusion would paint a target on the movie for every movie reviewer  and internet critic in the universe.

I wouldn't even want him playing comic relief... he's just not funny anymore.

Hey, I said might. :P

Now, as for a better comedic actor: How 'bout David Tennant? He can be serious when needed, but very funny at times as well. He gave an excellent performance as the 10th Doctor, and I'm sure he could pull off most Bionicle protagonists, especially Lewa. No, wait-- What if he played NUPARU?  :o

96DIFYm.png

which is what the Matoran Universe began to resemble in the later years.

Is that why the MU seemed that way? Or is it because Farshtey moved the plot along so aggressively that there were few moments where the characters could interact with each other on a personal level?

A combination of the two, I think. I get the impression that while the explicit reason Greg gave for the lack of romance was the lack of sexual reproduction in the Matoran Universe, the implicit reasoning was that he just didn't want to have to actually write relationships, or at the very least, wanted an easy escape clause to having to field shipping questions. Either way, it eliminated a lot of perfectly legitimate and relatable storytelling possibilities and retconned several fan-favorite relationships out of existence, so I can't really consider it to be a very well thought out decision.

• Upvote 2

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

which is what the Matoran Universe began to resemble in the later years.

Is that why the MU seemed that way? Or is it because Farshtey moved the plot along so aggressively that there were few moments where the characters could interact with each other on a personal level?

A combination of the two, I think. I get the impression that while the explicit reason Greg gave for the lack of romance was the lack of sexual reproduction in the Matoran Universe, the implicit reasoning was that he just didn't want to have to actually write relationships, or at the very least, wanted an easy escape clause to having to field shipping questions. Either way, it eliminated a lot of perfectly legitimate and relatable storytelling possibilities and retconned several fan-favorite relationships out of existence, so I can't really consider it to be a very well thought out decision.

I just wrote a whole piece in the story line and theories forum about/inspired by this! I recommend checking it out if you'd like a cool new perspective on the issue.

Unless we cast Drew Barrymore into the movie as a comedic foil for Sandler, there is no way Sandler could add anything to the movie. Nope not at all!

What if he could get Jack Nicholson to voice Karzahni?

But, other than that, I tremble when I think of Sandler at the helm.

• Upvote 2

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

What if he could get Jack Nicholson to voice Karzahni?

But, other than that, I tremble when I think of Sandler at the helm.

HEEEEEEERRRE'S KARZAHNI!

XD

Joking aside, Jack Nicholson would be flippin' awesome as Karzahni. Or perhaps Vezon...

• Upvote 1

96DIFYm.png

What if he could get Jack Nicholson to voice Karzahni?

But, other than that, I tremble when I think of Sandler at the helm.

HEEEEEEERRRE'S KARZAHNI!

XD

Joking aside, Jack Nicholson would be flippin' awesome as Karzahni. Or perhaps Vezon...

I love these ideas! Or maybe Johnny Depp could play Vezon or Lewa.:)

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Lewa is one of those characters that could be Tumblr's new favourite cinnamon roll if done right, and the next Jar Jar Binks if done wrong. David Tennant and his lovely Scottish accent is my dream casting for him, but Sandler might actually manage to usurp Jar Jar.

• Upvote 2

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Lewa is one of those characters that could be Tumblr's new favourite cinnamon roll if done right, and the next Jar Jar Binks if done wrong. David Tennant and his lovely Scottish accent is my dream casting for him, but Sandler might actually manage to usurp Jar Jar.

Yes. Just yes.

I agree with this.

As for my Sandler idea, I was just joking. :P

• Upvote 1

96DIFYm.png

What if he could get Jack Nicholson to voice Karzahni?

But, other than that, I tremble when I think of Sandler at the helm.

HEEEEEEERRRE'S KARZAHNI!

XD

I love these ideas! Or maybe Johnny Depp could play Vezon or Lewa. :)

Considering that Johnny Depp tends to play rather wild unusual characters, I'd say he'd do Vezon quite nicely. :P

• Upvote 1

"All magic comes with a price, dearie!" -The Dark One

I'm known on the LMB's as Brickobotface, Teh Dark One is merely a fad. :P

Yes. That's a top-notch idea.

Anyone think Robert Downey Jr. would make a good Matau? or maybe a Pohatu? or (based on his performance in Natural Born Killers), a maniac Vezon. 

Hmmm. I'm not sure which one would suit him best.

If all else fails, Russell Brand could make a good Vezon.

"Mutiny, Booty and Entropy"  - The Three Vices of the Frostelus

[flash=250,100]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

Yes. That's a top-notch idea.

Anyone think Robert Downey Jr. would make a good Matau? or maybe a Pohatu? or (based on his performance in Natural Born Killers), a maniac Vezon. 

Hmmm. I'm not sure which one would suit him best.

If all else fails, Russell Brand could make a good Vezon.

In my opinion, RDJ is best suited as Kopaka.  After all, he played another calm, calculating genius... Iron Man. Oh, and Sherlock Holmes, too. :P

As for Vezon, Mark Hamill. *drops mic*

96DIFYm.png

Since you guys like talking about movie actors playing Bionicle characters of there would be a Bionicle cinematic movie, I made a list of famous celebrity actors that I think would be fitting for some Bionicle characters in my mind:

1. Tahu Richard Armitage or Hugh Jackman

2. Gali - Scarlett Johansson

3. Lewa - Jackie Chan, Johnny Depp, or David Tennant

4. Kopaka - Michael Fassbender or Jeremy Renner

5. Pohatu - Michael Keaton, Christian Bale, or Ben Affleck

6. Onua - Vin Diesel

7. Takua/Takanuva - Tom Holland

8. Makuta Teridax/Makuta - Ibris Elba or Josh Brolin

9. Vakama (Toa) - James McCoy

10. Roodaka - Angelina Jolie or Michelle Pfeiffer

11. Avak - Mickey Rourke

12. Makuta Miserix - Tony Todd

13. Pridak - Hugo Weaving or Willem Dafoe

14. Kiina - Daisy Ridley or Victoria Justice

15. Skull Slicer - Sam Rockwell or Tom Kenny

16. Umarak - Mark Ryan

17. Nokama (Toa) - Gal Gadot

18. Thok - Frank Grillo

19. Whenua (Toa) - Michael Chiklis

20. Keetongu - Vin Diesel

21. Vezon - Johnny Depp or Andy Serkis

22. Jaller - Andrew Garfield

23. Kulta the Skull Grinder - Lee Pace

24. Malum - Sebastian Stan

25. Metus - Sam Rockwell

26. Gresh - Andrew Garfield

27. Hahli - Anne Hathaway

So, there.:) Anyone got any ideas about other characters?

Edited by Lenny7092

Since you guys like talking about movie actors playing Bionicle characters of there would be a Bionicle cinematic movie, I made a list of famous celebrity actors that I think would be fitting for some Bionicle characters in my mind:

6. Onua - Vin Diesel

11. Avak - Mickey Rourke

16. Umarak - Mark Ryan

18. Thok - Frank Grillo

25. Metus - Sam Rockwell

So, there. :) Anyone got any ideas about other characters?

*notes how you put only Batman actors for Pohatu* :P

Ooo, Jackie Chan as Lewa? Interesting, interesting. I really want to see this now. 

Jeremy Renner as Kopaka? Time for an Age of Ultron parody...

Gali: This doesn't make any sense!

Kopaka: The city's in ruins. We're fighting reanimated skeletons, and I have a shield that turns into skis. Nothing makes sense.

• Upvote 1

96DIFYm.png

• 2 weeks later...

Financially, I don't think Lego would take that kind of risk. I'm actually really surprised to hear the Ninjago movie is gonna be released theatrically, a single story-focused theme seems like far more of a risk than running with sort of a novel idea based on brand recognition (cmon, who wouldn't be interested in a movie just called "THE LEGO MOVIE").

On the other side of things though I think a theatrical film based on Bionicle would work as a movie. Mask of Light hasn't aged terribly well but I think it's the kind of animated movie people go to see in theaters. Bionicle (either generation IMO, all you really need to build a good story off of is a good backdrop) has more than enough potential to fill two hours with a self-sustained storyline.

The thing is it's probably safer and a better marketing strategy to put those two hours of story into a simple Netflix miniseries instead of going bigger than Mask of Light.

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

6. Onua - Vin Diesel

11. Avak - Mickey Rourke

16. Umarak - Mark Ryan

18. Thok - Frank Grillo

25. Metus - Sam Rockwell

So, there. :) Anyone got any ideas about other characters?

*notes how you put only Batman actors for Pohatu* :P

Ooo, Jackie Chan as Lewa? Interesting, interesting. I really want to see this now. 

Jeremy Renner as Kopaka? Time for an Age of Ultron parody...

Gali: This doesn't make any sense!

Kopaka: The city's in ruins. We're fighting reanimated skeletons, and I have a shield that turns into skis. Nothing makes sense.

Lol. I love this!:D

You know, if a (live-action) cinematic Bionicle movie were made like this, it would be like a mix of Transformers, "I, Robot" from 2004, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Avengers.

If it were successful, it would start a cinematic universe franchise because of how the G1 story is like: many stories and each of them has a different character(s)'s perspective. Examples include Toa Metru (as a film) and Toa Inika (as a film).

For that matter, the Bionicle Cinematic Universe would be like this:

1. Bionicle - Toa Mata/Toa Masters fighting Makuta (Teridax) and his army of Infected Rahi and/or Skull Creatures

2. Bionicle 2 - Toa Nuva/Toa Uniters fighting the Bohrok and Bohrok Kal

3. Bionicle 3 - Toa Nuva/Toa Uniters recruiting Takanuva, Elemental Creatures, and the Av-Matoran while fighting Makuta and his army of Rahkshi and the Brotherhood of Makuta

4. Bionicle: Toa Metru - a prequel that is based on the 2004 story

5. Bionicle: Toa Metru 2: Toa Hordika - a sequel to the prequel, and is based on the 2005 story

6. Bionicle: Toa Inika - a spinoff based on the 2006 story

7. Bionicle: Toa Inika 2: Toa Mahri - a sequel to the spinoff, and is based on the 2007 story

8. Bionicle 4 - based on the 2009 story and The Legend Reborn movie

9. Bionicle 5 - After Makuta (Teridax) took control of the Matoran Universe, he would send the Dark Hunters and Umarak the Hunter to capture or kill the former Great Spirit Mata Nui in Bara Magna, who works to find a way to get back his kingdom from Makuta.

10. Bionicle 6 - based on the 2010 story, but better and shows every character fighting each other

11. Bionicle 7 - based on the events after the 2010 story, like Velika's killing spree, but with resolved things

12. Bionicle Origins: Toa Mata/Toa Masters - a prequel shows to origins of the Toa Mata/Toa Masters

13. Bionicle Origins: Core War - another prequel that takes place on the Core War in G1, which started the whole Bionicle story

14. Bionicle Origins: Glatorian - a prequel that shows the adventures of the Glatoran before Mata Nui arrived

15. Bionicle Origins: Toa Mangai - the origins of Toa Mangai

16. Bionicle: Lesovikk - the origins of Lesovikk and his Toa Team and his fight with Karzahni

17. Bionicle: Order of Mata Nui - the origins of the Order of Mata Nui and their struggle to fight against the Brotherhood of Makuta

18. Bionicle: Federation of Fear - based on the 2008 serial

19. Bionicle Origins: Ekimu - the origins of Ekimu

20. Bionicle: Mazeka - the origins of Mazeka and his fight against Vultrax

I know it's a lot, but that's how I would look at Bionicle being turned into a cinematic universe franchise if its first cinematic movie would exist and become successful.:) Sorry that I said a lot of stuff, but I would like to see Bionicle as an existing cinematic movie and then cinematic universe franchise.

The way I'd play it would be with the 01-03 story as a film trilogy, followed by the Metru Nui prequel saga as a TV show-The format of LOMN and WOS resulted in cutting out a lot of the story, and often failed to make it clear what was going on, so I feel like only a full series could really do justice to that story/setting.  The other nice thing is that you don't strictly speaking need all of that information to enjoy the next arc, so casual fans who only liked the movies would still be able to understand it. Ignition arc could be either, but my money would be on another film trilogy, perhaps supplemented with webisodes or a miniseries that elaborated on certain aspects of the story.

After that, things could really get interesting. We could have one animated TV series about the lives of Bara Magnans prior to Mata Nui's arrival, and a second, related but separate, series showing what was happening back in the Matoran Universe. The former would be designed for only one season and be followed directly by the next feature film- the first of the Melding arc/better version of TLR, while the MU series would continue until the MU arrived on Bara Magna.

So, we could be looking at Star Wars-esque multimedia world-building. I like the idea of having multiple animated series that fit into the same continuity, since it allows for experimentation with different styles and genres, while keeping the movies more realistic-looking and uniform in style.

• Upvote 1

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

No, Bionicle will never get a cinematic film - because the mass public will not accept what most Bionicle fans actually want, which is robots that actually look robotic and exist in a completely separate reality from humans. Keep in mind, Hollywood is the industry where Transformers had to be pitched as the story of "a boy and his car" in order to be greenlit, and curiously enough, the mass public doesn't seem to mind one bit that the Autobots and Decepticons spend most of their time on screen as real life vehicle props or as blurred cgi messes fighting in the background of the human focused shots (which is to say, almost every shot in the films).

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

No, Bionicle will never get a cinematic film - because the mass public will not accept what most Bionicle fans actually want, which is robots that actually look robotic and exist in a completely separate reality from humans. Keep in mind, Hollywood is the industry where Transformers had to be pitched as the story of "a boy and his car" in order to be greenlit, and curiously enough, the mass public doesn't seem to mind one bit that the Autobots and Decepticons spend most of their time on screen as real life vehicle props or as blurred cgi messes fighting in the background of the human focused shots (which is to say, almost every shot in the films).

TRANSFORM AND SELL OUT

but yeah i don't quite see Bionicle as "ready" for the big screen, it's not as big w/ toy collectors as transformers is (yet), and though it has solid roots for a story, i feel it would become... unrecognizable, in the hands of the film industry.

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

Do I think Bionicle will get a theatrical film? It depends on the success and popularity of G2; however, if Bionicle does get a theatrical release, make it animated by GHOST please.

BEHOLD.....THE DREAM TEAM! COMING SOON.... :o

~ Oh hi thar, here are some quotes: ~

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all" -Toa Mata Tahu, MNOG

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villans and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people he's never met before and who don't know his name can live."

-Toa Hahli, Downfall