Bionicle Concludes Again

On the official LEGO Bionicle website, it has just been announced that Bionicle has been canceled again. From my interactions with the Bionicle team over the past few years I know they have been overwhelmed and appreciative of the support and response for Bionicle from the community. They know we are out here and want us to do our best to keep the torch lit as we once again go into a dark time for the theme. As fans, this is obviously a major disappointment, but we did our best to ensure Bionicle was remembered in the past and I know we will all keep it alive moving forward. This is only the end of the sets for now, not the end of Bionicle.

View the full article

Really?! This has to be a joke. Whelp, onto more ARA Development. (G1 and G2 are connected).

ANYWAY, do we at least know why this happened? It is just all so sudden.

Quote: "Love has no fear, and no vengeance." |

:t: :m_o: :a: :i: :m: :r: :u: :k: :i: :i: | mEaHKlH.pngAndekas

pure_muscle.png

Really?! This has to be a joke. Whelp, onto more ARA Development. (G1 and G2 are connected).

ANYWAY, do we at least know why this happened? It is just all so sudden.

No one knows for sure beside Lego themselves. But I think it's safe to say it was their poor marketing and the general lack of interest in buildable figures.

te0FrhT.jpg                                                                                                                            

This is sad news. It make me want to cry. But, still, I hope Lego doesn't wholesale give up on constracion figures (after Star Wars, anyways). Hopefully we will get a successor to Bionicle, and maybe even further down the line, a G3. But, right now, I'm very saddened and nervous.

Forever remember the Podu

R.I.P. Hahli, Lesovikk, and Ehlek. Died of Green Plastic Syndrome.

Pridaddy will always be with us

I dunno, I think it's probably the Star Wars constraction sets that helped kill Bionicle, since they seem to be getting more marketing and shelf space, which makes me think they're selling better too. If they can use constaction for their most popular license, why should they continue with a weaker theme that is less appealing and not tied in with a major movie?

It had a decent run, anyway, The 2015 Toa were all pretty good, and the animals this year were a highlight too... but in my opinion there were too many dud sets, and the story wasn't exactly a major selling point either. So this really doesn't come as a big surprise to me. I did figure we'd get a third year to wrap stuff up, but I guess that was too optimistic.

:music:

Things Happnens, life sucks, you die...

Oh who am I kidding? We don't have the strain of G2 anymore weighing down the fandom and dividing us on weather or not if the two are connected or not. Now that it is over it is time for us as fans to continue it righteously. I'm doing my part, what about the rest of you?

Edited by Toa Imrukii

pure_muscle.png

This is pretty disappointing for me. I was expecting Bionicle to get at least one more wave of sets next year. But at the same time, it's been clear that constraction is not in the position of strength it once was. The in-house constraction IPs have experienced declining sales for over a decade. The designers, artists, and writers of Bionicle G2 all went to great lengths to recreate or re-imagine all the best aspects of Bionicle, especially its iconic early years, while still trying new things, and I applaud them for giving it their all. But nothing they did could make it 2002 again, and pouring money into marketing the theme as if it were still near the peak of its popularity would not have been a realistic or effective approach.

It will be interesting to see where constraction goes from here, because Jorgen Vig Knudstorp has stated in an interview earlier this year that the future of the CCBS is a priority for the LEGO Group. Since it's still too early for LEGO to have another independent constraction IP in the pipeline, I think its immediate future will depend on constraction spin-offs of already popular series like Star Wars, Super Heroes, and possibly Ninjago or Nexo Knights.

I have yet to watch the last two episodes of The Journey to One, so I hope they offer a satisfactory conclusion. I do not particularly mind series I love ending if they get a chance to appropriately finish telling the story they set out to tell at the outset. In any case, thank you to the creators of the Bionicle G2 sets and story for giving such an iconic franchise a second chance, and here's hoping that one day buildable figures might have their day in the sun once again!

• Upvote 6

This news makes me quite sad. Though, at the same time, at least Bionicle will have a conclusive ending this time. I do really wish it had gone on for just one more year, but oh well.

Here's to whatever Lego does next, and if they ever decide to bring Bionicle back for a third go-around. It's unlikely, but hey. It might happen some day far down the line. Won't hold my breath for it though.

• Upvote 1

1Ydp0mg.jpg

Steam name: Ehksidian

Let us not fret, we all have the power to create a new for that we love. G2 may be over, but our love fo BIONICLE masn't die! I will not allow it!

We all heard the nay-sayers, the doom-sayers, the paranoid, the nervous. In this time let it not be of great sorrows but instead of great creation. Creation anew for that we all love and charish. Regardless of the cause of this we must stand united! Have we learned nothing of the Three Virtues?!?! Brothers and Sisters why must we cry and fret and weep? The time for tears has come long ago, now let us continue these tales together! United! We are a community of greatly talented individuals, why not use that talent and skill? Especially in this time!

Let us build! The time has come.

Let us make MOCs, let us make Lore! Let us stand tgether as one, to help not hinder. To create but not compete to a point of Zealousness and Egotism.

This is all so sad, but why not build now more than ever?

pure_muscle.png

I'm sad that we won't get a third year, but I really enjoyed the two we had, and grateful to LEGO for not only supporting that, but the fans as well. I've published an open letter with a few more specifics in case anybody is interested.
  • Upvote 4

So, today out of the blue I decided to hop on bzpower for no real reason. I  just logged onto my ancient email I had made when I was in elementary school to uncover my log in details; i'm starting college this fall now. I knew that Bionicle had been revived just last year with the G1 toa on the new island of Okoto, which replaced Mata Nui from the beginning of Bionicle. Also, I had noticed on Netflix that there was a new animated series about the new Bionicle sets, so naturally I watched the minuscule amount of episodes. Now, today I see Bionicle has been canceled yet again. What the ........ What is Lego even doing now honestly. 

Edited by toanuvaking100
  • Upvote 5

Im back 3 whole years here and 1 year wasted :/

That's really too bad to hear, but it's understandable. Every time I went into Walmart, I could never find the larger Bionicle sets, such as Tahu and Kopaka this year. I was only able to get Umarak when I went to Toys R' Us on a trip one time, and even when I went back there recently, I couldn't find any G2 sets at all. As much as we all love Bionicle, I suppose this generation is not as interested in buildable figures.

Well, I enjoyed it for what it was, and it was good to have Bionicle back for a while. Hopefully if Lego ever decides to bring it back, they continue on with the G2 story. There's still so much they could do with it, if given enough time.

kudley_sig_2.png

Big time Kudley fan, forever T.U.F.F. Puppy fan!

I'm mostly known as FoxsDumbSeriesMaker on other websites, but here, I'm usually known as General Scales!

RIP Bonkle Gee-Too 2k15-2k16

Hey at least it ended on a better note than G1

If the

Toa sacrificing themselves

is a good ending then I can't really judge you honestly. It was inevitable in the end, at least to me.

pure_muscle.png

This is pretty disappointing for me. I was expecting Bionicle to get at least one more wave of sets next year. But at the same time, it's been clear that constraction is not in the position of strength it once was. The in-house constraction IPs have experienced declining sales for over a decade. The designers, artists, and writers of Bionicle G2 all went to great lengths to recreate or re-imagine all the best aspects of Bionicle, especially its iconic early years, while still trying new things, and I applaud them for giving it their all. But nothing they did could make it 2002 again, and pouring money into marketing the theme as if it were still near the peak of its popularity would not have been a realistic or effective approach.

It will be interesting to see where constraction goes from here, because Jorgen Vig Knudstorp has stated in an interview earlier this year that the future of the CCBS is a priority for the LEGO Group. Since it's still too early for LEGO to have another independent constraction IP in the pipeline, I think its immediate future will depend on constraction spin-offs of already popular series like Star Wars, Super Heroes, and possibly Ninjago or Nexo Knights.

I have yet to watch the last two episodes of The Journey to One, so I hope they offer a satisfactory conclusion. I do not particularly mind series I love ending if they get a chance to appropriately finish telling the story they set out to tell at the outset. In any case, thank you to the creators of the Bionicle G2 sets and story for giving such an iconic franchise a second chance, and here's hoping that one day buildable figures might have their day in the sun once again!

They basically squeezed what was going to be 2017's entire story into the last seven or so minutes of episode 4. Oh, what could've been.

• Upvote 2

the_toa_sig_by_nickinamerica-dbn0wau.png

The Toa- A Bionicle Retelling by NickonAquaMagna http://www.bzpower.com/board/topic/25275-the-toa-a-retelling-of-bionicle/

Well, this is a depressing way to start the day. While I admit that I wasn't as interested in Gen 2 Bionicle as I was Gen 1, I really did like the sets that I got and enjoyed what I read in the books for the most part. I was really hoping to see the story through at least next year.

R.I.P. Gen Bionicle. I will miss you. 

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

What did they expect when they handled the franchise with such a lack of effort and passion.True tragedy. Most shallow LEGO themes last longer than this, honestly its really sad that BIONICLE (BIONICLE of all things!!) would have such a short duration. What a waste. Plus LEGO is just going to blame the brand again. BIONICLE has so much potential to honestly be up there with the best of franchises, but the reboot was yet another disappointment. It has well earned it place up on the shelf with the fantastic four and robocop reboot. Sad that BIONICLE has be put to rest again, when with the right touch it could be the huge beloved franchise it once was and more.

On the plus side G2 is over so thats good  ^_^

• Upvote 9

sam_7163_-_copy.jpg

The Misadventures of

Onipex and Pals! Go watch it now! :biggrin:

I'm sad to see this, especially since I was really expecting one more year. For them to cut the story down and revise the ending, the sets must not have been selling well or something within the company. I appreciate everything that has come out from Lego for Bionicle these past two years and love the set design. 

I do believe that many parts of G2 were not executed properly, whether it be a novice staff running this show on this reboot, but there were a lot of mistakes and oversights, but I can't fault them for making it this far and still delivering a product I thoroughly enjoy. 

• Upvote 1

audio_narration_project_banner_wide.jpg

Bionicle: ANP aims to create narrated versions of all the Bionicle books, with voice actors for each character, and music taken from various media to enhance the story. Check here if you're interested in voicing a character, and here for the chapters that've already been released!

Formerly: Tahu Nuva 3.0

Looking for a Bionicle Beanie. Black one with the symbol on it. Contact me if you are willing to sell

Well, that run was underwhelming (particularly given the initial enthusiasm of just a year ago), but it was bound to happen. Throughout, I never was invested in the lackluster story of the reboot and the villains never interested me in either set or story line. It felt just so phoned in. Well, at least I got two Tahu sets out of it. I call them both BIONICLE Stars.

• Upvote 2

they handled the franchise with such a lack of effort and passion.

How is it that people still think this?  How is it that people ever thought this?

Well, I should think that the cancellation is sheer proof that you are utterly wrong. But what do I know

Not much, I guess.  You may pour your entire heart and soul into something but if the market doesn't take it up you won't be able to afford to continue it.

• Upvote 9

OpAXNpl.jpg

But what do I know

Exactly. You don't know. No one here can claim that the team behind G2 didn't put effort or any passion into creating it, because you weren't on said team. The cancellation just means that it wasn't doing as well as Lego had liked, it doesn't mean that the G2 team didn't put their heart and soul into trying to create something for people to enjoy. Saying that they didn't put any effort into it is just downright rude.

• Upvote 8

UnsuspectingButts.thumb.png.2a71dabd3565a645b7127215b282d46b.png

But what do I know

Exactly. You don't know. No one here can claim that the team behind G2 didn't put effort or any passion into creating it, because you weren't on said team. The cancellation just means that it wasn't doing as well as Lego had liked, it doesn't mean that the G2 team didn't put their heart and soul into trying to create something for people to enjoy. Saying that they didn't put any effort into it is just downright rude.

Wow - Calm yourself; it is no secret that compared to G1, they really didn't try

• Upvote 5

it is no secret that compared to G1, they really didn't try

People have been saying as much since the start of G2, and I can't tell if it's out of genuine ignorance of the effort that's been put into making the reboot into a worthy BIONICLE story or if they are so resistant to the idea that their interests might have shifted over the years that they have to project blame on the designers for why they don't like it as much.

Edited by Bfahome
  • Upvote 17

OpAXNpl.jpg

Back when the Makuta contest video was taken down with something that it was released early and that the proper start of the contest would coincide with "a big announcement", I assume the big announcement would be the reveal of the 2017 sets.

Instead it's this.

I'm surely not alone in saying G2 ended way too early.

:kakama:

• Upvote 6

:kakama: Stone rocks :kakama:

Model Designer at The LEGO Group. Former contributor at New Elementary. My MOCs can be found on Flickr and Instagram

:smilepohatunu: :smilehuki:

What did they expect when they handled the franchise with such a lack of effort and passion.True tragedy. Most shallow LEGO themes last longer than this, honestly its really sad that BIONICLE (BIONICLE of all things!!) would have such a short duration. What a waste. Plus LEGO is just going to blame the brand again. BIONICLE has so much potential to honestly be up there with the best of franchises, but the reboot was yet another disappointment. It has well earned it place up on the shelf with the fantastic four and robocop reboot. Sad that BIONICLE has be put to rest again, when with the right touch it could be the huge beloved franchise it once was and more.

On the plus side G2 is over so thats good  ^_^

Agreed. Bionicle G1 fills me with nostalgia - in a good way. This new Bionicle... was just pathetic. I mean really, cancelled after less than 2 years? It's an embarrassment, and a disgrace to the bionicle name

it is no secret that compared to G1, they really didn't try

People have been saying as much since the start of G2, and I can't tell if it's out of genuine ignorance of the effort that's been put into making the reboot into a worthy BIONICLE story or if they are so resistant to the idea that their interests might have shifted over the years that they have to project blame on the designers for why they don't like it as much.

Please; try to understand. 

With G1, they tried because they were about to go bankrupt

with G2, there was no need to try - Lego is now very successful

G1 lasted 11 years

G2 barely lasted 2

Please do the math

• Upvote 4

Y'know I'm half expecting LEGO to come and and say "Hah! Just Kidding! Here's the rest of G1! Have fun!"

Edited by Toa Imrukii
  • Upvote 4

pure_muscle.png

there was no need to try 

But they did anyway.

(Also, I did the math, not sure how 2010-2001 gets you 11 years.)

Thats beside the point. Also he may have been referring to the story continuing for a bit after thanks to greg

And sure, say they did try. Their efforts led to poor product that ended briefly after. Their efforts speak for themselves. They took the superficial aspects of bionicle and pumped it full of vacuous nonsense and expected it to stand on its own. And guess what, it didn't

Edited by Ids5621

sam_7163_-_copy.jpg

The Misadventures of

Onipex and Pals! Go watch it now! :biggrin:

there was no need to try 

But they did anyway.

(Also, I did the math, not sure how 2010-2001 gets you 11 years.)

Try? In what way? The author literally had to fight the runners of the series just to get character names, and in an interview he essentially said he had to make up most of the things on the fly because the people running it had no clear idea as to where the series was heading.

And also, clearly if they DID try, they didn't try nearly hard enough for a franchise beloved by so many if it was cancelled after two years. It's just another bland reboot that everyone will forget about within the next year. Don't get why Bionicle G2 gets a pass for being lazy while the people defending it will rant and rant about the reboots Hollywood gives us on a regular basis. Face it, facts are facts: It ended because it was handled poorly. There's no way around it.

Edited by BaltaSucks
  • Upvote 3

i'm sure i'll make a proper signature eventually.

not.

So, how 'bout the rest of you guys? As for me I'll be taking the reigns and going ahead and create anew.

pure_muscle.png

So some of these comments are basically saying it's ridiculous to accuse the BIONICLE team of being lazy and uninspired because we weren't on the team and we don't know what their process was. Yet I'd be willing to bet these same people have commented on YouTube channels, blogs, or other media sources that put out something they thought wasn't as good and questioned whether or not they put effort in. You know why? Because the results of any kind of creation shows the level of effort. Be it an article, video editing, you name it. When you see something that is inferior to its comtemporaries you can compare and see where one thing succeeded because their heart was in it while another failed. For example, let's compare first years of video media. G1 had great CGI work from Advance on its animations and posters. G2 had middling animations with cheap drawing designs and went with a narrator format without writing the episodes in such a way that the narrator format would make sense. Jaek has put it very well.

• Upvote 6

I think it's sad to see a line cut short of its time, but truth be told, it was very clear this was coming when the books and comics started being cancelled. I do not think the line's ultimate failure can be attributed to any one particular thing. I'd imagine the paper-thin lore, high set prices (in relative comparison to G1) and market oversaturation with "collect golden elemental doodads" were a large factor.

The sets were objectively the best, and as such lost a certain simplicity and charm that the originals had. It was created to meet all of the downfalls of the original system, perfectly machined to fit exactly what kids should want. And in doing so it lost all its soul and personality. If anything G2 has been a victim of G1's failure as well.

• Upvote 1