Hordika Venom - How Does It Work?

So, as far as I recall, the Toa Hordika and some Rahi in Metru Nui are the only beings in the Bionicle lore we see who have been mutated by hordika venom - however the Visorak Hordes are told to have ravaged countless lands, and to be a force feared across all the islands. Surely, in all of their conquests, they infected other beings? Like, hundreds of them? How come no other Hordika infected beings are ever encountered?

Was the Hordika Venom attribute exclusive to those Visorak who were in Metru Nui, or do all of them have it? Do they not use it more often? Do they "decide" whether or not to use it? Does the king order them to use the venom, and otherwise they are forbidden to use it? Do beings infected with Hordika eventually succumb to the venom after a period of time as mutated savages?

Even if the real explanation is that there are plenty of other Hordika-infected beings out there, we just don't see them, I would have loved to see them appear more often as enemies.

Either way, where are all the Hordika victims?

:kakama:

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

Note this is not cannon just my idea.

I would believe the Toa Hordika's Toa energy would force them to stay alive so they came fulfill there Destiny.

As for other beings they probably die shortly after being infected. Most likely becoming Visorak dinner.

Hey I got a Flickr because I like making LEGO stuff.

https://www.flickr.com/people/toatimelord/

There was a dark hunter mutated by Hordika venom. We also learned that 'Kal' is a term for any creature mutated by a substance other than EP; Kraata-Kal, Bohrok-Kal. Technically speaking, the Hordika could have been referred to as Toa-Kal, and would have been had they not been cured before reverting fully.

• Upvote 3

:r: :e: :g: :i: :t: :n: :u: :i:

Elemental Rahi in Gen2, anyone? A write-up for an initial video for a G2 plot

I really wish everyone would stop trying to play join the dots with Gen 1 and Gen 2 though,it seems there's a couple new threads everyday and often they're duplicates of already existing conversations! Or simply parallel them with a slightly new 'twist'! Gen 2 is NEW, it is NOT Gen 1 and it is NOT a continuation. Outside of the characters we already have I personally don't want to see ANY old characters return. I think it will cheapen the whole experience to those of us familiar with the original line...

But Kraata-Kal and the Bohrok-Kal were both mutated by the same substance, as stated in BIONICLE: Dark Hunters. It makes sense for them to both be referred to as "Kal". "Hordika" is a better term for mutants affected by the venom, a substance distinct from whatever the Kal substance was. Let's not overcomplicate things.

• Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

You don't see lot of them because sentient beings who are infected become Rahi over a large period of time. So we don't see most of them because those who were infected beyond the point of recovery have become savage, and turned into Rahi.

Edited by Zidonaro
  • Upvote 1

You don't see lot of them because sentient beings who are infected become Rahi over a large period of time. So we don't see lot of them because those who were infected beyond the point of recovery have become savage. and turns into Rahi.

I like this explanation the most. It also explains why there are tons of Rahi who have no practical use in the maintenance of the GSR and are actually dangerous towards Matoran, who are supposed to maintain the GSR. 

Is that canon, or a theory, though? I'd love it to be canon.

• Upvote 1

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

You don't see lot of them because sentient beings who are infected become Rahi over a large period of time. So we don't see lot of them because those who were infected beyond the point of recovery have become savage. and turns into Rahi.

I like this explanation the most. It also explains why there are tons of Rahi who have no practical use in the maintenance of the GSR and are actually dangerous towards Matoran, who are supposed to maintain the GSR. 

Well we do know that the Kumu Islets on Mata Nui are home to many Rahi that were mutated by the Visorak.  As for what happened to the other islands, we really haven't seen that many places in the Matoran Universe, to be honest.  Sure, we get fleeting glimpses of the more populated areas in some of the later years of the storline, but never in the wilderness.  What I'd say is likely is that the Visorak-conquered lands probably had nothing of value left to give the characters of the main storyline a reason to visit them.  I also get the sense from Greg's writings that are a large number of unseen smaller islands than the ones you can see in BIONICLE World, and these could be other settings for the otherwise unseen Visorak conquest.

Also Keetongu dedicated his life to cure the Hordika venom before going to Metru Nui. I like to think he managed to save quite a few Rahi, considering he was always hot on the horde's trail.

Do you have a source for this? I think as far as we know, Keetongu's past consists of living in freedom on his home island before going to Metru Nui to live in a frozen ice cave long enough to be considered a legend.

Well we do know that the Kumu Islets on Mata Nui are home to many Rahi that were mutated by the Visorak.  As for what happened to the other islands, we really haven't seen that many places in the Matoran Universe, to be honest.  Sure, we get fleeting glimpses of the more populated areas in some of the later years of the storline, but never in the wilderness.  What I'd say is likely is that the Visorak-conquered lands probably had nothing of value left to give the characters of the main storyline a reason to visit them.  I also get the sense from Greg's writings that are a large number of unseen smaller islands than the ones you can see in BIONICLE World, and these could be other settings for the otherwise unseen Visorak conquest.

Also Keetongu dedicated his life to cure the Hordika venom before going to Metru Nui. I like to think he managed to save quite a few Rahi, considering he was always hot on the horde's trail.

Do you have a source for this? I think as far as we know, Keetongu's past consists of living in freedom on his home island before going to Metru Nui to live in a frozen ice cave long enough to be considered a legend.

Not directly no. But if he went directly to Metru Nui after his homeland was destroyed, why his legend says that he can cure Hordika venom? He must have done so at some point before hiding in a cave. He did went around trying to cure the victims after he left Metru Nui, though.

Not directly no. But if he went directly to Metru Nui after his homeland was destroyed, why his legend says that he can cure Hordika venom? He must have done so at some point before hiding in a cave. He did went around trying to cure the victims after he left Metru Nui, though.

Not necessarily. We know that Keetongu's species could cure Visorak mutations, which is why they were wiped out, so that might have been the basis of the legend as Keetongu was the sole survivor. What's not really clear is how the Rahaga or Sidorak and Roodaka knew about Keetongu. It's possible he made somewhat of a name for himself as a healer before hiding away in Metru Nui, but all in all it's just another one of those unanswered mysteries.

d00.png

Honestly, we never see much of the outside universe aside from the few locations where the story we followed takes place. For all we know, there could be tons of mutants running around out there. There's really no way of knowing since G1 left like half of everything unexplained.

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."