Mata Nui as a Makuta

I mean, obviously not, but this was a fun idea that popped into my mind.

So in early G1, Mata Nui and Makuta were always referred to as brothers, right? What if Teridax's idea to take control of the Great Spirit Robot wasn't original, because someone else did it before?

Say Mata Nui was a minor Makuta who, possibly by accident, found a way to take control of the GSR. The Great Beings didn't anticipate any of their creations to have such ambitions, so there weren't any (or many) obstacles in place. Seeing as the first "identity" or "soul" of the GSR never had any other body beforehand, when Mata Nui cast it out and took its place, it became an amorphous mass of living tissue barely capable of containing its mind. Meaning Tren Krom.

If Tren Krom was the "first" great spirit, it would further explain why he ended up helping - "helping" - against Teridax. He didn't care who was occupying the GSR, but as long as it wasn't him, he hated them.

As for Teridax, he found out about Mata Nui's success in taking control of the GSR and became jealous. Why should some minor Makuta turn into the most powerful being in the MU? However, Mata Nui suspected others would want his place, so he put some safety measures in place, making things much harder for Teridax.

Of course this doesn't mean Mata Nui was evil. We know some Makuta were benevolent. Maybe life in the MU was much more "optimized" during Tren Krom's reign, during which the Matoran really only served an immediate purpose like computer programs, however once Mata Nui took over they were allowed to "live their lives" and such. 

Naturally, much of this conflicts with established canon, but it would more or less fit without changing much of the story.

:kakama:

• Upvote 3

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

It's an interesting idea, and I can't see any issues with it other than why the Brotherhood didn't attempt to overthrow Mata Nui sooner? In the original canon, it was the Barrakis' attempt which made Teridax realise that it was possible, while surely Teridax would have considered it as soon as Mata Nui took control.

The way you imagine the difference between Tren Krom's and Mata Nui's reigns is interesting as well. It feels as if it ties into Velika's awakening of the matoran.

• 3 weeks later...

You could take it as the other Makuta didn't find out about it until the Barraki rebelled/Mutran visited Tren Kron and figured out how he ended up that way. Perhaps The name Mata Nui originally could have belonged to Tren Krom and was taken by the hypothetical "Makuta Mata Nui" leaving no one the wiser.

Additionally, you could have the Makuta thinking that Tren Krom's ejection was a one time thing that couldn't be replicated, or that they thought Mata Nui would do more for them as Great Spirit but eventually realized it wasn't going to happen.

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

• 4 weeks later...