The Beast Wars for Bionicle

This is a theoretical conversation on a missed potential way of doing G2.

To explain the title I must explain a little bit about Transformers Beast Wars. This series was a sequel to the original Transformers series, but  with the Nine year gap, they couldn't simply expect people to know the past of the series, so instead of doing a direct sequel, they set Beast Wars in the far future of Transformers, and while having it's own storyline, the new series was linked both by a slowly explored mythos and set of plot points. As such, it could grow to be it's own thing while still drawing on the original Transformers series.

My point is, could have Lego used this when they set up G2? I know that this is basically the priniciple that Nova Orbis works on, but should that have been the official reboot route? Do people think it would have been better or worse than G2 is now? How closely should the changes be to the world - should it be a couple of thousand years down the line when the main Toa are now Turaga or should it be far into the future the the Toa Nuva are being surrounded by myth and the cities of old are long lost ruins?

• Upvote 1

How about not being a continuation?

Beast Wars was definitely a way to rake in cash, but Transformers and Bionicle don't follow the same marketing and plot-line logic. Transformers is a series with constant reboots, lots of different alternate worlds, and not very much consistency aside from a few unchanging points. Bionicle is a one-world, one-story series that continuously follows its own logic and repeatedly throws reference to past occurrences.

Making a reboot in the far future would open up the obvious question "What happened in between?" and that will probably never be answered in the history of ever, based on LEGO's track record for explaining the plot of G2. Bionicle in the future is a terrible idea for the series as a whole, and much more so for the whole "coming back" thing.

• Upvote 1

I'd have loved a soft reboot, personally. I think it would've been super cool if the Toa Nuva (including Takanuva) were Turaga, and the new Toa (Toa Magna?) were...

The Chronicler's Company. 

96DIFYm.png

A big thank you to Toucan Sam for the Okotian name.

[topic=gallery_115994_378_11223.jpg][/topic]

:vahi: [ON HIATUS]  :vahi: 

To be honest, that's what I though we were going to get at first. Bionicle G1 shared a lot of similarities with Transformers G1, and pulling it off correctly would have been a great way to spawn support for the series. (Through both old fans and the new.) However, with the mask of time and the recent mention of portals in Bionicle G2... who knows? Maybe it could still happen?

• Upvote 1

shadow_destroyer_banner.jpg
Thank you to the Dark Beings Banner and Avatar Shop for the banner! Brickshelf Gallery  BZPRPG Profiles 

How about not being a continuation?

Beast Wars was definitely a way to rake in cash, but Transformers and Bionicle don't follow the same marketing and plot-line logic. Transformers is a series with constant reboots, lots of different alternate worlds, and not very much consistency aside from a few unchanging points. Bionicle is a one-world, one-story series that continuously follows its own logic and repeatedly throws reference to past occurrences.

Making a reboot in the far future would open up the obvious question "What happened in between?" and that will probably never be answered in the history of ever, based on LEGO's track record for explaining the plot of G2. Bionicle in the future is a terrible idea for the series as a whole, and much more so for the whole "coming back" thing.

Some good points but 2 counter points:

The first is that the reboots started after Beast Wars was made, so all details were based on a particular series and not on shared similarities of various iterations.

The second is that if there was a closer link to the previous series the history would probably have developed more as there is already material to work with unlike G2 which has to fill a void it doesn't need to fill to explain what is going on.

To be honest, that's what I though we were going to get at first. Bionicle G1 shared a lot of similarities with Transformers G1, and pulling it off correctly would have been a great way to spawn support for the series. (Through both old fans and the new.) However, with the mask of time and the recent mention of portals in Bionicle G2... who knows? Maybe it could still happen?

With Bionicle's history of significant plot twists towards the end of the story, I would not be surprised if they manage to do this.