Wasteland Discussion

Eyru

Okay, I'm a little confused right now.

My character was just having a conversation with another character regarding their concerns that there aren't enough resources to support the influx of new arrivals. But the very next character mine spoke to is saying that it's a non-issue because people are dying as quickly as they're arriving.

Could we perhaps get some kind of GM input on this, because I'm not sure what to make of the situation right now.

Embers - a new Bionicle Epic - Coming 2024 

Class Is Out - A Farewell To Corpus Rahkshi - Chapters/Review

BZPRPG Characters - Minnorak, Kain, T'harrak, Savis, Vazaria, Lash

BZPRPG Mercenary Group - The Outsiders - Description - History - Base

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Okay, I'm a little confused right now.

My character was just having a conversation with another character regarding their concerns that there aren't enough resources to support the influx of new arrivals. But the very next character mine spoke to is saying that it's a non-issue because people are dying as quickly as they're arriving.

Could we perhaps get some kind of GM input on this, because I'm not sure what to make of the situation right now.

Sorry if it's confusing. I'll try to explain.

Dessimus is trying to prove that they won't need to worry about overpopulation based on the death rate, but that's only from what Dessimus assumes his experience points towards. At the most, the only deaths he could actually account for on his word wouldn't be more than three, and being the pessimist that he is, he's making the worst of the situation in an attempt to lighten it.

The amount of Matoran in Canus has not changed significantly prior to the events of this game. Perhaps one or two Matoran have wandered too far into the Wastes and disappeared in a sandstorm; perhaps another few have decided to journey east or north in the hope of finding something more than sand.

Overall, however, the death count is not high. Most Matoran are too cautious to venture deep into the Wastes, as Maru's discussion with Nua and internal monologue have suggested. They scavenge at the edges, which is why they don't bring back much, but it's also why they keep coming back. It's a matter of risk vs. reward, and if any PCs want to return alive from the Wastes, it's something they'll want to keep in mind.

Dessimus may have seen a death in his time, but three seems excessive for the amount of time any new Matoran have been in Canus. I would chalk it up to his pessimism, and perhaps his tendency to put a little too much stock in the tales the older Matoran spin while the moon is high.

• Upvote 1

Alright, thanks for clearing that up. 

Ghosts Of Bara Magna - Ash Tribe - Precipere - Kehla, Somok, Skrall, Gayle, Avinus, Zha'ar

Okay, cool, just clearing that up.

NAME:Hanari

SPECIES:Female Av-Matoran

MASK:Powerless Rau.

EQUIPMENT:Some form of one-and-a-half handed longsword. Anything that once covered the handle is gone, and the dulled blade has seen better days, but it is still a usable weapon. Hanari also has a satchel she keeps things in.

APPEARANCE:Slender, but muscular. Can't always seem to decide what color to make her armor, meaning that it reacts to light like pyrite does by default; shimmering in a strange way between silver and burnt gold. Most of her armor is on her chest and lower arms, with some on her shoulders and the front of her shins. Her body is jet black, with her armor changing color sometimes. Her eyes are a strong green.

PERSONALITY:Hanari means well and is willing to work to survive. Seems to have some degree of short-term memory loss; while things she's learnt are remembered, she frequently forgets things that have occurred within the last hour. Hanari doesn't like angering people and will generally hide her opinions and sometimes just stays quiet to avoid doing so. Flickers in and out of a strong Russian accent.

WEAKNESSES:Very forgetful. Lacking a left arm.

Edited by SnowyAegis

aBlR6jE.png

My profiles

Read my Epic:Tales of Aoris Nui!

Profile pic by Soulemn on DA!

I also have a custom species approved for the BZPRPG! Click here to read about them!

Hanari is approved!

As a general note: night is approaching in-game, but I won't always control the day-night cycle. This is for the sake of moving everyone along, giving characters a chance to learn about the wasteland and eventually get out and start doing stuff. Once the morning comes, everyone will, more or less, be free to decide what time it is for their characters.

Name: Dastad

Species: Fa-Matoran

Mask: Custom Powerless Rau

Skills: Bartering, hoarding, and swindling other Matoran out of their finds. Sells some of his excess water in exchange for a selective 20% of whatever the buyer ends up discovering out in the wastes. Known for possessing scrap that others might find useful... if they have something to trade for it in return, that is.

Equipment: A makeshift metal walking stick that supposedly doubles as a Divining Rod; claims it helps him find things worth scavenging for, but its usefulness in that particular department is currently still up for debate.

Appearance: Gunmetal and black.

Personality: Cold, calculating, and full of snark. Mostly views the other villagers as pawns for his amusement, though he does tread carefully in order to avoid outliving his usefullness. Wouldn't hesitate to throw someone else under the bus if it meant saving his own hide, and becomes quite vengeful to those he perceives are trying to screw him over.

Weaknesses: Not the friendliest or most liked person in Canus. Has a habit of letting his temper cloud his judgement.

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm a bit more experienced at RP now and feel like i can manage the expected one (1) character alongside my everything else, plus this world looks fun!

Name: Rihka "The Rotten"
Race: Fe-Matoran (iron)
Mask: Great Komau (powerless and worn)
Abilities/Skills: Good at being cryptic, scaring people away, and being stealthy when she wants to.
Weapons/Equipment: A tattered cloak, a thin belt with three small, empty pouches, a rusted iron sickle that could likely shatter in the next solid swing.
Appearance: Ragged and worn, her limbs are thin and bony, her body is set in a hunch that makes her seem older than she is, and the armor on her right shoulder is torn and wounded, here, several carrion flies go unchecked, at a glance they seem to spawn around her as they emerge from her tattered cloak.
Personality: Rihka is unusually chipper for a wastelander, it could be her youth, or it could be her madness, once the insects were attracted to her untreated wound, she spent more time with these scavengers than with other matoran out in the dunes, when she finally arrived at Canus, she was already full blown lunatic for them, and claims her decayed state is a step to an awakening, and that she is not yet "completed", she prefers to be left alone, but is perfectly approachable whilst she attempts to rally others to her cause.
Weaknesses: Rihka is extremely fragile, in body and mind, she has a blind eye, and one good wind would break every bone in her body, she's also fairly easily manipulated, if you know what to say...

(note, this is as far as i'll go in describing "the wound" but if i gotta tone it down further i understand.)

bnnrimg1.pngbnnrimg2.pngbnnrimg3.pngbnnrimg4.pngbnnrimg5.pngbnnrimg8.png

I'm tempted to make a chart indicating character relations and length of time spent in Canus. Something fun and informational for new players. Any interest?

It would take a lot of work, but it seems like a good idea. If it gets approved I'd be glad to help.

Name: Keristary

Race: Av-Matoran

Mask: noble Ruru

Abilities/Skills: can change armour colour instinctively.

Weapons/Equipment: a small knife, which is composed of a scrap of metal attached to a piece of wood wrapped in cloth.

Appearance: she tends to keep her armour almost completely black, making her almost invisible at night. However, she sometimes loses control of her powers when angered or shocked, causing her to temporarily change colour. She is tall and thin, but not to the extent that she looks weak.

Personality: Keristary likes to be on top of things, making an effort to gain information she can later share in exchange for materials or water; she believes that this skill comes from her career prior to her awakening (though she has no memory of this). However, the lack of useful information in Canus somewhat hinders the usefulness of this ability. Though she tries not to show it, she easily becomes envious of those who know more than her, since unveiling secrets is what she's best at, and will get unnecessarily angry when things don't go her way.

Weaknesses: she is not a skilled scavenger, preferring to trade information for water. Unfortunately, she rarely knows something of value and often becomes angered and reckless because of this. The fact that she'll subconsciously change her armour colour when angry only makes matters worse.

kIxt3.gif 0xeKp.gif  OFIDc.gif  RbAEL.gif

http://dragcave.net/user/Virid

Wasteland RPG Characters:

Zavarix | Keristary

Hm.  This looks like it could be interesting.

Name: Kuur
Race: De-Matoran
Mask: Noble Matatu (powerless)
Abilities/Skills: Writing, drawing, fishing (whoops), climbing, good with a couple instruments
Weapons/Equipment: Nothing, apparently.
Appearance: Height is on the shorter end of average, with a very weak build- he doesn't take good care of himself.  Colored silver and medium bley, with a powerless Noble Matatu for a mask and a ragged cloak for clothing.
Personality: Very very lost and frightened.  Doesn't deal well with people, partially because he hates loud noises, partially because he's a bit scared of stress and social interaction.  Likes to hide away and crouch in dark corners or doodle things.  Prone to muttering or mouthing nonsense words or covering his ears.  Dimly remembers an enjoyment of fishing, and misses it.  If you manage to get him to open up, he's likely to use you as an impromptu pillar of emotional support or something.
Weaknesses: Really really really hates loud noises.  Also, doesn't deal well with stress.  Probably too trusting when it comes to people who actually manage to make friends with him.

• Upvote 1

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Oh my lord, MINA WILL SAVE YOU, KUUR, YOU POOR DEAR.

...ni shuo shen me?

Edited by Endless Sea (Alaki Nuva)

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

Sorry for not indicating it in my previous post, but Keristary is actually my second character (the first being Zavarix) so I've been added to the list of players twice.

That's what I get for trying to do things at midnight. :P Fixed!

Keristary and Kuur are approved. Welcome aboard!

...ni shuo shen me?

Your character is approved...?

Oh my lord, MINA WILL SAVE YOU, KUUR, YOU POOR DEAR.

...ni shuo shen me?

I'm just being a goof, haha. I saw that Kuur's profile says that he's lost and frightened, and Mina, being the motherly type, would certainly feel bad for the poor guy and want to help him out.

Hero Factory RPG 2.0 PCs:
| Erik Jet | Daren Wolfe | Henry Flint | Helen Corona | Ethan RezDr. Xaal |

Wasteland RPG PCs:
|
Mina |

I wasn't being entirely serious either, really, or else I wouldn't have started typing in Chinese. :P

• Upvote 1

...right, I hate to cause a ruckus so soon after joining up, but what's going on with Dessimus?  Apparently he's suddenly talking to Kuur out of nowhere now?  And he has De-Matoran-level hearing?  What?

I am confused. >_>

...right, I hate to cause a ruckus so soon after joining up, but what's going on with Dessimus?  Apparently he's suddenly talking to Kuur out of nowhere now?  And he has De-Matoran-level hearing?  What?

I am confused. >_>

He began interaction with Kuur on post #1074556. His hearing would be tuned to listen to specific sounds after living in Canus for a few weeks.

Yeah, Kuur only just barely heard the thing and he has absurdly hypersensitive hearing compared to other Matoran as a racial trait.  It's not a matter of pattern recognition.

Also, post #1074556?  What?  The post count currently maxes out at 343.

I don't think Dessimus hearing the worm is all that dubious, really. Canus is in the middle of the Wastes, and all the different characters who've already heard the creature are (presumably) not all standing together in the one place, and are instead scattered across the desert. 

So if people who are (possibly) on the complete opposite side of the Wastes to each other can hear the monster, then those up on the plateau and within Canus itself would probably be able to hear it without too much difficulty. 

Edited by The Old Master
  • Upvote 1

*grumbles something about editing posts and how hearing the thing clearly would make things less dramatic but whatevs*

(why am I doing the melodrama thing again)

I don't think Dessimus hearing the worm is all that dubious, really. Canus is in the middle of the Wastes, and all the different characters who've already heard the creature are (presumably) not all standing together in the one place, and are instead scattered across the desrt. 

So if people who are (possibly) on the complete opposite side of the Wastes to each other can hear the monster, then those up on the plateau and within Canus itself would probably be able to hear it without too much difficulty. 

It's huge, and IIRC Eyru's post made it seem like its screech was pretty darn loud. The whole point of the event is that it's...an event. Someone hearing the worm when they aren't super close to it shouldn't be a problem.

​It seems the problem isn't Ghidora's character, just people misunderstanding the IC situation.

EDIT: and wanting to make their posts more dramatic but I can't write a post that fast >:c

Edited by Tarn of the DJD

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

Well, that, and Ghidora's character apparently having been in a conversation with mine that I'm quite certain was not actually happening before.

Yeah, Kuur only just barely heard the thing and he has absurdly hypersensitive hearing compared to other Matoran as a racial trait.  It's not a matter of pattern recognition.

Also, post #1074556?  What?  The post count currently maxes out at 343.

They're numbered differently when they turn up as a search result. Post #1074556 is actually Post #316 in the Wasteland IC Topic.

Edited by Timageness

Epics: 

Hero Factory: Contagion

RPG Characters:

BZPRPG Characters

RPG History:

The Asylum, Bionifight Infinite, Year 60,000, Matoran und Panzer, HF RPG 2.0, Wasteland, Corpus Rahkshi, Skyrise

GM Résumé:

Matoran und Panzer (Formerly Appointed Co-GM), Corpus Rahkshi (Former Substitute Co-GM)

Feel free to shoot a PM my way if you're waiting for me to respond to something and I've been taking a while to do so.

For the purpose of keeping the game fun and exciting for all characters, not just those who happen to be in a specific area of the Wastes at a certain time, I'm going to say the worm's screech can be heard in Canus by any type of Matoran.

Now that is one giant worm. Loud enough to be heard all over Canus, from almost anywhere, and of a species that is usually mute?

I'll be writing up the gravestones for the fool-hearty players running towards that thing.

loud things don't have to be necessarily proportionally large though?

It would make the most sense, though. I know this is Bionicle, but if something's ringing so loud it can be heard all over something the size of a small town and beyond, and is only the size of a truck, I think that's stretching it a bit too far.

Unless it has sonic powers, which is what I've kind of been suspecting.