Does Bionicle's appearance in the Lego Movie anger you?

Lenny7092

Hi, guys!:) When you watched a movie in 2014 called The Lego Movie, do you remember seeing a Bionicle picture of the Toa Mata from G1 for a split second? I like that Bionicle is featured in the movie. When I read Bionicle's Wikipedia page about it, it says that this scene "angered Bionicle fans". See the link for yourself (Go to the In Popular Culture section): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bionicle

So, I have this question based on your opinion: How do you feel about the cameo? Did it anger you?

• Upvote 1

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

What. I'm so...whaaa?

​Why would someone be angry? Wikipedia is weird, man.

​EDIT: Am I viewing dual realities right now or was this topic posted twice? There's a version of it with my reply, and another with a reply from Terrorsaur, but not both at the same time.

Edited by Tarn of the DJD
  • Upvote 2

galijump.gif.f3271eeb2e5fad0ab8397c83797b5bba.gif
[BZPRPG]
(shout out to max)

I was not angered by it myself. I think whoever wrote that may have screwed up their wording. Perhaps meaning to say "some non-BIONICLE Fans were angered by this" and honestly that would be a bit of an understatement, because there have been quite a few salty LEGO fans out there who in the past have voiced such opinions. Yet, I am sure most of those fans didn't care then, and don't care now. Seeing as it's actually back. Besides, most of the folk who actually have voiced such hatred of BIONICLE are long gone, moved onto other things. I am sure a very few do still show that hatred now however.

Even still, the idea that BIONICLE Fans were angered by it is just ludicrous. Perhaps I could see fans being angered by it because it's reminding them that LEGO cancelled it, or that they said it was something that they didn't need to mention. However, I personally see them as saying no need to mention as meaning for sake of the plot of the film, that universe did not matter in terms of well, story. Like all those other themes mentioned that they didn't need to, but did anyway. If not through talk then through imagery, yet even still. That being said I personally hope that BIONICLE has a place in the story of the second film.

But again, I was not angered by it. If anything it reasured me that LEGO did care, and didn't just toss it in there to rub in the fact that they cancelled it. Seeing as that a couple months later BIONICLE's return would be leaked (leaked by TTV that is). And now that it's back, such an off handed mentioning of it now of the idea of it angering BIONICLE fans is just pointless and confusing.

What. I'm so...whaaa?

​EDIT: Am I viewing dual realities right now or was this topic posted twice? There's a version of it with my reply, and another with a reply from Terrorsaur, but not both at the same time.

And Tarn it would seem that you are not going crazy, as that it seems the site my have bogged out for a moment, as there are actually two topics posted within six minutes of eachother. Perhaps within that time frame the site glitched out.

4mZTU6q.jpg

Edited by Toa Imrukii

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

The decision to temporarily add Bionicle didn't anger me at all. In fact, I was glad. Despite being the juggernaught it was, I didn't see Bionicle get any mention towards the public after the golden years. It was good to see them acknowledge the theme, regardless if it was for a millisecond. Who knows? Bionicle might play a bigger role in the second movie.

Edited by Takama Metru
  • Upvote 2

BEHOLD.....THE DREAM TEAM! COMING SOON.... :o

~ Oh hi thar, here are some quotes: ~

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all" -Toa Mata Tahu, MNOG

"Sometimes a hero has to do something else besides beat the villans and come home covered in glory. Sometimes, he has to make a sacrifice so that a lot of people he's never met before and who don't know his name can live."

-Toa Hahli, Downfall

Some people certainly got angry about it because they saw it as an insult to Bionicle for Wyldstyle to say it was a world they "don't need to mention". However, I think that's a rather silly way of interpreting it, considering that the other themes they "didn't need to mention" include LEGO Friends and LEGO Ninjago, some of the LEGO Group's biggest success stories of the past decade. If this scene were meant as an insult or put-down don't you think LEGO would've taken issue with it referencing some of their all-time biggest hits instead of failed themes like Galidor or Jack Stone?

Others were angry about the brevity of the reference rather than its context. But honestly, I think it's an honor that Bionicle was alluded to in a movie that genuinely didn't have time to delve into the lore of any individual LEGO theme, and certainly not a discontinued one. As Wyldstyle said, they didn't need to mention it — but they included it anyway, in the same context as more recent success stories.

Sure, it also would've been great if an actual Bionicle character had gotten a cameo, but I can understand why the creators might've wanted to focus on themes that would not be distracting or confusing for general audiences. With the world now firmly established, the sequel might offer a better opportunity for a more substantial cameo.

Remember also that during G1, Bionicle's creators were generally pretty keen on avoiding direct crossovers between Bionicle and other LEGO themes. So having Bionicle appear as a mere reference rather than having Bionicle characters interacting directly with other LEGO characters could be seen as a way of respecting its creators' wishes.

Bionicle was an important theme. There's no denying that. In LEGO CEO Jorgen Vig Knudstorp's own words, "Bionicle is the theme that saved LEGO" — and he wasn't even involved in the theme's creation or rise to power, having only joined the company in 2004, so he's not just being self-congratulatory with that statement. So anybody who thinks LEGO looks down on Bionicle, just because it doesn't get the special treatment they expect, is profoundly mistaken.

• Upvote 12

I was not angered by it myself. I think whoever wrote that may have screwed up their wording. Perhaps meaning to say "some non-BIONICLE Fans were angered by this" and honestly that would be a bit of an understatement, because there have been quite a few salty LEGO fans out there who in the past have voiced such opinions. Yet, I am sure most of those fans didn't care then, and don't care now. Seeing as it's actually back. Besides, most of the folk who actually have voiced such hatred of BIONICLE are long gone, moved onto other things. I am sure a very few do still show that hatred now however.

Even still, the idea that BIONICLE Fans were angered by it is just ludicrous. Perhaps I could see fans being angered by it because it's reminding them that LEGO cancelled it, or that they said it was something that they didn't need to mention. However, I personally see them as saying no need to mention as meaning for sake of the plot of the film, that universe did not matter in terms of well, story. Like all those other themes mentioned that they didn't need to, but did anyway. If not through talk then through imagery, yet even still. That being said I personally hope that BIONICLE has a place in the story of the second film.

But again, I was not angered by it. If anything it reasured me that LEGO did care, and didn't just toss it in there to rub in the fact that they cancelled it. Seeing as that a couple months later BIONICLE's return would be leaked (leaked by TTV that is). And now that it's back, such an off handed mentioning of it now of the idea of it angering BIONICLE fans is just pointless and confusing.

What. I'm so...whaaa?

And Tarn it would seem that you are not going crazy, as that it seems the site my have bogged out for a moment, as there are actually two topics posted within six minutes of eachother. Perhaps within that time frame the site glitched out.

4mZTU6q.jpg

Um, that was a glitch in my computer that there are two copies of my topic. Sorry. Didn't mean to do that.:( Can someone help me with the two-topic problem?

Anyway, I could see that Lego was making a funny thing about Bionicle's cancellation in the movie, even though that it doesn't have to do the movie's main plot. However, I think Lego did that because it is one of the most famous lines that it ever had and it saved the company from bankruptcy in 2001, so Lego respected that way by putting the picture into the Lego movie. Hopefully we would see more screen time for Bionicle in the sequel for the sake of its popular.

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

I think I can go ahead and report this topic, seeing as that the other one has more replies. Those of us who have posted here however will just have to copy paste over to there.

I won't do this however until everyone's replies have been copied over there by their respective poster.

Or, I could just have the former topic be reported for deletion.

Edited by Toa Imrukii

pure_muscle.png

I think I can go ahead and report this topic, seeing as that the other one has more replies. Those of us who have posted here however will just have to copy paste over to there.

I won't do this however until everyone's replies have been copied over there by their respective poster.

Or, I could just have the former topic be reported for deletion.

Do the former. This one already has more lengthy replies.

On that matter, I don't see why in the world I should be mad. Bionicle, before it was announced for a return, got some love in the LEGO movie because LEGO knew fans would eat it up. On the report of the fanbase being mad, it would most likely be an anger for still not having a new Bionicle, if the rage reports are true at all.

It was a just a fun quip/way to include something from Lego. People get butt-hurt over anything, but I'm happy it got in. I don't mind movies making nods to Bionicle

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Yeah I thought it was a funny moment. Made me laugh out loud when I saw it the first time. We can't forget that other themes like Fabuland (a cult classic among older FOL's) was also in the same scene. If anything it was great Warner Brothers threw out a reference in the film to famous Lego themes they couldn't incorporate any other way into the film.

And honestly that's probably the only way Bionicle was getting into the film. Most Toa sets tower over a minifigure, and are probably higher than the films biggest character, Metal Beard. Just in the sense of scaling, I doubt Bionicle couldn't be in the film unless they had a way to address their giant size.

Besides the mention of Bionicle and Fabuland might be a hint at "The Man Upstairs" previous interests. All the characters in the film are part of his Lego collection or his sons; so the mention of Fabuland plus the inclusion of Benny a classic spaceman; hint the character is a Gen-Xer AFOL. But the inclusion of Bionicle is interesting, perhaps he was one of the rare adults that Bionicle brought him out of his dark age? It's not a common story, but it's happened in real life. Jangbricks on YouTube was brought out of his Dark Age with Bionicle, and now he has a giant city layout to rival even the city in the Lego Movie...

Edited by Xboxtravis

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

There's no citation, and in the same sentence they write LEGO without capitalization.

So I wouldn't put much weight into that statement.

I was absolutely thrilled when I saw it, personally. We didn't know about G2 back then, so it was the most we had seen of Bionicle in a while.

• Upvote 1
rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

Personally, I was thrilled that BIONICLE got such an appearance in the movie. That was really all I needed; one BIONICLE reference, but instead, we got a cameo. How can I not be grateful?

Some people certainly got angry about it because they saw it as an insult to Bionicle for Wyldstyle to say it was a world they "don't need to mention". However, I think that's a rather silly way of interpreting it, considering that the other themes they "didn't need to mention" include LEGO Friends and LEGO Ninjago, some of the LEGO Group's biggest success stories of the past decade. If this scene were meant as an insult or put-down don't you think LEGO would've taken issue with it referencing some of their all-time biggest hits instead of failed themes like Galidor or Jack Stone?

To be honest, I thought it was an insult at first, but I shrugged it off and didn't think about it until reading your post. So, you bring up Friends and Ninjago in a positive light, stating that they were some of the worlds that didn't even need mention. You also state that BIONICLE, Friends, and Ninjago are success stories. They're all very well-known themes. What if Wyldstyle said that these themes didn't need mention because everybody (the LEGO people) already knew them and thought of them in a more positive light?

mindeth the cobwebs

Y'know what I am mad about that they didn't add? Hero Factory. That film probably would have been the only source of reference for it to be searched up in the future, since I am sure most others would forget it, or that younger generations wouldn't know of it. Even though (as much as many others (including myself at times) may not want to admit it's exsistance) it as a theme was crucial in keeping the Constraction type of play alive after BIONICLE's eventual downfall.

Another theme they very well should have added in is Fabuland. That theme to my knowledge was extremely popular and was rebooted at least once, so why not? The reboot may have sucked, but come on LEGO! A little pointer back to the past for your long past fans of that theme, they are still around today! So why not?!

pure_muscle.png

Its amazing to me that anyone construed the cameo as a take-that to Bionicle. As Aanchir mentioned, there's no way that TLG themselves would have ever approved of any reference that could be construed as outright anti-Bionicle sentiment, much like the kind you still see expressed by certain crusty old AFOLs. Considering the theme's definitive role in saving the company from bankruptcy, it's impending return as a physical product less than a year after the Lego Movie came out, and TLG's significant oversight of all the Lego movie scripts... well, there really is no consideration to make at all, except that much of the Bionicle fanbase (like basically all fanbases) takes its toys way too seriously.

Edited by ~~Zarkan~~
  • Upvote 3

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

• 2 weeks later...

I was upset by it being classified as one of "those other ones that we don't talk about" until it was pointed out to me that it was a matter of movie rights...okay, I'm still a little upset by it.

Would like to see a How it Should Have Ended style video where all the Bionicle sets go to town on Lord Business and his Micromanagers though...

• Upvote 1

Voicing your opinions with tact is the best way to keep a discussion from becoming an argument.
So far as I'm aware, it's pronounced like this: We're ee ah moo.

Check out my Creations:

Epics

G1 Battle for Spherus Magna - G2 A Lingering Shadow

Short Stories

G1 Fallen Guardian - G2 Shadows of Past and Future (The Legend Continues Entry) Head of Stone, Heart of Jungle

MOCs

Mask Hoarder, Desert Scourge

Well guess what im actually happy for the cameo as this was before the Rumors of G2 and even if it was classified as "those other ones that we don't talk about" at least it appeared it showed that Lego still remembered us and i actually said in the middle of the movie "Hey that's Bionicle!" i was pleased with that as guess what Power Minners a popular Lego theme that actually has a following was never mentioned in the movie nor Hero Factory one of the CURRENT Lego themes of the time and i hate when people from Lego make references of Bionicle G1 in the movie and in the newer Graphic Novel and oh noes that's BAD there ruining G1.

Edited by Tahu3.0

tZa6I5y.jpg?1

Wait, people were actually triggered by this? Are you kidding me? It's a joke! At the time, considering that Bionicle had been cancelled for 4 years, I was happy just to see the Toa Mata on the big screen! Lego didn't insult Bionicle by giving it such a small role in the movie, it's called the LEGO movie for a reason. Call me crazy, but I never categorized Bionicles as Legos. For me it was always bricks=lego everything else=bionicle

Edited by Jaek_3
  • Upvote 4

I wasn't angered by it. In fact, I would've loved to have seen a bigger cameo from Bionicle in it, and I hope there is one in the sequel.

But for the Lego Movie itself, I'm happy with the cameo we got. :)

• Upvote 2

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Wait, people were actually triggered by this? Are you kidding me? It's a joke! At the time, considering that Bionicle had been cancelled for 4 years, I was happy just to see the Toa Mata on the big screen! Lego didn't insult Bionicle by giving it such a small role in the movie, it's called the LEGO movie for a reason. Call me crazy, but I never categorized Bionicles as Legos. For me it was always bricks=lego everything else=bionicle

I don't understand this logic at all. To say that Bionicle is not Lego is flat out silly, and frankly, a bit ignorant. 

I too think Bionicle could have been a bit more recognized than a single image. It didn't need a talking character, but a mask in the background or something slightly more substantial would have been appreciated. But I certainly was not angered by it. 

I don't understand this logic at all. To say that Bionicle is not Lego is flat out silly, and frankly, a bit ignorant. 

I too think Bionicle could have been a bit more recognized than a single image. It didn't need a talking character, but a mask in the background or something slightly more substantial would have been appreciated. But I certainly was not angered by it. 

Ignorant of what? Bionicle parts and Lego pieces may as well be from different brands, they're not at all compatable and totally different.

Ignorant of what? Bionicle parts and Lego pieces may as well be from different brands, they're not at all compatable and totally different.
All it takes is a 2x2 modified brick with a ball or socket to connect Bionicle pieces onto a Lego bricks. Look at how seamless the Marvel Hulkbuster set last year used CCBS shells for it's upper arms.Not only does it work, it looks great to!

The 2015 set, The Detective's Office, a high end modular building set also used several Hero Factory/Bionicle hands for part of the roof construction of all things!

Bionicle pieces are %100 compatible with Lego System. With the right pieces it can also be connected to Duplo, Technic, and even dare I say; Galidor pieces.

And using Bionicle pieces in normal Lego sets isn't a new thing. The 2005-2007 Bionicle system line used Bionicle pieces with normal bricks. Exo-Force used Tahu Mata's flame sword a few times.

Almost all Lego pieces are cross compatible. If you don't think they are, you need to go and experiment with them some more.

Edited by Xboxtravis
  • Upvote 2

52641688958_d61c0bc049_w(1).jpg.c0871df0de376218d7ca2bc4f409e17d.jpg

All aboard the hype train!

I'm was like Jake as a kid. I always separated out Bionicles and other Lego pieces in my mind.

Of course they can be criss-crossed if you're trying, but overall they're very different systems of building.

Normal Lego sets use lots of little pieces. Bionicles have always used several big pieces.

Edited by TheSkeletonMan939
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

The trouble with Bionicle is that it's so tonally different from other Lego themes, and given the silly, lighthearted nature of the film, it'd be hard to work the characters in in a way that 1) didn't feel forced or out of place, 2) fit with the humour of the film and 3) was accessible to people who weren't familiar with the storyline.

Bionicle's got plenty of humour of its own, but good luck coming up with something that non-fans will still enjoy.

That said, I still hold onto an irrational hope that Finn's younger sister gets into Bionicle when she's older (which she will be at the time of the sequel) and steals her dad's and brother's sets at every opportunity to create adventures of her own.

• Upvote 1

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

• 5 years later...
On 6/25/2016 at 3:39 AM, Sumiki said:

I'm not angry that they included Bionicle. I'm angry that they didn't include Galidor.

I'm more glad that they didn't mention Galidor that was a terrible line. But bionicle being treated like a black sheep or redheaded stepchild that "They don't need to mention" was a but insulting.

Dishonorable mentions
Znap....Lego Technic line made out of girders and modified technic shapes. looks like Knex
Jack Stone (really weird figure in those sets)

Old thread, but some of the comments here remind me of that guy from the Pokemon company who said something like, "If we made a game that had ALL the features the fans wanted we'd have to make a game with all the regions but only the Kanto Pokemon but all the legendaries and it'd be an unplayable trainwreck."

In conclusion, sometimes less is more and the Bionicle cameo was enough, in my opinion.

GENERATION 4: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.