Modification Question

Dark_Stranger

I'm considering a project that requires some sculpting, but I did a quick Google search and couldn't really find anything that detailed the sort of thing I wanted, so I figured I'd ask around...

The gist of it would basically come down to modifying a headpiece (probably Luke Skywalker's, since his is the closest to what I want) by sculpting a hood onto it. I'll probably have to paint it afterwards, unless whatever sculpting material I use is already the right color (something close to Earth Green, for the record). Just to make it a bit more complicated, this would probably be a Christmas present for my youngest brother--and while he's old enough to understand the concept of "be careful with it," the piece will still probably see a lot of play. It needs to be pretty darn sturdy, is basically what I'm saying.

Since I've never done anything remotely like this before, I want all the information I can get before I actually start work on the thing. Any advice would be much appreciated!

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png

I know there are folks on here who've made custom hair, heads, and whatnot with Sculpey, but I think that may require baking for it to set. What all do you have in place/figured out already?

Hand-drawn, bespoke avatar by none other than Mushy the Mushroom.

a body adrift in water, salt, and sky

If all you need is a hood, why not just try making one out of fabric? That way you wouldn't even need to modify the piece's shape, and you would be much more free to experiment until you get the exact look you want.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Well, I've figured out all of the traditional parts I'll need, and I've heard from one or two sources (which were a bit vague on other specifics) that Green Stuff is good for Lego sculpting. I guess what I'm looking for is insight from people who have used it--or something similar--before. What paints and glues work best with it, how sturdy the finished product is...that sort of thing.

As for just making a fabric hood, I had considered it, but I'd have to do some sculpting anyway because the headpiece's hair still wouldn't be right, so I decided to just sculpt the hood and be done. That and I'm not at all sure how to make a fabric hood...

bionicle_2017_banner_3c.png