BBCC 73 - DH Crusher

Click

Many Dark Hunters had questioned the Shadowed One's decision to allow the pathetic and skittish Pahuron into their ranks (of course, none dared question aloud). However, it wasn't long after "Misfit's" encounter with "Toa" Irohka that they realized his true purpose. The Dark Hunters had been working on a power-amplifying suit, and the damaged Toa Mech gave them the last pieces they needed. The only thing remaining was to find a willing pilot.

27536410180_ec86d015c7_n.jpg

^Link to Flickr Gallery^

Now wielding enormous strength and a blue fire blade and with a suit insulated against a variety of elemental attacks, the renamed Dark Hunter Crusher has few that stand in his way.

It's been a while since I uploaded anything here, but here's my entry for BBC 73: Brickin' it Old School. I revamped an old tablescrap of mine that I always liked while channeling a bit of Chro, the Boxor, and even good old "Toa" Irohka. Hope you enjoy, and don't forget to vote! :)

• Upvote 10

A lot of neat design choices here and a surprisingly solid look.  I like it.

It is not for us to decide the fate of angels.

Dominus Temporis, if you're out there, hit me up through one of my contacts.  I've been hoping to get back in touch for a long time now.  (Don't worry, I'm not gonna beg you to bring back MLWTB or something.  :P )

I'm sorry, which year were you going for with this? Because while it is a brilliant and quite exceptional MOC, it doesn't really look G1 at all.

In what regard does it not strike you as having a G1 aesthetic?  cause with the liftams, pistons, tubes, and tiny technic bits, it sure fits the bill in my eyes

I'm sorry, which year were you going for with this? Because while it is a brilliant and quite exceptional MOC, it doesn't really look G1 at all.

In what regard does it not strike you as having a G1 aesthetic?  cause with the liftarms, pistons, tubes, and tiny technic bits, it sure fits the bill in my eyes

Each year had a specific style. It's not so much gears and levers, but more what made the Phantoka the Phantoka, or why were the Mahri unique to their style, etc., etc. Liftarms, pistons, tubes, and tiny Technic bits also can qualify a MOC as Steampunk, so I'd like to know what style he was aiming for here.

Looks like it takes a little bit of everything, honestly. The technic heavy design reminds me of 01, the tubes from 07, the titan hands from 06, not to mention all the original stuff like those tank tread bracers!

Maybe it doesn't capture G1 to you, but it's strange proportions and powerful build speak volumes to me.

I'm glad you guys like him. :)

For the most part, I was going for a classic '01, '02 vibe. I took a lot of design and color cues from the '01 Rahi (Nui Jaga colors, Muaka tube and technical details) and the Boxor (proportions mostly, though how could you not with that mask?). Of course, there are a few bits I borrowed from later years or filled in with my own ideas, but that's what making a MOC is all about. To me, this was G1: a plethora of pistons, tubing, and ridges (not to mention Inika proportions :P) combining to make unique characters.

Though I have to ask why a particular year is so important to you when your own MOC only borrows the legs from G1 and the rest looks HF.

• Upvote 1

I like him a lot. As you mentioned above, he really does mix all the different Gen1 styles together, which makes it a nice representation of the whole series. However, I can't help but feel he doesn't match the story you gave him. He doesn't look much like a Dark Hunter to me. I get that he's supposed to be a weakling in a suit, but I can't help but feel he looks more like a construction bot or something. But that doesn't really take away from the MOC, and I think you have a good chance in the contest. :)

I dunno. I kind of fall into the same category as Ghidora on this one. It looks good, however something about it just doesn't capture G1 to me. Again, it looks good, but I guess it's the detailing that makes it not work for me. It seems too bulky and too mechanical. That is of course if this is meant to be a robotic suit, in which case I think it aces that, in that regard. It's a great MOC, but something about it doesn't stick well with me. You did a great job, I am just unsure about it as of right now.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

I really love this.

Contrary to what other people are saying, I think it feels very G1—gives me a 2002 vibe. Conceptually it's similar to the Exo-Toa and Boxor, and the dark grey with yellow industrial patterning reminds me of the kind of technology you'd find in an Onu-Koro mine. The classic Pakari also makes it feel very old-school.

I enjoy how understated the color scheme is. You'd expect that much grey to make it look bland, but the light blue is well-distributed and makes it look very airy and appealing. You've also succeeded at creating a strong shape language, which pulls the whole look together in spite of all the busy complexity... Feels very utilitarian and industrial, as it should. The Slizer limbs in the torso are also a really neat touch and add depth to the torso while creating a very distinct silhouette. 

Nice job, makes me want to make a moc again for the first time in eight years.